[Answered] Only 24 Builds account wide?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:Huh? I was not saying anything about traits or how many you can have? I was saying why the equipment template was a useful feature.Perilisk was likely responding to the post above yours, just quoted yours by mistake.

No, I'm just saying the OP was talking specifically about the limit applied to account build storage. Maybe I didn't notice that the conversation had shifted to something more general.

@"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:So, I just want to clarify: Account wide there will be 3 build template slots to start with for free and 3 equipment slots as well, with the rest to be paid for in the store? So if you have more than 1 character with more than one build this whole thing is kind of pointless? Or did I miss something?

As I understand it:

Each character gets 3, plus up to 3 more paid (likely per character like bags), quick-swappable build tabs for utilities and traits. So far as I understand it, they are common across PvE, PvP, and WvW, so if you use separate builds for those, you're already at max.

Each character gets 2, plus up to 4 more paid (almost certainly per character), quick-swappable gear tabs. Imagine the set of equipment slots you have now. Now add a second one you can swap to with the push of a button. Basically that, but the same item can be shared between them (with different stats/upgrades in each tab, if it's legendary)

Each account gets 3, plus up to 21 more (purchased in packs of 3), paid slots for "build storage", which is common to all characters and also only covers utilities and traits. One pack of three will be discounted by 100% at launch as a limited time offer. They are functionally equivalent to a notepad file on your computer. Buying them is the same as donating money to Arenanet for charitable purposes.

@Astralporing.1957 said:Still not enough to satisfy the needs, unless you either don;t run many chars, or don't change builds too much (or both). Basically, if you do have need of this feature, it won't be enough for you. It will only be okay, if you really didn't need it.

BUT.. that is the whole point .. there is and should be a trade off based around convenience and necessity..ANET are giving something freely that is useful to many to a point. If you are a player that needs something beyond a certain threshold then yeah, you gotta pay for the convenience. That is no different to inventory or bank space. This could actually help with some of those other convenience issues.After the stream I don't feel as negative about it personally, but will I be one to need more convenience beyond what is being offered for free.. probably not, but I would never of expected to have it all given to me.

The question I guess that is still going to be potentially contentious is the costs... time will tell just how contentious they will be or maybe ANET will surprise us and take a view that it would be sensible to price is very reasonable in an effort to sway players to buying into it whether they really need it or not.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:Still not enough to satisfy the needs, unless you either don;t run many chars, or don't change builds too much (or both). Basically, if you do have need of this feature, it won't be enough for you. It will only be okay, if you really didn't need it.

BUT.. that is the whole point .. there is and should be a trade off based around convenience and necessity..ANET are giving something freely that is useful to many to a point. If you are a player that needs something beyond a certain threshold then yeah, you gotta pay for the convenience. That is no different to inventory or bank space. This could actually help with some of those other convenience issues.I don't think you understood me. Even if i wanted to pay (which i won't. From what they said on stream, the price is going to end up astronomically high, my lowball estimates are cuttently at 10x expac cost), i wouldn;t be able to because the system simply doesn't even have that option.Gear templates cap at 6. Personal build templates cap at 6. Account-wide template storage caps at 24. That's nowhere close to being enough. It's a car with speed capped at 20 mp/h. It may be an improvement to anyone that walked by foot, but as a car it's still a failure.

After the stream I don't feel as negative about it personally, but will I be one to need more convenience beyond what is being offered for free.. probably not, but I would never of expected to have it all given to me.

The question I guess that is still going to be potentially contentious is the costs... time will tell just how contentious they will be or maybe ANET will surprise us and take a view that it would be sensible to price is very reasonable in an effort to sway players to buying into it whether they really need it or not.They said on stream they think it should be worth as much as bag slots/bank slot unlocks. So, 400-800 gems per unlock. Which may be okay if you only need 2-3 of those, but not if you really do need multiple templates on all your classes. For me, the estimated cost i'd need to pay if i wanted to make use of this feature would be around
500 euro
. And those are lowball estimates (assuming only 400 gems per unlock)

@Astralporing.1957 said:

BUT.. that is the whole point .. there is and should be a trade off based around convenience and necessity..ANET are giving something freely that is useful to many to a point. If you are a player that needs something beyond a certain threshold then yeah, you gotta pay for the convenience. That is no different to inventory or bank space. This could actually help with some of those other convenience issues.I don't think you understood me. Even if i wanted to pay (which i won't. From what they said on stream, the price is going to end up astronomically high, my lowball estimates are cuttently at 10x expac cost), i wouldn;t be able to because the system simply doesn't even have that option.Gear templates cap at 6. Personal build templates cap at 6. Account-wide template storage caps at 24. That's nowhere close to being enough. It's a car with speed capped at 20 mp/h. It may be an improvement to anyone that walked by foot, but as a car it's still a failure.

