4th utility slot?

wefal.8426

Shouldn't we get 4th utility by now? With all the specs and new skills we should have at least 1 more utility slot.I hate being restricted with what skills to use but I understand it in MMO. I know adding 4th utility slot might be a balance nightmare, but so does adding 18 specialization so its not really a nightmare balance and we are still stuck with a mere 3 utility slots?

Am I safe to assume you want a fourth for more build diversity? I know i regularly change my utility skills between combat, and love only having 3. It allows me to think more strategically about what ill need because i can't fill every niche.

I feel that it would just cause power creep, which is totally different from balance issues.

@wefal.8426 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Nah just more skills would be nice though

But we got more skills in form of specs.I would rather have 1 extra utility slot before they add even more skills while we still have only 3 utility slots.

But you have to consider how much power this game's build system gains from Synergies over overt stacking. I can tell you already that Mesmer, Thief, Guardian and Engineer would be borderline unstoppable with access to 4 utility skills. Not only are those 4 classes power loaded pretty strongly in their utility skills, their builds tend to involve them more then other classes. For comparison, Necro is loaded heavily on its Profession mechanics. Ele, Warrior, and Ranger builds are most heavily defined by their weapon choices. Rev is weird in that its screwed no matter what it does.

Its like when they nerfed Endurance regen across the board, some classes were hit much harder then others due to how Dodging factors into the defense schemes. I also throw in an Honorable mention for Warrior getting 4 Utility skills being OP, since they have access to potent Damage Immunity and Hard CCs on utility skills.

The whole system is ridiculously restriced and they still have problems to balance the whole thing. One just wonders who other company magically can do it... That said: yes, let me choose more skills and for Spaghettimonster's sake: let me see cooldown of the off-screen skills like other weapon slot or kits. And give me additional sidebars to use them for food, mounts etc...

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:The whole system is ridiculously restriced and they still have problems to balance the whole thing. One just wonders who other company magically can do it... That said: yes, let me choose more skills and for Spaghettimonster's sake: let me see cooldown of the off-screen skills like other weapon slot or kits. And give me additional sidebars to use them for food, mounts etc...

Apparently Anet doesn't like cluttered UI, and try to keep simple as much as possible. Although I would prefer more options to have in UI like you mentioned.

@kharmin.7683 said:Why stop at four? Why not six, eight or even ten?

Assuming you are not being sarcastic, Adding so many slots will break the game completely.Anet gave us new skills but we are still stuck with mere 3 utilities.

@wefal.8426 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:Why stop at four? Why not six, eight or even ten?

Assuming you are not being sarcastic, Adding so many slots will break the game completely.Anet gave us new skills but we are still stuck with mere 3 utilities.No, just taking the suggestion farther. "Mere" 3 utilities? Balance is bad enough; you want to trust ANet to balance with yet another utility?

@wefal.8426 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:Why stop at four? Why not six, eight or even ten?

Assuming you are not being sarcastic, Adding so many slots will break the game completely.Anet gave us new skills but we are still stuck with mere 3 utilities.So....3 slots is way too low, 6 would "break the game completely", and 4 is "just right"?

How did you arrive at these numbers? I assume there's some intricate science behind it?

@kharmin.7683 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Why stop at four? Why not six, eight or even ten?

Assuming you are not being sarcastic, Adding so many slots will break the game completely.Anet gave us new skills but we are still stuck with mere 3 utilities.No, just taking the suggestion farther. "Mere" 3 utilities? Balance is bad enough; you want to trust ANet to balance with yet another utility?

Kharmin gets it. You want more because more is more is better because it's more. So why stop at four? Limits and boundaries make a game the game it is. Sure we could play soccer with teams of 40 persons, 8 goals and 20 balls and an interactive playing fields with traps and obstacles, but it wouldn't be soccer anymore at that point. Suggesting big changes like these always end up in the slippery slope Kharmin showed up. What if we got four, wouldn't it be better if we had five slots for our utilities, but then again six would be even better right...you hopefully see where this is going.