Random instabilities

@OriOri.8724 said:

@Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:Yeah by themselves those combos seem fine with me, with variation based on which fractal of course, which wasn't specified. Especially toxic trail + afflicted since toxic trails don't apply afflicted conditions.

Shouldn't these more difficult instability combinations also be rewarding more for the increased effort/difficulty? Right now you get the same stuff for an easy roll of instabilities as you do the current combinations that everyone is complaining about.

Quantifying that in a meaningful way just doesn't seem feasible. A hard combination in one fractal can be an easy one in another.

Why not add instability specific rewards? :) runs with toxic trail would drop toxic bauble, last laugh -- explosive bauble and so forth. And then exchange N baubles at BUY golem for something shiny? (A mini krait for toxic, mini layline for flux bauble etc)Then instability would be a somewhat net positive instead of just degrading fractal runs :)

I think you misunderstand the point of instabilities honestly. They aren't there to "degrade" fractals, but to change them, so that it isn't the same thing every single time. It prevents tedium from taking over daily fractals (though everyone is, of course, allowed to have their own opinions of how well they do this. Personally I think that the new system is pretty great at achieving this).

Honestly? I'm pretty sure that a big slice of players would rather
not
have additional random (however small) difficulty increase in the name of "not being the same thing" and having to learn how to clear same fractal but with bonus punishing mechanics of the day/week.

Otherwise we'd have "random mote" and those people who are bored would use it while leaving other pug groups alone ;) (or "vanilla mote" to turn current random combination off) having everyone else suffer in the name of "this is too boring and not challenging enough
for me
" is rather unfair. So let's not pretend that majority magically decided to make life more difficult or that instabilities are anything other than an annoyance and a bump up in difficulty.

And as we're not getting rid of them, questions are about howto make it less bad/ unfair/ extra punishing in particular cases. And adding an extra little something would sweeten otherwise bitter for pugs pill, stuffed down their throats :)

Honestly? Anet decided they were going to keep instabilities, and unless you can provide facts that state that the vast majority of the playerbase don't enjoy them, its not likely to be removed anytime soon. Making them random was by request of players for a while now, since always having the same ones was stale. Ben is working on making the worst of the combinations less unfair and less punishing, but its not as if this was something that wasn't asked for by the community

Our Favoritest Developer stated on reddit that if there was a mote that allowed to pick whatever add-on instabilities there were "people would pick the easiest ones". Not the "most fun ones", mind you, but those that are the least pain in the ass. Now in the unlikely scenario people looooved this added stuff, there'd be a small line to the "select your bonus instability" mote.

I have enough pain in the rear trying to pug level 75 in off hours. No, I don't need "fun" additional mechanics. Instabilities don't add anything but pain in the rear. I don't care that some people find fractals "stale". We get new ones from time to time -- remove all instabilities from "new and improved" (read: more difficult to do with pugs) fractals. Those are fresh, they can't possibly be stale.

Or how is it not stale to move like a snail because of hamstrung + afflicted and not having a healing druid in a party (good luck finding one in off-hours).

I don't think "community" wanted for everyone's life to be harder. Some individuals -- yes. You know, those who complain all the time that there's not enough challenge, that they're bored of doing daily Dhuum challenge mode and do CM fractals nekkid type of thing. I'm bored so everyone else should suffer type of thing. PUG groups suffer, but they're also not necessarily represented that much on forums and on reddit. And those seeking challenge are not going to be challenged for too long anyway.

That's why I'd prefer regular vanilla T1-T4 fractals for normal PUGs, CM + Instability modes (with bonus rewards) for those who want it. If fractals are "that stale" and everyone's clamoring for instability, you'd see parties for T4 Full Instab CM mode all over and everyone would be happy :)

And I'd find normal parties able to complete T4 fractals at 2 AM. Hopefully.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Benjamin Arnold.3457 Yo ben sorry for bothering but i was wondering if you guys have any diff version of SA in mind or playing with something internally.

I was thinking that maybe a cool way to change it would be to make it like the player aoes on matt from w2. You know player center aoes that after a while explode deal some dmg to you and more to allies if they are in the aoe.

