Why do you still play this game?

Deax.1572

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a mostly open world pve player. I like the story, i like roaming around the world and looking at the view, i like the combat and the classes various styles of gameplay. I just love this game and all that it has to offer in pve. I don't play every day, but i consider myself an active player of the game. I just really enjoy what this game has to offer, the lack of grind, the lack of gear treadmill, the mastery system, the MOUNTS. It's just a whole lot of fun and exactly my style for me to enjoy. I'm going to continue playing gw2 until the game shuts down because i just love it so much. hopefully that won't be for years to come though, especially with the new cantha expansion announcement, very excited for the future of the game.

i played gw1 for story and lore....... and i thought i could do the same thing in gw2. but it fails in that aspect. like idk... the 3 campaigns, factions, nightfall, and prophecies, are waaaaaaaaaaay better than every storyline plot so far in gw2. i just log in i guess when the story's are free like now lol well there's quite a waitfor the living story episodes.

i'm not sure why arenanet doesn't try something different. the metas and events all feel the same now. i mean well it's been the same since the beginning. the metal band one was pretty good though.

idk. there's not much they can do to make it interesting anymore. they waited too long to bring out cantha. when cantha is released nobody is going to want to go back to tyria because tyria isn't interesting anymore... it's the same environments. it actually looks worse than gw1 lol. i remember maguuma jungle in gw1 was awesome.

I play because there's still a bunch of stuff that I can do and it's enjoyable enough to do that stuff.

That and there's really nothing currently available for MMO's right now, most things out are pretty trash/P2W/have no content/all of the above...

So, I'm sat here waiting for Blue Protocol, the MTG MMO, New World, PSO2 Western Release, Project TL and the new LotR MMO that are supposed to be releasing/entering beta this year...

May as well play some GW2 while I wait.

@Squirrel.6318 said:i played gw1 for story and lore....... and i thought i could do the same thing in gw2. but it fails in that aspect. like idk... the 3 campaigns, factions, nightfall, and prophecies, are waaaaaaaaaaay better than every storyline plot so far in gw2. i just log in i guess when the story's are free like now lol well there's quite a waitfor the living story episodes.

i'm not sure why arenanet doesn't try something different. the metas and events all feel the same now. i mean well it's been the same since the beginning. the metal band one was pretty good though.

idk. there's not much they can do to make it interesting anymore. they waited too long to bring out cantha. when cantha is released nobody is going to want to go back to tyria because tyria isn't interesting anymore... it's the same environments. it actually looks worse than gw1 lol. i remember maguuma jungle in gw1 was awesome.

It's the different style. First, you're not playing in a personalized instant where just you and your party are doing each quest. Second, in GW2 you are basically trained to ignore going and talking to NPCs and just joining in to any event on the minimap. They wanted the actions NPCs did and the events going on be the story and presenting the lore. This is partially why NOW alot of the actual lore is in book objects and achievements or even outside of the game rather than in any dialogue.

Also, by keeping the UI small and envisioned as unimportant, it makes players focus on just that what is available, the minimap that shows you where to go next. Which got enhanced even further by the content guide which just guides you to the next piece of content that is active, or not done yet, not caring whether the player wants to go there by attraction through subtler tells, which were envisioned earlier to be the guiding line players should follow.Since this was the basis of GW2, I personally believe they went on a hit and miss, sometimes (especially with PoF at times) forgetting to add the subtleties (probably because of budget?) and had alot of simple events that sometimes seemed much more copypasta than the original GW2 intend is.

GW1 presents the story much more traditional and clear cut, where it becomes more deeper much easier, whereas in GW2 creating a believable world, with believable cultures and believeable lore is much harder when it's not straightout spelled it out for the player.

In the end I would say why ArenaNet isn't trying something different is because the system isn't made to handle it and making every event make sense and into a memorable story is alot more costly than altering the quest text and having basically the objectives pretty much the same.

