The Ranger Damage Problem is Sic Em

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:Casual 50% modifiers in Marksman and Maul isn't helping.

Only moment of clarity is 50% and that's only on interrupts. Kinda hard to pull off that one.

Also nerfing those wont mean ranger still doesn't destroy people.

Name one other class with 50% modifiers. I dare you.

Name another class that relies on a single weapon skill and single hit to kill someone. I dare you.

Most people are dying to straight maul remorseless and sic em, WITHOUT moment of clarity. That damage mod isn't the problem. Moment of clarity offers a lot of counterplay and is only (maybe) a problem on soulbeast. The problem is Sic Em.

Hammer guardian (being about double cooldown of maul), hammer warrior, greatsword guardian. Last one isn't a single guy, but a 2.5 second channel which is arguably harder to hit.

I believe it's his turn to "Name one other class with 50% modifiers" given that he immediately side stepped your question.

Honestly I'm starting to think many of these ranger mains should be playing mesmer with how much smoke and mirrors their putting up.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@apharma.3741 said:

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:Casual 50% modifiers in Marksman and Maul isn't helping.

Only moment of clarity is 50% and that's only on interrupts. Kinda hard to pull off that one.

Name another class that relies on a single weapon skill and single hit to kill someone. I dare you.

Most people are dying to straight maul remorseless and sic em, WITHOUT moment of clarity. That damage mod isn't the problem. Moment of clarity offers a lot of counterplay and is only (maybe) a problem on soulbeast. The problem is Sic Em.

Hammer guardian (being about double cooldown of maul), hammer warrior, greatsword guardian. Last one isn't a single guy, but a 2.5 second channel which is arguably harder to hit.

I believe it's his turn to "Name one other class with 50% modifiers" given that he immediately side stepped your question.

Honestly I'm starting to think many of these ranger mains should be playing mesmer with how much smoke and mirrors their putting up.

Because he knows he's wrong. Or one would hope he does anyway, there's no justifying the amount of modifiers they have access too.

Because he knows he's wrong. Or one would hope he does anyway, there's no justifying the amount of modifiers they have access too.

Yep and he's doing a classic SF by suggesting nerfs to something that won't fix the problem so he can run around ignoring danger for another month. Mind you at least he isn't suggesting to nerf ranger by actually buffing it like SF.

@apharma.3741 said:

Yep and he's doing a classic SF by suggesting nerfs to something that won't fix the problem so he can run around ignoring danger for another month. Mind you at least he isn't suggesting to nerf ranger by actually buffing it like SF.

I am suggesting nerfs to something that will address the problem but ALSO will address future problems. I am leaving moment of clarity and marksmanship alone because they allow for a bursty melee range play style that has been around since launch and that I've been using on soulbeast for over a year now and I believe carries significant enough draw backs that it deserves some high reward for its high risk.

it's only been complained about now that ranger can get away with using it with sic em.... and also now that ranger gets superspeed, unlockable, quickness, and remorseless procs on merge - which could be the real problem tbh - because it allows ranger to EZ mode get into range and quickly do damage with an unblockable big hit that used to require set up with CC... I do think ranger should have access to some small unblockable and the blast finisher is great but the superspeed and quickness could be a little much...

ANYWAY the reason why I'm not choosing to write threads about moment of clarity and remorseless is because even If these get nerfed there are like three other traitlines that I could roll with and get less burst on single hits but way more damage on EVERY hit due largely in part to sic em. Nerfing moment of clarity and remorseless wont stop ranger from nuking people itll just be doing it from range more so than melee range now and that's largely in part due to sic em.

I think a zerker soulbeast should do a lot of damage. It's a berserker that has almost no condi clear, is very squishy, and can be pressured out super easy when focused. Yet right now, since no one is choosing to even try to pressure power ranger with their immobile builds (like playing mallyx herald condi rev instead of shiro mallyx or power herald, or thief) ranger is able to get away with what it's doing. So gut Sic Em so ranger isn't doing 25% more damage on EVERY HIT OF EVERY SKILL during that time and let ranger keep its ballsy Marksmanship melee burst - and lets see what happens. I think melee ranger with a high risk build deserves high reward and don't fully understand where you people get off believing ranger greatsword should not be a threat after investing into 3 dps traitlines.

