No pet swapping in beast mode (still) ruins Soulbeast for me.

Dojo.1867

This was the number one complaint during the beta weekend and they chose to completely ignore it. It just feels so awkward to play. Makes you kind of give up on the clunky annoyence that is getting from one pet to the other that you just stay in soulbeast form on one pet all the time. Who came up with this? It just doesn't feel right at all. It completely ruins the gameflow.

The way it should be is that the pet swapping cooldown should be universal but pet swapping should work at any time. For example if you swap in normal mode, wait 10 seconds and enter beastmode then you can swap after 5 more seconds because of the overall cooldown of 15 seconds.

Oh and fix the soulbeast form while using mounts.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Loopgru.1026 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:You're not supposed to camp beastmode

One dev made one comment about pet weaving being interesting and people act like it was written in the stars. Things change based on how players respond to it.

Remember, Reaper was "supposed" to be a power spec, too...

This isn't stated enough. The dev said he was looking forward to people popping in and out of Beastmode and not just camping it, he NEVER stated that you weren't supposed to camp Beastmode. If they really didn't want to allow us to stay in BM, they'd have set a timer to un-merge you automatically.

Without swapping within BM, the spec feels too clunky and we can't properly utilise the alternate pets abilities for combos and utility.Even with pet swap in BM, people won't just camp BM, many people will pop out to utilise the pet.

Also, who cares if people want to camp BM anyway? People can still do it now (without using the second pet) just as some people just camp Fire on a staff Ele.

All these complaints against being able to swap are just "The dev said no, even though they didn't actually say no, and I don't want people to have options."

@psizone.8437 said:All these complaints against being able to swap are just "The dev said no, even though they didn't actually say no, and I don't want people to have options."

To be fair, I do think there are some people who genuinely want the stance dancing play style to be maintained as optimal for the spec as it is what they personally enjoy. (I'm not one of them.) I don't think allowing in-beastmode swap would necessarily do that on its own, but there is a genuine disagreement when we get to the question of whether the spec should be changed to make camping optimal instead of weaving and changes made to support that decision.

I previously commented how I was fine with no petswap in beastmode but oof, having played with Soulbeast (I reaally reallly like it though!) for so-many-hours-in-such-few-days I now absolutely agree it should be a thing.

I understand they don't want us to ''camp'' Beast Mode but hey, we should play how we want to - Also un-merging does bring other utilities if we want them in our rotation but yes, Pet Swapping in beastmode should REALLY be considered.

If it's not in for a technical standpoint, I'm sure you can find ways and focus on that now since the game has been officially released, even if it takes weeks (or a few months) but in terms of gameplay flow, it'd be REALLY nice to be able to pet swap while in Beast Mode.

While we're at it, how do people feel about being able to select pets (out of combat of course) while in beast mode? I feel it would be a really minor QoL change, but I'd welcome it, no need to go through all the Merge/Un-Merge cooldown

Maybe the issue is less that you need to demerge to swap pets and more that the cooldown timer to re-enter beastmode is so long? It's either 5 or 10 seconds, as I recall, and I really feel that unless you get kicked out of it because of Eternal Bond, that's too long. I personally wouldn't have a problem with using all my Beastmode skills, dropping out, swapping to the other pet and maybe using their utility skill before merging again. That entire exchange should take 1-2 seconds top, and being vulnerable out of Beastmode like that is really pretty risky.

@Rognik.2579 said:Maybe the issue is less that you need to demerge to swap pets and more that the cooldown timer to re-enter beastmode is so long? It's either 5 or 10 seconds, as I recall, and I really feel that unless you get kicked out of it because of Eternal Bond, that's too long. I personally wouldn't have a problem with using all my Beastmode skills, dropping out, swapping to the other pet and maybe using their utility skill before merging again. That entire exchange should take 1-2 seconds top, and being vulnerable out of Beastmode like that is really pretty risky.

