A Rant About Homesteads (some spoilers)

On 8/22/2024 at 5:25 AM, Worrbinpike.2957 said:

Just wait a few weeks. I'm sure they will sell decorations in the Gem Shop. No need to craft them, also no timegate. 😄

Thats no solution. So you are telling me its either my real wallet or my in game wallet? Lame.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

On 8/22/2024 at 5:41 AM, Gehenna.3625 said:

To me, it sounds like you're the one keeping yourself from having fun

Except they aren't though. This housing system is time gated and is big grind for certain materials.

Edited by Fireballer.2956
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Mysty Meadows.1425 said:

Homesteads, Legendary items, etc are End Game Content. I call them "STD's". "Something to do". 

I don't think homesteading should be the type of end game content that has a challenge it would make them so much more money if they just had made homesteading extremely accessible to players let their creative side in wildside loose without big limitations. It should be something fun to do in between gameplay not inherently endgame stuff.  Housing should be the one thing in this game thats actually easy. I'm sorry but you just simply don't get keep players creativity.  Fashion & legendaries is one thing homesteading is another. But either way it's so much easier for me to get a cool look for my character than it is for me to decorate my homestead at the moment that should not be the case if we are being honest.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Mysty Meadows.1425 said:

Homesteads, Legendary items, etc are End Game Content. I call them "STD's". "Something to do". 

Who says they are End Game content? It is new content, but why assume it is End Game in a non-question begging way?

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

On 8/20/2024 at 11:02 PM, Logos.5603 said:

LOL. Yea, no way it took you half-hour.

A) They are not as abundant as other materials.

B) I timed myself picking them up and it takes avg1 min per flower intentionally searching for them (using a combination of mounts for speed). This is in part because some are surrounded by creatures. No way you can collect 200 in 30 mins. Maybe 30-40 (enough for 3-4 decorations). Plus the maps don't have enough of the material for you to collect 250 of them anyways.

C) 250 flowers only give you enough for like 20-25 decorations anyways...and given that you can't look at the decoration prior to building them, you might not like what you craft.

Part of the issue is that it discourages experimentation. If every time I want to try something new I need to spend 1 hour fetching flowers for silly stuff like a bed, chair, or torch(!)...I just won't experiment.

Yeah have to say ive got about a full stack in half and hour maybe 45 minutes not sure what your doing wrong but the flowers are very abundant. Now had you said wood i woulda agreed with you. Also flowers are pretty cheap if you dont wana farm em up while doing other things just buy em.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2024 at 6:25 AM, Scar.1793 said:

FFXIV, while housing is difficult to have, you have no timegate on the resources to craft/decorate.

ESO, same. There's none of that.

It's just here.

This is misinformation for FFXIV as there is a time gate on some of the resources to craft/decorate. The difference is those can be avoided buy paying with in game earned Gil (kitten in universe currency) to just buy the completed item or some of the resources. Which you can also do for Gw2 if you wanted just drop some gold.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DragonNero.4259 said:

This is misinformation for FFXIV as there is a time gate on some of the resources to craft/decorate. The difference is those can be avoided buy paying with in game earned Gil (kitten in universe currency) to just buy the completed item or some of the resources. Which you can also do for Gw2 if you wanted just drop some gold.

Could you name a timegated item in FFXIV ? Because I owned a medium house and don't remember a single item being timegated. Worst case some songs and furnitures were locked behind a trial/raid but you could buy it at the auction house.

If you're really talking about specific resources for crafting, it's not really a problem in FFXIV. The heavy majority of furnitures can be crafted for peanuts or a bought for a few gils. The most expensive stuff came from trial/raids.

I decorated the house with no issue at all. FFXIV showers you with furnitures and most are dirt cheap to get. Really not the same here.

Edited by Scar.1793
  • Confused 1

On 8/21/2024 at 3:41 AM, Logos.5603 said:

The whole thing is lame and just busy work.

I take it you have never decorated a Guild Hall? This is a lot cheaper than GHs, actually, but I agree that the Homestead recipes are kind of funny in comparison. 😄

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Scar.1793 said:

Could you name a timegated item in FFXIV ? Because I owned a medium house and don't remember a single item being timegated. Worst case some songs and furnitures were locked behind a trial/raid but you could buy it at the auction house.

