I'm tired of unfair matchmaking in PvP

Draco.9480

Can we have an option to 5 premade in league seasons like in any other normal game. You can't really do teamwork when you always rely on random chance of getting either a bad team or mediocre team. And I really know some people will say "maybe it's just you playing bad if you lose all the time" It doesn't work like that. I saw bad players being carried and I lost to bad players while I destroyed 'em solo. Why most of the time I get teams that are worse than my enemy? Why the PvE aspect has the option to choose what players you want in your raid, fractals, dungeons and the option to pug but league season only up to 2 players pre made. all mmorpg and moba games have the option to have premade of 5 people. even in wow you do arena "you must choose a players to 2vs2, 3vs3, 5vs5". You can even premade a battleground of 10 people there. why arena net forces people to queue alone or with 1 player in league seasons, it doesn't make any sense. and the only way to get rating is in league seasons. while other games like wow have always rating and ya always have the option to choose with what players ya will play in arena while in guild wars 2 ya can't do that. A lot of players getting discourged playing ranked when they got all the rewards. Well I don't play for rewards. Wish anet would encourage pvp guild to premade with 5 people in season leagues as well like ya can premade a raid or fractal and not just pug and get bad players most of the time.

If it's the answer of arena net to have less time thinking about more balance matchmaking then you're lazy in your work as a programmer.If your excuse is to balance the power between teams so it won't be one sided then you're wrong, it's the opposite and ya don't give any freedom for players to choose to paly with their friends. most of the time when a team loses with random people, people flame each other. I don't really mind the flaming but it discourages other people to play and everyone uses their ego in pvp. People will be less toxic when they play with friends and not with strangers they don't want to play with. 5 premade will eliminate that toxicity in the pvp at least in 20-30% present. Because people will start on working on pvp guilds and work on finding good players or let friends gather. I only saw HC PvE guilds but not HC PvP guilds, why? pve players have the option to organize and make their own strategies while pvp you can't, you don't know the people with you and they'll just do something stupid like going to wrong points or try to kill AI or just feed.

TL:DR; make the option to premade up to 5 people in league to avoid blaming each other and make better matchmaking experience and not be mad that you lose cuz you have players with l2p issues.

I agree, the toxicity in PVP is horrendous. I'm not the best PVP player out there, far from it, but I do find it's a good shortcut for dailies sometimes. But recently the toxicity has arisen to a level I've never witnesses before, especially childish insults such as "weak player haha", "go back to kiddie PVE" and the like. Am I having fun? No. And for the matchmaking, it is horrible. Every time I try to get into PVP I'm always thrown against teams which are always way stronger than any I wind up with. I'll spare you again the petty insults. Almost feels like raids.

Problem is there is no tutorial or guide inside the game about sPvP.

Many people come up with the mentality: "Oh, an enemy! I have to kill! Oh two enemies I have to kill! Oh three enemies I have to kill!". Going into 1vs2 or 1vs3 instead of playing the main role of conquest mode which is capping and holding point and rotating between the points.

But bad players will keep doing those bad mistakes because too lazy to research and because nobody told them teaching it.

This problem can't be fixed with a balance patch ever, can be mitigated only if forced tutorials or guides appears ingame before actually being able to join a real match.

• 1 month later...

Solo que makes no sense and ranking feels worthless because you still get matched up with every other tier anyways. How's anyone supposed to care about any top player when teams are random. All in all I wouldn't consider this a pvp game to get serious about cause the core design of it is fairly weak compared to many other options already out there.

Way back when Anet made a decision to make nothing but Conquest style maps. They then made the decision to remove team ranked queues and instead support solo-q. These decisions together have made a terrible, terrible pvp experience for the majority of players.