@Eurantien.4632 said:

I am suggesting nerfs to something that will address the problem but ALSO will address future problems. I am leaving moment of clarity and marksmanship alone because they allow for a bursty melee range play style that has been around since launch and that I've been using on soulbeast for over a year now.

it's only been complained about now that ranger can get away with using it with sic em.... and also now that ranger gets superspeed, unlockable, quickness, and remorseless procs on merge - which could be the real problem tbh - because it allows ranger to EZ mode get into range and quickly do damage with an unblockable big hit that used to require set up with CC... I do think ranger should have access to some small unblockable and the blast finisher is great but the superspeed and quickness could be a little much...

ANYWAY the reason why I'm not choosing to write threads about moment of clarity and remorseless is because even If these get nerfed there are like three other traitlines that I could roll with and get less burst on single hits but way more damage on EVERY hit due largely in part to sic em. Nerfing moment of clarity and remorseless wont stop ranger from nuking people itll just be doing it from range more so than melee range now and that's largely in part due to sic em.

I think a zerker soulbeast should do a lot of damage. It's a berserker that has almost no condi clear, is very squishy, and can be pressured out super easy when focused. Yet right now, since no one is choosing to even try to pressure power ranger with their immobile builds (like playing mallyx herald condi rev instead of shiro mallyx or power herald, or thief) ranger is able to get away with what it's doing.

You still have to justify a 50% damage mod or are you blowing more smoke and mirrors.

It's worth noting that warrior had a 30% damage mod to physical skills and it was nerfed very quickly because such a high damage mod is very high in a damage line without conditionals. No class should ever have a 50% damage mod on skills.

You're saying all this came about because of sic'em without mentioning the plethora of other changes that have happened since PoF allowed you to have sic'em as a damage mod on ranger. Ranger GS got buffed to be probably the best weapon, or at least one of, in the entire game and that's no exaggeration. You neglect to mention everyone has seen massive damage/sustain nerfs in the big patch with ranger evading quite a few of them that have crippled other classes. Even without sic'em, ranger is one of the best skirmishers in the game and can chunk off 50%-70% of someone's health easily while enjoying the ability to plink 2 shots into a similar "zerk because I have to play zerk to do damage" for free knocking them down to nearly half health. All while enjoying some great stealth, evade and healing uptime coupled with top tier mobility.

It's not just sic'em, they're overloaded across the board and need slight adjustments to a lot of areas with a big hit on some of the damage mods. I'm not saying destroy ranger, just tone it down.

@apharma.3741 said:

I am suggesting nerfs to something that will address the problem but ALSO will address future problems. I am leaving moment of clarity and marksmanship alone because they allow for a bursty melee range play style that has been around since launch and that I've been using on soulbeast for over a year now.

I think a zerker soulbeast should do a lot of damage. It's a berserker that has almost no condi clear, is very squishy, and can be pressured out super easy when focused. Yet right now, since no one is choosing to even try to pressure power ranger with their immobile builds (like playing mallyx herald condi rev instead of shiro mallyx or power herald, or thief) ranger is able to get away with what it's doing.

You still have to justify a 50% damage mod or are you blowing more smoke and mirrors.

It's worth noting that warrior had a 30% damage mod to physical skills and it was nerfed very quickly because such a high damage mod is very high in a damage line without conditionals. No class should ever have a 50% damage mod on skills.

