Botting Necro's/Engineers lowering my enjoyment of the game.

Abakk.9176

@infrequentia.3465 said:

@Henry.5713 said:This one again, eh. The topic on the old forums had some hillarious explanations why this should be allowed. Remember someone said they log in multiple characters to help out their girlfriend who does not have enough time to keep up as if that is something to be admired...

Quite frankly, I do not care about the influence on the economy, I do not care about them taking away spots from real players. I only have one real issue with this.It is nothing more and nothing less than the fact macro farming (for a use of a better term) is allowed to continue without any consequences in a AAA MMORPG.So, why is this a problem to me you might ask... Well, have you ever picked up a new game and the first thing you saw were waves of bots? Did you continue to play the game with the previous enthusiam or did it throw a bad light on the people in charge, them not even caring enough to do something about it? It certainly does for me.

actually GW2 at launch was that

BOOM another party of 10-40 BEAR RANGERS running around killing things

now they are a in forgotten corner of the map way out of the way of where normal people would go

except maybe the OP who apperently goes there to play hero and running around dodging things hitting things

but can't because a necro is sitting there killing things

Pardon me but it's 3 Necro's and 12 minions effectively removing a part of the content for the rest of the players.

It's bad gaming, no matter how fiercely its beeing downplayed by the farming-lobby.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Abakk.9176 said:

@Henry.5713 said:This one again, eh. The topic on the old forums had some hillarious explanations why this should be allowed. Remember someone said they log in multiple characters to help out their girlfriend who does not have enough time to keep up as if that is something to be admired...

Quite frankly, I do not care about the influence on the economy, I do not care about them taking away spots from real players. I only have one real issue with this.It is nothing more and nothing less than the fact macro farming (for a use of a better term) is allowed to continue without any consequences in a AAA MMORPG.So, why is this a problem to me you might ask... Well, have you ever picked up a new game and the first thing you saw were waves of bots? Did you continue to play the game with the previous enthusiam or did it throw a bad light on the people in charge, them not even caring enough to do something about it? It certainly does for me.

now they are a in forgotten corner of the map way out of the way of where normal people would go

except maybe the OP who apperently goes there to play hero and running around dodging things hitting things

Pardon me but it's 3 Necro's and 12 minions effectively removing a part of the content for the rest of the players.

It's bad gaming, no matter how fiercely its beeing downplayed by the farming-lobby.

oh excuse me

3 necro's sitting a corner of the map killing thingswhile the op wants to play hero and run around dodging and hitting things

its really bad gaming if muh minority can't run and dodge and hit things

@infrequentia.3465 said:

oh excuse me

3 necro's sitting a corner of the map killing thingswhile the op wants to play hero and run around dodging and hitting things

Guild Wars 2 ... just as any other MMORPG out there, is DESIGNED around running around as a hero killing stuff. And im pretty certain we are NOT 'muh minority' ... YET!

@Abakk.9176 said:

oh excuse me

Guild Wars 2 ... just as any other MMORPG out there, is DESIGNED around running around as a hero killing stuff. And im pretty certain we are NOT 'muh minority' ... YET!

1 player ( you)vs 3 players ( the 3 necros)

are you in the majority or minority?

@infrequentia.3465 said:

oh excuse me

It's not me against them (even though that would still put ME in the right) but normal gameplay against GUILD FARM 2.

@Abakk.9176 said:

oh excuse me

It's not me against them (although that would still put ME in the right) but normal gameplay against GUILD FARM 2.

but how are you in the RIGHT if they aren't the WRONG.

they are only in the WRONG by your standards of NORMAL gameplay

and so we come back to normal gameplay againwhat is normal gameplay then.

Guildwars 2 is made and played by...PLAY HOW YOU WANT.NOT PLAY HOW @Abakk.9176 wants

@infrequentia.3465 said:

oh excuse me

It's not me against them (although that would still put ME in the right) but normal gameplay against GUILD FARM 2.

Definitely not a clump of bot farmers ruining the game for others.

@Abakk.9176 said:

oh excuse me

ruining it for youby the looks of most people in this thread not for others

they want to play it their way and are allowed to do so

they are also in majority in this case and only 1 person so far has problems with them being there and killing them

@infrequentia.3465 said:

oh excuse me

ruining it for youby the looks of most people in this thread not for others

they want to play it their way and are allowed to do so

they are also in majority in this case and only 1 person so far has problems with them being there and killing them

Right or wrong has nothing to do with minority/majority.

But for now it seems they have dissapeared. So case closed until the next nest of gamewreckers.

Cheers! :)

I mained a necro up until the release of PoF (cause i dislike the new elite) and rarely if ever play with minions. The reason, is because having them out means everyone and their brother stops and bugs you. You can be fighting 20 mobs, dodging, using every ability on both weapon sets and shroud and people think you are AFK farming JUST because you use minions. Engineers with turrets have the same issue. "Oh look, a guy with turrets" they MUST be AFK. FYI: turrets despawn every 3 minutes.

