Retaliation needs to be nerfed

Hot Boy.7138

Retaliation, in its current form, is far too strong for the current state of the game. The frequency of it's application should be drastically reduced and/or it should have it's scaling drastically reduced. It's the epitome of passive gameplay. And the fact that it can easily be shared. One flurry of attacks on a single, or double target, and half my health is missing. That is the epitome of passive gameplay. I run a boon strip build but it cannot keep up with how quick the application of retaliation is. It needs to be reconsidered.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@"Azure The Heartless.3261" said:snips

yeah cuz boon ripping one of the most common boons in the game is practical,
especially after all the boon rip nerfs

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vicious_Expression

Phantasmal Berserker: Cooldown reduced from 15 seconds to 12 seconds. This skill no longer cripples foes. Instead, the projectile now removes 2 boons. The projectile no longer boomerangs

?

For power mes its arguably easier than it was before.Still proud of my haiku.

The problem is the both the frequency in which retaliation is applied and the damage it is able to do for how high the uptime is for numerous builds. Boon strip is awesome for uncommon boons like aegis. But trying to boon strip retaliation from a guard, engineer, etc is like trying to strip might from a warrior.

@Hot Boy.7138 said:The problem is the both the frequency in which retaliation is applied and the damage it is able to do for how high the uptime is for numerous builds. Boon strip is awesome for uncommon boons like aegis. But trying to boon strip retaliation from a guard, engineer, etc is like trying to strip might from a warrior.

I'm fine with balancing it so it has downtime such that it can only be up for short periods at a time. If it gets balanced to have downtime, though, I think the effect on it should be intensified. That way, stripping it becomes more impactful, and you get punished harder for multi hits while the retal is up. Most of those builds that have high retal also cant chase you all over the map. You reduce it and you make it easier to freecast on them.

lol vicious expression is a kitten trait, worse then absorption sigil. power mes can do some decent rips, so I guess whenever we encounter someone with decent boons we should all switch to mes.then theres light aura.

Who else has rapid damage delivery that they cant stow for a bit? I think mes is the only one that gets hit super hard by this.

Phantasmal Berserker: Cooldown reduced from 15 seconds to 12 seconds. This skill no longer cripples foes. Instead, the projectile now removes 2 boons. The projectile no longer boomerangs

?

For power mes its arguably easier than it was before.Still proud of my haiku.VE is garbage, any power mesmer would be taking PB/MB any time as you NEVER get this 15% bonus.Nice pve quote, its 20s and its not self-aiming like normal projectiles, its just sent in a straight line when you use it, its never lands on moving targets.Nice try /sWho else has rapid damage delivery that they cant stow for a bit? I think mes is the only one that gets hit super hard by this.Ye, its like, oh you have 10s+ retal... uh... I guess I will wait this 10 seconds and then 5 more seconds and w/e he randomly gets it... Nice idea /s

@Odik.4587 said:

@Leonidrex.5649 said:@Odik.4587it screws over mesme so its "counter mechanic"Ye... randomly thrown retal all over the places suddenly a "counter mechanic" againt class everyone hate even when it got shot in 1 of his legs, especially when your damage is so low that you take exact as much damage as you do

I hate to say this, but you guys are behind on the flow. If we look at ANET balancing philosophy over the years, we can conclude that whenever they nerf something they are trying to streamline a specific playstyle. Sword has not been part of said playstyle for a very, VERY long time. They're obviously streamlining GS this patch, so any adjustments are likely gonna be towards making it the next staff, cuz staff is out of style now. Building/complaining about anything other than the streamlined path is counter intuitive and is never gonna be addressed.

@ArlAlt.1630 said:

@Leonidrex.5649 said:@Odik.4587it screws over mesme so its "counter mechanic"Ye... randomly thrown retal all over the places suddenly a "counter mechanic" againt class everyone hate even when it got shot in 1 of his legs, especially when your damage is so low that you take exact as much damage as you do

I hate to say this, but you guys are behind on the flow. If we look at ANET balancing philosophy over the years, we can conclude that whenever they nerf something they are trying to streamline a specific playstyle. Sword has not been part of said playstyle for a very, VERY long time. They're obviously streamlining GS this patch, so any adjustments are likely gonna be towards making it the next staff, cuz staff is out of style now. Building/complaining about anything other than the streamlined path is counter intuitive and is never gonna be addressed.Their balance philosophy ...? Excuse me?They said they want mirage to be good at long engagement and take away all sustain and trolling us with EM remarks being good defensive option with 1 hour exhaust on it.

@Odik.4587 said:

I hate to say this, but you guys are behind on the flow. If we look at ANET balancing philosophy over the years, we can conclude that whenever they nerf something they are trying to streamline a specific playstyle. Sword has not been part of said playstyle for a very, VERY long time. They're obviously streamlining GS this patch, so any adjustments are likely gonna be towards making it the next staff, cuz staff is out of style now. Building/complaining about anything other than the streamlined path is counter intuitive and is never gonna be addressed.Their balance philosophy ...? Excuse me?They said they want mirage to be good at long engagement and take away all sustain and trolling us with EM remarks being good defensive option with 1 hour exhaust on it.

While the hefty dose of sarcasm is warranted, I think I'm right on the money with my comment.

Edit: You better give me that thumbs up, cuz I'm karma whoring.

?

For power mes its arguably easier than it was before.Still proud of my haiku.

Except everyone with a bit of skill dodges gs4, while gs3 pretty much never gets dodged, and gs4 is on a cd twice as long as gs3 (because it's 20s in wvw/pvp, not 12). So no, it didn't get any easier. I'd argue it got harder