Where is the OP Spear Mesmer Build?

GuruChaz.9314

I'd just like to know what builds people are using. I've been sitting here trying to figure out what to do with the kitten thing and....I mean, aside from stick the pointy end into things, I got nothing. It doesn't really seem to synergize well with any of our traitlines. I'm currently running full Celestial, so my stats and abilities are pretty level. No strengths, no weaknesses, and I'm currently running:

Domination: 2-2-1
Illusions: 2-1-1
Chronomancer: 2-2-3

But honestly, it's pretty meh. I can hold my own in a fight until the elites show up, but I don't dare go toe-to-toe with an elite using this spear. That's gotten me killed a few times already, but with staff? I can wear down anything over time with staff.

• Haha 4

Spear is a beautiful weapon aside from a few issues, but I think the build it's waiting for is in the future with some other changes/additions.

That being said it still combos nicely with a bunch of different weapons, of course GS and sw/x for double melee.

Weirdly as much as I dislike rifle, I've started to experiment with a rifle/spear mirage full zerker and river relic, but again traits and so on aren't there yet. Play time is infrequent atm, want to mess around with either Dom or Illu with dune cloak. Spear 3 clarity is nice personal heal, just wish rifle did more damage. Edit- in ow only at the moment as totally new control setup testing action cam on GFN because latency doesn't like autohotkey, and new mouse with weird button placement feels like I'm playing from scratch again. Probably take a while to figure out new keybinds etc
😕

Edited by Curunen.8729
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, ZephidelGRS.9520 said:

It synergizes with all of the Phantasm/illusion traits, and especially Virtuoso's Phantasmal Blades. The 2x Phantasms give you Quickness, Fury and some Might. On full Berserker's with 1 Assassin piece, I'm easily hitting 30-32k without weapon swap. 

God I hate virutuoso....I like my clones. I like that things hit my clones instead of me. I hate that Virt takes away my clones.

Buuuuuuuuuut, what the hell, I'll give it a try. I was already kinda building around my phantasms. Empowered IllusionsVicious ExpressionPhantasmal Force, and right now Chronophantasma since that's kinda the best phantasm skill, I think at least.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Depends on where you're playing, really. Snowcrows has released power virtuoso with spear - they haven't updated the chrono builds yet, so it's unclear whether they'll be adding spears to those or not. I've also seen a few power mirage builds using spear for open world, but I don't think they've reached the main build sites yet.

I present to you my silly little celestial open world build

The idea is to summon your phantasams, fill them with boons either through shatters or using Chaos Vortex then have persistence of memory do the rest. Switching to spear with all that quickness and alacrity and permanent 25 might and other goodies to ambush around frels nice. It floats pretty well between weapon sets and you are constantly moving and dashing and blinking and everything is on such low cooldown. 

I am dreaming that some old staff skins that look like spears will be turned into actual spears as well and have a bit of a Tahkayun's Edge and Tahkayun's Reverse Grip Edge situation but with say Sunspear. The grips are vastly different and will make people go back to old areas to farm those which are plusses anyway you see it.

8 hours ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

I'd just like to know what builds people are using. I've been sitting here trying to figure out what to do with the kitten thing and....I mean, aside from stick the pointy end into things, I got nothing. It doesn't really seem to synergize well with any of our traitlines. I'm currently running full Celestial, so my stats and abilities are pretty level. No strengths, no weaknesses, and I'm currently running:

But honestly, it's pretty meh. I can hold my own in a fight until the elites show up, but I don't dare go toe-to-toe with an elite using this spear. That's gotten me killed a few times already, but with staff? I can wear down anything over time with staff.

Why would you run celestial on a build with 0 conditions.. That does negative damage.

The only reason to run the illusions traitline is phantasmal haste and you didnt take it. Your build has no fury. take dueling over domination when solo.

The extra clone on shatter doesn't do anything in pvesince spear generates clones like crazy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'm having a good time with power Mirage for open world, berserker's,  dueling 1-2-3, domination 1-2-1, mirage 2-2-1 with greatsword for range. I can't claim it to be meta, I'm not hardcore but I've had no issues with open world content, it's very survivable.

