Upcoming Ranger Changes - Extremely Sad

shadowpass.4236

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Yeah it's sad that at 2000 range and with skills like rapid fire and the soulbeast modifiers that they didn't nerf all the lb's dps across all its skill as it should be :) lb given its range and the safety it puts ranger in hits way to hard. Theres some great rangers out there that can fight great but the way ranger is now due to it's crazy ranged dps it promotes sitting back and just pew pew pew pew pew pew pew lol resulting in players being carried which is unhealthy for the game. Like alot of things are in this game lol.

It's not longbow that's the issue.

The issue is the stacking of % damage modifiers. If they reworked modifiers for Sic Em to like just a straight power increase, it would be a lot more balanced. Similar to a thief's

To a degree but even without modifiers it's too rewarding for a ranger to sit outa combat and pew pew with autos spam and rapid fires right now as even without the dps modifier's lb does too much dps for its type of weapon. DE does as well tho ranger destroyed DE when melee's concerned lol. I love their version of ranger in this game especially slb but the ranged pressure is just too much. Druid though needs love bad, such a waste of what coulda been :(

Longbow is very bad in melee range. If you close the distance on the ranger, he's basically using a single weaponset for the majority of the fight.

Lb is too good at range is what I mean and it's good that it's bad in melee. Ranger has great melee options as well for second weapon set so having lb dps nerf for the range it has and a great melee option as well well puts ranger in a healthier spot.

So there's risk/reward when playing longbow. If you remove the reward, there's no reason to use the weapon.

Ur right but I'm just saying the reward is too much as it stands regarding its dps and range. A ranger can sit back and pew pew out of the reach of any other class and reap multiple downs with little risk, I kno cuz I've done it and yeah it feels cheesy but effective. Instead of being able to delete a hp bar fully from range maybe if lb soften targets a bit to give ranger a slight edge in melee as well as being on a dps level that would require an opponent to be in a 2v1 situation where the ranger is ranging them with a bit of dps on top of their aly's dps etc to get the kill. Right now it's very easy to just kill newer players from 1500+ range for new rangers and vets and if the rangers seasoned it's also possible for them to down other seasoned players from a range that's not accessible by the opponent unless they to are a ranger which is never healthy in pvp. Keep in mind I'm talking strictly pvp here. Lb for its range should more or less cause small bits of dps to a opponents hp bar not literally strip half or 3/4 of it in one rapid fire or half of it in 4 or 5 autos lol.

There are counters to projectiles. Not to mention that the issues are with the damage modifiers rather than the longbow itself.

You can nerf longbow damage to 1 but if we have enough modifiers to bump up the damage to an insane amount, the gimmick build will still be a "problem" while every other build that uses that weapon becomes useless.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Yeah it's sad that at 2000 range and with skills like rapid fire and the soulbeast modifiers that they didn't nerf all the lb's dps across all its skill as it should be :) lb given its range and the safety it puts ranger in hits way to hard. Theres some great rangers out there that can fight great but the way ranger is now due to it's crazy ranged dps it promotes sitting back and just pew pew pew pew pew pew pew lol resulting in players being carried which is unhealthy for the game. Like alot of things are in this game lol.

The issue is the stacking of % damage modifiers. If they reworked modifiers for Sic Em to like just a straight power increase, it would be a lot more balanced. Similar to a thief's

To a degree but even without modifiers it's too rewarding for a ranger to sit outa combat and pew pew with autos spam and rapid fires right now as even without the dps modifier's lb does too much dps for its type of weapon. DE does as well tho ranger destroyed DE when melee's concerned lol. I love their version of ranger in this game especially slb but the ranged pressure is just too much. Druid though needs love bad, such a waste of what coulda been :(

Longbow is very bad in melee range. If you close the distance on the ranger, he's basically using a single weaponset for the majority of the fight.

Lb is too good at range is what I mean and it's good that it's bad in melee. Ranger has great melee options as well for second weapon set so having lb dps nerf for the range it has and a great melee option as well well puts ranger in a healthier spot.

