Is it weird for female players to play male characters?

Chorne.8195

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a lot of males(including me) that play female characters. I don't care if the character is male or female, I simply care about armor/costume and legendary weapon appearance. I would choose a male norn, but their shape is unrealistic and cartoonish. Plus legendary weapon auras disappear in their bulky body. Thus I chose female norn as my main character.(the character that I use for PvE and stuff)

I actually like the armor/outfit looks on males, because they try so hard to make armors look sexy on females that they lose their sense. It's not just GW2, most MMORPGs are like that. You go into war with a bikini/half naked while males wear heavily covered/strengthened armor. I would want to have a male character for that, but I wanted a bigger character and norn males aren't my choice because of the reasons I stated above. Hopefully I have some cool outfits that fit my taste.

Other than these I prefer asuras for PvP/WvW, as they draw less attention. And their animations are funny.

Playing as a male toon acts as a sorta safety net. It often protects a player from the unwanted, lecherous advances, of the weird game stalker. Another trick I found that really helps, is never speak in voice chat ever. As someone who's been stalked through 4 different MMO's, I cannot stress this enough.

I think that as we get older, we stop seeing ourselves in the protagonists that we play in games. It is a function of self identity, as we mature we are more comfortable with ourselves and our beliefs. In our youth, we lack that "sense of self", so we attempt to fill that void by imprinting ourselves on the protagonist. It is a form of self-centered reality, we cannot relate to others' perspectives, hence the self-projection. When we are younger we just don't have enough life experience to role-play as someone else, or make decisions based on what someone else may think/feel.

Now, as we mature, we get more experience with seeing the perspective of others, and gain a greater "sense of self". This allows us to step outside of ourselves, in other words to "walk in someone else's shoes." 

Dirty Weasel Media

@"Katherine Ismael.5249" said:I think that as we get older, we stop seeing ourselves in the protagonists that we play in games. It is a function of self identity, as we mature we are more comfortable with ourselves and our beliefs. In our youth, we lack that "sense of self", so we attempt to fill that void by imprinting ourselves on the protagonist. It is a form of self-centered reality, we cannot relate to others' perspectives, hence the self-projection. When we are younger we just don't have enough life experience to role-play as someone else, or make decisions based on what someone else may think/feel.

Now, as we mature, we get more experience with seeing the perspective of others, and gain a greater "sense of self". This allows us to step outside of ourselves, in other words to "walk in someone else's shoes." 

Dirty Weasel Media

Was that a quote? If not, I'd be careful as it may offend those mature players who still mostly imprint theirselves on the protagonists, sex, skin color and facial features alike.

As for me, I've never bothered trying to imprint myself on the protagonist in a customization game but rather live out fantasies of being something/someone else. Not that I don't like myself irl, but if I had the choice to be a sm3xy burly Charr or a cute shortie floppy-eared Asura instead, I'd have to sleep on it.

@Chorne.8195 said:When you see a female human elementalist in-game wearing a bra, you immediately know it's a guy. If you see a guy in in-game, you know it's a guy. I'm afraid that if I join a guild or something and appear as a male, all my other characters will become redundant and I'll be mistaken as a creepy dude who solely plays girls. Which is why I dress all my light armors in the Seer's coat and give all my heavy-armors giant helmets with face covers. I play mostly Sylvari so the skin showing will become less obvious.

Don't get sucked into this kind of immature nonsense... the only effect these kinds of stereotypes can really have in your life is to prevent you from experiencing things or people that may enhance your life. So don't let them. Life is full of these narrow viewpoints--learn to spot them and reject them. It's really easy: Anything that is presented to you as some kind of rule, about any particular class of people, is wrong. People are individuals and have different likes, goals, and skills. Assuming that someone is X because they did Y, or that if they aren't good at X then they also aren't good at Y, and all similar types of things, only does both you and them a disservice.

OP seems to imply guys playing as female characters is somehow weird and creepy, by virtue of being worried that her one male character and oodles of female characters might "give her away" as being one of "those guys". Welp, m'lady, I only play female characters in gw2 as each of my other characters in every rpg I have ever played is a dude. I'm 95% certain I'm only creepy when I wish to be.

It's 2018 sweetheart, nobody cares what the person behind the mesmer in silver underwear looks like.

I don't find it weird and there's nothing wrong about it. I'm a guy and play both sexes for various reasons. For example my 2 rangers are both human male, my guard however is a female norn and I made it that way because I like how the female heavy armors look (she doesn't go around in bikini either).

While it isn't as common as the other way, I did see a few female players playing male characters. It's a fantasy game after all :-)

I guess the real question is: does it matter who is behind the keyboard? If that elementalist in the skimpy armor with a DD bust size is a big hairy guy named Leonard, or if that 8 foot tall Norn bruiser is really a 4 foot nothing 18 year old name Kimmy... does it make any actual difference? This isn’t tinder, folks. Not everyone who plays a Charr is a cat IRL, so I have no expectation that anyone I meet in game is remotely like their character in any way, shape or form.

If you want to play something, play it. If you want to keep a particular aesthetic, do that too. All female characters? Sure why not. I do similarly. I have no imagination, so every character but 1 is a human male that looks roughly like me IRL. Every... single... one, and I have an 80 of every class. Total mirror images of each other, but that’s what I enjoy. My friends play Charr and Asura.

It’s all personal preference, and you can’t control what others will assume about you based on it, so don’t even factor that into the equation. Just play whatever looks best to you and have fun.

Archived