[POLL] What do you think about...

XenesisII.1540

Should control effects have a maximum duration of 1 second or less in wvw?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should control effects have a maximum duration of 1 second or less in wvw?

• Yes, interesting idea.
    • No, everything is fine as is.
    • Maybe, I have a unique answer.
  2. 2. Do you like milkshakes?

• Yes to brainfreeze.
    • No to dairy.
    • What does this have to do with crowd control?

Control effects (stun, daze, float, sink, all the others are pretty much instant) all having a maximum duration of 1 second or less in wvw?

Since this game does not have diminishing returns for crowd control like a game like world of warcraft has.

Not all classes have a healthy access to stability, and mostly have to rely on guardians/revs/sometimes mesmers, for decent group access

Single stun break skills are sometimes not enough in zerg fight, or cc spam scenarios from certain specs.

Do you think this would be a healthy change to combat?

• Confused 3

Wouldn't change anything in zerg fights and cc spam scenarios, because cc doesn't stack and longer durations simply get overwritten anyway. Would be very bad for small scale tho.

Players are supposed to die in a PvP game mode. CC can kill players - often because they misplay and not because of a lack of counterplay (this includes myself) - and that's a good thing. Keep it that way.

Edited by Zyreva.1078
  • Thanks 1

1) Yes, interesting idea: With the emphasis on the interesting idea part. I don't think this is the solution, but I do think we should be looking for one. Even on a build with a lot of stab/stunbreaks it is often possible to get overwhelmed by cc, and the thing about that is that it just isn't much fun. It's not even really much fun as the attacker, if you're the sort of player who likes to fight. May as well just root us in place as soon as combat begins, eliminate dodging et al. and let us whack at each other with large sticks . . .

2) Yes to brainfreeze: I can't recall the last time I had a milkshake, and your bringing it up hasn't given me a hankering for one, but I do enjoy them and wouldn't turn one down if you were offering, excepting that I don't really trust you and would assume you'd hocked a loogie in there or something, but that probs has more to do with my personal worldview than it does with your character so don't take offense . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Gop.8713 said:

2) Yes to brainfreeze: I can't recall the last time I had a milkshake, and your bringing it up hasn't given me a hankering for one, but I do enjoy them and wouldn't turn one down if you were offering, excepting that I don't really trust you and would assume you'd hocked a loogie in there or something, but that probs has more to do with my personal worldview than it does with your character so don't take offense . . .

Dang... I would never.... not even to my greatest enemy... just not in my nature to do something that nasty to someone else, not when I believe in karma.... 😖

Haven't had a milkshake in a while either, cut back on dairy and sugar for a few years now.. ☹️

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

As cele is being nerfed am i discovered a wonderful passion for spear staff warrior and hamer warrior. Spellbreaker and Berserker. I think cc is totally fine! Because i use it all the time to my great advantage. My hammer build is just for that and it played today great i had a lot of fun.

The problems I have with a lot of skills is that, in my opinion, they should be offense or defense but not both.  And, if it does both, it definitely shouldn't nearly one shot people.  Ranger sword 3 for example: serpent's strike, is a leap, has evade, hits hard (think the lowest I've hit anyone this past month with it was for 10k, as high as 13k).  Thief (underwater) spear 2 (not that a lot of people fight there): flanking dive, is an evade, low initiative, hits like a truck (usually 8k every time).  You can actually win almost every single underwater fight just spamming this, I do all the time.  Imagine blocking an attack and your attacker takes 12k damage just because you used a block?  That's basically what these skills do, avoid damage while dealing absurd damage.  I know, kind of off topic.  I do think that some of the CC skills need to be toned down some, ele focus skill gale for example, 4 sec knockdown.  But not sure if it's better to lower that to 1-2 secs or add diminishing returns on successive CC.  Not sure I contributed much to the discussion this time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MedievalThings.5417 said:

