Janthir Wilds is pretty tough on the second playthrough

First off, over all I really like Janthir Wilds, love the spears, the lore, the new zones, it's great, and I can't wait for the new updates I'm certain they will be great; however this kind of story telling has too much exposition in the beginning. Not only is there a lot of it, but Stoic Alder talks so slow it just feels like he's trolling me. The first time, not that great but at least it's something new, on my third play through I'm over it. There has to be a better way of telling stories by avoiding too much exposition. Also, some of the quests are cool, the meta is very neat, but a lot of the quests are not that cool. Cleaning up dust, yard work, picking up warclaw poop, preparing fish step by step...wtf is going on? Some of this stuff really is painful to get through. I hope the devs are taking this feedback and applying it to future updates.

I just don't want to get into the next update all excited just to end up doing more yard work and cleaning up warclaw poop after listening to twenty minutes of more exposition.

Edited by Witch Engine.2305
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

Pooooooooooooooooky

yes pppppaaaaaaaw

I think with the slow talk they wanted to emulate the laziness and carefree behavior of bears. But for every dialogue ? Bad design imo, how to kill your audience's interest in the story 101

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 4

Has unfortunately been a thing for quite a while now. If you remove the endless monologues, you will probably be done with the story in half the time.

Put something to watch on your second display, read a book, listen to a podcast. That is what I'm doing, that is my advice. I've also muted the NPC dialogs that are constant in the background.

• Confused 2

15 hours ago, Witch Engine.2305 said:

First off, over all I really like Janthir Wilds, love the spears, the lore, the new zones, it's great, and I can't wait for the new updates I'm certain they will be great; however this kind of story telling has too much exposition in the beginning. Not only is there a lot of it, but Stoic Alder talks so slow it just feels like he's trolling me. The first time, not that great but at least it's something new, on my third play through I'm over it. There has to be a better way of telling stories by avoiding too much exposition. Also, some of the quests are cool, the meta is very neat, but a lot of the quests are not that cool. Cleaning up dust, yard work, picking up warclaw poop, preparing fish step by step...wtf is going on? Some of this stuff really is painful to get through. I hope the devs are taking this feedback and applying it to future updates.

I just don't want to get into the next update all excited just to end up doing more yard work and cleaning up warclaw poop after listening to twenty minutes of more exposition.

The exposition and going through the story is fine. Sometimes even welcome. They just need to add a skip dialogue button like in just about every other RPG with replay value. I did the story on a second character, and I found it so borked that you can't skip dialogue, but several of the story quests are gated by achievements and masteries that require gameplay. Those get completely skipped over if you already unlocked them on another character. You automatically skip gameplay, but have to listen to dialogue again and again? Who on the team decided that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do events you like and you get those renown heart tokens. Exchange them and the heart that you dont like is done. Easy peasy.

For second playthroughs i agree the can add a skip option. Not for the first though. 

Edited by Cronospere.8143

4 minutes ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

Do events you like and you get those renown heart tokens. Exchange them and the heart that you dont like is done. Easy peasy.

For second playthroughs i agree the can add a skip option. Not for the first though. 

You can't spend those tokens on characters that haven't completed the heart before.

I enjoyed the expansion enough overall but I do not know how I'm going to find the interest to playthrough on my alts. The amount of slow monologues and talking to like 10 characters separately only to wait while they each recite their lines so long it feels like they just read you the entire bible and Lord of the Rings series back to back. It's too much, give me a skip button at least repeat playthroughs on alts. It really feels like they padded the expansion with the extreme long, slow delivery.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I enjoyed my first playthrough of the story. It was a nice change of pace from what we've had previously. However, during that first playthrough I was already thinking to myself  "This is going to suck on subsequent playthroughs", because of the insane amount of exposition that goes on. They really need to implement ways of skipping all the dialogue after you've completed the story once.

Edited by Zeph.5927
  • Like 1

I find that the issue is that they monologue to the pc. Im not sure if they couldnt get enough voicelines from them but its really wierd how a person will talk to your face, with pauses that naturally would have a person chime in with at the very least "uh huh", and just keep going for unironically like 3 minutes. I dont think people would have been complaining as much if there were actual conversations going on and not a one sided paragraph.

Also i felt like they were going for the "slow, methodical, spiritual, connected to nature" etc. type of culture but it sounds more like somebody trying to convince you that they are in tune with their spirit by spouting random bs and filling out sentances with words that carry no meaning. If the bears were to be slow and methodical and wise, they should have gone for the "less is more" approach to their dialogue. 

On 8/26/2024 at 8:08 AM, Witch Engine.2305 said:

I pretty much can only bear the GW2's main stories once and no more. And it's all because of the excessive and/or uninspired conversations. So I just play it on my main and let my alts enter the zones in alternative ways. Like now via the Homestead.

On 8/26/2024 at 2:38 AM, Scar.1793 said:

Pooooooooooooooooky

yes pppppaaaaaaaw

I think with the slow talk they wanted to emulate the laziness and carefree behavior of bears. But for every dialogue ? Bad design imo, how to kill your audience's interest in the story 101

Even Quaggans talk faster.