IIRC, getting kicked out of BeastMode from Eternal Bond still applies the 10s CD

I'm also trying to understand why there is such a lengthy CD to entering beastmode, and honestly, have a hard time understanding the reason for that CD - we are already somewhat limited with Pet Swap timer, and the ONLY actual reason I can find to the beastmode CD are the traits Live Fast and Unstoppable Union

The solution? Simply add moderate cooldowns to those traits, as they currently have no cooldown. Simple as that. 12s or whatever's the equivalent of un-merging and merging's CDs (there is a small 2s CD to 'Leave Beastmode' once you enter it)

The gameplay flow with either petswap in beast mode or no CD beastmode could be really amazing - merging, using skills, unmerging, using pet skills, pet swapping and hoping back instantly, etc

@psizone.8437 said:

@Loopgru.1026 said:

One dev made one comment about pet weaving being interesting and people act like it was written in the stars. Things change based on how players respond to it.

This isn't stated enough. The dev said he was looking forward to people popping in and out of Beastmode and not just camping it, he NEVER stated that you weren't supposed to camp Beastmode. If they really didn't want to allow us to stay in BM, they'd have set a timer to un-merge you automatically.

Without swapping within BM, the spec feels too clunky and we can't properly utilise the alternate pets abilities for combos and utility.Even with pet swap in BM, people won't just camp BM, many people will pop out to utilise the pet.

Also, who cares if people want to camp BM anyway? People can still do it now (without using the second pet) just as some people just camp Fire on a staff Ele.

All these complaints against being able to swap are just "The dev said no, even though they didn't actually say no, and I don't want people to have options."

Are you suggesting that eles camping fire should be rewarded somehow?

Soulbeast adds a layer of difficulty to rangers for certain, choosing the right pet at the right time is what is expected from the player, being able to swap in and out of soulbeast mode is what should divide the good from the bad.

A good suggestion would be to add an effect that help players when demerging, pet swap while in BM would only create balance problems and with it unnecessary nerfs to dmg and utility, once you remove the risk...there is no need for such a high reward no?!

An example of how I use BM with smokescale:1- Pet out = burst target or smoke field usage2- Target get close = I merge than F2 -F1 - worldy impact ( I maximise the use of BM skills for the correct situation )3- Demerg= smokescale burst again or smokefield4- Change to sec pet if necessary and repeat the sequence

Thee point of soulbeast is to allow the player to merge with a pet when the situation requires it..not to change ranger into a demi-warrior

@Arheundel.6451 said:

Soulbeast adds a layer of difficulty to rangers for certain, choosing the right pet at the right time is what is expected from the player, being able to swap in and out of soulbeast mode is what should divide the good from the bad.

Your elitism lost me there pal, difficulty is added using external means like different bosses mechanics. Having to deal with a horrible class mechanic continuously is not fun at all.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

Soulbeast adds a layer of difficulty to rangers for certain, choosing the right pet at the right time is what is expected from the player, being able to swap in and out of soulbeast mode is
what should divide the good from the bad

Your elitism lost me there pal
, difficulty is added using external means like different bosses mechanics. Having to deal with a horrible class mechanic continuously is not fun at all.

But it's not a terrible mechanic, it's a sound concept it just takes time to get used to, if you want help with a working build for soulbeast then hit me in game

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@psizone.8437 said:

@Loopgru.1026 said:

A good suggestion would be to add an effect that help players when demerging, pet swap while in BM would only create balance problems and with it unnecessary nerfs to dmg and utility, once you remove the risk...there is no need for such a high reward no?!

An example of how I use BM with
smokescale
:1- Pet out = burst target or smoke field usage2-
Target get close
= I merge than F2 -F1 - worldy impact ( I maximise the use of BM skills for the correct situation )3- Demerg= smokescale burst again or smokefield4- Change to sec pet if necessary and repeat the sequence

Thee point of soulbeast is to allow the player to merge with a pet when the situation requires it..not to change ranger into a demi-warrior

Nowhere did I state that, I said that people DO it.

