Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

Just wanted to add, I can make it happen every single time by just not pressing any button at all for 15-20 seconds while in an instance.  It happens in stories, it happens in Super Adventure Box, it happens in fractals, and probably any other instance.  This is why people are disconnecting during cutscenes, you can't interact with your character for an extended period of time during a cutscene, causing the disconnect.  I don't know if pressing keys during the cutscene prevents it, but something about not interacting with the game for x amount of time causes it.

It's not my internet connection, I've tested that thoroughly.  Nothing else is disrupted when this happens, only GW2.  Not to mention, as I said, I can make this happen whenever I want to.  This is the only game or software the issue happens with. 

As far as the actual issue, I have no idea.  My roommate has the same problem, so i'm guessing it's router or ISP related as that is really the only common denominator at this point other than GW2.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Cynikul.3580 said:

Just wanted to add, I can make it happen every single time by just not pressing any button at all for 15-20 seconds while in an instance.  It happens in stories, it happens in Super Adventure Box, it happens in fractals, and probably any other instance.  This is why people are disconnecting during cutscenes, you can't interact with your character for an extended period of time during a cutscene, causing the disconnect.  I don't know if pressing keys during the cutscene prevents it, but something about not interacting with the game for x amount of time causes it.

It's not my internet connection, I've tested that thoroughly.  Nothing else is disrupted when this happens, only GW2.  Not to mention, as I said, I can make this happen whenever I want to.  This is the only game or software the issue happens with. 

As far as the actual issue, I have no idea.  My roommate has the same problem, so i'm guessing it's router or ISP related as that is really the only common denominator at this point other than GW2.

Have you tried switching around streaming option setting?

• 4 months later...
On 8/3/2023 at 9:15 PM, BVits.4372 said:

This issue still exists. Happens to me multiple times in every long unskippable cutscene, forcing me to repeat the instance over and over until I get lucky.

Same here, its annoying especially now that I have limited time to play. I came back to this gaming in hopes for newest expansion but this just kills the desire to progress the story. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

It greatly infuriates me this still isn't fixed. I really want to play the new expansion but I know i'll only be able to play it on my existing characters because playing an alt and having to go through story missions disconnecting me constantly is beyond frustrating. It's not my ISP or my connection. i've gone back and forth with Arena net over the year providing them tracert logs during my game play and other things and nothing disconnects at all during that time except for arena net saying I am disconnected. It doesn't happen out-side story missions at all, I can play all day on my max level characters who already done the story and never once get disconnected but I play a mission like victory or death and i'll hav to play it 10 times to finally finish it without a "disconnect". It's completely unacceptable this still exists and no solution is implemented yet.. like how about an option to reconnect to the mission, or check points that let go back to the last check point in a mission. They clearly knew of this problem because expansion story missions this doesn't happen at all, it's only pre expansion story missions that has this issue with victory or death sometimes taking me multiple days. I was helping a family member through this game and playing with her in the story missions to try and help her over come this frustrating experience by hopefully speeding it up, but nearly every single story mission either I or her was disconnected. When I disconnected usually she could finish on her own and we move on but when she disconnected she can't rejoin and we have to restart and me being their only slightly helped increase the speed of some missions so i basically had to relieve this horrible process not only with multiple alts myself but with her and sharing in the agony and i've spent so many hours over the years troubleshooting with Arena net with no solution. I think end result is them always giving up on me and saying nothing else they can do and contact my ISP which is BS because again no other game i play has this issue and even GW2 out-side of stories or in later expansions has this issue, it can't be my ISP

this is #1 issue that holds this game back from being a truly amazing MMO. If they could fix this one thing, it would make this MMO go from being virtually unplayable for me if i want to level up a new Alt to an amazing game if they could just fix this. Again i think since they can't fix the disconnect issue in all these years they should spend time and re-design the original story missions breaking them up into smaller chunks and instances so you do smaller like 15 minute at a time or add a check point system or save your progress so you can reconnect. I am not only one with this issue countless other players have this issue and I think far more players who post on these forums or bother submitting tickets has this issue and they don't realize how many players they lose for this one very significant major problem. 

