Gender equality, female sylvari need mohawks too!

@"Trise.2865" said:I don't see what "gender equality" has to do with hair styles, but sure... I'm all for more style options.

It's tough to do on Sylvari though, since their heads/hair are leaves. It has to look natural and grown, which a mohawk is definitively not. Though, I bet there's a way to do spiky, bush-like boughs... head-sticks for everyone!

Top right: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/4/45/Sylvari_male_hair_styles.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@"Trise.2865" said:I don't see what "gender equality" has to do with hair styles, but sure... I'm all for more style options.

It's tough to do on Sylvari though, since their heads/hair are leaves. It has to look natural and grown, which a mohawk is definitively not. Though, I bet there's a way to do spiky, bush-like boughs... head-sticks for everyone!

Top right:

That's... not a mohawk, strictly speaking, but sure, I can get behind that. And pigtails (cattails?). And long, vertical, radial sticks for Charr-like mohawks.

@Trise.2865 said:

@Trise.2865 said:I don't see what "gender equality" has to do with hair styles, but sure... I'm all for more style options.

Top right:

That's... not a mohawk, strictly speaking, but sure, I can get behind that. And pigtails (cattails?). And long, vertical, radial sticks for Charr-like mohawks.

How is it not a Mohawk?

@Trise.2865 said:

@Trise.2865 said:I don't see what "gender equality" has to do with hair styles, but sure... I'm all for more style options.

Top right:

That's... not a mohawk, strictly speaking

It is, but the staright-on angle of that picture does a poor job on showing it. Turned to the side you can see if goes all the way back across the head like a typical mohawk.

@Trise.2865 said:

Top right:

Here’s a better picture. Shows a side view. (Bottom left)

vXJUuCMm.jpg

@aceofbass.2163 said:

@"chrisjfinlay.5614" said:The big problem for Sylvari with hairstyles that leave a lot of the head shaved/bald, is that the head texture looks like wooden flooring. I love the "shaved one side, long the other" look and wanted it for my character, but after running with it for a week I couldn't keep my eyes away from the planks of wood that made up the left side of my head. It was far too distracting.

agrRc8E.jpg

Well uhm IMO what I like about the sylvari is they are not just some leaf covered humanoids. They are actual botanical beings. So when I read your comment about the skin looking like wooden flooring, it automatically popped into my head "what's wrong with that?".

A good read about sylvari and how they came to be:
. I really admire how Kristen Perry made the sylvari the way they are.

I'm not asking them to have simple human-esque heads, but I think there needs to be a more "natural" pattern on their skin. You don't normally find many straight lines in nature and to have the head looking like planks of wood is a bit jarring, at least to me. You could have some vines, or wood knots etc on there. Or maybe something like on the leaves that's part of the armour I'm wearing in that screenshot. Anything except something that looks like my kitchen floor.

@Psylocker.5264 said:

@Hoodie.1045 said:Have you ever thought that the reason why female sylvari don't have mohawks is because men and women tend to have different flavors in fashion?

Honey u are kinda wrong here :/

I do not see how that is wrong, genders do have completely different tastes, and people with more feminine energy or masculine do as well so that would make sense.

@Ryou.2398 said:

@Hoodie.1045 said:Have you ever thought that the reason why female sylvari don't have mohawks is because men and women tend to have different flavors in fashion?

I do not see how that is wrong, genders do have completely different tastes, and people with more feminine energy or masculine do as well so that would make sense.

Taste is subjective, but there is something that factors in HIGHLY when it comes to fashion and that's social acceptance and body type. While this is currently in the flux and we are having a huge evolution when it comes to what is accepted and what is not, generally genders do not always have different tastes in fashion, its all subjective and individual.Huge factor in defining a taste in most cases when it comes to body type, certain things look better on certain body types and since male and female in many cases ( there are quite a few body types that are naturally leaning to the other gender body type, women with board shoulders, man with bigger hips and leaner waist etc ) and that usually factors in how one dresses and what they eventually GROW to like. But in reality its all very very individual.When ti comes to hair styles tho THE LINE IS BLURRY especially now in 2018. There is no men or female hairstyles in majority of cases anymore, there is short medium and long.I like heels altho u wont even see me wear them because it is not socially acceptable and I am not a drag queen that doesn't mean that I don't like a mean stiletto, but I did rock a freaking long hair and bangs!

