Were are ANET servers located??

Since their migration lag and loading issues have been a problem for a lot of people. Someone mentioned Virginia was their new location, but if you switch to server time it puts them in England, what the heck ANET. Could it be due to current patches that keep being released shrugs who knows, what I do know is it's not caused by Arcdps as I don't use it.

NA servers are hosted now by amazon and they are not in the state of Virginia!! but they are on the east coast of the us

also change out your old CATE5 internet cable and get CATE7 internet cable . it will increases your speeds and load times will be much more shorter if you not using add ons and chat apps that will also give you more lag :# :# :# :#

Short story: there's a lot of internet between our machines and ANet's. Without running diagnostics (e.g. Pingplotter), it's impossible to say why you are having trouble. It will almost certainly be for different reasons than when I have trouble.

@"aryvandar.8562" said:Since their migration lag and loading issues have been a problem for a lot of people. Someone mentioned Virginia was their new location, but if you switch to server time it puts them in England, what the heck ANET. Could it be due to current patches that keep being released shrugs who knows, what I do know is it's not caused by Arcdps as I don't use it.

Server time is generally UTC and it's used because its independent of location. It happens to be the same (most of the year) as London time. don't read much into that.

Secondly, the actual distance of ANet servers is not the most important factor in determining ping. All things being equal, it would have the biggest impact, but all things aren't equal when it comes to ping. Other factors include: your home wiring, interference (usually only if using WiFi), your ISP (some ISPs throttle some connections), ANet's ISP, ANet's servers (whether properly responsive etc), etc. But the biggest factor is the Bermuda Triangle between ANet's ISP and yours. There can be multiple hops from backbone provider to backbone provider, some of which might lose data.

One problem that we all had as ANet started migrating servers (and us) is that some of the systems were slow to get the message. That is, your computer might have been trying to connect to the old servers in Dallas, instead of the new ones hosted in the Cloud (via Amazon AWS).

The only way to track down the source of your connection issues is to run something like Pingplotter and then to share the data (ideally with ANet regardless of results). If your ISP is dropping signal, you want to start a conversation with them. If the data is lost between you and ANet, then you want to let both ANet and your ISP know.

(Someone suggested changing cable. This is a needless expense unless you discover that the signal is degrading at your end. This won't be true for most of us, although it will, of course be true for someone.)

tl;dr there's a lot of internet between you & ANet's servers. The distance is often less important to game abnormalities than the hops along that distance. Run Pingplotter (or its like) and use the results to figure out what to do)

Further Reading

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:NA servers are hosted now by amazon and they are not in the state of Virginia!! but they are on the east coast of the us

also change out your old CATE5 internet cable and get CATE7 internet cable . it will increases your speeds and load times will be much more shorter if you not using add ons and chat apps that will also give you more lag :# :# :# :#

Cat 5 handles up to 100Mb just fine, so unless you have an Internet connection faster than that (doubtful, unless you have fiber directly to your house) there is nothing to be gained by using Cat 7 cables.

@kurfu.5623 said:

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:NA servers are hosted now by amazon and they are not in the state of Virginia!! but they are on the east coast of the us

Cat 5 handles up to 100Mb just fine, so unless you have an Internet connection faster than that (doubtful, unless you have fiber directly to your house) there is nothing to be gained by using Cat 7 cables.

I have 300Mb service and Cat 7s.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:Short story: there's a lot of internet between our machines and ANet's. Without running diagnostics (e.g. Pingplotter), it's impossible to say why you are having trouble. It will almost certainly be for different reasons than when I have trouble.

@"aryvandar.8562" said:Since their migration lag and loading issues have been a problem for a lot of people. Someone mentioned Virginia was their new location, but if you switch to server time it puts them in England, what the heck ANET. Could it be due to current patches that keep being released
shrugs
who knows, what I do know is it's not caused by Arcdps as I don't use it.

Server time is generally UTC and it's used because its independent of location. It happens to be the same (most of the year) as London time. don't read much into that.

Secondly, the actual distance of ANet servers is not the most important factor in determining ping. All things being equal, it would have the biggest impact, but all things aren't equal when it comes to ping. Other factors include: your home wiring, interference (usually only if using WiFi), your ISP (some ISPs throttle some connections), ANet's ISP, ANet's servers (whether properly responsive etc), etc. But the biggest factor is the Bermuda Triangle between ANet's ISP and yours. There can be multiple hops from backbone provider to backbone provider, some of which might lose data.