If you see the same toon in the same place 24 hours a day, every day of the week...they are NOT "AFK" farming, they are botting (people need sleep you know). Yes, you should report botters. If you see a toon with minions or turrets out, you should NOT ride by and spam reports on them because you do not like a built in class mechanic. Anet has stated that even mindless farming (watching a movie on a second monitor) is ok as long as the player is actually sitting at their computer. Using minions or turrets does NOT mean AFK. People keep using the "AFK" farming to mean people are using minions or turrets, even when players are AT their computer, actively playing.Yes, you can lazily farm with minions, but standing in 1 place, watching a movie on a second monitor and just hitting target and auto attack over and over is NOT AFK farming. Nothing about that is against the ToS.

@Abakk.9176 said:

@"Yamazuki.6073" said:Complaining someone else is 1 shotting low level mobs before you can is extremely silly.Oww... luckily i didn't make a thread about that... pheww ;)

Person I was responding to said that, however, if you insists on a response too:"Some of my favorite fighting spots are unusable because the mobs are beeing killed at the spawnpoint. So it's not about the KILLRIGHTS or about the MATERIALS but about ATTACKING, DODGING, and FIGHTING mobs."

This is what your original post said. You're complaining about mobs being killed too quickly, which would happen regardless of whether they bot, afk farm, or what ever. You used "botters" as a scapegoat to try and get someone to "agree" with you, even though in reality they don't actually agree with you...

I would have to say this takes the statement "First world problems" to an entirely new level. I suppose it's never really an official game forum without some joke topics.

@Yamazuki.6073 said:

@Yamazuki.6073 said:Complaining someone else is 1 shotting low level mobs before you can is extremely silly.Oww... luckily i didn't make a thread about that... pheww ;)

Person I was responding to said that, however, if you insists on a response too:"Some of my favorite fighting spots are unusable because the mobs are beeing killed at the spawnpoint. So it's not about the KILLRIGHTS or about the MATERIALS but about ATTACKING, DODGING, and FIGHTING mobs."

This is what your original post said. You're complaining about mobs being killed too quickly, which would happen regardless of whether they bot, afk farm, or what ever. You used "botters" as a scapegoat to try and get someone to "agree" with you, even though in reality they don't actually agree with you...

I would have to say this takes the statement "First world problems" to an entirely new level. I suppose it's never really an official game forum without some joke topics.

Sorry but im not complaining about mobs beeing killed too quickly. I was pretty clear in my OP i think.

It's not my fault people only see what they want to see. I've even explained a few times over but seemingly to no avail.

And in your post you were referring to my OP... so my reply was entirely appropriate :)

@Diak Atoli.2085 said:Hmm. I can not tell if this is a Troll or not. Interesting... Well played, sir. Very well played. Golfclaps.

been thinking the same thing all along. but what the heck. its fun, even got a warning out of it. somebody needs to give him his ball so he can go home. or tell him he's right so he will shut up. :p :) =) <3 :3

@Abakk.9176 said:One or more Necro's/Engineers botting some area with fast spawning mobs are really starting to get on my nerves. They block off area's where mobs spawn and where it used to be fun to defend against- or fight small waves of mobs.

Can't there be some mechanic added to minions that despawns them after a period of time of inactivity by the player character? Or at least something like that? Or just log off the character from the game after some inactivity like in any other game.

You see them everywhere these days, it's running rampant.

EDIT: [ for those that think this is about AFK farming: ]

Some of my favorite fighting spots are unusable because the mobs are beeing killed at the spawnpoint. So it's not about the KILLRIGHTS or about the MATERIALS but about ATTACKING, DODGING, and FIGHTING mobs.

I had to check if this was another sort of 'necro' thread. I honestly did. I was following well til I saw Engineers.

As for the necromancer class. Don't care. Don't play one. But back to Engineers.

Engineers? Truly? What- all twenty that are still actively playing? In 2018 this is what's giving you such a hard time in GW2? I could understand this if it was back in the days when our turrets were still worth even half a damn, but now? And even if they're attempting to farm spawn points I say pity them. They're hurting their own gaming experience probably more than yours as they're absolute rubbish at farming. Even so, mobs are such now that you only have to go over the next hill to find even more of them. But never mind that -back to Engineers and pity.

