black lion chests

Drex.1058

are they worth buying the keys for?i just started playing and i would think they are a rarer drop but in a week i have gotten 6 to drop so far. they seem more of a way to get you to spend more cash on the game, or spend gold and hope u can fine one in AH.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nnnnnnnoooooooo

Informative answer: Ever heard of RNG boxes or loot crates? Black Lion Chests are GW2's version. They're basically a lucky dip - you're guaranteed to get something but most of the time it will be something not that great and probably not worth the cost of a key. There are of course a few very good drops too (some of which are worth a few thousand gold) but the majority of the time you will not get them. You can right-click a chest and select 'preview' to see a list of all the possibly drops sorted by rarity - but it won't tell you the exact odds, for that you need to look online for drop rate data from players.

At the moment you're guaranteed to get the top two items on the list from every chest. The Mini Jackal Pup can be used (like all mini pets it just follows you around), sold, or combined with Unidentified Dyes to make different colours of Jackal Pups - but the full collection is quite expensive. The Black Lion Statuette is quite good, if you open a lot of chests, it's a guaranteed way to get some of the rarer drops from the chests. You'll get another 2-3 items from each chest but that's likely to be 2 common items or 2 common and 1 uncommon.

In general you'll be better off converting the gems you would have spent on keys into gold and buying the things you wanted (if they're tradable, which most of them are). It's only worth buying keys if you enjoy the gambling aspect - the excitement of using a key and waiting to see what you got. Or if you really, really want one of the account bound drops and you're prepared to spend a lot of money to get it.

Worth is subjective, but economically - definitely not. They are only worth it if you find genuine enjoyment from gambling.

Are you the person who can spend money on gambling, and be happy with the time spent when the money's gone, nothing left? If so, you'll likely enjoy BL Chests.If your enjoyment is wrapped up in the actual winning rather than the chance of winning, you should never, ever spend gems on keys!

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:Worth is subjective, but economically - definitely not. They are only worth it if you find genuine enjoyment from gambling.

Indeed: the mathematically-predicted market value of the contents is dwarfed by the cost of the keys, exactly as one would expect from lotto tickets.

The primary value of BL chests is entertainment: the frisson of excitement you feel just before you open the chest, in which anything is possible, especially the chance of getting a game-changing drop (a 400 gold node or a 3k gold contract, for example). And those do drop, for someone; they just won't be dropping for you.

I have a friend who loves the game and would pay a subscription if the option existed. Instead, they donate to the cause by dropping a 20-30 bucks on keys every couple of paychecks. They enjoy that moment right before opening a slew of chests, and have fun talking about it with us afterwards. (And they also know how pleased I am to live vicariously through their good drops.) And yet they are well aware that if they just wanted the stuff that drops, they could easily convert gems to gold and buy what they want.

tl;dr spend on chests if you really like the moment before opening; the moment after is almost always disappointing.

You can get some free keys, Drex, and decide from them if you think it's worth paying actual money for more.

You get a free key when you finish the Level 10 personal story chapter. (You can only do this once a week, but many people key-farm by creating a new character to do it each week.) I think you also get one from the level 30 story, but not sure.You sometimes get a free key when you finish completely exploring a map. Either that or a transmutation charge.You VERY rarely get a key dropped from a killed enemy or chest.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:You can get some free keys, Drex, and decide from them if you think it's worth paying actual money for more.

You get a free key when you finish the Level 10 personal story chapter. (You can only do this once a week, but many people key-farm by creating a new character to do it each week.) I think you also get one from the level 30 story, but not sure.You sometimes get a free key when you finish completely exploring a map. Either that or a transmutation charge.You VERY rarely get a key dropped from a killed enemy or chest.

its level 10, 40 and 60 + some hot and pof story chapters I dont have a clue witch of those tho.

@Oglaf.1074 said:They're the worst item in the Gemstore.

Keys that is, not the chests. Who would buy the chests?

I don't know who buys the chests but I know that some people do because I regularly sell ones I get as drops. The price has actually gone up since they re-worked them about a year ago, adding the guaranteed item and (probably more importantly) adding a limited-time account bound drop to each version.

Your assessment is correct - its just a way to encourage you to spend more. There's nothing in those chests that you need. I'd recommend only using the keys you gather through gameplay rewards and not buying any, unless you are just doing it for the fun and don't mind that you could more cheaply simply buy gems, convert to gold, and purchase the same items.

The value that you get as an individual will differ from others, but the consensus here regarding the lack of hard economic value is exactly the case. With that in mind, try getting some of the free ones and open some chests to see if you like it.

Here's a link to the Wiki page, which outlines the ways to get keys: BLC Key

Here's the link on the Wiki for the chests, so you can see what it's possible to get (changes occasionally, so watch for an announcement): BLC

The best advice that I can give is to be intentional. If you know that you have some truly disposable income that you can use and you value some keys and opened chests above other spending options, than go for it. Otherwise, stick to the free ones and enjoy whatever rewards arrive.

@Danikat.8537 said:

I don't know who buys the chests but I know that some people do because I regularly sell ones I get as drops. The price has actually gone up since they re-worked them about a year ago, adding the guaranteed item and (probably more importantly) adding a limited-time account bound drop to each version.

Raises hand. Sometimes I buy a chest on the TP when I get a key drop, because you can't sell keys.

@Witch of Doom.5739 said:

Raises hand. Sometimes I buy a chest on the TP when I get a key drop, because you can't sell keys.

I keep a minimum of 5 chests, or 1 per key if I have more keys than that (ever since they started adding account bound drops you can't get elsewhere I'll only use keys when there's something I want). But I always get far more chests than keys so I end up selling most of them.

Archived