It’s eerily quiet about the new legendaries

Arena Net has been awfully quiet about the new legendaries. As a main feature of the expansion, we have not had any teasers about how they will look or if there will be any special upgrades to them.

*looking at you wizard vault spear/SoTO Armors*

Legendaries are part of the core expansion experience and it is surprising that nothing has been shown at all to try to drive motivation or to continue the hype.

With SoTO we got at least the concept art for the armors. 

Could it be due to how the feedback was received for the armors?

what are everyone’s thoughts on this?

• Confused 14

It would be nice to see some art or in game assets for the spear at least but they're probably saving that for the run up to the release.

I'd like to know what to expect when crafting it, I suspect it'll be similar to the EoD Legendaries in cost but was disappointed that they didn't add a collection like the one for SotO's armour that showed what to expect/collect.

• Like 2

I think being quiet about upcoming features is just par for the course for ANet. Not really anything to be concerned over.

Besides, there are gonna be people hating on the design whether we can see it beforehand or not, why would they want all that complaining before it's even in the game? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Mithral.8516 said:

Besides, there are gonna be people hating on the design whether we can see it beforehand or not, why would they want all that complaining before it's even in the game? 

Well, that's a good point, people complaining about it when it's in the game at least are complaining about what it actually is rather than what they think (or thought) it would be. 

We'll probably see teasers for the spear in late October or really November as it's due to come in the November release.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Journi.7094 said:

Arena Net has been awfully quiet about the new legendaries. As a main feature of the expansion, we have not had any teasers about how they will look or if there will be any special upgrades to them.

*looking at you wizard vault spear/SoTO Armors*

Legendaries are part of the core expansion experience and it is surprising that nothing has been shown at all to try to drive motivation or to continue the hype.

With SoTO we got at least the concept art for the armors. 

Could it be due to how the feedback was received for the armors?

what are everyone’s thoughts on this?

Doesn't the final reward of lowland shore mastery count as a "teaser"?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pifil.5193 said:

We'll probably see teasers for the spear in late October or really November as it's due to come in the November release.

Exactly! We barely even had janthir promotion until the week before, and that was a whole expac. We're not gonna have promotion for one weapon three months ahead.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2024 at 6:12 PM, Pifil.5193 said:

It would be nice to see some art or in game assets for the spear at least but they're probably saving that for the run up to the release.

I'd like to know what to expect when crafting it, I suspect it'll be similar to the EoD Legendaries in cost but was disappointed that they didn't add a collection like the one for SotO's armour that showed what to expect/collect.

I'm also interested in the recipe. SotO was nice enough to give hints at what to gather beforehand.

• Like 1

I too was confused as to why there is so little information on the legendaries. In SotO they gave out full information on how much of each item would be needed months before the armors were even released. What do we know for certain today?

• Essences will be involved, probably via amalgamated essences
  • Mursaat Runestones will be involved in some way
  • the mastery achievement items will be involved

It's basically nothing and no concrete numbers on any of it. I think this is deliberate, they want to avoid a rush like the armor rush in early soto. But why? 

I have some very specific speculation on what the recipe will be, but it's ultimately all conjecture. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, GeraldBC.4927 said:

I too was confused as to why there is so little information on the legendaries. In SotO they gave out full information on how much of each item would be needed months before the armors were even released. What do we know for certain today?

• Essences will be involved, probably via amalgamated essences
  • Mursaat Runestones will be involved in some way
  • the mastery achievement items will be involved

It's basically nothing and no concrete numbers on any of it. I think this is deliberate, they want to avoid a rush like the armor rush in early soto. But why? 

I have some very specific speculation on what the recipe will be, but it's ultimately all conjecture. 

The simplest reason is that they don't want us to pre-farm materials. Doing so means we spend less time actually playing the new content as it comes out. They want us playing as much as possible and as long as possible. That's why the NPCs talk super slow, the story is longer than it should be, and why achievement hunting is so highly incentivized.

Take the obby armor, for example. I was one of those that pre-farmed everything I could so that on the release day of the T1 obby armor, I had all 3 sets on day one. Needless to say the amount of play time I put into SotO after that was greatly reduced.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

It was not totally deceptive.

It was absolutely deceptive, because it had me work towards something that was never implemented as such into the game.

The concept art looked stunningly beautiful, but the actual thing looks just grotesque: https://i.imgur.com/NeYcMOQ.jpeg 😣

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

13 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

It was absolutely deceptive, because it had me work towards something that was never implemented as such into the game.

The concept art looked stunningly beautiful, but the actual thing looks just grotesque: https://i.imgur.com/NeYcMOQ.jpeg 😣

Its called CONCEPT art for a reason. Its how rhe devs conceptualised the idea, but in practise they had limitations on the engine, rigging and what not. A concept is not beholden to ANY restrictions.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

you are aware that concept art is just that, the concept, not the actual finished delivery.

concept art is made by artists, but devs have to translate that into game, with skins that have to fit existing rigging for character models and animations and esp in gw2 where the races actually have different rigs unlike most mmos which use humans with different heads....

also, the concept art you linked was delivered pretty well imo, you rarely see so little difference between concept and delivery.

Edited by Cameirus.8407
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

Needless to say the amount of play time I put into SotO after that was greatly reduced.

Agreed, I've gotten the Obsidian & Suffused Pieces I wanted, and pretty much have never returned to SotO. There was plenty to do (grind) for the year it came out, but after that there's not really much of a point.

Gotta admit, having Legendary "complete" the game makes it so freeing. You can basically do whatever you want, whenever, change your appearance and build on the fly, etc. There's no real driver for grinding unless you want skins or Gemstore upgrades.

6 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I've told you this before but I'll say it again since you forget: Nothing in the history of anything has ever looked exactly like the concept art. That's why it's called a concept. It's a baseline idea that is always modified before it is finalized. It's not deception, it's just design choice, or in some cases necessity due to limitations.  I get that you don't like the look of the obby armor, and that is totally valid, but don't go around saying it's deceptive.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

The simplest reason is that they don't want us to pre-farm materials. Doing so means we spend less time actually playing the new content as it comes out. They want us playing as much as possible and as long as possible. That's why the NPCs talk super slow

NPC talk slow because it's easier to make the deep kodan voice by talking slowly.