Engineers are just about the worst in every game mode now and now you're upset at someone trying to farm using one. 1) They're probably getting rubbish for loot. 2) anything they break and attempt to sell is worth next to nothing now on the BLE for the purposes of quickly dumping it for a dubious profit(thank you griffons). 3) I still laugh at the notion of farming and if any bit of this is true then you needn't worry as anything even remotely profitable in GW2 for making gold of any sort gets nerfed into the ground right quick. and 4) What makes your post stink is that you never give any specific farming locations this just seems to be a thinly disguised, 'nerf this profession because...this,' thread. 5) And even if it isn't a 'nerf this profession' thread it's most certainly a, 'Someone isn't playing the way I want them to, please stop them,' thread, which in some ways is even worse.

So yeah. Leave Engineers, the mentally challenged cousins of just about every Engineer class/subclass in every single other game that actually gets them right(not GW2 though) alone, thanks.

... No. NO, I've been staring at this post for a while before actually posting it and I'm still sort of marveling over this. Way to kick a profession when it's down. When it's been perennially down and kicked, and kicked, and kicked some more. I just don't understand this.

@Iozeph.5617 said:I had to check if this was another sort of 'necro' thread. I honestly did. I was following well til I saw Engineers.[...]... No. NO, I've been staring at this post for a while before actually posting it and I'm still sort of marveling over this. Way to kick a profession when it's down. When it's been perennially down and kicked, and kicked, and kicked some more. I just don't understand this.

I loved my little engi. But she had to die -> Lake Doric hysteria :'(

@infrequentia.3465 said:

They were a problem for ANET then, just like the dry top afk bot /macro farms that were an issue for ANET then.. so why now are the masses of necro MM's and Engi turreters not a problem.. like many other things there is a double standard to how ANET act on their own ToS.But nice attempt at smoke screening the issue.We get it.. you don't care because either you simply don't care, or you don't care because it might add a voice to the discontent of ANET's ignorance to the issue and something might get done about it.. then you might care me thinks.

I would hazard a guess all those naysayers in this thread are AFK farming some fast respawn mobs in game, so of course they would not or simply refuse to acknowledge the issue.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@"Henry.5713" said:This one again, eh. The topic on the old forums had some hillarious explanations why this should be allowed. Remember someone said they log in multiple characters to help out their girlfriend who does not have enough time to keep up as if that is something to be admired...

They were a problem for ANET then, just like the dry top afk bot /macro farms that were an issue for ANET then.. so why now are the masses of necro MM's and Engi turreters not a problem.. like many other things there is a double standard to how ANET act on their own ToS.But nice attempt at smoke screening the issue.We get it.. you don't care because either you simply don't care, or you don't care because it might add a voice to the discontent of ANET's ignorance to the issue and something might get done about it.. then you might care me thinks.

I would hazard a guess all those naysayers in this thread are AFK farming some fast respawn mobs in game, so of course they would not or simply refuse to acknowledge the issue.

We don't know if the players the OP is "bothered" by were botters or not. We do know the OP is mad that someone was in "his" farming spot. He dislikes others farming where he likes to, and, he disagrees with the class mechanics of engineers and necros because he could not compete with them for killing the mobs. If the 3 necros were botting, than yes, good on OP for reporting them and getting them removed (if they were). BUT, people using minions or turrets to make farming mindless while they sit at their computer is NOT a problem and not against the ToS. Anet has explained what is ok and what isn't very clearly. There is nothing to dispute. Anet said what players can and can't do. If a toon is in 1 place 24 hours a day, 7 days a week...likely a bot...report it. But you are wasting Anet's time if you just run around reporting every player with a minion and turret out just because you dislike a core part of their class mechanics.

Whereas I wouldn't go as far to say AFK farmers and botters are ruining my enjoyment, I think it's true to say that they have the potential to cause problems for legitimate players, especially when it comes to doing renown hearts near where AFK farmers/botters are located (The bottom right of the Iron Marches springs to mind).

This issue wouldn't have been an issue had the devs been clear about it in the first place and not caused confusion about it when this first came about. This has been going on for a year to 18 months now. I think there needs to be a very loud and very clear message from ArenaNet that AFK Farming/Botting is not ok. Just simply saying unattended gameplay is against the ToS on the forums as they did a year to 18 months ago (after a rather confusing month of debate) will not cut it anymore.

The message needs to be powerful if they are committed to stopping unattended gameplay.

This problem could be addressed instantly by Anet removing the auto attack feature which all players have.If unattended play is not permitted, then this feature has no place in the game , but everyone will complain if its removed.So Anet have in part created the problem themselves by the game design.The definition of AFK also needs to be clarified.How far away is away?Actively playing the game is also unclear as there is no definition of what playing the game means.eg is a player who spends most of their time standing in front of the TP buying and selling items but not moving playing the game?I do this a lot.

@penelopehannibal.8947 said:This issue wouldn't have been an issue had the devs been clear about it in the first place and not caused confusion about it when this first came about. This has been going on for a year to 18 months now. I think there needs to be a very loud and very clear message from ArenaNet that AFK Farming/Botting is not ok. Just simply saying unattended gameplay is against the ToS on the forums as they did a year to 18 months ago (after a rather confusing month of debate) will not cut it anymore.