You're saying all this came about because of sic'em without mentioning the plethora of other changes that have happened since PoF allowed you to have sic'em as a damage mod on ranger. Ranger GS got buffed to be probably the best weapon, or at least one of, in the entire game and that's no exaggeration. You neglect to mention everyone has seen massive damage/sustain nerfs in the big patch with ranger evading quite a few of them that have crippled other classes. Even without sic'em, ranger is one of the best skirmishers in the game and can chunk off 50%-70% of someone's health easily while enjoying the ability to plink 2 shots into a similar "zerk because I have to play zerk to do damage" for free knocking them down to nearly half health. All while enjoying some great stealth, evade and healing uptime coupled with top tier mobility.

It's not just sic'em, they're overloaded across the board and need
slight
adjustments to a lot of areas with a big hit on
some
of the damage mods. I'm not saying destroy ranger, just tone it down.

Ranger greatsword has been only nerfed the last 2 or 3 patches in a row. Sic Em was a big damage problem that got nerfed and rightfully so. Sustain and damage have gone down and now Sic Em is overperforming again. Sic Em is the problem.

@Eurantien.4632 said:

slight
some

Ranger greatsword has been only nerfed the last 2 or 3 patches in a row. Sic Em was a big damage problem that got nerfed and rightfully so. Sustain and damage have gone down and now Sic Em is overperforming again. Sic Em is the problem.

Still waiting for the justification of a 50% damage mod when you're saying a 25% damage mod is too strong.

@apharma.3741 said:

slight
some

Still waiting for the justification of a 50% damage mod when you're saying a 25% damage mod is too strong.

Because ranger has the shittiest power coefficients in this game.

@Eurantien.4632 said:

slight
some

Because ranger has the kitten power coefficients in this game.

I'm sorry what?

@apharma.3741 said:

slight
some

Moment of Clarity is a +50% damage modifiers on the next single attack after the ranger lands an interrupt when specced into marksmanship.

Sic Em is +25% damage to EVERY skill for the entire duration of the ability.

When you get interrupted by a marksmanship ranger, (not just cc'd, it has to be an interrupt) you're supposed to stunbreak if necessary and dodge the next attack if it's something big like maul or worldly impact.

The 25% damage boost from Sic Em is way more valuable and isn't conditional like Moment of Clarity's.

Rangers also have higher damage mods because their base numbers are lower than other classes to account for the pet.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

slight
some

Moment of Clarity is a +50% damage modifiers on the
next
single attack after the ranger lands an interrupt when specced into marksmanship.

When you get interrupted by a marksmanship ranger, (not just cc'd, it has to be an interrupt) you're supposed to stunbreak if necessary and dodge the next attack if it's something big like maul or worldly impact.

The 25% damage boost from Sic Em is way more valuable and isn't conditional like Moment of Clarity's.

Rangers also have higher damage mods because their base numbers are lower than other classes to account for the pet.

They also have an unconditional 50% modifier on maul. You don't even need to hit the ability.

slight
some

next
single attack after the ranger lands an interrupt when specced into marksmanship.

They also have an unconditional 50% modifier on maul. You don't even need to hit the ability.

The modifier on Maul is called Attack of Opportunity and it's the same one that Moment of Clarity has. It also buffs the pet's next attack, not the player's unless they're merged.

In most cases, the only thing the Maul AOO buffs is an auto attack or a worldly impact if they're merged. They lost the damage on Gazelle F2 so they can't sync bursts with any pet except for tiger. But that pet is pretty bad on soulbeast and too squishy on core.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

slight
some

next

The modifier on Maul is called Attack of Opportunity and it's the same one that Moment of Clarity has. It also buffs the pet's next attack, not the player's unless they're merged.

In most cases, the only thing the Maul AOO buffs is an auto attack or a worldly impact if they're merged. They lost the damage on Gazelle F2 so they can't sync bursts with any pet except for tiger. But that pet is pretty bad on soulbeast and too squishy on core.

They can burst with merged maul, I know very well how the buff works.

slight
some

next

Like, Maul while merged to self-buff AOO and then wait 5 seconds without attacking to Maul again?

@shadowpass.4236 said:

slight
some

next

Like, Maul while merged to self-buff AOO and then wait 5 seconds without attacking to Maul again?

