What land weapons would you want underwater?

Fenom.9457

From underwater into land, I've always loved Spear and Tridents no matter game or story. I wish they still have a chance to make it to become a land-weapon mechanism.They could really just keep the original aquatic weapons, Spear, Tridents and Speargun, but create the ex-original 20th cancelled weapon, the Polearm, and merge all Spear and Trident skins into together to become a land weapon. Everyone will be happy! :smile:

From land into underwater, I'd like to see any weapons. Or new weapons is even better!

Excelsior.I don't understand the exact purpose of this thread.If "land weapons" as you call them are fine to be used underwater as well, why would arenaNet restrict it to "land" in the first place? They did it for a reason, because firing a rifle or pistol underwater won't work (unlike firing into it) because wet cartridges won't work. Small stab-weapons like dagger seem a bit to weak because of the higher [i can't find the right word for "Widerstand" when it comes to physics, so I call it RESISTANCE now] resistance in the water. Have you seen people boxing underwater? How fast are those punches?

That's like saying "Hey, we don't need torpedos on our submarines, let's just add two machine guns and we are set". It's not that easy.Underwater combat really kills variety, except if you use mounts for that, like fighting on/with a shark (strong melee) or stingray (weak melee and poison) against, I just pick something from the top of my head, an octopus that has poison clouds and blinds and such but less actual offensive skills. But "real" weaponry, read as tools, for underwater? It's very rudimentary there due to the different and unwelcoming atmosphere.

I would want all of them. But since that is not going to happen... IMO most ranged weapons should work underwater somehow. And engie kits.

To be thorough, I would:

• Merge Rifle and Harpoon Gun into the same category (Yes, Harpoon Gun Skins would become Rifle Skins on land and viceversa),
  • Merge Tridents and Staffs in the same category (Same treatment with the skins. Yes, even Legendaries).
  • Spears are a bit harder to solve... I think I would merge them with Shortbow, including a new animation attack for "Underwater Shortbow" and "Land Spear", but otherwise keeping the current skills.
  • This would have the benefit of reducing a bit the discrepancies between land and water weapon types, making very underused skins more relevant, and avoiding the addition of too much new skills.
  • Then I would balance the UW skills A LOT.
  • Then I would select a couple more normal weapons and add UW skill sets for them. (Since there are 9 classes and 3 UW skill sets, another 3 would be a good number for variety)
  • Then I would add an extra useable UW weapon for everyone, (2 extra for the 3 class that currently only have 1).

The already existing underwater weapons are okay. As far as range is concerned, trident and harpoon gun cover it pretty well, and we don't really need any more melee weapons. Especially not close melee ones. Underwater combat is just way more dynamic, with the z-axis added to it, for those to work well.What might be done however is to add to all classes all the underwater weapons they are currently lacking, so all classes have access to all three of them. Making many currently unusable skills work undewater would be of higher priority however. There's too many of those currently, and whenever new ones are added, Anet seems to keep forgetting that underwater is a thing more and more, which only accerbates that problem.The best example is revenant, which has an underwater weapon and some skills at all only because players reminded Anet that somehow those were completely forgotten. It's likely it is also the only class with a single underwater weapon and weapon swap - Anet likely just didn't want to bother to do a second one. Which is also likely why the revenant spear has both a range and melee autoattack skills, making it the only weapon with two autoattacks.And let's not go into how most of revenant legend selections were never made underwater-ready. Including both of the elite spec ones.

Edit: additional point i forgot to bring up. What is needed is to have an option for all the basic builds to have a complementary underwater weapon - so, there definitely should be both condi and power options, and in some cases maybe support ones as well. That might push the number of required different weapons over the current limit.

@"Ardid.7203" said:I would want all of them. But since that is not going to happen... IMO most ranged weapons should work underwater somehow. And engie kits.

To be thorough, I would:

• Merge Rifle and Harpoon Gun into the same category (Yes, Harpoon Gun Skins would become Rifle Skins on land and viceversa),
  • Merge Tridents and Staffs in the same category (Same treatment with the skins. Yes, even Legendaries).
  • Spears are a bit harder to solve... I think I would merge them with Shortbow, including a new animation attack for "Underwater Shortbow" and "Land Spear", but otherwise keeping the current skills.
  • This would have the benefit of reducing a bit the discrepancies between land and water weapon types, making very underused skins more relevant, and avoiding the addition of too much new skills.
  • Then I would balance the UW skills A LOT.
  • Then I would select a couple more normal weapons and add UW skill sets for them. (Since there are 9 classes and 3 UW skill sets, another 3 would be a good number for variety)
  • Then I would add an extra useable UW weapon for everyone, (2 extra for the 3 class that currently only have 1).

Finally I see someone here who agrees openly with me, that harpoon gun and trident are obsolete and should get merged with rifle and staff.These twio weapon types are the utter mosrt useless weapon types of the whole game and they share anyways already like 90% of all their skins with rifles/staffs.. there are only a few harpoon and trident skinsn, which current aren't also rifle/staff skinns... Look only for example at the dungeon skin sets, there on all of them are the rifles exactly the same as the harpoon guns and all the staves are exactly looking the same liek the tridents... doesn#t really need more to say really, to brign one to count 1+1 together, to realize, how obsolete these weapon types are, or?? And that it is the best interest for the sake of this game to get rid of these obsolete weapon types to create free space for better and more sense making new weapon types that are truly unique and an enrichment to the game instead, things like for example WHIPS & CHAKRAMS, some exotic weapon types, which u would usuallynever expect in a MMORPG like GW2 to be useable by any class.Greataxes can be practically implemented as Hammer-Reskins, they gameplay isn't now so really unique to warrant them becoming implemented as new weapon type..Even as Greatsword Reskins woud lthey work mechanically most likely

Turnign Spears finally into a hybrid weapon useable on land as like in water is the next step.Short/Longbow for underwater combat shoudl get replaced with bolt shooting CROSSBOWS as skins to work this way underwater as well, implementign this way Crossbows as Short/Longbow Skins, as an own weapon type they have no place in this game, but as skins, absilutely yes and that way they fil lkind of a bit also the bolt shooter gap that would be left behind after mergign harpoon gun with Rifle..Thieves underwater using their Shortbows as Crossbows makes only sense, while using a as Harpoon Gun modernized Rifle skin when playing a Thief as Deadeye (as long Anet keeps this crap specialization, instead of making Rifle a baselined Thief Weapon and replace Deadeye with something much better, like a Longbow Rogue as a longrange weapon alternative to the rifle then)

Archived