Sad thing is otherwise I absolutely love this game. I will play the new expansion. but I will not be able to tolerate leveling up a new class so i'm likely  only going to stick to the 3 or so i have that already been through past the victory or death mission.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/3/2022 at 12:44 AM, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

I played empty and completed it. Unfortunatly I got disconnected during the last cutscene.

Upon returning, I noticed I have to do the boss fight part again... 

Of all story disconnects I experience, 90% are during cutscenes. 

Can you please consider putting the save points right before the cutscenes?

So in this case: Boss fight - won - save point - start cutscene?

That would prevent a lot of frustration.

👍

• Confused 2

• 4 weeks later...

Since SotO launch our group of three players (my husband, a friend and myself) have been going through the story instances together, but whenever a cutscene starts, the instance owner is the only one that gets to watch the cutscene as the other two are instantly disconnected, the instance owner disconnects at the very end of the cutscene itself. 

If we go into an instance on our own it works fine most of the time (although I did disconnect during the cutscene of the final Instance) , but it sucks having to redo instances or do them solo as we like playing together. Tonight we also started with End of Dragons and the same thing happened at the end of the second story mission (on the airship). Our friend and I (instance owner) finished it well, but my husband dc’ed at the start of the cutscene and thus has to redo the instance. 

Open world / meta events are fine, WvW is fine, but story instances…not so much and it’s becoming very frustrating. 

Edited by Arcanum.6730
Typo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Celebrate 10 years of Guild Wars and Disconnects. 10 years and you still havn't fixed the issue or implemented checkpoint or skip feature. I have to play a 40 min boss fight over and over and over and over again and hope to not get disconnected on the 5 second death cinematic. This is an issue reported everywhere for years...I want to play, I want to buy the expansions...but what's the point? I wont be able to play or enjoy any of the story...

I have tried everything I have found everywhere, over the 10 years I have always had this bug, I have lived in 2 different houses, with 2 different ISP's, 4 different routers, 3 different computers...

I have tried: Gw2 Repair, Remove login info from launcher, Clear appdata cache, Capped fps 60 , -clientport:443 and 80 StreamData - Max/on demand, youtube Video in background, Playing in party with friend, Press keys (1, jump, move etc) during cinematic, changed DNS, Flushed DNS, cleared Netsocket, portforwarded and more.

What else can I do?... Just stop playing?

On 10/14/2023 at 11:42 PM, Buttons.2758 said:

Celebrate 10 years of Guild Wars and Disconnects. 10 years and you still havn't fixed the issue or implemented checkpoint or skip feature. I have to play a 40 min boss fight over and over and over and over again and hope to not get disconnected on the 5 second death cinematic. This is an issue reported everywhere for years...I want to play, I want to buy the expansions...but what's the point? I wont be able to play or enjoy any of the story...

I have tried everything I have found everywhere, over the 10 years I have always had this bug, I have lived in 2 different houses, with 2 different ISP's, 4 different routers, 3 different computers...

I have tried: Gw2 Repair, Remove login info from launcher, Clear appdata cache, Capped fps 60 , -clientport:443 and 80 StreamData - Max/on demand, youtube Video in background, Playing in party with friend, Press keys (1, jump, move etc) during cinematic, changed DNS, Flushed DNS, cleared Netsocket, portforwarded and more.

What else can I do?... Just stop playing?

What else can you do? If this game was subscription based this would be fixed years ago.

• 2 months later...

Ahh, nothing like having a game-breaking issue and finding the bug thread full of smoke-and-mirrors maybe-possiblies and a ten year history of not being fixed.

First time this happened I had to redo a half hour long mission six times. Reinstalling the game fixed it and I thought that was that.