6 hours ago, Nephalem.8921 said:

Why would you run celestial on a build with 0 conditions.. That does negative damage.

The only reason to run the illusions traitline is phantasmal haste and you didnt take it. Your build has no fury. take dueling over domination when solo.

The extra clone on shatter doesn't do anything in pvesince spear generates clones like crazy.

I actually took the Illusion line for the distortion. Phantasms spawn with distortion, and then transfer that distortion back to me. I thought it would give more survivability, although if it did it wasn't really noticable.

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, Curunen.8729 said:

I've started to experiment with a rifle/spear mirage

I'm doing the same with a cele Chrono and it seems to work reasonably well. The idea was basically to gear with what ANet is currently favoring/paying attn to: cele gear and the newest weapons (SotO, JW). If that's what they have top-of-mind, might as well give it a try, no?

I'm certainly not going to be setting any DPS benchmarks 🤣, but it puts out a lot of AoE both DPS and support (group/self as needed per the encounter) and it seems like a pretty solid combination for the map's content.

1 hour ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

I actually took the Illusion line for the distortion. Phantasms spawn with distortion, and then transfer that distortion back to me. I thought it would give more survivability, although if it did it wasn't really noticable.

That's not how persistence of memory works. It transfers boons, not effects.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ZephidelGRS.9520 said:

None, because your premise is wrong.

No one is saying Spear Mesmer is OP lmao, but Mesmer got the best Spear and everything else is meh. Which is depressing, but hey, simple bonk stick is simple bonk stick.

Mesmer did not get the best spear...lol

On 8/28/2024 at 5:38 PM, ZephidelGRS.9520 said:

None, because your premise is wrong.

No one is saying Spear Mesmer is OP lmao, but Mesmer got the best Spear and everything else is meh. Which is depressing, but hey, simple bonk stick is simple bonk stick.

Revenant spear says hello ( and absolutely crushes Mes spear in DPS at least 

9 hours ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

Distortion is not a boon. It wont get transferred by the adept trait. It is a pvp trait to protect them there but honestly i would take quickness in pvp too.

8 hours ago, Sentinel.5731 said:

Revenant spear says hello ( and absolutely crushes Mes spear in DPS at least 

Rev won't get nerfed though... only Mes. They just slapped the Mirage Relic of Rivers build for no reason 😞

Edited by Nemhy.5230
  • Confused 1

On 8/29/2024 at 11:21 AM, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

Celestial is your problem here you are better off running Marauders/dragons or assassin/berserker. 

You survive by killing whatever it is quickly. 

• Confused 1

On 8/29/2024 at 12:42 PM, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

God I hate virutuoso....I like my clones. I like that things hit my clones instead of me. I hate that Virt takes away my clones.

Buuuuuuuuuut, what the hell, I'll give it a try. I was already kinda building around my phantasms. Empowered IllusionsVicious ExpressionPhantasmal Force, and right now Chronophantasma since that's kinda the best phantasm skill, I think at least.

You can get good burst numbers with the Mirage ambush and full clones. I was getting 40k with full boons on fights with more than one enemy. 

The main advantage of spear is upfront damage and AoE. Which makes it really ideal as back bench weapon/build for any PvE fight that requires AoE.

Mesmer prior to this didn't have anyone outside of shattering. 

1 hour ago, Varis.5467 said:

Really??? When was this???????

It wasn't for no reason, and it was 3 days after launch. It was a legit fix to improper coding.  

• Relic of Rivers: Fixed an issue that caused this relic to trigger on all instances of Mirage Cloak.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, ZephidelGRS.9520 said:

I'm assuming they meant changing the Relic to proc in combat only, as you could theoretically stack a full stack out of combat before. Otherwise it doesn't seem to be anything different from how I was using it.

No, it's for mirrors and other sources, do u play mirage sir? It's more than dodge that gives u cloak

• Like 2
  • Confused 2