So there's risk/reward when playing longbow. If you remove the reward, there's no reason to use the weapon.

Ur right but I'm just saying the reward is too much as it stands regarding its dps and range. A ranger can sit back and pew pew out of the reach of any other class and reap multiple downs with little risk, I kno cuz I've done it and yeah it feels cheesy but effective. Instead of being able to delete a hp bar fully from range maybe if lb soften targets a bit to give ranger a slight edge in melee as well as being on a dps level that would require an opponent to be in a 2v1 situation where the ranger is ranging them with a bit of dps on top of their aly's dps etc to get the kill. Right now it's very easy to just kill newer players from 1500+ range for new rangers and vets and if the rangers seasoned it's also possible for them to down other seasoned players from a range that's not accessible by the opponent unless they to are a ranger which is never healthy in pvp. Keep in mind I'm talking strictly pvp here. Lb for its range should more or less cause small bits of dps to a opponents hp bar not literally strip half or 3/4 of it in one rapid fire or half of it in 4 or 5 autos lol.

Your suggestion would require the heavy nerfing of all block/reflect skills in the game , if you want ranger lb to do seemingly no threatening dmg...there is zero sense to keep the current levels of reflect/block. Other professions bring all this reflect/block to negate ranged dmg and if that ranged dmg become easy to deal with....you can't have the same levels of ranged defense, otherwise you'd kill the weapon.

@apharma.3741 said:

@apharma.3741 said:Power stab is a 1s evade and has no cool down.I can't believe people are defending this :joy:

No cooldown? It's not like Power Stab
is
the greatsword auto and I can just spam it nonstop.

There are two attacks that come first that can be interrupted or kited.

Imagine defending a 20k instant oneshot from stealth but thinking a 1s evade with a buildup is too strong. :joy:

Power Stab is a 1s evade. FACT.Power Stab has no cool down. FACT.

Nothing I said was incorrect, imagine discussing semantics when I stated FACTS. :joy:

Proof:

Here, let me help you understand why you still don't make any sense.
  • When you're talking about abilities that have cooldowns, it's fine to mention what they do and how long it takes for them to recharge.
  • When you're talking about an auto attack chain, it makes no sense to say that the third part of the chain has no cooldown, thus making it sound like it can be spammed nonstop.

That's like saying
deals 8k damage and strips 3 boons to 3 people with no cooldown.

I don't think you understand yourself, these are factual statements, do you disagree the you have a 1s evade with no cool down?

Did I say they weren't factual statements?

Read my post again. If you still don't get it, read it a third time. Repeat as needed.

@gdubze.6015 said:this guy still trying to defend abusing skill chains ? suck it up buttercup. every class will have its day im sure of that

They didn't even remove the ability to cancel and recast (which would be equally as stupid).

They just butchered a skill that's been in the game since release and didn't address similarly functioning skills.

But yes, let's wait a few more years for Mirage and Holosmith to get proper nerfs! /s

@Arheundel.6451 said:

Your suggestion would require the
heavy nerfing
of all block/reflect skills in the game , if you want ranger lb to do seemingly no threatening dmg...there is zero sense to keep the current levels of reflect/block. Other professions bring all this reflect/block to negate ranged dmg and if that ranged dmg become easy to deal with....you can't have the same levels of ranged defense, otherwise you'd kill the weapon.

Yeah blocking and reflect access is part of the powercreep I'm just stating if ur free with little risk to sit at 1500+ range especially being out of the range of all other classes doing dps to them it should be far less than it is as of now. Using a few autos and a rapid fire to delete 50% or more of a person's hp pool from that range regardless of defences is silly. U are right though the blocks and reflects need toned down but that would be completely fine if being kitted from way out of ur range by a ranger didn't threaten ur whole hp pool in the span of seconds and instead was a threat of small hits weakening u so to speak before the ranger got close to do real dps all while putting itself in the dangers of melee range.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@apharma.3741 said:Power stab is a 1s evade and has no cool down.I can't believe people are defending this :joy:

is

Imagine defending a 20k instant oneshot from stealth but thinking a 1s evade with a buildup is too strong. :joy:

Nothing I said was incorrect, imagine discussing semantics when I stated FACTS. :joy:

Proof:

• When you're talking about abilities that have cooldowns, it's fine to mention what they do and how long it takes for them to recharge.
  • When you're talking about an auto attack chain, it makes no sense to say that the third part of the chain has no cooldown, thus making it sound like it can be spammed nonstop.

