Controller

@"sorudo.9054" said:the best way to show what GW2 needs for controller:https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTS3oaOXzbRibYSuWA2ihfXnZxioOoegxO7KM7CUgQD1dX_jabC

Lol, I'm looking at purchasing the xbox one elite controller. It's got some extra paddle buttons in the back, which would be nice.

But so far I actually have everything I need mapped out on the 360 controller. Including targetting and special action button. I'm still making adjustments tho.

@"SeamusTse.9087" said:Pls take a look

It work perfect with GW2 and other MMO

That's very cool, but doesn't replace a controller.

Reasons most people use controllers are usually no need for a table/flat surface, or they feel more ergonomic to the person.For example, I use a controller because it hurts less.

I need to ask: why on earth would anyone even want to use a controller to play this game?

Without even mentioning the battalion of buttons you need, that a controller simply doesn't have, why not use the perfectly working mouse and keyboard? You're going to need them anyway while browsing through the menus and inventories and typing to your guildmates. What if suddenly you get attacked by a swarm of mobs and need to move quickly? You can't do that without closing the menus and grabbing your controller. There's literally a thousand similar scenarios in my head, and controller just doesn't work here. It's like eating soup with a fork. Can someone please explain the reason for this horribleness?

@"Hevoskuuri.3891" said:I need to ask: why on earth would anyone even want to use a controller to play this game?

Because they want to. I mean, seriously, you don't like it? Whatever. It isn't for me, either. Doesn't mean we should sit here saying "y'all dumb for wanting this."

If they are, they'll find out soon enough. If they are not, then they enjoy themselves more, and that is great.

@Hevoskuuri.3891 said:I need to ask: why on earth would anyone even want to use a controller to play this game?

Without even mentioning the battalion of buttons you need, that a controller simply doesn't have, why not use the perfectly working mouse and keyboard? You're going to need them anyway while browsing through the menus and inventories and typing to your guildmates. What if suddenly you get attacked by a swarm of mobs and need to move quickly? You can't do that without closing the menus and grabbing your controller. There's literally a thousand similar scenarios in my head, and controller just doesn't work here. It's like eating soup with a fork. Can someone please explain the reason for this horribleness?

I can't use a keyboard(or keypad) for long, as it causes me severe pain. I have tendinitis, and I actually had to quit PC gaming (and using a PC altogether) for almost a year because of the severe wrist and joint pain.I find a controller feels more ergonomic, my fingers don't have to move much, and my wrists are kept in a comfortable position. It's also useful for sitting back on the sofa or bed.

As to your other questions. I don't browse through menus that often, mostly in town . but I have the escape button mapped on the controller and I use action cam. I also keep the contoller in one hand usually or on my lap.

If you already know how to make it so your pc can read a Xbox one or ps4 controller, what you do is open up steam. Make it so steam can see the controller, open up big picture and configure the buttons. I use a steam controller but I don’t advise controller for raiding or pvp.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the schemas presented, but I have been playing FFXIV lately, and it hosts native controller support, and has a very useful control scheme.

Y = JumpX = MapA = InteractB = Cancel ActionStart = MenuSelect = Move to next FieldRB = Change Layout Level (1-8) (Always this, regardless of Combat Mode)LB = Unmapped (Probably want to map this to Dodge)RT+(Y,X,A,B,^,<,V,>) = Mapped Action for selected Hotbar, Right SideLT+(Y,X,A,B,^,<,V,>) = Mapped Action for selected Hotbar, Left SideRP = MovementLP = Camera

So on one hotbar, you get 16 actions, x8 Hotbars, for 128 actions total. Go nuts.There are some complex actions available in FFXIV like switching to a single side hotbar by pressing and holding RT then LT or LT then RT. Just thought I'd open the field to some extra consideration for mappings.

@"Drakkon.4782" said:I like the schemas presented, but I have been playing FFXIV lately, and it hosts native controller support, and has a very useful control scheme.

Y = JumpX = MapA = InteractB = Cancel ActionStart = MenuSelect = Move to next FieldRB = Change Layout Level (1-8) (Always this, regardless of Combat Mode)LB = Unmapped (Probably want to map this to Dodge)RT+(Y,X,A,B,^,<,V,>) = Mapped Action for selected Hotbar, Right SideLT+(Y,X,A,B,^,<,V,>) = Mapped Action for selected Hotbar, Left SideRP = MovementLP = Camera

So on one hotbar, you get 16 actions, x8 Hotbars, for 128 actions total. Go nuts.There are some complex actions available in FFXIV like switching to a single side hotbar by pressing and holding RT then LT or LT then RT. Just thought I'd open the field to some extra consideration for mappings.

I was just getting ready to post something similar but decided to read further to see if someone already brought up FFXIV and it's native controller support.

To those who think that a controller doesn't have enough buttons to play GW2, FFXIV has a considerably more usable actions than GW2 does and I actually find controller to alot easier to use than KB/M.

Drakkon did a nice job typing an example of how a controller works in FFXIV, but this video shows how the controller can be set up to make easy use of all the various actions.

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:you'd be so slow with a controller that even a bearbow ranger would demolish you

Not if the controller is set up properly, especially if there was native support like in FFXIV, which has way more usable actions than this game does.

FF is nowhere near as fast as gw2. GW2 is too quick for a controller.

This is absolutely true. FF's GCDs make controller play much more reasonable. It was a game designed to accommodate controller players in the first place.

• 3 months later...

My set up with joy2key

Up nearest targetDown mapLeft tab targetRight shift tab targetL3 dodgeR3 weapon swapL stick wasdR stick camera movementSelect locked right clickStartSquare escTriangleCircle activate, loot, talkCross jumpL1 modifier - mount skillsR1call target/ take target(with modifier)L2 modifier - left side skillsR2 modifier - right side skillsL2/R2 modifier - profession skillsMenu button swaps profile between menu and game mode.

Menu mode i have set up for mouse movement/ clicks and menu panels

• 4 weeks later...

I use a pretty unique/ advanced setup with xpadder. It's the only way I play the game at this point.

I have 2 xpadder sets for casual game play and 4 set up for combat, using the "while held" on LT and RT for two of the sets lets you map all the buttons quite easily. Learning the more advanced stuff on xpadder can let you map two buttons to the same, so my A button in combat is 1 and F if I hold it down for a certain amount of time. the 4th set is another "while held" on LB and all it does it control the camera, so you can zoom in and out in the middle of combat (similar to Final Fantasy 14's camera function, if you ever played). It's done using the action cam mode in GW2 as well, but it doesn't have to. I know a work around there as well.

I don't want to get too crazy into the details of the mapping, but if you do want to know how to make this game fully controller compatible and much more fun, shoot me a reply and I'll let you know.

Archived