@Psylocker.5264 said:

Taste is subjective, but there is something that factors in HIGHLY when it comes to fashion and that's social acceptance and body type. While this is currently in the flux and we are having a huge evolution when it comes to what is accepted and what is not, generally genders do not always have different tastes in fashion, its all subjective and individual.Huge factor in defining a taste in most cases when it comes to body type, certain things look better on certain body types and since male and female in many cases ( there are quite a few body types that are naturally leaning to the other gender body type, women with board shoulders, man with bigger hips and leaner waist etc ) and that usually factors in how one dresses and what they eventually GROW to like. But in reality its all very very individual.When ti comes to hair styles tho THE LINE IS BLURRY especially now in 2018. There is no men or female hairstyles in majority of cases anymore, there is short medium and long.I like heels altho u wont even see me wear them because it is not socially acceptable and I am not a drag queen that doesn't mean that I don't like a mean stiletto, but I did rock a freaking long hair and bangs!

Well I guess we will have to disagree, because I have done my own research and have my own experiences just as well, biology is very real and far from subjective certain things are hardwired in our dna rather we like to admit it or not, anyways this is not the place to have a huge debate about this.

@Ryou.2398 said:

Well I guess we will have to disagree, because I have done my own research and have my own experiences just as well, biology is very real and far from subjective certain things are hardwired in our dna rather we like to admit it or not, anyways this is not the place to have a huge debate about this.

Yes biology is very real but what we personally like has more to do with out personality then what we have in our pants. Colors for instance are the best example for this, people with more timid personalities tend to like more natural and softer colors then people who are aggressive etc. When it comes to aesthetics it really does come down to our personality.

@Ryou.2398 said:

And u are right it isnt a place for debate, thumbs up for not insulting each other we deserve a beer!

@Psylocker.5264 said:

And u are right it isnt a place for debate, thumbs up for not insulting each other we deserve a beer!

I've been keeping my popcorn at the ready, I'm dissappointed!

I think a big thing to remember is that the notion of what's fashionable and acceptable changes so often. 100 years ago it was pink for boys, blue for girls. Now it's the other way round. In the 20's, women's fashion featured considerably shorter haircuts than we see today. It's all change change change, and there's no harm in letting people rep how they see fit.

@chrisjfinlay.5614 said:

I've been keeping my popcorn at the ready, I'm dissappointed!

I think a big thing to remember is that the notion of what's fashionable and acceptable changes so often. 100 years ago it was pink for boys, blue for girls. Now it's the other way round. In the 20's, women's fashion featured considerably shorter haircuts than we see today. It's all change change change, and there's no harm in letting people rep how they see fit.

I am so sorry to disappoint! Come to my guilds training raid runs for some savagnes I protect my non meta peeps wholeheartedly

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@Klipso.8653 said:Technically Sylvari have no genderWhy not? Plants can have different sexes. Gender is a social construct. Sylvari are plants with the ability to create social constructs. They should be able to have genders.

I guess @Klipso.8653 is technically correct, the best kind of correct, but also strictly irrelevant to the discussion at hand: Sylvari have copied human gender expressions and physique, and we have at least hints that they have some internal structures cloning organs even if they are not strictly functional.

So ... yeah, what @Ardid.7203 said.

uhmm, plants have genders, we just don't identify it like organics.

@Nath Forge Tempete.1645 said:If you calling for gender equality , than i'll shout for less dress - skirt for light armor male character ... thanks

Well, it's not like the light armor women get any less of them. Not that I would object: I strongly prefer to avoid that, and I have one pair of pants -- embroidered -- that let me get away from it.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@Tenrai Senshi.2017 said:Can we... you know... ask for stuff without having to wave the gender equality flag? It gets a bit tiresome after a while.

This problem is most easily solved by delivering gender equality, at which point you will no longer be subject to tiresome requests for it.

But this issue is not an issue of gender equality to begin with. It's more than likely an issue of differences between character models and how different hair styles fit different models (which, you know, take time and resources to create). There's no reason to bring an agenda to what should simply be a normal request for additional content.

@Tenrai Senshi.2017 said:

@Tenrai Senshi.2017 said:Can we... you know... ask for stuff without having to wave the gender equality flag? It gets a bit tiresome after a while.

This problem is most easily solved by delivering gender equality, at which point you will no longer be subject to tiresome requests for it.

But this issue is not an issue of gender equality to begin with.

I'm inclined to agree with you here, but obviously the OP isn't. I honestly didn't think it was worth dragging the politics in to object to it.

There's no reason to bring an agenda to what should simply be a normal request for additional content.

...and yet, here you are, doing exactly that with your initial post. If you believe that, why did you act contrary to your stated belief?

@Psylocker.5264 said:

Lmao.

Archived