That's like saying

I don't think you understand yourself, these are factual statements, do you disagree the you have a 1s evade with no cool down?

Read my
again. If you still don't get it, read it a third time. Repeat as needed.

I still can't believe people are trying to defend 1s evade with no cool down :joy:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

heavy nerfing
of all block/reflect skills in the game , if you want ranger lb to do seemingly no threatening dmg...there is zero sense to keep the current levels of reflect/block. Other professions bring all this reflect/block to negate ranged dmg and if that ranged dmg become easy to deal with....you can't have the same levels of ranged defense, otherwise you'd kill the weapon.

Yeah blocking and reflect access is part of the powercreep I'm just stating if ur free with little risk to sit at 1500+ range especially being out of the range of all other classes doing dps to them it should be far less than it is as of now. Using a few autos and a rapid fire to delete 50% or more of a person's hp pool from that range regardless of defences is silly. U are right though the blocks and reflects need toned down but that would be completely fine if being kitted from way out of ur range by a ranger didn't threaten ur whole hp pool in the span of seconds and instead was a threat of small hits weakening u so to speak before the ranger got close to do real dps all while putting itself in the dangers of melee range.

It's only "little risk" if the people I'm shooting at decide not to do anything about it. A single reflect skill renders my longbow damage entirely useless for several seconds.

If you want to petition Anet to completely neuter ranged damage across the board and have every class focus solely on melee damage, go make another thread about it and see if people share your opinion.

@Arheundel.6451 said:

heavy nerfing

I said quite along time ago that people don't fully realise just how much power creep has warped the game. You're starting to see it but it's absolutely insane how much it swings.

@apharma.3741 said:

is

Proof:

That's like saying

Read my

I still can't believe people are trying to defend 1s evade with no cool down :joy:

Read my post again. If you still don't get it, read it a third time. Repeat as needed.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

is

Proof:

That's like saying

Read my

Read my

I read it and you're trying to bring semantics into it as a way to divert from the facts. They are:

Do you actually get what I'm saying?

@apharma.3741 said:

is

Proof:

That's like saying

Read my

Read my

I read it and you're trying to bring semantics into it as a way to divert from the facts. They are:

Do you actually get what I'm saying?

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

heavy nerfing

Then we would all play warrior...like you do, ranger got the bow because he hasn't got stuff like Full counter or rampage or Magebane, if you want all professions to act like warriors, then all professions should get the same perks at melee range..suggesting that a ranger can sit there throwing blows with a warrior at melee range..yeah sure

The main reason why I started playing ranger years ago was because all of sudden my ele got completely useless at melee range ( or any range ) with the introduction of HoT , the immense powercreep that professions like warriors and necro have received means be at the receiving end of massive aoe dmg spikes at melee range while having 1/4 of their sustain.

With ranged dmg neutered ..the best decision would be to just jump on warrior because at that point nothing can stop me

If you want ranged dmg neutered...we must scale down warrior, reaper , herald dmg by a lot...by a huge amount, no more 7-8k crit aoes while having ridiculous amounts of sustain compared to an ele

@Arheundel.6451 said:

The main reason why I started playing ranger years ago was because all of sudden my ele got completely useless at melee range ( or any range ) with the introduction of HoT

Unrelated to the topic but FA weaver is a great ranged build and fire weaver is very strong in melee range. Watch Grimjack play if you want to see gameplay for both.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

The main reason why I started playing ranger years ago was because all of sudden
my ele got completely useless at melee range ( or any range )
with the introduction of HoT

Unrelated to the topic but FA weaver is a great ranged build and fire weaver is very strong in melee range. Watch Grimjack play if you want to see gameplay for both.

