Lack of epic characters in story

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Dami.5046" said:I certainly remember Rurik or even Gwen in pre more than I remember any NPC I met when I first started playing. All I remember is being shouted at, it was raining and I had to go into a bar. Pretty shady if you ask me.

what I remembered from that one is epic intro cutscene dropping me into village overrun by big evil centaurs.....

and this:

so I suppose it varies greatly between people ;)

There's something to be said about the lack of... I don't know the word... marketability of Guild Wars 2's characters compared to a franchise like WoW's.

Like WoW has several characters that are very marketable and viral, and their presence just generates hype. Arthas, Illidan, Sylvanas, Kael'thas, Gul'dan, Malfurion, Uther. There is this epic larger than life aspect to them you look at them and they just feel instantly recognizable. And Guild Wars 2 just never really had characters with that kind of presence before. Rytloc was kind of trying to be like that but was never quite there. Palawa Joko might actually have been the first with the potential to be like that though we had limited direct experience with him. WoW went from being in extremely poor health during Warlords of Draenor (While we don't have stats, 3rd party server monitors estimated that WoW had fallen to sub 1 million active players during Draenor) to being 3 million+ again during Legion mostly just because it brought Illidan back and let you play as his class. Nothing in GW2 could ever generate that kind of hype.

@Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

@"Dami.5046" said:I certainly remember Rurik or even Gwen in pre more than I remember any NPC I met when I first started playing. All I remember is being shouted at, it was raining and I had to go into a bar. Pretty shady if you ask me.

what I remembered from that one is epic intro cutscene dropping me into village overrun by big evil centaurs.....

and this:

so I suppose it varies greatly between people ;)

In my defense I struggled greatly with 'motion sickness' with this game to start , coupled with going from a game I could play in my sleep to one I had no idea on how to play, and those NPC's I remember if i were to be honest were how annoying I found them, Pre Gwen bless her and that music.I found nothing epic having a headache and wanting to be sick at the time, but I could understand why people would think it to be so.

Yes I agree that Jojo for example shouldn't be soloed by the commander but rather be the final boss of at the end of a raid wing. To be fair why would a guy who can summon armies of awakened build massive constructs and powerful henchmen like the one in domain of Istan be a soloavle boss figure. Like in what world can you just go and kill something like that without at least an army there to help you do it!?

Tyria depends too much on the commander to take care of the biggest issue at hand and it's worthwhile to consider the fact that the commander isn't invincible. Like why does the commander have to be the chosen everything to do everything important? If the commander in theory has the same abilities as an npc why can't the npc just be seen as an equal influence?

Archived