What is the current best overall MELEE class and spec?

kshaeko.5647

Before I make yet another character, I would like some direction as to which class is currently the most effective melee attacker in the current meta.I've seen some reapers deal some ridiculous DPS, but I'm not sure about their survivability?Deadeyes seem like a troll build, little use in groups?Warriors are standing idly in the mid-line waiting for a push of some sort so they don't just die if they try an offensive move.Guardians are better off playing a supporting role like FB.I just want to play a generic but effective melee build, nothing too flashy. Any ideas?

Can you specify what sort of melee you want to be?

Can you give me an example of what you want to do in specific.

I.e. I want to keep my allies health up., I want to spike the enemy. I want to etc.

Because we can figure out what profession caters to you

P.s. there is no best on all. There is best in a specific situation.

@"Sovereign.1093" said:Can you specify what sort of melee you want to be?

Mostly looking for an all-around fighter with decent survivability and dps. Being able to absorb a few hits while dishing out OK damage.Also the ability to engage and disengage reasonably well, since ranged attacks seem to be king right now.I'm currently playing Warrior, but even with Marauder's I don't hit hard enough it seems with GS and dagger/shield. I'm also dying pretty quickly in larger fights, unless I wait and wait and wait until we push hard. Are my expectations too high? I definitely need to "git gud", but I don't want to waste time learning a mediocre class.

@kshaeko.5647 said:

Mostly looking for an all-around fighter with decent survivability and dps. Being able to absorb a few hits while dishing out OK damage.Also the ability to engage and disengage reasonably well, since ranged attacks seem to be king right now.I'm currently playing Warrior, but even with Marauder's I don't hit hard enough it seems with GS and dagger/shield. I'm also dying pretty quickly in larger fights, unless I wait and wait and wait until we push hard. Are my expectations too high? I definitely need to "git gud", but I don't want to waste time learning a mediocre class.

Go to Google and search gw2skills. Can you input your build and post here? I will give you feedback.

Imo. Warrior is what you are looking for. Just need mastering and maybe a change of tactics.

P.s. many players are smart and use baiting. Got to use thinking and positioning in fighting especially when you fight good players.

Like Joe Lewis, the boxer, you got to figure out the moment to throw that right hand and know that it will land and knock out the guy

Thank you for helping.Currently using this: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Spellbreaker_-_Magebane_RoamerWith Mending instead of Healing signet.I'm using the same build in sPvP and am doing a lot better than in WvW somehow.I guess that I'm mostly struggling to position myself, but I definitely have other issues. I see people bragging about getting tons of bags, while I get very little and generally feel useless in a larger fight. When there are cloud fights, I just run away and do something else because I feel so useless.

@"kshaeko.5647" said:Thank you for helping.Currently using this: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Spellbreaker_-_Magebane_RoamerWith Mending instead of Healing signet.I'm using the same build in sPvP and am doing a lot better than in WvW somehow.I guess that I'm mostly struggling to position myself, but I definitely have other issues. I see people bragging about getting tons of bags, while I get very little and generally feel useless in a larger fight. When there are cloud fights, I just run away and do something else because I feel so useless.

Ah the build you shared is a roaming build. Wvw builds are situation based. So a build for team can change to.

I.e. there's the stance warrior hammer gs. Or sword warhorn hammer for team fights with shouts.

So, when your not alone, you got to have a second build that supports others or atleast they support you.

If you like metabatlle then go to wvw on the meta part and scroll the meta to great.

I'm not a fan of their warrior minstrel because it is redundant as we already got firebrands and scrappers and tempests as support classes. But the stance warrior hammer gs is still good as a team. In out bubble or. Banner Lord, which you drop elite skill on downs and pick it up to support your allies.

Etc.

Wvw is a situation based game. So learn the situations where you are strong and try to stick on those. You also observe where your enemy is weak and hurt those. :)

@kshaeko.5647 said:

@"Sovereign.1093" said:Ah the build you shared is a roaming build. Wvw builds are situation based. So a build for team can change to.So I could try this:
But with GS and Hammer and maybe Durability runes? Full Marauder's or some Berserker's?

Yes. That works although I'm pro wanderer for armor with dura runes and everything else zerker. But thats good.

Because of hammer cc, players don't use it but the amount of boon rip and it makes ppl unble to fight back is great

@kshaeko.5647 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:although I'm pro wanderer for armor with dura runes and everything else zerker.

In this instance, what does +Concentration from Wanderer's offer that makes it superior to, let's say, Soldier's?

Well a little bit of umph for your resistance on f2 or full counter. :). Just a bit of concentration isn't so. Bad.