FA weaver is a +1 at best and fire weaver is a gimmick I am afraid will soon be nerfed...or neutered like everything on ele

@Arheundel.6451 said:

The main reason why I started playing ranger years ago was because all of sudden

FA weaver is a +1 at best and fire weaver is a gimmick I am afraid will soon be nerfed...or neutered like everything on ele

Yeah but FA is good at the role. Fire weaver isn't really a gimmick. I think you should watch Grimjack play. He's very good at both of them and carries on stream.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

Yeah but FA is good at the role. Fire weaver isn't really a gimmick. I think you should watch Grimjack play. He's very good at both of them and carries on stream.

Let's just say that I don't find ele more fun to play than a ranger, I enjoyed playing druid during the necro era when cele ele got butchered (diamond skin nerf) , I don't wish to see that happening again

@shadowpass.4236 said:

FA is not good at it's roll anymore. At least not better than Sic'em, rev, core guard, thief, power mesmer and even Holo is at the same roll.

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

FA is not good at it's roll anymore. At least not better than Sic'em, rev, core guard, thief, power mesmer and even Holo is at the same roll.

It might not be the best but the burst is very quick and can one shot people similarly to mantra mesmer. It works fine in ranked. Grimjack plays the build often and he's top 10 right now.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

It might not be the best but the burst is very quick and can one shot people similarly to mantra mesmer. It works fine in ranked. Grimjack plays the build often and he's top 10 right now.

Yes and I played core staff zerk Ele to top 25. Ranked means nothing. The moment you see it being used effectively in high tier matches with prizes on the line. Or consistently among top players, you can judge it.One good player farming people in a dead season doesn't say anything.

Yes and I played core staff zerk Ele to top 25. Ranked means nothing. The moment you see it being used effectively in high tier matches with prizes on the line. Or consistently among top players, you can judge it.One good player farming people in a dead season doesn't say anything.

Yeah that's why Druid was consistently nerfed right? It was dominating in high tier matches?

What about rangers' greatsword and sword in the coming balance patch? It was being used effectively in higher tier matches?

There are several indicators for a build's effectiveness. Ranked is one of them. A build's viability in competitive play is another matter entirely. Look at tools holo as an example.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

Yeah that's why Druid was consistently nerfed right? It was dominating in high tier matches?

What about rangers' greatsword and sword in the coming balance patch? I was being used effectively in higher tier matches?

There are several indicators for a build's effectiveness. Ranked is one of them. A build's viability in competitive play is another matter entirely. Look at tools holo as an example.

Guard sword 2 initial strike is being nerfed by 40% damage. Was DH or core guard overperforming?

Random changes are always going to happen.You know this.I know this.Everyone knows this.

Core guard was never meta, it was however decent at one point. It has seen nerfs in every major balance patch in the last year.

Core ranger is currently very dominant on the side nodes on eu. But I would say it's more sure to the fact of gazelle hitting people for 10k+ than GS.That being said, I would've liked it if they kept the evade. Just don't make it repeatable, if you cancel the attack it should flip over.

What about rangers' greatsword and sword in the coming balance patch? I was being used effectively in higher tier matches?

Guard sword 2 initial strike is being nerfed by 40% damage. Was DH or core guard overperforming?

Random changes are always going to happen.You know this.I know this.Everyone knows this.

Core guard was never meta, it was however decent at one point. It has seen nerfs in
every major balance patch in the last year

Core ranger is currently very dominant on the side nodes on eu. But I would say it's more sure to the fact of gazelle hitting people for 10k+ than GS.That being said, I would've liked it if they kept the evade. Just don't make it repeatable, if you cancel the attack it should flip over.

Yeah but that's what I'm saying. It's stupid for Anet to "randomly" nerf things that should be left alone. I haven't posted about this on the forums but I've talked to a few of my friends who main guardian about how I'd like to see core guard and dh get buffed.

Also I played a bunch of games on EU today on mantra mesmer. I will upload them to the forums later (tonight?) once they finish loading to youtube.