One problem that we all had as ANet started migrating servers (and us) is that some of the systems were slow to get the message. That is, your computer might have been trying to connect to the old servers in Dallas, instead of the new ones hosted in the Cloud (via Amazon AWS).

The only way to track down the source of
your
connection issues is to run something like
Pingplotter
and then to share the data (ideally with ANet regardless of results). If your ISP is dropping signal, you want to start a conversation with them. If the data is lost between you and ANet, then you want to let both ANet and your ISP know.

(Someone suggested changing cable. This is a needless expense
unless
you discover that the signal is degrading at your end. This won't be true for most of us, although it will, of course be true for someone.)

tl;dr there's a lot of internet between you & ANet's servers. The distance is often less important to game abnormalities than the hops along that distance. Run Pingplotter (or its like) and use the results to figure out what to do)

Further Reading

My girlfriend also uses the same connection as I and is plugged into the router and has no issues with load speed may get some lag like we all do. Exact same guts in her computer as mine is.

@kurfu.5623 said:

@"WARIORSCHARGEING.2637" said:NA servers are hosted now by amazon and they are not in the state of Virginia!! but they are on the east coast of the us

not attacking you at all but just telling you the real world factsyou should double check your information before posting and being proved wrong fully on a forum !!

Cat7 can also support 10 Gbps, but laboratory testing has successfully shown its ability to transmit up to 40 Gb at 50 meters and even 100 Gb at 15 meters. The cabling can support frequencies of up to 600 Mhz. Cat7 offers extensive shielding to reduce signal attenuation and is relatively stiff in comparison to previous generations of cabling. The shielding needs to be grounded and Cat7 also requires special GigaGate45 (GG45) connectors.

https://planetechusa.com/blog/ethernet-different-ethernet-categories-cat3-vs-cat5e-vs-cat6-vs-cat6a-vs-cat7-vs-cat8/

@Ahnog.8795 said:

sad part is people like that never understand these things at all . that is why they are stuck in the stone ages :p btw 300mb and cat7 to boot very nice :3 B) B)

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

you should double check your information before posting and being proved wrong fully on a forum !!

Cat7 can also support 10 Gbps, but laboratory testing has successfully shown its ability to transmit up to 40 Gb at 50 meters and even 100 Gb at 15 meters. The cabling can support frequencies of up to 600 Mhz. Cat7 offers extensive shielding to reduce signal attenuation and is relatively stiff in comparison to previous generations of cabling. The shielding needs to be grounded and Cat7 also requires special GigaGate45 (GG45) connectors.

That only helps if the anet servers happen to be plugged into your home router. :) Regardless of the theoretical speed of the cable, for our purposes it's the speed of your internet connection that matters. If your connection is 100Mbps* (or even 1Gbps) that cat7 cable is going to be awfully empty of anet data.

*Internet connections are listed by bandwidth, not speed.

@DeadTreeJig.6714 said:

you should double check your information before posting and being proved wrong fully on a forum !!

That only helps if the anet servers happen to be plugged into your home router. :) Regardless of the theoretical speed of the cable, for our purposes it's the speed of your internet connection that matters. If your connection is 100Mbps* (or even 1Gbps) that cat7 cable is going to be awfully empty of anet data.

*Internet connections are listed by bandwidth, not speed.

i see you missed the fact about catE7 supporting frequencies of up to 600 Mhz. as well as extensive shielding to reduce signal attenuationwhy is it you wish to for get about these real world facts . but yet you can remember bad very bad home routers btw not attacking you i am just saying the real world facts as they are

i keep forgetting and trying to do so about them foolish home routers !!! i never ever use and you go and try to reminds me ugh sigh !!! :o :o :# :#

and seriously it is far more cheaper and safer to just get a 50 foot catE7 cable for $15.00 usd and not worry ever again about bad very bad home routers !!

@WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

sad part is people like that never understand these things at all . that is why they are stuck in the stone ages :p btw 300mb and cat7 to boot very nice :3 B) B)

Wait , are u sure this isnt one of those HDMI things... you know how magically a 1080p digital signal is better because u spent 60 dollars on a monster cable from best buy.

I.E. if your not getting packet loss I don't see how you would get less ping/latency. Perhaps if you have a monster bandwidth connection, but us sub 100/mbs I would think would be no improvement.