Not sure I contributed much to the discussion this time

You described what you see ingame and how you and others use it. CC is by definition the strongest class of skills ingame. CC makes your opponent utterly defenseless. And can put them even in a more disadvantagous position than where they started(displacement, repositioning of you/allies). But CC has also its own set of skills that counter it completely, Stability and stunbreaks and to some form evades. CCs are dealbreakers if you know how to use CC and in lesser extend SOFT CC you know how to play. IMO. If you dont know how to use CC or in gw2 stunbreaks, you will have no fun or success in PVP/WVW.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MedievalThings.5417 said:

The problems I have with a lot of skills is that, in my opinion, they should be offense or defense but not both.  And, if it does both, it definitely shouldn't nearly one shot people.  Ranger sword 3 for example: serpent's strike, is a leap, has evade, hits hard (think the lowest I've hit anyone this past month with it was for 10k, as high as 13k).  Thief (underwater) spear 2 (not that a lot of people fight there): flanking dive, is an evade, low initiative, hits like a truck (usually 8k every time).  You can actually win almost every single underwater fight just spamming this, I do all the time.  Imagine blocking an attack and your attacker takes 12k damage just because you used a block?  That's basically what these skills do, avoid damage while dealing absurd damage.  I know, kind of off topic.  I do think that some of the CC skills need to be toned down some, ele focus skill gale for example, 4 sec knockdown.  But not sure if it's better to lower that to 1-2 secs or add diminishing returns on successive CC.  Not sure I contributed much to the discussion this time.

I do agree. It was the reason they went with the damage nerf on cc in the 2020 apocalypse patch in the first place, cc should be something that sets up a burst, not be the burst, or be the counter interrupt to certain things like using healing. I don't think some mechanics should be attached to damage, they are to be used for more specific reasons and not for the damage component. Mechanics like cc's, stealth, practically any mobility skill, dodge, block, are things that should only have small amount of damage if at all, as you're using these skills mainly for those purposes, use the main damage skills for the high damage burst.

I figured lower time would be easier to implement than diminishing returns, I don't think they will ever have that in this game because of stability.

Edited by XenesisII.1540
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I voted yes to both, however I would like to see something different in order to fix the mass stuns of large scale but not break small scale. Perhaps a new wvw mastery for this purpose?

Level 1-3% damage reduction while stunned.

Level 2-6% damage reduction while stunned. Incoming stuns while already stunned are 50% effective.

Level 3-9% damage reduction while stunned. Breaking stun on yourself grants 1 second of immunity to incoming stuns.

Level 4-12%damage reduction while stunned. Breaking stun on yourself Grant's 3 seconds of immunity.

Level 5-15% damage reduction while stunned. Breaking stun on others Grant's them 1 second of immunity.

Level 6- the 15% damage reduction while stunned now applies during immunity you grant.(1second for allied breaks and 3 for yourself).

Something like this should reduce the effectiveness of mass stuns in large scale without breaking small scale, and being tied to a wvw mastery obviously keeps it in this mode.

Edited by Dinas Dragonbane.2978
Guess I should have voted unique answer, kitten...
  • Like 1

Dont see any need. In a group scenario if youre getting cced for more than 1 sec with all the aoe stability and stunbreaks, there is something very wrong with your group.

And in small scale I think its quite balanced. You first line of defense is anyway preventing a cc skill to land at all. And already there everyone has plenty of tools. Yeah its a spammy system but thats the case for gw2 combat in general.

Cant compare to wow at all. There you have no CD spamable cc like polymorph with base duration of 10 sec. Very limited self breaks available only to handful of classes (outside of trinket) with substantial CD. Some CC that cant be broken/dispelled at all (again outside of trinket) or only by mass dispel (2 min CD). And breaks are not universal. So you need the correct ally class with specific dispel type to remove specific effect type.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Dinas Dragonbane.2978 said:

Something like this should reduce the effectiveness of mass stuns in large scale without breaking small scale, and being tied to a wvw mastery obviously keeps it in this mode.

There is food that reduces dmg taken while in CC. Not in soft cc tho. But there are boons for that!