Two days later and my heart sinks when it happens again at the end of another half an hour long mission. Thankfully this one ends in a skippable cutscene and skipping it gets me through.

But having just bought everything up to End of Dragons, am I to understand that I'm going to be wrestling with this the entire time? Mashing auto-attack in cutscenes and toggling content streaming options and minimising and un-minimising before cutscenes and hoping something prevents it, or that it won't happen this time? It's a major motivation killer. Arena Net, please please fix this.

On 12/27/2023 at 2:14 AM, Kritigri.8360 said:

Ahh, nothing like having a game-breaking issue and finding the bug thread full of smoke-and-mirrors maybe-possiblies and a ten year history of not being fixed.

First time this happened I had to redo a half hour long mission six times. Reinstalling the game fixed it and I thought that was that.

Two days later and my heart sinks when it happens again at the end of another half an hour long mission. Thankfully this one ends in a skippable cutscene and skipping it gets me through.

But having just bought everything up to End of Dragons, am I to understand that I'm going to be wrestling with this the entire time? Mashing auto-attack in cutscenes and toggling content streaming options and minimising and un-minimising before cutscenes and hoping something prevents it, or that it won't happen this time? It's a major motivation killer. Arena Net, please please fix this.

Yeah, I've tried a buuuunch of the fixes listed throughout the years in this thread and nothing is working. I literally cannot continue the game. So disappointing.

On 12/5/2017 at 8:45 PM, Shadow of Aksu.3864 said:

I can confirm that I have the same issue. I have reported it in game and in the forums and have yet to see a solution. There area numb er of other threads with similar reports. I disconnect in every Path of Fire story that has a cinematic at the end. I disconnect once the cinematic ends but do not get credit for progress or the reward. I am so frustrated after fighting Balthazar so many times with no credit !

6 years later, this is still occurring. in To Kill a God and other story instances. Something about the cutscene does seem to trigger it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/25/2022 at 1:29 PM, Duff.9543 said:

After getting 15+ disconnects at ending cutscene on Hidden Arcane story instance, I finally able to finish it by lowering resolution and setting all graphic setting to low. I think it is worth a try for everyone still struggling

Thank you, it worked for me

• 1 month later...

Enjoying the game quite a bit and recently bought the 3 expansions.  I bought the game on original launch and have played it on and off since then, but not very much.  It stuck this time.

My big problem is that I am randomly disconnecting after a cinematic or during a mission.  Last night I was doing the really long level 80 one and disconnected after a lengthy boss fight and quite a bit of time in the mission, very frustrating!

I have googled and tried all the remedies people have suggested, having a youtube video playing the background, setting streaming to max, hitting keys during cinematic, deleting your log in info etc.  I have also tried doing a fresh install of the game.  This seems to be a really old problem that has been an issue for years.

Anyone find a fix for this other than what I mentioned?  Any dev care to comment?

Loving the game, but this really stinks.

Thank you very much!

Hi! Initially, I thought it might've been my wifi or an issue on my side but after crashing twice at the same point I'm unsure if it is.

I started playing the Secrets of the Obscure storyline and kept crashing at quest 2. Hell breaks loose. It's right near the end of this act when you talk to Mabon. 

I found a video of a walk through and it crashes every time when I reach this part. Youtube Link

https://imgur.com/YiRDmBd

Is this a me issue or is this a known bug? Could anyone help me

Ok I think I have fixed this problem.  It has been a week with no disconnects doing the whole HoT story line including the super long boss fight at the end.

I tried all of the suggested fixes in this thread and on the net with updated drivers etc.

Finally it occurred to me to update the bios on my motherboard.  Like the majority of people these days my LAN is part of my motherboard and I don't have a separate card.  Since I did that I have not had a single disconnect.  It makes sense when you think about it.  It is just something people do so rarely.

Anyway, TLDR, update your motherboard bios, worked for me.

Also going to do a separate post, maybe this will get a sticky or something.  Hope this helps some people.

Thanks.