When they going to remove aoe on walls?

SeikeNz.3526

@subversiontwo.7501 said:This is something that constantly gets overlooked in these threads:

You can learn the approximate distances of most AoE skills and pulls to know when you are relatively safe and when you are not. I very rarely die on walls because I know where and how to stand (and how that affects my ability to land my own skills; but make no mistake the defender on the wall has an advantage here because there are far more skills that can be dropped down over a wall than up over a wall). This will not save you 100% of the time but it will make sure that you are safe 95% of the time when playing defensively around a wall. That will easily be enough for you to stop making threads like this and enjoy the advantage you actually do have.

Attackers have the advantage, unless you meant to specify certain builds that shine on walls. You can land your own skills, but you'll have to cinch on the edge and get pulled or blown up. People attempting to use their stuff from the wall are where I get most of my pulls from, either you know what parts of the wall where the lip wont stop them or you wait for that foot print circle to show. I agree about learning how to size up peoples circles and skills and knowing where to post up though, but that's mostly just a wait for the wall to come down.

The problem isn't AoE on walls - that's completely fine. The main issue/imbalance is that it is, more often, completely one sided. Someone on the group can throw an AoE up on the wall and hit the entire wall. However, someone on the wall cannot often hit the ground because of line-of-sight shenanigans (. This requires the person on the wall to put themselves in the much much more vulnerable spot of standing on the edge of the wall, rather than actually on the wall.

So, someone on the ground can cast a meteor standing against the wall and cover the whole wall - but a defender who wanted to interrupt it would have to stand on the edge of the wall to do so.Effectively, this defeats the purpose of having a wall to stand on, in that in lends little advantage except the few siege placements on walls which are out of AoE range (another issue, but a different topic). Some classes can get around this - e.g. engi Mortar because it is not a line of sight. However Mortar also then has some weird issues of it colliding and exploding on invisible barriers and what not (such as if you wanted to hit someone close to the wall). Unfortunately, I think the only way around this would be change certain AoE skills to not need line of sight, or change how line of sight works.

@"Handin.4032" said:The problem isn't AoE on walls - that's completely fine. The main issue/imbalance is that it is, more often, completely one sided. Someone on the group can throw an AoE up on the wall and hit the entire wall. However, someone on the wall cannot often hit the ground because of line-of-sight shenanigans (. This requires the person on the wall to put themselves in the much much more vulnerable spot of standing on the edge of the wall, rather than actually on the wall.

So, someone on the ground can cast a meteor standing against the wall and cover the whole wall - but a defender who wanted to interrupt it would have to stand on the edge of the wall to do so.Effectively, this defeats the purpose of having a wall to stand on, in that in lends little advantage except the few siege placements on walls which are out of AoE range (another issue, but a different topic). Some classes can get around this - e.g. engi Mortar because it is not a line of sight. However Mortar also then has some weird issues of it colliding and exploding on invisible barriers and what not (such as if you wanted to hit someone close to the wall). Unfortunately, I think the only way around this would be change certain AoE skills to not need line of sight, or change how line of sight works.

This is because ANet has no idea what the kitten crennelations were for. Shadiversity also has a good video on this.

While it should not be 100% safe, there should be like a cover bonus for being on the walls, and people safely on the walls should be able to shoot down without being in danger of being pulled.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@SeikeNz.3526 said:so the game mode can be more fun?

You standing on the wall and getting nuked, powerless to do anything about it, isn't any less fun than attackers on the ground getting nuked from the wall, powerless to do anything about it.

The reality is, both sides have recourse.

Defenders of an objectiven can build siege outside of range, and players on the battlements can not be stupid and use stun breaks, stability, reflects and cleanses,while Rangers, Elementalists, Guardians, Engineers and Necros can drop ordinance on the attackers.

Attackers can build siege outside of range from the wall, use shield gems, and players on the ground can not be stupid and dodge out of AoE attacks, use reflects, sustain and cleanses, while Rangers, Elementalists, Guardians, Engineers and Necros can drop ordinance on the defenders.

OR, and here is the big brain move: get organized, stack, empower/stealth, and charge out to attack the enemy.

Most times your typical rando wall defender is accomplishing nothing anyways, and the best strategy you have is to just drain the supply.

AOE on walls is just making the already strong classes even stronger. It doesn't benefit the weak and struggling classes at all. It should be removed.

@Shiyo.3578 said:

@"SeikeNz.3526" said:so the game mode can be more fun?

You standing on the wall and getting nuked, powerless to do anything about it, isn't any less fun than attackers on the ground getting nuked from the wall, powerless to do anything about it.

The reality is, both sides have recourse.

Defenders of an objectiven can build siege outside of range, and players on the battlements can not be stupid and use stun breaks, stability, reflects and cleanses,while Rangers, Elementalists, Guardians, Engineers and Necros can drop ordinance on the attackers.

Attackers can build siege outside of range from the wall, use shield gems, and players on the ground can not be stupid and dodge out of AoE attacks, use reflects, sustain and cleanses, while Rangers, Elementalists, Guardians, Engineers and Necros can drop ordinance on the defenders.

OR, and here is the big brain move: get organized, stack, empower/stealth, and charge out to attack the enemy.

Most times your typical rando wall defender is accomplishing nothing anyways, and the best strategy you have is to just drain the supply.

AOE on walls is just making the already strong classes even stronger. It doesn't benefit the weak and struggling classes at all. It should be removed.

Maybe i do get you completely wrong here, Shiyo.3578, but what do you think, are the "weak and struggling classes"? I know, you have said aoes ON walls.. not FROM as i read it... so just out of interrest: what classes do you have in mind?

Anyway, the problem to me isnt aoes on walls, but the differences in effectiveness between doing "damage" from the outside of the wall, in opposition to "damage" done from inside (or better, from above).Lets take the Mesmer pull as an example. If a skill like that is able to pull people that are out of actual sight, from the ground, and over the the wall, right into the opponents from the outside... why is the same skill not able to pull opponents to the INSIDE of an object, just by casting that pull at a wall from the INSIDE?

Why is it much more difficult and risky, to try to "aoe" FROM a wall, other than standing outside and just ...cover everything in aoes, cc-skills, everylasting marks and shades, and - yes- meteors.