No, there's a skill called maul when you're merged. It's on siamoth if I'm not mistaken. Hits like a truck.

slight
some

next

No, there's a skill called maul when you're merged. It's on siamoth if I'm not mistaken. Hits like a truck.

The porcine merge Maul is a 2 part skill so on the zerker meta soulbeast build, it deals 2,222 damage.

Divide that by 2 and only the first hit gets the +50% damage buff from AOO. Also, you can't CC to set it up so it would have to be Maul into a 2.8k non-crit or 6.4k if both strikes crit with AOO on the first hit.

The only way it would hit for more is if merged porcine Maul was the first skill used after gaining fury and/or landing an interrupt. But that means that a fully buffed would have to be like: merge, interrupt someone, miss the GS Maul, then porcine Maul for around 8.8k. That's pretty accurate in terms of how much I can almost-fully buff a Maul when I run the glass soulbeast build. Sic Em would turn that porcine Maul into 12k if both strikes crit with the first receiving multiple damage buffs. That's fully buffed with FS and TAV but that means that every single damage modifier in the build has to proc on that specific skill and you have to miss the first Maul after interrupting something in order to stack the modifiers properly and not waste them.

Of course, by running a porcine, you lose out on Smokescale's stealth and evade and Gazelle's mobility and damage. None of the porcines are ferocious either. Finally, by running Marksmanship on Soulbeast, the only source of condi clear on the build is the 30 second cd Bear Stance.

Edit: Err... Eura just reminded me that the merged modifier is only 25% on AOO not 50% so lower those numbers I just listed by 1-2k.Edit 2: Fixed

slight
some

next

That's only for the pet. It's a 25% modifier on the next single hit while merged.

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:the maul soulbeast merged AOO is used to set up worldy impact and winters bite memes. its dumb.

No one runs axe with Marks SLB so ferocious merged, fully buffed winter's bite with WS over Marks would hit for 4.6k on a lightly armored target on a 10s cooldown if it crits.

i'm talkin about wvw. maybe pvp with full might.

edityeah lol ofc its not doing as much if you have no might... do you even know how to soulbeast?

edit editnvm. pre patch (before that, a while ago) it did like 12k in pvp.

edit edit editnvm. changed some things, practiced, and got it.

Thf5DUn.png

slight
some

I'm sorry what?

Without dmg modifiers, the ranger does a little below average with the pet raising the bar a little higher...not justifying the mod...just stating the truth

@Eurantien.4632 said:

slight
some

The position would go to ele, you must be ultra glass with scholar runes to do as much dmg as a warrior with demolisher..there is no class with worst power coefficients than ele

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:the maul soulbeast merged AOO is used to set up worldy impact and winters bite memes. its dumb.

No one runs axe with Marks SLB so ferocious merged, fully buffed winter's bite with WS over Marks would hit for 4.6k on a lightly armored target on a 10s cooldown if it crits.

i'm talkin about wvw. maybe pvp with full might.

edityeah lol ofc its not doing as much if you have no might... do you even know how to soulbeast?

edit editnvm. pre patch (before that, a while ago) it did like 12k in pvp.

edit edit editnvm. changed some things, practiced, and got it.

Thf5DUn.png

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?POwEcEWoMDGCbjByQxx7a/lPi0A-zZIPkGFBFMFqYBYrB

The only modifier I was missing was CCing the target first to proc TAV.

This is not realistic to pull off on anything other than a light golem.

@"shadowpass.4236" said:The only modifier I was missing was CCing the target first to proc TAV.

This is not realistic to pull off on anything other than a light golem.

no no no. you can realistically pull it off without having such a horrendous skill bar, and all from stealth.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwEcEWosAmHrjByMxx6a/lXy0OB-zZIPjKWAlMBs1Ayou could even drop beast mastery for wilderness survival if you wanted and lose that 30% or whatever damage. 9k hp gone is still at least half of someones hp so its whatevs at that point. assuming ofc, they don't have a toughness amulet.