If you're really talking about specific resources for crafting, it's not really a problem in FFXIV. The heavy majority of furnitures can be crafted for peanuts or a bought for a few gils. The most expensive stuff came from trial/raids.

I decorated the house with no issue at all. FFXIV showers you with furnitures and most are dirt cheap to get. Really not the same here.

Your message book among some other decorations cant be crafted without some items from beast tribes which are time gated. Hell there's decorations you cant event get unless you have a upgraded rep with the beast tribes or know someone who does (in which case they still had to work through the time gate to get to that point). Just because you can skip most the time gates now via paying someone to get you something or just buying it off the MB in 14 doesn't mean it doesn't exist nor did it exist. Hell most the housing presets require time gated mats and plans via the guild subs and airships  (which we are overlooking the time gate to get a house in itself in 14 now). Also no there is some songs you cant get without doing the duties/quest chains and you cant just buy them off the market board.

Majority of the resources you will ever need for crafting can be bought off the auction house in Gw2 just like how it can be in FF14. Not to mention gold is abundant in gw2 and its not hard to make so long as you actually play the game (I made a few hundred gold last night in a few hours off metas and selling kitten on the auction house).

At the end of the day the housing system in FF14 has been there since shortly after ARR which is 10 years old now where as Gw2s housing system was just added and isn't even 2 weeks old yet. The market is going to rise and fall just like it did in FF14 not all decorations were as easy to get nor cheap as they are these days it happened over time and not over night from watching the markets and the in game economy for FF14 the same will happen with Gw2 it just needs time like all things. Rome wasn't built in a day or even a week or two it took a few years for it to build and settle same with the FF14 , ESO and all the other mmos that have housing systems and markets.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DragonNero.4259 said:

Your message book among some other decorations cant be crafted without some items from beast tribes which are time gated. Hell there's decorations you cant event get unless you have a upgraded rep with the beast tribes or know someone who does (in which case they still had to work through the time gate to get to that point). Just because you can skip most the time gates now via paying someone to get you something or just buying it off the MB in 14 doesn't mean it doesn't exist nor did it exist. Hell most the housing presets require time gated mats and plans via the guild subs and airships  (which we are overlooking the time gate to get a house in itself in 14 now). Also no there is some songs you cant get without doing the duties/quest chains and you cant just buy them off the market board.

Majority of the resources you will ever need for crafting can be bought off the auction house in Gw2 just like how it can be in FF14. Not to mention gold is abundant in gw2 and its not hard to make so long as you actually play the game (I made a few hundred gold last night in a few hours off metas and selling kitten on the auction house).

At the end of the day the housing system in FF14 has been there since shortly after ARR which is 10 years old now where as Gw2s housing system was just added and isn't even 2 weeks old yet. The market is going to rise and fall just like it did in FF14 not all decorations were as easy to get nor cheap as they are these days it happened over time and not over night from watching the markets and the in game economy for FF14 the same will happen with Gw2 it just needs time like all things. Rome wasn't built in a day or even a week or two it took a few years for it to build and settle same with the FF14 , ESO and all the other mmos that have housing systems and markets.

I could learn a thing or two about making gold in GW2 because right now I have no idea. I have a few crafting material I won't need for a legendary gen3 but other than that, I don't know any good method.

I heard about some optimal meta train but I don't see many poppin in the LFG, so I don't know how well it works or if I should look somewhere else.

Used to so fractal T1-T2 but I got bored of it, gave some good money though.

I do think however that they could at the very least review the material cost of furnitures.

Edited by Scar.1793
  • Confused 2

44 minutes ago, Scar.1793 said:

I could learn a thing or two about making gold in GW2 because right now I have no idea. I have a few crafting material I won't need for a legendary gen3 but other than that, I don't know any good method.

I heard about some optimal meta train but I don't see many poppin in the LFG, so I don't know how well it works or if I should look somewhere else.

Used to so fractal T1-T2 but I got bored of it, gave some good money though.

I do think however that they could at the very least review the material cost of furnitures.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/21/2024 at 3:41 AM, Logos.5603 said:

Initial impression on Homesteads: Good, but come on!!!!