• They need to have the 5v5 Conquest maps be for premade teams only (with awesome rewards)
  • Ranking should NEVER involve solo play, unless they can SOMEHOW figure out how to actually rank based on performance and not just W/L
  • Solo-q should be for quick and FUN matches, and should include 8v8 and 10v10 and 15v15 maps that have different win conditions (think battlegrounds in WoW)

pvp is about teamwork and its hard to achieve that with randoms. You don't see the nba just having random drafts every game because it would be no fun. The teams don't grow, nobody gets to learn how to work with one another, and you get weird stacking of classes that just make matches no fun. Just got out of a match with a toxic scourge, claiming he was high plat and that his scourge build wasn't op. He said the classes that were op were spellbreakers and bunkers, his direct counters. He basically went on a rant the whole time telling me not to play rev ever again in pvp. This irked me like no other so i layed the smack down on his teammates, but we still lost. PVP balance needs to be taken a little more seriously and the competitive atmosphere needs improvement. Also, different game modes that don't just promote bunkers and nukers. Like even a team deathmatch might be a little better or at least add variety.

In the season that just closed I played about 900 games. In 95% of them were in the span of plat 1 to upper plat 2. The amount of unique(different) players I faced could probably total 50. Since the mmr is horrible, I even got matched while in low plat2 with Sizer, who by the time was N1 EU. So you might say I could have encountered just about all active players in plat, even legendary. In this line of thoughts can you imagine how pathetic a ladder for 5v5s would look like? I mean it will be like 2-3 really good teams, 2 decent and the rest will get stomped, because yeah when you queue up, you gotta get matched quick. Anet proves time and again, they would rather put a facade over the actual state of spvp (low player base) and simulate it with 2-4 min. queues, aka quantity over quality.You want to 5 men pvp? Play tournaments or find pvp guilds to scrim.

Unless Anet decides out of nowhere after 5 year to focus on a huge quality package of PvP, which could lure back pvp players, you won't get anything better than the proposed. Back in the day of gw1 there were as far as I can remember, often real tournaments with cash prizes. This kept the hardcore pvpers in the game and in GW2 all the top tier and former top tier players said on their streams that there's no incentive to play pvp.I personally think Anet could reinvest in pvp, but it would take large amount of the game funds, which go straight to pve (living story, expansions etc) and they get in return x amounts the invested money. Would you throw bags of money in a wishing well (the pvp black hole), hoping something comes back in return? The MMORPG genre is fading and whoever wants to play pvp is on the current market leaders aka mobas and shooters.

@Diesel Stelar.3709 said:In the season that just closed I played about 900 games. In 95% of them were in the span of plat 1 to upper plat 2. The amount of unique(different) players I faced could probably total 50. Since the mmr is horrible, I even got matched while in low plat2 with Sizer, who by the time was N1 EU. So you might say I could have encountered just about all active players in plat, even legendary. In this line of thoughts can you imagine how pathetic a ladder for 5v5s would look like? I mean it will be like 2-3 really good teams, 2 decent and the rest will get stomped, because yeah when you queue up, you gotta get matched quick. Anet proves time and again, they would rather put a facade over the actual state of spvp (low player base) and simulate it with 2-4 min. queues, aka quantity over quality.You want to 5 men pvp? Play tournaments or find pvp guilds to scrim.

Unless Anet decides out of nowhere after 5 year to focus on a huge quality package of PvP, which could lure back pvp players, you won't get anything better than the proposed. Back in the day of gw1 there were as far as I can remember, often real tournaments with cash prizes. This kept the hardcore pvpers in the game and in GW2 all the top tier and former top tier players said on their streams that there's no incentive to play pvp.I personally think Anet could reinvest in pvp, but it would take large amount of the game funds, which go straight to pve (living story, expansions etc) and they get in return x amounts the invested money. Would you throw bags of money in a wishing well (the pvp black hole), hoping something comes back in return? The MMORPG genre is fading and whoever wants to play pvp is on the current market leaders aka mobas and shooters.

Taking 5q back with good rewards would probably get a ton of people doing pvp guild/groups to play it. It's normal that at the moment the numbers are minimal.

To do an experiment, the 5q could be brought back off season.Seriously, has unranked any sense now? You can play with people with 0 knowledge of how pvp works, random pve builds... What the hell is it?

