Directional Blocking... ?

So I was wondering (mistake already)... Why is directional blocking hardly a thing? Having all blocks be directional could only increase the tactical depth of the PvP, IMO, so why do you think they went with the design choice of having blocks be omni-directional? Usually, If you want to block a strike, you put the defensive object (often a shield) between you and the opponents strike, so that it hits the object and not you personally. This game though, somehow has the idea that your buttocks are made of steel as long as you raise your armpit above a certain height. The only instance I can think of where this is a thing, is Guardians, specifically Dragon Hunters and their Aegis shenanigans. Otherwise, Blocking is more of a force-field, which makes sense if you think of Chronomancer... That bubble they've got going.

Any kind of pew pew would be way stronger...rangers have 1500 range so doing that out of frame is already an advantage, now add the fact that block just doesnt work if u r getting pewed pewed from the back and what would be the point of rolling that class/build at all to cpunter zed pewpew?

A Rangers range is more like 1800. That said, the numbers can easily be adjusted to better accommodate a directional block system. Aside from that, there's a multitude of reflecting walls and bubbles to throw down, so it's not like theres not enough Projectile Denial in the game to make it work.

I am not saying they should do this NOW, It's way too late for that. At this point I am just speculating why they didn't do so to begin with.

@LazySummer.2568 said:there are also some skills that only block one attack or forces your character to be stationary which are obviously worse than channeled, omnidirectional, movable ones. go figure

and the other frontal block skill is holosmith's photon wall

Ah, you're right. It only blocks projectiles though. Thanks for the reminder.

@Ryan.9387 said:This is a great idea. Imagine how interesting fights could be if things like warrior shield 5 blocked only in a cone.

Flanking and positioning would play a greater role. Not to undermine it now as it's still important, but flanking strikes would become more of a priority, and the defender would have to prioritize whose damage to mitigate if two or more opponents is impossible to block at once.

@TwiceDead.1963 said:A Rangers range is more like 1800.

While i don't want to give ranger any shit since its my main class, longbow reaches just around 1900 units on a flatish surface. If you're higher up than your targer it manages to scratch just above 2000 (tested using sic 'em as unit of measurement). On flat surfaces at the very max range the projectiles behave oddly, 50/50 if they miss or hit even if neither character is moving

@ChartFish.1308 said:

@"TwiceDead.1963" said:A Rangers range is more like 1800.

While i don't want to give ranger any kitten since its my main class, longbow reaches just around 1900 units on a flatish surface. If you're higher up than your targer it manages to scratch just above 2000 (tested using sic 'em as unit of measurement). On flat surfaces at the very max range the projectiles behave oddly, 50/50 if they miss or hit even if neither character is moving

Yeah. I'd classify it as "Effective Range 1500", as in within the range where a hit is more or less reliable... And the rest is a bonus where you have to work it some to get the most out of it.

@TwiceDead.1963 said:A Rangers range is more like 1800. That said, the numbers can easily be adjusted to better accommodate a directional block system. Aside from that, there's a multitude of reflecting walls and bubbles to throw down, so it's not like theres not enough Projectile Denial in the game to make it work.

I am not saying they should do this NOW, It's way too late for that. At this point I am just speculating why they didn't do so to begin with.The range is only 1500.

@Poelala.2830 said:

@TwiceDead.1963 said:A Rangers range is more like 1800. That said, the numbers can easily be adjusted to better accommodate a directional block system. Aside from that, there's a multitude of reflecting walls and bubbles to throw down, so it's not like theres not enough Projectile Denial in the game to make it work.

I am not saying they should do this NOW, It's way too late for that. At this point I am just speculating why they didn't do so to begin with.The range is only 1500.

If you're elevated when firing, you can increase the range.

Just like a real Archer.

@TwiceDead.1963 said:@Cregath.7628I know of DragonHunter, but the others are escaping my mind right now. Could you remind me?

@Namless.4028 said:They were able to introduce directional blocking with hot before that they werent able to do thatAlso revenant hammer 4 is a directional reflection

Pretty sure revenant hammer is direction absorb not reflection.

Archived