If Anet can do something entirely different would be to throw the system they have overboard, or to go crazy with it (something crazy like Dynamic events would turn into Dynamic Maps, like in HoT but then over the span of a month going through the different timelines or something crazy like that), But I feel like either of those is really costly, and I haven't seen that innovative courage lately, which probably is for the best if they want to deliver actual content to us, rather than inventing a new wheel.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:

@"Squirrel.6318" said:i played gw1 for story and lore....... and i thought i could do the same thing in gw2. but it fails in that aspect. like idk... the 3 campaigns, factions, nightfall, and prophecies, are waaaaaaaaaaay better than every storyline plot so far in gw2. i just log in i guess when the story's are free like now lol well there's quite a waitfor the living story episodes.

It's the different style. First, you're not playing in a personalized instant where just you and your party are doing each quest. Second, in GW2 you are basically trained to ignore going and talking to NPCs and just joining in to any event on the minimap. They wanted the actions NPCs did and the events going on be the story and presenting the lore. This is partially why NOW alot of the actual lore is in book objects and achievements or even outside of the game rather than in any dialogue.

Also, by keeping the UI small and envisioned as unimportant, it makes players focus on just that what is available, the minimap that shows you where to go next. Which got enhanced even further by the content guide which just guides you to the next piece of content that is active, or not done yet, not caring whether the player wants to go there by attraction through subtler tells, which were envisioned earlier to be the guiding line players should follow.Since this was the basis of GW2, I personally believe they went on a hit and miss, sometimes (especially with PoF at times) forgetting to add the subtleties (probably because of budget?) and had alot of simple events that sometimes seemed much more copypasta than the original GW2 intend is.

GW1 presents the story much more traditional and clear cut, where it becomes more deeper much easier, whereas in GW2 creating a believable world, with believable cultures and believeable lore is much harder when it's not straightout spelled it out for the player.

In the end I would say why ArenaNet isn't trying something different is because the system isn't made to handle it and making every event make sense and into a memorable story is alot more costly than altering the quest text and having basically the objectives pretty much the same.

If Anet can do something entirely different would be to throw the system they have overboard, or to go crazy with it (something crazy like Dynamic events would turn into Dynamic Maps, like in HoT but then over the span of a month going through the different timelines or something crazy like that), But I feel like either of those is really costly, and I haven't seen that innovative courage lately, which probably is for the best if they want to deliver actual content to us, rather than inventing a new wheel.

I mean like... most of the people play solo anyways... and living story is totally solo. Nobody even talks on chat, it's always just me going "HELLOOOO" so when you're even with like idk 20 people, it still feels alone, so this whole multiplayer thing definitely did not go well. The maps are still personalized instances but with others... like it's very weird... i feel so lonely in this game even when there's like 20 guys around me. nobody says anything, feels surrounded by bots. i'd be happy if they gave us heroes again that had dialogue, like GW1 EOTN heroes, except voiced.

Frankly just because there is nothing else out that really grabs me, or at least not enough to justify the monetary and time investment it would take to get going in something else, which is already taken care of in this game for me, just to then discover other or similar issues in that something else.

For me a massive part of (what was left for me to do in) GW2 was build craft and coming up with new either better or more fun ways to tackle different things in the game.That entire horizontal progression and making your own content part of the game (having 100+ builds across all characters) was entirely deleted together with Arc DPS in favour of a money milker, which was a huge hit to my continued interest in the game.

So at this point it's just a combination of having been with the franchise since 15 years and sticking with what's familiar and what I'm already established in, as well as just nothing else interesting being out there long term, with AAA gaming almost across the board descending into disgraceful mobile gaming like live service platforms which I refuse to buy into.

Basically I'm more or less on hold until Anet decides to make proper and challenging content again, as well as focusing on functionality and player needs when designing systems over making monetization platforms with functionality as afterthought, or until something else remotely interesting non live service-y comes along.

Until then, the core gameplay systems (in the few bits of content where game mechanics actually matter) are still fantastic and the game is just easy to jump back into.

It's like work. You can go have fun doing something, but there will be no reward. You can also go farm gold, which then you can go and buy cosmetics. There's no progress, no reward system, nothing to look forward to. You just go there and do something, that's all.

@Han Alister.3180 said:It's like work. You can go have fun doing something, but there will be no reward. You can also go farm gold, which then you can go and buy cosmetics. There's no progress, no reward system, nothing to look forward to. You just go there and do something, that's all.

Off topic I know but did your name come from the Seven Realms series by Cindi Williams Chima?