So, um, is this actually spoiling the story? (LS season 4 spoilers?)

I've been away from the game for about a year, came back to where I left off - LW S4E5 - All or Nothing. Just done with the trials at the start of the episode, leaving the keep... and here I find a Torn Page from Caithe's journal right at the second waypoint of Thunderhead Peaks... and it details Aurene's death (?!) as if it had already happened? What?

Now yeah, I get it, the page has probably been added at a later point for some collection or other. But here I am, doing this part of the story for the first time, getting hit with SPOILERS FROM THE FUTURE. Does nobody actually think of these things? Maybe check if I'd already done the relevant story bits BEFORE the page becomes interact-able?

Not even mad about the spoiler, just disappointed about how it will look to somebody invested in the story and doing this bit for the first time.

• Like 1

@GummyBearSummoner.7941 said:Well I have good news for you but it may be considered a spoiler?

Honestly, not that bothered as to whether Aurene dies or not but the note makes no sense and it's not like the page is tucked away in a corner somewhere. It's RIGHT NEXT TO THE WAYPOINT towards which the story at that point literally railroads you. Leave the keep, instantly find the page, read about something that hasn't happened yet. Unless Caithe is later revealed to be clairvoyant, this is just so shabbily done.

• Like 1

@Ariurotl.3718 said:

@GummyBearSummoner.7941 said:Well I have good news for you but it may be considered a spoiler?

Honestly, not that bothered as to whether Aurene dies or not but the note makes no sense and it's not like the page is tucked away in a corner somewhere. It's RIGHT NEXT TO THE WAYPOINT towards which the story at that point literally railroads you. Leave the keep, instantly find the page, read about something that hasn't happened yet. Unless Caithe is later revealed to be clairvoyant, this is just so shabbily done.

I never put to much thought on it when I first discovered it. I always thought it may have been her diary and she wrote some vision of the future or something ? Hopefully someone can comment and enlighten us because I’d like to know why that was there also

Well...

! The Torn Page is a part of the collection for a legendary trinket. Aurene dies at the end of the story set in Thunderhead Peaks, All or Nothing.

! The following episode, War Eternal, takes place immediately / very soon after the events during the final story instance of the previous episode of the Living Story.

! It's somewhat understood that the guild and co. stayed in Thunderhead Peaks bereft and trying figure out what to do. There were some short stories released showing the thoughts of some of the guild right after Aurene's death, but before her resurrection.

Hope that helps!

Yeah, that's largely what I thought was going to happen but my issue is not with what actually happens. It's that the Torn Page is there for the people doing the story for the first time, which means that unless the player ignores the page with an icon hovering over it, they WILL be spoiled way ahead of time. This is something that required a bit of common sense. Like I said, maybe don't let people read the page unless they'd already done the bit where Aurene dies? (No need for spoiler tags here as I'd marked the entire thread as potentially spoilerific).

• Like 1

I agree that it shouldn't be interactable until you reach that point in the story. I'm pretty sure that's possible and it would avoid a pretty major spoiler.

If you haven't already done so I recommend submitting a bug report in-game. You won't get a response directly but it ensures Anet is aware of it and can fix it.

Is it possible that this was some kind of bug? I remember finding that same note and it didn't give me the option to read it. Just said something like "I better leave this alone then."

I don't remember where I was in the story at the time, but it seems like it is phased somehow. Perhaps you triggered some kind of loophole. You could try reporting it as a bug.

Is it possible that you somehow started the collection, OP? I wasn't able to read the page when I was at that point in the story. And it would be the only case known to me where they spoiled something thst way. There are a few other notes in game about the current story but you have to beat the story up to that point to be able to read them. So it would be pretty unrealistic that it's different in this case.

As I didn't know about Aurene's death by that point (and haven't played any subsequent story chapters either), it's only possible that I unlocked the collection in some other way. I think I bought some collection-unlocking item somewhere but it wasn't in any of the areas ahead in the story. So yeah, I guess if the collection has to be unlocked before the page is usable, it's a much more minor issue.

It's still an issue (cause again, I definitely didn't skip ahead in the story in any way, so it's still possible to spoil stuff by unlocking the collection), but a very minor one.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...