After the stream I don't feel as negative about it personally, but will I be one to need more convenience beyond what is being offered for free.. probably not, but I would never of expected to have it all given to me.

The question I guess that is still going to be potentially contentious is the costs... time will tell just how contentious they will be or maybe ANET will surprise us and take a view that it would be sensible to price is very reasonable in an effort to sway players to buying into it whether they really need it or not.They said on stream they think it should be worth as much as bag slots/bank slot unlocks. So, 400-800 gems per unlock. Which may be okay if you only need 2-3 of those, but not if you really do need multiple templates on all your classes. For me, the estimated cost i'd need to pay if i wanted to make use of this feature would be around
500 euro
. And those are lowball estimates (assuming only 400 gems per unlock)

Again that is the point.. those that want that extra convenience will have to pay for it.. how much is still unknown, but yeah I would also think its going to be comparable to other convenience unlocks. Also didn't it say something like it would be packs of 3.. so if that costs 400-800 gems then maybe that's more appealing.. if not then its a personal choice isn't it. In yours an my case, that choice is abundantly clear and very easy to make.Bottom line this isn't going to be for everyone, but those who don't really care about the money will, as always jump in with both feet and they are the players ANET want out of this.

So, worst case scenario, if an extra template slot is around 400 gems, is way better to buy an extra character slot for 800 gems, get more templates and birthday gifts; after all you'll have to make a whole equipment set anyway (except if you have a full legendary set of course).I can deal with that, I already have multiple character with different builds on.

@perilisk.1874 said:

@"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:So, I just want to clarify: Account wide there will be 3 build template slots to start with for free and 3 equipment slots as well, with the rest to be paid for in the store? So if you have more than 1 character with more than one build this whole thing is kind of pointless? Or did I miss something?

As I understand it:

Each
character
gets 3, plus up to 3 more paid (likely per character like bags), quick-swappable build tabs for utilities and traits. So far as I understand it, they are common across PvE, PvP, and WvW, so if you use separate builds for those, you're already at max.

Each
character
gets 2, plus up to 4 more paid (almost certainly per character), quick-swappable gear tabs. Imagine the set of equipment slots you have now. Now add a second one you can swap to with the push of a button. Basically that, but the same item can be shared between them (with different stats/upgrades in each tab, if it's legendary)

Each
account
gets 3, plus up to 21 more (purchased in packs of 3), paid slots for "build storage", which is common to all characters and also only covers utilities and traits. One pack of three will be discounted by 100% at launch as a limited time offer. They are functionally equivalent to a notepad file on your computer. Buying them is the same as donating money to Arenanet for charitable purposes.

aaaaaah, okie. Thats actually completely fair IMO then. I mean, getting 6 right out the gates without needing to log in the first month would be better BUT, thats not too bad over all since you still have your WvW and PvP loadouts and then the other 3 to play with. I know for me i rarely have more than two gear loadouts I tend to use at any given time and paying a lil more for additional ones per toon isn't horrible. OK, that makes a lot more sense.

@"Maikimaik.1974" said:6 per char is just waaaay to few. Especialy if they're shared through all 3 game modes (so 2 per game mode basically, what the hell anet)

Realistically most people probably have a power and condi build on a toon, and maybe a support set up, but rarely all three and maybe two gear sets they are running with. This covers MOST players with a few outliers that go ham and think they need 4+ gear sets to swap between and 6 builds with one or two trait tweaks that make them "different" builds. For a large number of the player-base They will already have their WvW specific build, their PVP build and then 3 other slots they can play with for build variants on each character which for most will be more than enough right out the gates. The account wide build section is going to be the bigger bottleneck as people are constantly going to want copies of other people's builds and even then have 6 slots at the start to play with across your account is fine for MOST players. I'm an altaholic with three accounts and over 20 toons and even on my main account that has most of those characters the starting number of slots should be more than enough for me to play with build variety on those without needing to drop extra money.

I am usually one of the first people to lose it over silly things Anet has done in the past, but this right here is probably the most accurate "hitting the middle ground" between free added feature and monetization they have ever done. As long as the price point for additional slots isn't more than or the same as a new character slot, then this should be golden for them and is as players that want to see this game keep going in a good direction.

@PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

@"Maikimaik.1974" said:6 per char is just waaaay to few. Especialy if they're shared through all 3 game modes (so 2 per game mode basically, what the hell anet)

Realistically most people probably have a power and condi build on a toon, and maybe a support set up, but rarely all three and maybe two gear sets they are running with. This covers MOST players with a few outliers that go ham and think they need 4+ gear sets to swap between and 6 builds with one or two trait tweaks that make them "different" builds. For a large number of the player-base They will already have their WvW specific build, their PVP build and then 3 other slots they can play with for build variants on each character which for most will be more than enough right out the gates. The account wide build section is going to be the bigger bottleneck as people are constantly going to want copies of other people's builds and even then have 6 slots at the start to play with across your account is fine for MOST players. I'm an altaholic with three accounts and over 20 toons and even on my main account that has most of those characters the starting number of slots should be more than enough for me to play with build variety on those without needing to drop extra money.

I am usually one of the first people to lose it over silly things Anet has done in the past, but this right here is probably the most accurate "hitting the middle ground" between free added feature and monetization they have ever done. As long as the price point for additional slots isn't more than or the same as a new character slot, then this should be golden for them and is as players that want to see this game keep going in a good direction.

I don't think you understood what I was saying. Each character has a maximum of 6 template slots. 3 are free, 3 are buyable. You simply cannot have more than 6, which is, as I said, not even close to enough.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:I don't think you understood me. Even if i wanted to pay (which i won't. From what they said on stream, the price is going to end up astronomically high, my lowball estimates are cuttently at 10x expac cost),
i wouldn;t be able to because the system simply doesn't even have that option.
Gear templates cap at 6. Personal build templates cap at 6. Account-wide template storage caps at 24. That's nowhere close to being enough. It's a car with speed capped at 20 mp/h. It may be an improvement to anyone that walked by foot, but as a car it's still a failure.[...]They said on stream they think it should be worth as much as bag slots/bank slot unlocks. So, 400-800 gems per unlock. Which may be okay if you only need 2-3 of those, but not if you really do need multiple templates on all your classes. For me, the estimated cost i'd need to pay if i wanted to make use of this feature would be around
500 euro
. And those are lowball estimates (assuming only 400 gems per unlock)Again that is the point.. those that want that extra convenience will have to pay for it..

Did you even bother to read their whole response? You can't pay for something that isn't their, even if you had the money.

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:6 per char is just waaaay to few. Especialy if they're shared through all 3 game modes (so 2 per game mode basically, what the hell anet)

I don't think you understood what I was saying. Each character has a maximum of 6 template slots. 3 are free, 3 are buyable. You simply cannot have more than 6, which is, as I said, not even close to enough.

I understood completely and I posited that this was an incorrect assessment. Each character will have their standard build in WvW, and PvP, then the three free slots right out the gates. This means it can have their primary PvE build and then two others. Now, for MOST players they take the game semi seriously, they might have on any single character:

One Power based buildOne Condi based buildOne Support based build

Within those set ups they might situationally swap out a utility or a weapon, but in MOST cases only a utility will be swapped out.

Looking at an account where someone has 5 level 80 characters and probably plays 3 of them semi-regularly with one main they play most of the time, the starting free slots will more than suffice for them. Now, if they were a bit more serious about having hard a fast swap-able builds, 6 slots for those build variations is still more than enough to cover the most played/used meta builds on a given class (not including those very specific utility swaps that occur in niche situations that don't require their own build load out to be saved.) Same holds true if not truer for gear loadouts as you will find there tend to be less need for those to occur so often that you'd need more than 6 different templates just for gear swapping.

This brings us to the free 6 account wide build slots that for this person with 5 toons should be more than enough to act as "build over flow" for their most used characters. Obviously if you have a TON of alts and want to get and save builds from others to use later or just to have as additional build slots then yes, you will have to pay for those, however for MOST players in the game, they will have more than enough right out the gates for free that they can use to both get that extra st of armor out of their inventory along with the weapons they use on that armor set and will be fine with being able to quick swap to the traits and equipment when they want to switch things up.

@Maikimaik.1974 said:6 per char is just waaaay to few. Especialy if they're shared through all 3 game modes (so 2 per game mode basically, what the hell anet)

I understood completely and I posited that this was an incorrect assessment. Each character will have their standard build in WvW, and PvP, then the three free slots right out the gates. This means it can have their primary PvE build and then two others. Now, for MOST players they take the game semi seriously, they might have on any single character:

Within those set ups they might situationally swap out a utility or a weapon, but in MOST cases only a utility will be swapped out.