Although my warrior is Pvt zerker. It's limited in those stuff. I know that if I had a bit of boons, I can take advantage of my self boons and team boons. And in the end of the day, we fight many. So a bit of tankiness helps.

In the past the ideal was 2k power 3k armor 20k hp 30 crit and rest on ferocity now portion a bit to boon equal 30%

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:although I'm pro wanderer for armor with dura runes and everything else zerker.

In this instance, what does +Concentration from Wanderer's offer that makes it superior to, let's say, Soldier's?

Well a little bit of umph for your resistance on f2 or full counter. :). Just a bit of concentration isn't so. Bad.

Although my warrior is Pvt zerker. It's limited in those stuff. I know that if I had a bit of boons, I can take advantage of my self boons and team boons. And in the end of the day, we fight many. So a bit of tankiness helps.

In the past the ideal was 2k power 3k armor 20k hp 30 crit and rest on ferocity now portion a bit to boon equal 30%

Your concentration doesnt affect boon uptime you receive from others.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

Of course it's self boons and blast boon share from fields :)

@Sovereign.1093 said:

What boon do you blastshare, apart from might?

@Voltekka.2375 said:

What boon do you blastshare, apart from might?

Speed :3 but other than that - a bit of fgj longer duration isn't bad. Or your self resistance or that from the traited stances.

@"kshaeko.5647" said:When there are cloud fights, I just run away and do something else because I feel so useless.For casual / cloudy fights -> try staff daredevil. With traits for "% damage dealt heals you" and "cleanse on evade" you are quite autonomous, port into the enemy backline and jump some ele so they cant cast their meti shower, or kill-secure some low health left-behindlers.

If you want to play close to the com, go trickery, bountiful theft (some boons for your mates, incl. prot and stab) and blast water fields with short bow 2.

@kshaeko.5647 said:

I've been running Marauder Axe/Axe core warrior lately, and having success with it.Str: bot mid midTact: top top botDisc: mid mid top

Mending, Bull's, fgj, balanced stance, signet of rage.

I have a sigil of celerity in an axe an GS, GS also has rage sigil.

OH axe is a large amount of DPS pressure, and if gets dodges out so you can hit F1 or Axe 3.

On a melee push you'll get lots of kills. You may die if you over commit, but that is true for most melees in a melee push.

Had some surprising victories versus classes that should have mopped the floor with me, like Spellbreaker and thief, but I think those fights were against some fairly weak players. To be fair to the thief an 8k eviscerate after cyclone axe is a lot of damage to take with a lower HP pool.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:When running in zergs, it becomes more of the question who can actually go melee without insta death.

And currently its Warrior, Firebrand and classes supported by a Firebrand.primary question is not which class can go melee but where you can go melee imo

-> where: enemy backline (given that you dont face a scourge ball with 50 ppl stacking braindead at the com)

eating stab strip + bomb at the frontline tends to end ill for every class :#

@kshaeko.5647 said:Before I make yet another character, I would like some direction as to which class is currently the most effective melee attacker in the current meta.I've seen some reapers deal some ridiculous DPS, but I'm not sure about their survivability?Deadeyes seem like a troll build, little use in groups?Warriors are standing idly in the mid-line waiting for a push of some sort so they don't just die if they try an offensive move.Guardians are better off playing a supporting role like FB.I just want to play a generic but effective melee build, nothing too flashy. Any ideas?

did no1 tell you?

just get maurauder set or zerk w/e > scrapper far best dpsget some healing gear on scrapper also > heal/cleanse scrapper

both are pretty straight forward u just 111111111111111111111111 and randomly faceroll over youre keyboard and u have best dps or most cleanses if ur healing scrapper.

easy right? :D

i play reaper from time to time its fun but it wont be accepted by every1.while as scrapper ur welcome by every commander on the map!

scrapper right now is just win/win no matter what u choose dps or heal all u gotta do is 1111 and roll on keyboard

@"kshaeko.5647" said:Before I make yet another character, I would like some direction as to which class is currently the most effective melee attacker in the current meta.I've seen some reapers deal some ridiculous DPS, but I'm not sure about their survivability?Deadeyes seem like a troll build, little use in groups?Warriors are standing idly in the mid-line waiting for a push of some sort so they don't just die if they try an offensive move.Guardians are better off playing a supporting role like FB.I just want to play a generic but effective melee build, nothing too flashy. Any ideas?

hmm from what you write it sounds that you dont need any class advise but what would help you more is getting some insight of how the classes are played.

check this out mate:

that is youtube channel from a pirate chips warrior. guud huuls!

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/54492/videos-nephistos-spellbreaker-wvw#latest

i think with more training you can become good, your interest shows us that.