Using Mastery to stop progression of story!

Stopping Story progression due to being forced to level a mastery is garbage content.

Let the story progress and simply give the person the ability to use the item in the training area only, like you do with Shield or rifle or all those other training areas from Lake Doric to Queensdale.

Really garbage, and thanks to the streamers as well as chats for the spoilers.

• Like 5
  • Confused 21

It encourages spending some time on the map, doing some events and local hearts. Really no different to initially unlocking gliding, then shroom jumping and updraft gliding in HoT. Or in PoF having to get the rapor mastery to proceed. Or skiff in EoD.

Edited by Chyro.1462
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Hasn't it been that way since they were introduced in HoT, though? Nothing new, no surprise here?

Yes, this has been complained about since HoT. Traditionally you'd only need to be level X to continue, which you would have naturally reached unless you rushed the story, whereas GW2 requires a specific mastery that is generally locked until it's required. Experience and mastery points should have been separate, allowing for the same play how you want style.

• Like 1
  • Confused 12

HoT - they gave you gliding at the very first instance.  Yeah you could not talk to a vendor or could not access sections of the map but it would not prevent you from doing the story
PoF - Mounts were given to you as part of the story content.  The mounts were given to you once completing a heart but you did not need to max out a mastery level to use the mount.  It also did not stop you from progressing the story.
EoD - Skiff was given to you by completing a heart, unlocking the rest of skiff options was a mastery, but optional and not required for story progression.
SoTo - Masteries did nothing really.  Oh you can open a chest now.  Oh you can do things that you already unlocked in HoT and PoF, neat.

Encourage is one thing, but all out stopping progress is not encourage.   The major issue I have is the spoilers as well as the story content you end up doing to earn XP to be able to progress the story takes away from the story.

• Like 2
  • Confused 14

4 minutes ago, Quirin.1076 said:

HoT - they gave you gliding at the very first instance.  Yeah you could not talk to a vendor or could not access sections of the map but it would not prevent you from doing the story

7 minutes ago, Quirin.1076 said:

PoF - Mounts were given to you as part of the story content.  The mounts were given to you once completing a heart but you did not need to max out a mastery level to use the mount.  It also did not stop you from progressing the story.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 11

2 hours ago, Quirin.1076 said:

Stopping Story progression due to being forced to level a mastery is garbage content.

Disagreed. Not only it's not anything new, but it makes sense from the narrative standpoint.

45 minutes ago, Quirin.1076 said:

HoT - they gave you gliding at the very first instance.  (...)  but it would not prevent you from doing the story

Nope, you're misremembering things.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 10

Without spoilers, I'm on chapter 8, and there's only been the one mastery required so far.  It only requires the initial two points be spent, and I had more than that by the time I got there.  It was just the time it took to level, and even that went pretty quick.  I mean, I was kind of kicking myself for having bought access through the WvW currency, because I expected a scavenger hunt again much later in the story, but that's just on me.  I thought they're doing a pretty good job of keeping those "pauses" interesting and well-paced, myself, and with reasonable story-based explanations.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Disagreed. Not only it's not anything new, but it makes sense from the narrative standpoint.

Nope, you're misremembering things.

Masteries were used as part of the story, but naturally.  The amount of XP you earned would progress the mastery naturally.

None said hey here is a new Mastery, surprise, before progressing the story you have to earn xp unlock the Mastery.

• Confused 12

Just now, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

Well if you're watching a stream what did you expect??? 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Streamers use Thumbnails on Twitter and YouTube to encourage people to click on their content.  They will use new content in their Thumbnails.
Not watching streamers

• Like 1
  • Confused 9

47 minutes ago, Quirin.1076 said:

Masteries were used as part of the story, but naturally.  The amount of XP you earned would progress the mastery naturally.

No, it wasn't all that different from what it's now. You still had to level up the mastery.

47 minutes ago, Quirin.1076 said:

None said hey here is a new Mastery, surprise, before progressing the story you have to earn xp unlock the Mastery.

But... that's exactly what it was. Just like it is now.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

No, it wasn't all that different from what it's now. You still had to level up the mastery.

But... that's exactly what it was. Just like it is now.

SO the second when you learned about gliding you had to use updraft to progress the story?

• Confused 8

3 minutes ago, Quirin.1076 said:

SO the second when you learned about gliding you had to use updraft to progress the story?

You have to fill up the exp bar to learn gliding as one of the first steps in the story. You arrive in verdant brink after the story instance and soon after you have to learn the first mastery to glide to be able to continue.

If someone previously unlocked gliding by visiting a EoD map cause that auto unlocks gliding, one may not experience this.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

the first mastery is Glider Basics, you're literally REQUIRED to put points into it to be able to glide in HoT, and is required to complete the third story step on HoT

stop whinging

Got it, so First story step gliding mid sentence talking with Ritlock of First story HoT you needed basic gliding.  got it. 500k xp first mastery earned in mastery introduction got it.

Oh yeah you had to unequip your weapons which doing so resets your sigils and resets stats on your weapons, to use basic glide.  Got it.  My bad, totally never played this game before.

Totally forgot all this thanks for helping me out.

• Confused 13

2 minutes ago, Quirin.1076 said:

Got it, so First story step gliding mid sentence talking with Ritlock of First story HoT you needed basic gliding.  got it. 500k xp first mastery earned in mastery introduction got it.

Oh yeah you had to unequip your weapons which doing so resets your sigils and resets stats on your weapons, to use basic glide.  Got it.  My bad, totally never played this game before.

Still whinging

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Quirin.1076 said:

At first you clearly misremembered what masteries did in HoT for the story progression, that one's fine, misremembering things happens. But now after you understood you were wrong, you're just making up nonsense. Take the information you learned (relearned?) and move on.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Well maybe there is a new person creating the content.  Used to be a lot smoother and made more sense because it worked within the story progression.   

Now it is like filling out boxes in a survey and less of a living world story.  

• Confused 8

"Stop locking story progress behind masteries"

Another box checked in my "People complaints" bingo, lol

Seriously now, eat some food for XP boost, banner or booster itself and stop complaining. It's gonna take a few minutes, you'll explore a bit of map and it's not like there are some OH MY GOD level spoilers anyway 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

Hasn't it been that way since they were introduced in HoT, though? Nothing new, no surprise here?

Yes, it has been that way when HoT launched. And it was so universally disliked then, that they massively cut down on this in all subsequent content. After HoT i have never again been stopped in story by lack of a mastery. Until now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

38 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yes, it has been that way when HoT launched. And it was so universally disliked then, that they massively cut down on this in all subsequent content. After HoT i have never again been stopped in story by lack of a mastery. Until now.

You didn't need to get skiff mastery to proceed in EoD? didn't need to learn skyscale mastery and rift scanning in SotO? Didn't need mount masteries in PoF? All required at certain story parts. In JW theres a single point that requires a very early mastery. And people complain.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Why are you watching a streamer if you don't want spoilers. Just stay off twitch till you're done with story. If you just want drops you can mute the tab and tab back to the game. It is not their fault you made a silly choice.

Needing x mastery to continue story can be jarring certainly, but it's not something I personally have had an issue with this expansion since I got so sidetracked to the point I finished the lowland mastery achievement before I even unlocked my homestead. So I have plenty exp and masteries. For you though, the early masteries are really not much exp to farm and I think if you slowed down to enjoy the map you'd be happier. 

Really loving the expansion so far, I'll go into the second map tomorrow!

• Like 5