Looking at an account where someone has 5 level 80 characters and probably plays 3 of them semi-regularly with one main they play most of the time, the starting free slots will more than suffice for them. Now, if they were a bit more serious about having hard a fast swap-able builds, 6 slots for those build variations is still more than enough to cover the most played/used meta builds on a given class (not including those very specific utility swaps that occur in niche situations that don't require their own build load out to be saved.) Same holds true if not truer for gear loadouts as you will find there tend to be less need for those to occur so often that you'd need more than 6 different templates just for gear swapping.

This brings us to the free 6 account wide build slots that for this person with 5 toons should be more than enough to act as "build over flow" for their most used characters. Obviously if you have a TON of alts and want to get and save builds from others to use later or just to have as additional build slots then yes, you will have to pay for those, however for MOST players in the game, they will have more than enough right out the gates for free that they can use to both get that extra st of armor out of their inventory along with the weapons they use on that armor set and will be fine with being able to quick swap to the traits and equipment when they want to switch things up.

It's great that you and maybe most players don't need more than 6. But that's not a reason to hardcap them at 6. I need more than 6. Many people I play with need more than 6. 6 is a laughable amount.

@PookieDaWombat.6209 said:I understood completely and I posited that this was an incorrect assessment. Each character will have their standard build in WvW, and PvP, then the three free slots right out the gates. This means it can have their primary PvE build and then two others. Now, for MOST players they take the game semi seriously, they might have on any single character:

Looking at an account where someone has 5 level 80 characters and probably plays 3 of them semi-regularly with one main they play most of the time, the starting free slots will more than suffice for them.

Only if they don't play WvW as well. Those use different gear than their PvE equivalent (you don't run glass in WvW). That already bumps you up to 6 different gear sets.

Now, if they were a bit more serious about having hard a fast swap-able buildsThey can;t do anything more, because 6 gear sets are already filled, and they can't have any more.

This brings us to the free 6 account wide build slots thatdon't give you more gear sets available, because they are build slots.

So, you were saying?

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:I understood completely and I posited that this was an incorrect assessment. Each character will have their standard build in WvW, and PvP, then the three free slots right out the gates. This means it can have their primary PvE build and then two others. Now, for MOST players they take the game semi seriously, they might have on any single character:

Looking at an account where someone has 5 level 80 characters and probably plays 3 of them semi-regularly with one main they play most of the time, the starting free slots will more than suffice for them.

Only if they don't play WvW as well. Those use different gear than their PvE equivalent (you don't run glass in WvW). That already bumps you up to 6 different gear sets.

Now, if they were a bit more serious about having hard a fast swap-able buildsThey can;t do anything more, because 6 gear sets are already filled, and they can't have any more.

This brings us to the free 6 account wide build slots thatdon't give you more gear sets available, because they are
build
slots.

So, you were saying?

I play WvW. Have since the beginning. I've also played everything from glass to super tanky support so to say "you don't run glass in WvW" is just silly and ill-informed. Furthermore, my gear set on many of my more played toons is geared around playing in multiple game modes without a huge need to swap equipment in any major way unless i was doing a MAJOR shift (say from condi to power or to a completely different elite spec) and that does not happen as often as a very few number of players would like to try to convince those of us that have been here since day one hour one of this game's launch.

Six gear load-outs is literally more than enough for the vat majority of players in this game and this is the same thing i've been saying in this thread. You're trying to argue for a very niche group of players that think they need to have a template slot for every rune and sigil and weapon they might possibly run in a very specific scenario, and I'm saying (and have been saying) that such a thing is neither practical or realistic when looking at the overall playerbase of guild wars 2. Why is this a hard concept to grasp?

Per character having 6 EQ load out slots is more than enough for MOST players in the game. I'm talking everyone from the most casual of casuals to the most hardcore of midcore players and even some serious hardcore players that are realistic about not needing build templates for that one niche boss that requires some specific sigil to eek out that extra 1k dps, but nowhere else in the game. However instead of looking at this realistically, those few players are loosing their minds because they aren't getting 4564564 slots.

So lets take your example regarding the WvW build. Even if you build specifically to that mode, you mean to tell me the PvE variety of that build is so drastic that it requires its own set up? With vastly different weapons sigils and runes? Really? And you are trying to sell me on the fact that you'd honestly need way more than 6 eq slots to cover all the armor and weapons you need to slot for all those builds? There is no real overlap in any of them that they can be intelligently consolidated? Really? Do you honestly think that if this is the case for you that this is somehow the case for the vast majority of players in the game as it stands? Or could it be possible that you don't have a real vision into just who plays this game and how most of the players even play this game.

