Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

3 hours ago, Hell Nirvana.9045 said:

Looks like I can't get the game to work after today's update.

My whole desktop environment freezes when the launcher is supposed to appear. I've tried different clean Proton prefixes, and even tried dropping from kernel 6.7 to 6.6 🤔

Getting this as well under lutris (wine-ge-8-25) and i managed to start the game by clicking where the buttons should be to log in.

Disabling desktop effects on KDE when launching the game did the trick for me so that i can get it to work normally without freezing. I'm guessing they changed something in the launcher code which causes it to explode under wine/proton.

Edited by PzTnT.7198

Same thing's happening to me, but pressing enter twice instead of using my mouse works, though the launcher is generating 100% cpu usage on one core, what a launcher! (unfortunately it's not arcdps)

Edited by Sina.9208

Out of curiosity, what distros/DEs are you on if you got the freezing issue? 

Myself I'm running garuda linux (arch based) with KDE as the desktop environment with X11. Another thing to note may be that arch put out an update to use dbus-broker by default yesterday, so it could be related as well, but i suspect not.

Edited by PzTnT.7198

Hi :)! Wayland user here!

Same issue for me, I could play without issue yesterday night, even after the update.

Since 2 hours ago, I can't launch the game anymore. Under any proton / wine version, the launcher starts, goes to "Initializing..." and then freezes my whole computer.
Tried it on 2 different PC, both on Arch KDE Wayland.

I tried to downgrade linux kernel with no success.
Pressing enter twice (or disabling desktop effects) doesn't work for me either.

Only way to enter the game for me is to use X11 again...
So if anyone comes here using wayland and can't fix it, try using X11!

EndeavourOS, KDE, Wayland. Same issue, entire desktop freezes including cursor.

Furiously clicking enter does not work

Switching to X11 allows launcher to draw at least some of its interface but it freezes anyway.

• Like 2

Okay so it is indeed impossible on Wayland, I just tried on Hyprland.

So basically use X11 WITH COMPOSITING OFF and do not click with the mouse on anything before pressing enter to log in & pressing it again to play.  (make sure the window gets focus without clicking into it, such as using mouse follow focus/sloppy.focus)

Did anyone try it with gamescope on Wayland?

Edited by Sina.9208

1 hour ago, PzTnT.7198 said:

Another thing to note may be that arch put out an update to use dbus-broker by default yesterday, so it could be related as well, but i suspect not.

Not it. I installed that after my daily fractals today, has no influence on this.

2 hours ago, Sina.9208 said:

Not it. I installed that after my daily fractals today, has no influence on this.

Additionally i have already checked that by switching back to dbus-daemon.

In general it is curious, i have updated GW2 yesterday minutes after patch went live, then logged into the game, cleaned inventory after earlier daily fractals and logged off. Next time I wanted to play game was already freezing. So it was not initial yesterdays patch, but rather patch they pushed afterward.

I heard rumors about a small subset of GW2 devs using the Steamdeck & GW2 working on the Steamdeck should be at least somewhat important to them.

But yeah GW2's launcher has always been notoriously heavy with all those insane transparency effects running on top of a web browser?, I have totally though this exact event could happen one day.

It's still working for me after the update, the launcher, the game, WV / TP, everything, as before.

Kernel 6.6.10, EndeavourOS/Arch, KDE, Wayland. Last I've updated my desktop was Monday night.

I'm using Steam (non-flatpack/snap) as a 3rd-party launcher with GE-Proton 8.25, not the Steam native GW2 version. My command line is (Radeon 6650XT card + Mesa 23.3.2-2):

WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1 RADV_PERFTEST=aco,sam,bolist,gpl,nggc gamemoderun %command%

(Some test bits maybe redundant now, but whatever.)

If it's the launcher, then maybe it's a missing electron dependency? Monday I got a few updates and a new version. I have "electron 28-1", "electron25 25.9.8-1", and "electron28 28.1.1-1" now.

16 minutes ago, Sina.9208 said:

I heard rumors about a small subset of GW2 devs using the Steamdeck & GW2 working on the Steamdeck should be at least somewhat important to them.

But yeah GW2's launcher has always been notoriously heavy with all those insane transparency effects running on top of a web browser?, I have totally though this exact event could happen one day.

Those devs have little control over how the game performs on a Steamdeck.  That part is up to Valve.

6 hours ago, PzTnT.7198 said:

Out of curiosity, what distros/DEs are you on if you got the freezing issue?

Manjaro and Plasma.

It's something in a recent package update that seems to cause it for me. If I revert the last update via Timeshift, the launcher works again.

17 hours ago, PzTnT.7198 said:

i managed to start the game by clicking where the buttons should be to log in.

Didn't work for me and neither did pressing Enter. Can't even switch to another TTY. Seems me and @Catory.3954 have the same issue. Seems like the GPU hangs when the launcher is supposed to appear. Mine is 7800 XT.

Edited by Hell Nirvana.9045

I doubt its the launcher either at this point. It appears to be something that went into an update of some linux component on arch based systems with KDE specifically.

If i had to guess from the stuff in my log id say pixman or libplacebo as both are used for 2d graphics stuff and were in my update list yesterday. Some KDE stuff may be a likely culprit as well since we all seem to be using that. I can also get the launcher to work if i disable desktop effects while launching it.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, garpu.6210 said:

Something changed with the launcher, and something in proton needs to change to adjust for it.

But then the launcher would be broken no matter what, yes? Like I said, I can get the game working just fine with Proton builds I've used before. Since the issue gets fixed when I revert my last system update (which doesn't contain any Proton packages), it seems more like an issue with Arch. Or Proton team needing to catch up with whatever Arch did?

Edited by Hell Nirvana.9045

10 minutes ago, PzTnT.7198 said:

I doubt its the launcher either at this point. It appears to be something that went into an update of some linux component on arch based systems with KDE specifically.

If i had to guess from the stuff in my log id say pixman or libplacebo as both are used for 2d graphics stuff and were in my update list yesterday. Some KDE stuff may be a likely culprit as well since we all seem to be using that. I can also get the launcher to work if i disable desktop effects while launching it.

FWIW, I'm on slackware-current, so close to Arch in a lot of versions. (i'm using X11 and XFCE4, though.) pixman is 0.43.0 for me. We're not using libplacebo. What happens if you downgrade pixman?

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, garpu.6210 said:

FWIW, I'm on slackware-current, so close to Arch in a lot of versions. (i'm using X11 and XFCE4, though.) pixman is 0.43.0 for me. We're not using libplacebo. What happens if you downgrade pixman?

Downgrading both and some other packages that are dependent on libplacebo fixed the issue. I will try to find out which one of those is the culprit.

Correction downgrading pixman fixes the issue.

Edited by cahir.8763
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Amazing job figuring this one out. Let's hope this bug is not niche enough for this problem to be ignored for months on end. Luckily I can still run the game, so don't have to downgrade, though I did test it.

(I feel a bit dumb to immediately blame Anet, while did not even consider Arch farting in my face)

Edited by Sina.9208
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cahir.8763 said:

Correction downgrading pixman fixes the issue.

According to the source log, a few days ago they removed two "unused" functions and did some float128 change, then bumped the version number up. The new version went into the Arch extra yesterday. I'm also on 0.42.2.

Edited by zistenz.1945
  • Like 1

0.42.2-1 was released on 2nd November 2022 and on same day package was updated in arch repo, so any of changes made after that date could have caused it. Now i wonder if updated package isgoing to be required by xorg-xwayland in Plasma 6, i should probably check RC1 or ask on endeavouros forum

For now pixman got on naughty list in pacman.conf

Edited by cahir.8763
  • Like 2