Is gw2 really a great community?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Nunya.4920 said:

@Trise.2865 said:Well necromanced, @Nunya.4920 .

The first mistake is assuming the forums represent the community.

So, the people who communicate here aren't the gw2 community ? That's odd. Old thread ? Yeah, but people wondering if a game has 'friendly' players, always makes me want to caution them. I have been friendly to complete strangers here, but my point still stands; People in any game, as in life, are usually only friendly, when it gets them something they want. I'm not just talking about material possessions either. If they themselves can be friendly, maybe others can, and will be friendly also ? If people can't or wont be friendly ? Well, that's why I posted here, and the reason the saying, 'Walk softly, but carry a big stick', is famous where I come from. Nunya.

"Part of", yes. "Representative of", no. Forums are the vocal minority, the angry, the slighted, the frustrated, the wanting... and the occasional creative voice and lore discussion.

Roosevelt's quote is "
speak
softly, and carry a big stick", which is what the real majority, the
real
community is doing. These are the millions of players who are contented, accepting, grateful, kind, and very friendly... compared to the few dozen, maybe a few hundred, coming here to complain.

Many people born in the USA know the original quote was 'Teddy Bear' saying, 'speak softly'. That saying has the variation of 'walk softly', 'where I come from'. As I said already. I wasn't asking for a history lesson, but rather trying to speak to those people here who may be like myself. Also, if people who post here are the 'vocal minority' of gw2, then they are still from the gw2 community. Those people are who I was speaking to. Trolling me here simply firms up my point.

You came after me, friend. I said you did a good job, and marked the point where a new discussion began in a more obvious way. See, people don't read time stamps, and often find themselves arguing with statements people made years ago... people who, philosophically, no longer exist.

The irony here is, that and our subsequent exchange also perfectly demonstrate the same points.

Pretty sure whether it is or isn't a great MMO community, the forums is one of the worst places to find out. Because most players don't go to the forums. Seems to me there's a level of toxicity here and on reddit that only exists in a tiny percentage of the game. Those most vested and competitive people are the most likely to post, but they're not alone in the community.

So whatever is said here, proves very little in my opinion.

On the other hand I've played a lot of MMOs, and the amount of ridicule people have in them for asking questions in map chat, or the amount of times they get ignored seemed to be far higher in those games than this one.

Yes the community is great. It has it's weak spots (usually when it comes to harder content or sometimes in pvp) as any other community, but overall it is really good, there is absolutely no question about it. I used to play Overwatch for a really long time and the main reason I went back to play Guild Wars 2 was simply because it is such a great and chill place thanks to the people playing it.