Ultimately there seems to be a disconnect from a lot of self proclaimed HARDCORE players that think the offering is way too little, and perhaps down the line they might expand those slot offerings to 10 per character, but honestly, this game doesn't have nearly the build diversity of its predecessor and too many of these numbers being thrown around are absurd and only serve to weaken your argument for more space, not help it.

@PookieDaWombat.6209 said:I understood completely and I posited that this was an incorrect assessment. Each character will have their standard build in WvW, and PvP, then the three free slots right out the gates. This means it can have their primary PvE build and then two others. Now, for MOST players they take the game semi seriously, they might have on any single character:

This brings us to the free 6 account wide build slots thatdon't give you more gear sets available, because they are
build
slots.

So, you were saying?

I play WvW. Have since the beginning. I've also played everything from glass to super tanky support so to say "you don't run glass in WvW" is just silly and ill-informed. Furthermore, my gear set on many of my more played toons is geared around playing in multiple game modes without a huge need to swap equipment in any major way unless i was doing a MAJOR shift (say from condi to power or to a completely different elite spec) and that does not happen as often as a very few number of players would like to try to convince those of us that have been here since day one hour one of this game's launch.

Six gear load-outs is literally more than enough for the vat majority of players in this game and this is the same thing i've been saying in this thread. You're trying to argue for a very niche group of players that think they need to have a template slot for every rune and sigil and weapon they might possibly run in a very specific scenario, and I'm saying (and have been saying) that such a thing is neither practical or realistic when looking at the overall playerbase of guild wars 2. Why is this a hard concept to grasp?

Per character having 6 EQ load out slots is more than enough for MOST players in the game. I'm talking everyone from the most casual of casuals to the most hardcore of midcore players and even some serious hardcore players that are realistic about not needing build templates for that one niche boss that requires some specific sigil to eek out that extra 1k dps, but nowhere else in the game. However instead of looking at this realistically, those few players are loosing their minds because they aren't getting 4564564 slots.

So lets take your example regarding the WvW build. Even if you build specifically to that mode, you mean to tell me the PvE variety of that build is so drastic that it requires its own set up? With vastly different weapons sigils and runes? Really? And you are trying to sell me on the fact that you'd honestly need way more than 6 eq slots to cover all the armor and weapons you need to slot for all those builds? There is no real overlap in any of them that they can be intelligently consolidated? Really? Do you honestly think that if this is the case for you that this is somehow the case for the vast majority of players in the game as it stands? Or could it be possible that you don't have a real vision into just who plays this game and how most of the players even play this game.

Ultimately there seems to be a disconnect from a lot of self proclaimed HARDCORE players that think the offering is way too little, and perhaps down the line they might expand those slot offerings to 10 per character, but honestly, this game doesn't have nearly the build diversity of its predecessor and too many of these numbers being thrown around are absurd and only serve to weaken your argument for more space, not help it.

There's still no reason to limit them to only 6.

They said you would have 3 that contained your pve, wvw and spvp builds at start not pvex3 wvw and spvp thats 5.

So are you fine with not having a build for wvw and spvp.Then sure do 3 pve builds.Better buy an extra gear equipment upgrade if your going power condi and support tho.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:I don't think you understood me. Even if i wanted to pay (which i won't. From what they said on stream, the price is going to end up astronomically high, my lowball estimates are cuttently at 10x expac cost),
i wouldn;t be able to because the system simply doesn't even have that option.
Gear templates cap at 6. Personal build templates cap at 6. Account-wide template storage caps at 24. That's nowhere close to being enough. It's a car with speed capped at 20 mp/h. It may be an improvement to anyone that walked by foot, but as a car it's still a failure.[...]They said on stream they think it should be worth as much as bag slots/bank slot unlocks. So, 400-800 gems per unlock. Which may be okay if you only need 2-3 of those, but not if you really do need multiple templates on all your classes. For me, the estimated cost i'd need to pay if i wanted to make use of this feature would be around
500 euro
. And those are lowball estimates (assuming only 400 gems per unlock)Again that is the point.. those that want that extra convenience will have to pay for it..

Did you even bother to read their whole response? You can't pay for something that isn't their, even if you had the money.

Yes I read it... you get a certain amount t for free.. if you want more even if that won't be enough for every build you have to pay for the convenience.You will of also freed invaluable inventory, it just means if you want more than is possible right now you might have to grin and bare it until perhaps more template availability becomes available in the future who knows.

@Maikimaik.1974 said:

build
slots.

So, you were saying?

There's still no reason to limit them to only 6.

No, the reason to limit it to 6 per character is because they are keeping all that info saved server side and have to account for that level of data retention and anyone who's worked in IT and supported large database servers understands this.