Basically every now and then these aoes spawn and after x sec (indication on the aoes for how much time that would be) they explode.

That way ppl just have to split for x sec w8 for the aoe to go off and regroup which i find more fun and inderactive.

@"Bugabuga.9721" said:

That's why I'd prefer regular vanilla T1-T4 fractals for normal PUGs, CM + Instability modes (with bonus rewards) for those who want it. If fractals are "that stale" and everyone's clamoring for instability, you'd see parties for T4 Full Instab CM mode all over and everyone would be happy :)

And I'd find normal parties able to complete T4 fractals at 2 AM. Hopefully.

I see what you did there ?.

• 2 weeks later...

@Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:Yeah by themselves those combos seem fine with me, with variation based on which fractal of course, which wasn't specified. Especially toxic trail + afflicted since toxic trails don't apply afflicted conditions

I think he means Swampland with : Toxic Trail ,(and) Affliction

This my list of Death Combos:Swampland with Toxic Trail , Affliction and Social Awkwardness ( the mop phase is hell on earth)Mai Trin with Social Awkwardness , Affliction, No Pain No Gain (with Social Awkwardness in general she is a pain)Aetherblade with Social Awkwardness, Flux Bomb, Mists Convergence (Tentacle) (no place to run to in the cage fight)

Underground Facility this is more a guess then a experience: Flux Bomb, Mists Convergence (Tentacle), Fractal Vindicator shoudln't be hard as the others but not nice

Problem in general is when you have no space to evade through the influxes this can mean a healer becomes an absolute demanding part of your group or even the fractal becomes impossible.

I just have problems with 2 instabilities now.Social awkardness just makes you hate your teammates and also results in players yelling at each other.Flux bomb is fine most of the time except for the challenge modes. If one of the dps gets it during burn phases it's just RIP clean kill. The indicator is also hard to see with indicator spam at MAMA. Flux Bomb, Last Laugh and the erupting circle aoe attack cover the entire ground.Flux Bomb can also trigger on the console in Underground Facility. The button guys can at least use invulnerability skills to tank through it but the only counterplay for the console is to not get in combat which isn't easy without stealth spam.

@Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:If certain combos prove to be consistently bad, I can see about adding a mutual exclusion list, so that for instance last laugh can never happen with toxic trails. However, I'd rather try rebalancing the instabilities instead. last laugh and toxic trails could use tweaks I think.

Having vindicators on 99 during last boss puzzle phases is real bad, especially for cm. Also what day do these instabilities change for the week?

@Trae.2384 said:

@Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:If certain combos prove to be consistently bad, I can see about adding a mutual exclusion list, so that for instance last laugh can never happen with toxic trails. However, I'd rather try rebalancing the instabilities instead. last laugh and toxic trails could use tweaks I think.

Having vindicators on 99 during last boss puzzle phases is real bad, especially for cm. Also what day do these instabilities change for the week?

From this threadhttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/35573/99cm-with-flux-bomb-on-bullet-hell-phase-is-rather-ridiculous-imo/p1

@Benjamin Arnold.3457 said:

@Grogba.6204 said:Vindicators in cm99 were/are much worse on ensyloss during the capture phases tbh.

Vindicators are going to be disabled for the capture point phase only. The point of that phase is that one person can carry a whole team of 5 through if they are good enough. Vindicators make that nearly impossible if the other four go down quickly.

@Last Crysis.1934 said:I am ok with vindicators for 99 not when you add toxic trail kitten? It is 100% death.

Yeah Im ok with vindicators in 99 as well, I dont know about 99 reg because ive never done it since instabs changed but I am speaking for 99cm and when you have downs on Enso bullet phase, many times its multiple vinds per dead person from orb rallies and stuff, its a wipe. Theres been one instance where Ive seen a solo carry of more than 1 ring and it was a scourge wvw type dude, with survive the apocalypse gear on. The developer even said he wanted vindicators to create a snowball effect of death when multiple ppl down, in this case that def happens but a little too much. Now ppl are gging if they think their gonna down to prevent a wipe, cant imagine thats the strategy developers intended on this particular scenario, 99cm enso bullet phase. Obviously not becuase the link above says they are going to remove them from this phase, which is definitely a good call.

Archived