@Cobrakon.3108 said:

Wait , are u sure this isnt one of those HDMI things... you know how magically a 1080p digital signal is better because u spent 60 dollars on a monster cable from best buy.

I.E. if your not getting packet loss I don't see how you would get less ping/latency. Perhaps if you have a monster bandwidth connection, but us sub 100/mbs I would think would be no improvement.

sorry i can not help you with that problem good luck

Okay, I am not questioning that CAT7 is technically better than CAT5e, but if your internet connection is only (for example) 100Mb and the Ethernet cable only goes for lets say 5 feet from the modem to the computer, how is CAT7 practically any better than CAT5e (you are nowhere near the capability of the CAT7 cable and well within the capability of the CAT5e and over 5 feet there should be no real interference that needs special shielding). And since I am not any sort of engineer, please refrain from all the technical jargon use.

@Ubi.4136 said:

your
Pingplotter
and then to share the data (ideally with ANet regardless of results).

I have...the problem starts as soon as it hits the Amazon servers.

Great, then share the data with ANet. That's what they need to troubleshoot.Other people still have to run their own data collection: mileage varies; each person's circumstances differ.

@Elspereth.1280 said:Okay, I am not questioning that CAT7 is technically better than CAT5e, but if your internet connection is only (for example) 100Mb and the Ethernet cable only goes for lets say 5 feet from the modem to the computer, how is CAT7 practically any better than CAT5e (you are nowhere near the capability of the CAT7 cable and well within the capability of the CAT5e and over 5 feet there should be no real interference that needs special shielding). And since I am not any sort of engineer, please refrain from all the technical jargon use.

Basically this. There aren't that many people who can benefit in any way from going out of their way to swap cables, and the entire argument detracts from the OPs genuine query about what they can do to help with their high ping. Telling them to order a cable from Amazon that in the case of most people probably will have literally zero effect on their ping is unhelpful.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:

your
Pingplotter

Great, then share the data with ANet. That's what they need to troubleshoot.Other people still have to run their own data collection: mileage varies; each person's circumstances differ.

They should also be aware that the servers are not configured to respond to pings so the last node(the server itself) is always going to show 100% packet loss. Which brings me to my other point. Send them the data not your interpretation.

@"Nimrod.9240" said:Do we actually know if Anet or the datacenter where the servers are located applied the Meltdown and Specter patches?If not, will we have to expect performance issues in the near future and how bad will they be?(also it would be nice to know that our data is save)

• You can assume that all the latest patches will be applied to these data centers.
  • You cannot assume that data is safe. Just look at breeches at Yahoo, Equifax, and more. But there will be backups and backups. We'll be able to continue playing.
  • Whatever else is going on, these particular patches aren't likely to impact GW2 as it exists today. They might affect whether ANet is able to increase the number of players in WvW maps, the size|scope|scale|NPC-count|decoration-count of future PvE maps, and so on.
  • The chances are slim & none that ANet will let us know about any of the details, mostly because they are in the habit of releasing the barest minimum of information about their tech (for a variety of reasons).

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:

your
Pingplotter

They should also be aware that the servers are not configured to respond to pings so the last node(the server itself) is always going to show 100% packet loss. Which brings me to my other point. Send them the data not your interpretation.

Good points, both.

• Use pingplotter (or its competitors), not "ping"
  • Share actual data, not interpretations.
  • Don't rely on other people's data to address your concerns. There will be overlap, of course, but we can't assume that any two cases have the same root cause, without the data.

They recentst switched from a traditional data centre to a cloud service.This means that the location is less important and subject to change.I Have not seen any performance drop, but I know some people are. Location and distance have little to do with it. I play on Europe and NA server with no issues. I do use the most expensive isp available at my location as they guarantee good routing to all corners of the world. Before this I used a discounted ISP and had issues all the time.The provider is responsible for how you connect. When crossing an ocean. They have to buy capacity on an intercontinental data connection. But also over land they have to rent capacity on continental connections. This makes the performance of specific routes. Arenanet changing the data centre service might have triggered a performance drop, but it is still your provider that gives had performance in the specific new route.

• 1 year later...

CAT-5-E handles 1 Gbit/sCAT-6-A handles 10 Gbit/s 500mhz

Also bare in mind that unless you have CAT7 coming into your house you have nothing to gain.

Barely any equipment supports CAT7 so it's just waste of money.