@Matiu.5703 said:

@Diesel Stelar.3709 said:In the season that just closed I played about 900 games. In 95% of them were in the span of plat 1 to upper plat 2. The amount of unique(different) players I faced could probably total 50. Since the mmr is horrible, I even got matched while in low plat2 with Sizer, who by the time was N1 EU. So you might say I could have encountered just about all active players in plat, even legendary. In this line of thoughts can you imagine how pathetic a ladder for 5v5s would look like? I mean it will be like 2-3 really good teams, 2 decent and the rest will get stomped, because yeah when you queue up, you gotta get matched quick. Anet proves time and again, they would rather put a facade over the actual state of spvp (low player base) and simulate it with 2-4 min. queues, aka quantity over quality.You want to 5 men pvp? Play tournaments or find pvp guilds to scrim.

Taking 5q back with good rewards would probably get a ton of people doing pvp guild/groups to play it. It's normal that at the moment the numbers are minimal.

To do an experiment, the 5q could be brought back off season.Seriously, has unranked any sense now? You can play with people with 0 knowledge of how pvp works, random pve builds... What the hell is it?

That's probably why people's rating should be displayed in unranked. So, you can have a good analysis upon your score. If i lost 500-50, it would be cool to know if my team was supposed to lose or not, it might help better understanding it.

@Neil.3825 said:

Solo-q should be for quick and FUN matches

As conquest is a fun mode, so it seems logical for me.

Not really, conquest was made for esports. It makes no sense other wise. Since you can't really coordinate with randoms. Conquest should be for ATs. Ranked should have a totally different game mode.

@Abazigal.3679 said:That's probably why people's rating should be displayed in unranked. So, you can have a good analysis upon your score. If i lost 500-50, it would be cool to know if my team was supposed to lose or not, it might help better understanding it.

Unranked is garbage in terms of balance. As much as you may hate ranked, at least the matchmaking there works to some extent. In unranked you have people with 2-3 ranks gap placed in same matches all the time. People with good manual skill and experience are placed against newcomers and bronzies. More often than not unranked games ends with a stomp. Even more so when a bunch of pubs get thrown as a feed for a full premade. In fact, unranked is a good example of why some ranked limitations are justified.

I hate unfair matches but i think i know why it happens. Looks like PvP mode just suffers from low population. They put lets say 1 platinum+2 silver vs 3 golds to balance teams. Of course 3 golds roflstomp 2 silvers so 1 platinum can only facepalm.

If they add 5 x premades, you will wait for 15 minutes to play another match. So we must accept it. It is nobody's fault.

@ezd.6359 said:I hate unfair matches but i think i know why it happens. Looks like PvP mode just suffers from low population. They put lets say 1 platinum+2 silver vs 3 golds to balance teams. Of course 3 golds roflstomp 2 silvers so 1 platinum can only facepalm.

If they add 5 x premades, you will wait for 15 minutes to play another match. So we must accept it. It is nobody's fault.

Many people also do not take into consideration build wars and OP stuff. If you make plat 1 team with double thief ranger and engis against silver 3 running double scourge firebrand thief spellbreaker, it's very likely the second team isn't going to get facerolled, and eventually can win. Whereas if we switched setups, the plat 1 team would probably win 500-50 or so.

There are promising new PvP MMOs that I hope will succeed (Crowfall and Camelot Unchained). Also, A lot of new ambitious MMOs are departing from the theme park approach (Chronicles of Elyria, Pantheon: Rise Of The Fallen, Ashes of Creation, etc.). Its great they are trying out different approaches, and if they deliver, MMOs might become a thing again.