Your view of how the Soulbeast works/should work is vastly different to mine.

If I'm fighting in WvW/sPvP and I'm in Smokescale and the fight turns and I need to swap to a merged support pet ability that dropping out, waiting then going in takes too long and too much planning ahead to be functional.

@Loopgru.1026 said:

@psizone.8437 said:All these complaints against being able to swap are just "The dev said no, even though they didn't actually say no, and I don't want people to have options."

To be fair, I do think there are some people who genuinely want the stance dancing play style to be maintained as optimal for the spec as it is what they personally enjoy. (I'm not one of them.) I don't think allowing in-beastmode swap would necessarily do that on its own, but there is a genuine disagreement when we get to the question of whether the spec should be changed to make camping optimal instead of weaving and changes made to support that decision.

Allowing people to swap into beastmode won't be optimal even if you camp it. You'll still need to utilise your pet and unmerge.

All swapping in BM will do is give you the option of utilising the other pets abilities when you want to and need to rather than dropping out, swapping and waiting before merging and using the skills you want.

Right now it's clunky.

@psizone.8437 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@psizone.8437 said:

@Loopgru.1026 said:

smokescale
Target get close
= I merge than F2 -F1 - worldy impact ( I maximise the use of BM skills for the correct situation )3- Demerg= smokescale burst again or smokefield4- Change to sec pet if necessary and repeat the sequence

If I'm fighting in WvW/sPvP and I'm in Smokescale and the fight turns and I need to swap to a merged support pet ability that dropping out, waiting then going in takes too long and too much planning ahead to be functional.

I feel that the planning is part of the counterplay for the enemy

I dont see how saying "you're not supposed to do X" is a real arguement. It's like telling someone they HAVE to use a melee and a ranged weapon because you're supposed to dance around in combat and use both, not just camp at max range and pew pew. Using your pet and BM is alway going to have huge advantages over just using one, and that's fine, but I don't see why people should be restricted from doing just one if they want to.

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@psizone.8437 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@psizone.8437 said:

@Loopgru.1026 said:

smokescale
Target get close

It's almost impossible to plan 12 seconds ahead when fighting human players, you may as well rely on luck at that point.

Right now combat isn't fluid. Changing it would make it fluid and wouldn't affect your gameplay at all.

@Cufufalating.8479 said:I dont see how saying "you're not supposed to do X" is a real arguement. It's like telling someone they HAVE to use a melee and a ranged weapon because you're supposed to dance around in combat and use both, not just camp at max range and pew pew. Using your pet and BM is alway going to have huge advantages over just using one, and that's fine, but I don't see why people should be restricted from doing just one if they want to.

Nobody telling you what to do! If you want optimal results than unmerging and merging is the answer if you want to play your way..then nobody will force you to do otherwise

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@psizone.8437 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@psizone.8437 said:

@Loopgru.1026 said:

smokescale
Target get close

You mentioned and compared the play of Soulbeast to elementalist. I wish it were. The elementalist has a 10 second cd for attunement (8.5 traited), I'll take it for petswap/Soulbeast as a single cooldown. I'd love to only have to plan for one cooldown, instead of guessing when I can change pets and then back into Soulbeast to access a heal or defy pain before I'm actually dead. I pvp and wvw and these game modes to not forgive mistakes or hesitations of even 2 seconds at times let alone 15 seconds. I would gladly take the single 10 second cooldown of an elementalist<---- please this, my qualms would be resolved.

@Kilrik.6320 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@psizone.8437 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@psizone.8437 said:

@Loopgru.1026 said:

smokescale
Target get close

You mentioned and compared the play of Soulbeast to elementalist. I wish it were. The elementalist has a 10 second cd for attunement (8.5 traited), I'll take it for petswap/Soulbeast as a single cooldown. I'd love to only have to plan for one cooldown, instead of guessing when I can change pets and then back into Soulbeast to access a heal or defy pain before I'm actually dead. I pvp and wvw and these game modes to not forgive mistakes or hesitations of even 2 seconds at times let alone 15 seconds. I would gladly take the single 10 second cooldown of an elementalist<---- please this, my qualms would be resolved.