The message needs to be powerful if they are committed to stopping unattended gameplay.

They have, and have clearly said what is ok and what isn't.

Botting (third party program or macro)...not OK.Summoning minions/turrets to farm and going to sleep (or to work, or the store)...not OK.

Setting up a necro with minions to farm for you while you sit at your computer and watch a movie/occasionally resummon them, talk to guildies, etc...OK.Same thing as above with engineer and turrets (they only last 3 minutes anyway) - place them, watch them kill stuff, resummon them...OK.As long as you don't have a third party tool/macro/program do that for you...IT IS OK.

I don't understand why people don't comprehend this when Anet has clearly spelled out what is and isn't ok.

@Ubi.4136 said:

@"penelopehannibal.8947" said:This issue wouldn't have been an issue had the devs been clear about it in the first place and not caused confusion about it when this first came about. This has been going on for a year to 18 months now. I think there needs to be a very loud and very clear message from ArenaNet that AFK Farming/Botting is not ok. Just simply saying unattended gameplay is against the ToS on the forums as they did a year to 18 months ago (after a rather confusing month of debate) will not cut it anymore.

They have, and have clearly said what is ok and what isn't.

Botting (third party program or macro)...not OK.Summoning minions/turrets to farm and going to sleep (or to work, or the store)...not OK.

Setting up a necro with minions to farm for you while you sit at your computer and watch a movie/occasionally resummon them, talk to guildies, etc...OK.Same thing as above with engineer and turrets (they only last 3 minutes anyway) - place them, watch them kill stuff, resummon them...OK.As long as you don't have a third party tool/macro/program do that for you...IT IS OK.

I don't understand why people don't comprehend this when Anet has clearly spelled out what is and isn't ok.

We know what ANET "say".. seeing the same names in the same spot for months and months 24/7 is not "normal gameplay" or perhaps the film has taken a little longer than expected.Masses of turret and minions all in the same spot doing the exact auto attacking at the ground waiting for the respawns to cross line of fire all day everyday is not intended gameplay and is quite clearly a violation. Why do you think ANET jumped on it in dry top when it was going on.. sorry but no the problem is widespread across most maps now and has gone beyond a few players chancing their luck.Those who say they have never seen any.. I smell bs or your always on a copy map because the amount of afk'ers has forced a new map copy. As I have said I can venture up to Rankor Ruins most days and not be able to count the number of them because there are so many being covered with turrets and minions, somedays there are none, but the names are all online in Timberline and they are all in the same place, just not on my map copy.When that situation arises it darn well does make me think why bother playing the game if all I have to see is swathes of AFK;ers on maps. Sure I would like to kill some of those mobs but when 10,20,50 afkers are hitting it as well you have no chance to tag it unless I too plant myself and afk auto.Bottom line is actions speak louder than words.. ignorance and double standards are all I see these days in this game, which is the reason why I spend less time in game now and certainly spend hardly any real coin anymore buying gems and wont unless they actually do something to prevent these exploiters gaming the system... but we both know that isn't going to happen.

@"mauried.5608" said:This problem could be addressed instantly by Anet removing the auto attack feature which all players have.If unattended play is not permitted, then this feature has no place in the game , but everyone will complain if its removed.

You mean autocast, not autoattack.

The definition of AFK also needs to be clarified.How far away is away?

It already has been clarified, and has been reposted again and again, also already in this thread. ArenaNet defines AFK as being "Unresponsive to GM interaction", meaning that when you are at the computer playing the game, you will notice when a GM tries to talk/interact with you so you are not AFK. If you are at the PC but only pressing buttons while watching a movie you are not physically "away" from the keyboard, but you are also not looking, so this is considered AFK. If you are at school/work/asleep and your char stands there autocasting, you will of course also not respond to a GM which is the standard widely accepted definition of being AFK. You do have plenty of time to respond to a GM, however ArenaNet will not reveal how long exactly.

Actively playing the game is also unclear as there is no definition of what playing the game means.eg is a player who spends most of their time standing in front of the TP buying and selling items but not moving playing the game?I do this a lot.

Actively playing the game is the opposite of being AFK. If you are near the pc and paying attention, then you are actively playing. If you are near the pc but not paying attention, then you are afk (even if you press a button while watching your movie). If you are away and couldn't pay attention even if you wanted to, then you are of course also afk.

For the official source and clarification link on those things check back at my earlier post in this thread.

• ArenaNet Staff

Are they truly botting? Or are they simply farming proficiently?

If you have a strong reason to believe they're botting, have you reported them using the in-game report system? I just talked to a CS lead today and they confirm that reports are seen, are reviewed, and when verified (often live) they result in action on an account.

Archived