@"Draco.9480" said:Can we have an option to 5 premade in league seasons like in any other normal game. You can't really do teamwork when you always rely on random chance of getting either a bad team or mediocre team. And I really know some people will say "maybe it's just you playing bad if you lose all the time" It doesn't work like that. I saw bad players being carried and I lost to bad players while I destroyed 'em solo. Why most of the time I get teams that are worse than my enemy? Why the PvE aspect has the option to choose what players you want in your raid, fractals, dungeons and the option to pug but league season only up to 2 players pre made. all mmorpg and moba games have the option to have premade of 5 people. even in wow you do arena "you must choose a players to 2vs2, 3vs3, 5vs5". You can even premade a battleground of 10 people there. why arena net forces people to queue alone or with 1 player in league seasons, it doesn't make any sense. and the only way to get rating is in league seasons. while other games like wow have always rating and ya always have the option to choose with what players ya will play in arena while in guild wars 2 ya can't do that. A lot of players getting discourged playing ranked when they got all the rewards. Well I don't play for rewards. Wish anet would encourage pvp guild to premade with 5 people in season leagues as well like ya can premade a raid or fractal and not just pug and get bad players most of the time.

If it's the answer of arena net to have less time thinking about more balance matchmaking then you're lazy in your work as a programmer.If your excuse is to balance the power between teams so it won't be one sided then you're wrong, it's the opposite and ya don't give any freedom for players to choose to paly with their friends. most of the time when a team loses with random people, people flame each other. I don't really mind the flaming but it discourages other people to play and everyone uses their ego in pvp. People will be less toxic when they play with friends and not with strangers they don't want to play with. 5 premade will eliminate that toxicity in the pvp at least in 20-30% present. Because people will start on working on pvp guilds and work on finding good players or let friends gather. I only saw HC PvE guilds but not HC PvP guilds, why? pve players have the option to organize and make their own strategies while pvp you can't, you don't know the people with you and they'll just do something stupid like going to wrong points or try to kill AI or just feed.

TL:DR; make the option to premade up to 5 people in league to avoid blaming each other and make better matchmaking experience and not be mad that you lose cuz you have players with l2p issues.

Another option is personal performance-based matchmaking instead of win/lose based one.

@"Draco.9480" said:Can we have an option to 5 premade in league seasons like in any other normal game. You can't really do teamwork when you always rely on random chance of getting either a bad team or mediocre team. And I really know some people will say "maybe it's just you playing bad if you lose all the time" It doesn't work like that. I saw bad players being carried and I lost to bad players while I destroyed 'em solo. Why most of the time I get teams that are worse than my enemy? Why the PvE aspect has the option to choose what players you want in your raid, fractals, dungeons and the option to pug but league season only up to 2 players pre made. all mmorpg and moba games have the option to have premade of 5 people. even in wow you do arena "you must choose a players to 2vs2, 3vs3, 5vs5". You can even premade a battleground of 10 people there. why arena net forces people to queue alone or with 1 player in league seasons, it doesn't make any sense. and the only way to get rating is in league seasons. while other games like wow have always rating and ya always have the option to choose with what players ya will play in arena while in guild wars 2 ya can't do that. A lot of players getting discourged playing ranked when they got all the rewards. Well I don't play for rewards. Wish anet would encourage pvp guild to premade with 5 people in season leagues as well like ya can premade a raid or fractal and not just pug and get bad players most of the time.

Another solution is personal performance-based matchmaking instead of win/lose-based one.

When all 4 of your teammate pushes home in the beginning and you're the only reaper wondering whether you should push mid...I got more joy than anger at the scene hehe.

Oh and yes I'm playing reaper in unranked, got too bored of meta builds. Still manage to win 1v1 and occasional 1v2 in that match but half the game the rest of the team is at home. At least opponent team is smart enough to push far and keep them there with just 2 players + 1 support. Probably don't need to explain why we lose.

@Aza.2105 said:

Solo-q should be for quick and FUN matches

As conquest is a fun mode, so it seems logical for me.

Not really, conquest was made for esports. It makes no sense other wise. Since you can't really coordinate with randoms. Conquest should be for ATs. Ranked should have a totally different game mode.

Well said. Let conquest and dancing in circles be a AT thing since you can party with 5 and use voice chat vs other teams. In reality Rabked and regualr map play should be something simple like TDM. where voice chat to win isn't required.

Plus professions that have huge advantage like teleportation on Z coordinate or teleportation anyway. Conquest is a fun mode like a puzzle jump battle mode or a mount battle mode.Each rule you add to PvP (other than fight) bring you closer to a fun mode.

Archived