I main both ele( 8k hrs) and ranger ( 2k hrs) I would not swap ranger for ele any day of the week at any hour, you welcome to try ele if you think it's that great respect to ranger/druid/soulbeast

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@psizone.8437 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@psizone.8437 said:

@Loopgru.1026 said:

smokescale
Target get close

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@Kilrik.6320 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@psizone.8437 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@psizone.8437 said:

@Loopgru.1026 said:

smokescale
Target get close

I main both ele( 8k hrs) and ranger ( 2k hrs) I would not swap ranger for ele any day of the week at any hour, you welcome to try ele if you think it's that great respect to ranger/druid/soulbeast

You obviously do swap. You have more hours on ele then ranger, yet you prefer ranger? I prefer ranger also, but what I was referencing was your notion of rewards for camping one mode and the insinuation that you are intended to swap modes. With comparatives, I chose to look at how switching modes works for ele compared to Soulbeast and commented on that. We can also compare switching modes in necro and engi (kits). They have lower cooldowns also, because they are not gated behind 2 counters but only one.

@Kilrik.6320 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@psizone.8437 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@psizone.8437 said:

@Loopgru.1026 said:

smokescale
Target get close

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@Kilrik.6320 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@psizone.8437 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@psizone.8437 said:

@Loopgru.1026 said:

smokescale
Target get close

You obviously do swap. You have more hours on ele then ranger, yet you prefer ranger? I prefer ranger also, but what I was referencing was your notion of rewards for camping one mode and the insinuation that you are intended to swap modes. With comparatives, I chose to look at how switching modes works for ele compared to Soulbeast and commented on that. We can also compare switching modes in necro and engi (kits). They have lower cooldowns also, because they are not gated behind 2 counters but only one.

Maybe a reduction for the BM cd would do better, 5s instead than 10, the counterplay would still be there

P.S I can show you in game, how I use soulbeast , that would make it easier to see why I think this way

I was thinking something along this line as well. While I absolutely want pet swapping in beast mode if its too difficult from a technical standpoint I'd settle for a 5 sec max cool down. This is when I feel the cool down begins to be obnoxious while roaming and at 10 seconds I'm ready to tear my hair out. This actually contributes to me camping beast mode far more then I'd like.

The reason why I don't feel the weight of this CD is maybe because of my choice of pets:

1- I don't use stout pets when roaming only when zerging in wvw that's where they're useful, stout pets lack dmg when unmerged and when merged they lack useful f1-f22- I always use either smokescale or rock gazelle ( still untamed in wvw because I need stupid rabbit mount ) as DPS and the reason why is gap closer to land wordly impact and f1-f2 with above average dmg3- The 2 mentioned dps pets will have considerable dmg when unmerged, they keep up pressure on the target while I decide my next move withing those 10s4- Only support pet I use is jacaranda because of the combo attack they can do ( f2 immobilize x5 for 1s then they call lightning in the area for 6-7k dmg...for now lol before nerfs, use while you can) and because of their great f2-f3 combo to fight condi specs5- the jacaranda immobilise/call lightning is great to fight scourge with a soulbeast that lacks ancient seed trait from druid6- If not jacaranda I use bristleback or Iboga ( untamed in pve/wvw ) while not considerable their f3 condi aoe is good enough even with a power spec and unmerged they do the greatest dps from range of any pet ( Iboga consume conditions bite is nasty lol)7- Good sustain comes from adept 2 and master 2, used to keep up a great deal of boons on you

P.S : best stout pets are : ice drake because of aoe f2 and sustain f1 during zerg fight for lootbag and blue moa for f1 heal and aoe protection unmerged

Archived