The Amulet system - my two cents

Shroud.2307

@Whiteout.1975 said:

@Whiteout.1975 said:I really appreciate you taking the time to type this up @"SpellOfIniquity.1780". Though, I would first like to talk from the perspective of someone who would play 7 of the 9 professions. My main being a Mesmer... so my primary focus tends to lie there.After each balance patch I would decide if whether or not I wish to change my builds to whatever degree I see fit. In regards to the outcome of said balance patch. And the patch after that... And the patch after that... etc. For years. Which turns out to be a giant pain in the kitten to have to try to keep up with.

I absolutely love to make and test builds. Though, the more I wish to fully explore my options...
The higher the cost
. The last build I made for my Mesmer (A mix of Berserker, Valk and Maruader's stats with Scholar Runes) ended up costing me... I believe it was upwards of 125-150g. Somewhere in there, at the time. And that was
with
Ascended already existing from a previous build that I could just transmute the new stats into. But... That's just 1 build. Try keeping up with 7 while having a life... And tell me it's also not a pain in the kitten. Also... here's the other thing too. That's assuming I just want to make 1 build per 7 of 9. Usually a Profession, about ever since I can remember really, has more than 1 viable build. So if I want to switch up my playing style (for example Pwr vs Condi)... Again, the higher the cost.

So basically I'm literally having to pay this ridiculous cost in the end per balance patch. The farther down the rabbit hole I decide/am able to go. Just to be able to experience and explore viable ways of playing per profession... And when I put it like that. I find that to be a giant waste of life. So eventually I said screw it after 6 years. And do what I can. Without going out of my way anywhere nearly as much as I used to. Which now just consist of 2 professions... (Mesmer) the other being a Necro/Scourge... because Scourge.Having a reasonable cost is fine and
some
grind... But honestly just let me enjoy the game, considering that. Without having to bend over backwards for it. Just so I can play/enjoy other ways.

That is a Pro I believe to the Amulet System. People don't really have to bend over backwards to be able to experiment and ultimately play in various different ways.

Now the Pro to WvW as many WvWer's tend to see it. Is there is more build variety. As I've seen it voiced many times in the past and not so far past. And would have to agree with overall. Though, because there is more variety (because various stat combinations/food etc.) is exactly why there should be more
freedom to explore
that very talked about variety IMO. For those who at least would like to explore it. With very few strings attached.

Now, I'm not gonna get into Ascended/Legendary's here unless I feel somewhat obligated to. Having said that... I think the Amulet System (besides what I wrote about it) is gonna be more of a matter of "
Put your money where your mouth is
" and let's see just how many dollars each side is left with. Therefore, I would certainly be down to test if it given the option. So we could actually weigh the Pro's and Con's relating to a WvW environment. As as opposed to a just PvP one. That is in reality and not just in our heads. And then from there preferably take the Pro's and create a System that instead favor's WvW regarding them. However, I'm sure the ending of this is just wishful thinking, as usual.

Edit: Had to fix a few typo's... sorry.

1 u don't need ascended, exotics are fine. Imo exotics should be scaled to ascended stats in wvw2 leg armor buddy, leg armor

... So exotics are "fine", but you want it scaled to ascended stats. Even though it is "fine"? Okay.

In roaming skill takes much more than 5 %of stats. I had a duel that I won in ascended on 1 hp, and yea, most likely I would lose it in exo, but in longer run it doesn't matter that much. Yea they could be scaled becouse it would be more fair, but as I said, exotics are not a tragedy and u can easily run in it.

So... Offer amulets that are scaled to exotic level for people who want them.

And give people the option to use what we have now.

Eliminates the ‘entry issue’ (which is a non issue because of WvW exotic armor availability) and let’s people keep their ascended / custom gear and can still min max.

It would also allow anyone to experiment with different builds without cost until they wish to purchase or change.

@"Optimator.3589" said:I wouldn't get too worried about the amulet system coming to WvW. That would be the final nail in the coffin of WvW for many of us, and I think Anet is well aware of that. Unless of course, they actually do want to kill the mode entirely. /shrug

That's not to say they won't introduce something else that's nearly as horrible.

Agree. WvW is endgame, if you were to simplify it down to the PvP system then yes, I think you would bleed all the more people from the game. Quirky make it yourself builds can thrive in this game mode, why would you want to remove people's options on how they want their setup to be. Not to mention some people's build might specialize in particular features of the game mode, example a pure scout might have a build that is in no means in any shape to fight but they can't be caught and can keep a running tally on where an opposing force is. Again, leave it as is and people can choose whatever build they can build, for those that want cookie cutter, there is Metabattle out there to help define "meta" and what they should run if they don't want to make up their own build.

The amulet system would be more balanced for obvious reasons. Less variety is always easier to balance.

But this system would not be the holy grail.

Two examples:

• ANet is very conservative with upgrades in PvP. Sigils and runes are a lot weaker in PvP. This would help balancing specs like Mirage and D/D Condi Daredevil - both do heavily abuse endurance granting upgrades.
  • On the other hand amulets would not help balancing Warriors and Revenants which are broken in WvW too. These two examples achieve their OPness via trait- and skillsplitting (Endure Pain, Surge of the Mists...).

@Dawdler.8521 said:Comparing current sPvP balance to WvW is a failure to begin with - it heavily revolves around being able to stand on a tiny capping circle. That type of combat does not exist in WvW. We have no way of knowing how WvW would play between classes if you just plain brought over the amulet system and sPvP balance.

That said, the amulet system is IMO way to rigid to consider. Would have been more interesting with weapons + armor + trinket though, in order to combo stats.

I think you have a point here and agree that we shouldn't port over the amulet system, however I don't entirely agree with sPvP balance should be kept so separate from wvw. sPvP and WvW have different metas. A nerf or buff to a skill in pvp does not affect wvw 9 times out of 10, and vice versa. However, there is SOME overlap between the two game modes and that's usually in the form of smaller-scale fights, 1v1s, roaming encounters. These encounters are important and need balancing too.

The amulet system is the probably of the biggest thing that is holding PvP back (not the only thing of course). I have been posting forever on here saying they should make its a 3 part thing where you choose stats for Weapons, armor and trinkets. Would open up a lot of builds

Also if they put the amulet system in WvW i would uninstall withing 30 sec. I dont care about the i had to grind for this or that. Thats not my reason. My reason is that the amulet system is way too restrictive and boring.

@XECOR.2814 said:What if you could opt any amulet from system or have an option to use your own gear. Mind=Blown.

There are a lot of advantage of amulet system and the only disadvantage which is lack of freedom of buildcraft has fairly easy solution.

Said that above:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:So... Offer amulets that are scaled to exotic level for people who want them.

And give people the option to use what we have now.

Eliminates the ‘entry issue’ (which is a non issue because of WvW exotic armor availability) and let’s people keep their ascended / custom gear and can still min max.

It would also allow anyone to experiment with different builds without cost until they wish to purchase or change.

Archived