VIP system with only cosmetic items

GhostStar.8706

Hi everyone,

First, sorry about my English. This isn't my native language. The Google Tradutor will help me here.I keep thinking about how servers will keep up over the years after they've stopped launching expansions like HoT and PoF. A VIP system paid monthly where you could have access to all the cosmetic items (mounts, clothes, gliders ...) and could change the appearance whenever you want would be something very nice.

What do you think? Leave a Reply!

@"Oglaf.1074" said:Yeah no. Absolutely not. The only possible subscription-like feature I would be OK with would be paying signing up to pay for a set amount of discounted Gems each month or something.

discounted gems each month would be tempting for many.I suspect this would come with a ramp up so you get a few extra each month, the longer you've been "subscribed".

I wonder what the metrics of that kind of sales model would look like..

The only way I could see Anet stopping all work on this game but keeping the servers up is if they decided to make GW3.

In that case they'd probably do what they're currently doing with GW1 and use funds from the new game to keep the servers up. Apparently once you're not updating the game (and therefore nothing changes) server costs are minimal anyway.

@GhostStar.8706 said:Hi everyone,

First, sorry about my English. This isn't my native language. The Google Tradutor will help me here.I keep thinking about how servers will keep up over the years after they've stopped launching expansions like HoT and PoF. A VIP system paid monthly where you could have access to all the cosmetic items (mounts, clothes, gliders ...) and could change the appearance whenever you want would be something very nice.

What do you think? Leave a Reply!

Hmm.NO.

GhostStar, your suggestion has merit but there are two reasons it will not work as you described:

1. Players who have spent time making, or earning, special equipment like Legendaries will not like seeing a player using real money to rent the same skins.
  2. Arenanet already sells fashion for gems so introducing a new approach may complicate or conflict with their current method.

GW2 will eventually decrease revenue, which will force a staff reduction or close the game. Pay-for-fashion may be the developers' end-game but there is still some time before transitioning closer to a pay-to-play model.

Here are some revenue examples to consider:

1. Mounts and gliding convenience items
  2. Mount skins as expensive fashion upgrades
  3. Exclusive convenience areas like the Airship Pass

@Lambros Augustus.6594 said:thing is prob their metrics show otherwise or we would have a sub in place. i would have never tried the game with a sub.

Subscriptions would definitely drive many players away but real money transactions are needed just as badly. Calling a 2k mount skin a micro-transaction is a result.

The the gem store and exchange means players can supplement or substitute real money with a lot of game time, which is good because it keeps player population up. (Falling map population is bad for keeping players playing.) So, use real money and/or a lot of time playing to get your fashion fix.

Archived