I want to build my homestead. That was a big reason why I purchased the expansion. What kind of system requires you to pick up 5-15 honey flowers or whatever before you can build a BED? It is already egregious enough the amount of raw materials it takes. The whole thing is lame and just busy work. I want to have fun, not fish for materials longer than I'm building. (BTW, many of the decorations require this item, and the new wood.) If you don't really want me to have fun, and instead go on a scavenger hunt for these things whenever I need to build something, then just say so upfront. "You can build, BUT you need to spend longer collecting these new items which are a bit rare in the map. Built the wrong thing? Oops, back to scavenging! Have fun building!"

Also, why the hell are we being time gated from buying homestead materials? Why? It's already going to take a while. (I mean, I know why...padding the run time, etc., but really!?)

Well it's not really different from a Scribe experience, believe me, btw I agree with You that the Time gated Stuff it's really a nonsense most of the time.

• Confused 1

I guess the people complaining in this thread are the reason the flowers or so heavily price gouged. Because people know these are in heavy demand by people that can't seem to build a decent stockpile 

If you  never played a game like animal crossing, this is pretty normal for decorating a home... Or an entire island. In fact... This is pretty much right on the money with Animal crossing New Horizons pacing 

It's a long term project. Hell this is the cheapest I've seen it in an mmo. Because it's FAR WORSE in FF14, where desirable decorations are random rare drops that you're fighting the entire raid party for on a dice roll.

Or it requires you to spend nearly 18million gil to level all crafters and gatherers to be self sufficient enoigh to build your decorations. Or be ready to dump 80k gil or more per item

Edited by Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497 said:

I guess the people complaining in this thread are the reason the flowers or so heavily price gouged.

If you  never played a game like animal crossing, this is pretty normal for decorating a home... Or an entire island. In fact... This is pretty much right on the money with Animal crossing New Horizons pacing 

It's a long term project. Hell this is the cheapest I've seen it in an mmo. Because it's FAR WORSE in FF14, where desirable decorations are random rare drops that you're fighting the entire raid party for on a dice roll.

Or it requires you to spend nearly 18million gil to level all crafters and gatherers to be self sufficient enoigh to build your decorations. Or be ready to dump 80k gil or more per item

Pretty normal does not equal good practice. The fact that folks tolerate the grind (which is ridiculous to me) doesn't mean this is good practice. 

• Confused 5

I will say I had many of the same concerns when ESO housing came out.  It was ridiculously expensive in mats.  But over the longer term, those built up and massive decorating projects became ever more feasible.

That doesn't mean GW2 can't handle some tweaking (especially of things like ultra rare mats only gained halfway through a legendary -- a dev probably just saw the item name and thought it would be great for a chandelier).  However, I'm not going to be immediately upset here like I was in ESO because it may well eventually settle into much less of a problem than it is at the outset.

Plus, well, there's so much else to do that I haven't had time to do more than drop the pre-order table near the traditional kodan bed.  I'm ok with letting mats build up from play and achievements before I worry about customizing the homestead.

On 8/26/2024 at 6:39 PM, Logos.5603 said:

Pretty normal does not equal good practice. The fact that folks tolerate the grind (which is ridiculous to me) doesn't mean this is good practice. 

Except it's not much of a grind? It's not like the bs that's the Obsidian Armor. It's not the WvW Legendary Armor's horrendous 22 month grind. It's not a horrendous grind of the games worst currency ever (research notes).

It's just a resource node. It's cheap enough that you feel like you're making progress on your projects. And just expensive enough that it's a long term goal that doesn't feel like a chore. And it's an effort that can easily be mixed into other game tasks.

You can increase the yield by various in game buffs, glyphs, and what have you. You can sell crap you don't need to buy it, the prices will likely drop in a month when the market is oversaturated. If you're in a rush, you can use multiple characters., Swapping to new map instances also resets these nodes from what I noticed.

EDIT:
For those who do not know. If you have an infinite harvesting tool, you can put glyphs on them. There are two glyphs that are VERY valuable for farming these things.

The Glyph of Bounty, which is a global 33% chance for an extra harvest.
And the Glyph of Overload, which can guarantee an extra harvest but requires more setup.

The bounty is better if you're in a hurry and are just parking alts somewhere. The Overload is better if you know a way to charge it fast.

If you do not have that, there is a merchant within the crafting area of the Lions Arch that sells gathering tool with a chance for an extra hit.

Edited by Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497
  • Like 1