Ping issues.

Ok so let me give you my setup-

Processor- I9-9900kGPU- Nvidia Geforce 2080 TIRAM- 64gb of Corsair VengeanceMotherboard- AMD Z390Cooling- Corsair Liquid coolingStorage- 2TB SSD (games and OS on there with OS partitioned off) 1TB SSD for everything else.450mb download and 45mb upload.

Ok now that's out of the way, I'm having issues with ping. I can't ever get below 40ms according to the in game settings window. In large groups this sometimes spikes to 100ms.

While playing the game I've run an OOKLA speed test. It says my ping is 11ms consistent.

Why am I having issues with ping in game?

Any and all help is very much appreciated!

All that fancy stuff isn't that much related.Ping is mostly heavy on your location. For example I live in an area with a monster PC and my ping will stay 70-100 because that is the time that it takes for data transfer between the location of the servers and my location.If you have a super monster PC and you live in India and the server are in europe you wont enjoy low ping.

This setting aside, If you live in Europe and you have high ping then there is an issue. I suggest help center.

Speedtest always connects to a server that is close to you as that gives you optimal results for your connection. If you wanna know what ping you're supposed to be getting, change the server to something close to where GW2 servers would be. That said, their servers aren't really all that great and I wouldn't expect them to become any better. I always have higher ping in GW2 compared to any other online game I play/have played in the past.

@Dean.3056 said:All that fancy stuff isn't that much related.Ping is mostly heavy on your location. For example I live in an area with a monster PC and my ping will stay 70-100 because that is the time that it takes for data transfer between the location of the servers and my location.If you have a super monster PC and you live in India and the server are in europe you wont enjoy low ping.

This setting aside, If you live in Europe and you have high ping then there is an issue. I suggest help center.

I'm literally central east coast USA. Is there anywhere we can see where the servers for GW2 is located?

@maddoctor.2738 said:IF I'm not mistaken US servers are in Texas. EU servers are in Frankfurt

NA servers are in Virginia; it's been years since they were in Texas.EU servers are still in Frankfort, though they are different servers now.

@OP You can find the IP address of any map by typing /IP in chat, and use a program (like PingPlotter) to check your connection.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:IF I'm not mistaken US servers are in Texas. EU servers are in Frankfurt

NA servers are in Virginia; it's been years since they were in Texas.EU servers are still in Frankfort, though they are different servers now.

@OP You can find the IP address of any map by typing /IP in chat, and use a program (like PingPlotter) to check your connection.

How do I translate the the PingPlotter data. I've run a test using the IP for the Lion's Arch I was in, and it looks like I'm getting 100% packet loss?! How is that even possible? I'm in North Carolina! Literally one state over...

@Solomon Darkfury.3729 said:

How do I translate the the PingPlotter data. I've run a test using the IP for the Lion's Arch I was in, and it looks like I'm getting 100% packet loss?! How is that even possible? I'm in North Carolina! Literally one state over...

You have to look along the entire route. Generally you’re going to see 100% packet loss from the AWS servers as they don’t respond to ping requests.

Ping issues been common for a while now, multiple reasons seem to be in play but most seem to blame it on the pandemic.

All I know for me is that for me the game is entirely random.. sometimes it plays perfectly fine and others it's an unplayable lagfest and neither my computer or my internet are to blame for it.

So long as GW2 is unpredictable like this I am just not going to bother trying to play at all.. i'll do my daily log in, home farm and WvW dailies but that's all the time i'm going to spend on the game until it is in a reliable and constant playable state again.Times like this make me very.. very glad this game doesn't rely on a subfee because i'd have cancelled it months ago over this crap.

@Solomon Darkfury.3729 said:Ok so let me give you my setup-

Ok now that's out of the way, I'm having issues with ping. I can't ever get below 40ms according to the in game settings window. In large groups this sometimes spikes to 100ms.

While playing the game I've run an OOKLA speed test. It says my ping is 11ms consistent.

What issues are you having while you play at a 40 ms ping? If your running into issues game wise and your ping is 40, I wouldn't think its an issue related to latency, even at 100. Now at 5k-15k that might be different.

@"Solomon Darkfury.3729" said:Ok so let me give you my setup-

Processor- I9-9900kGPU- Nvidia Geforce 2080 TIRAM- 64gb of Corsair VengeanceMotherboard- AMD Z390Cooling- Corsair Liquid coolingStorage- 2TB SSD (games and OS on there with OS partitioned off) 1TB SSD for everything else.450mb download and 45mb upload.

Any and all help is very much appreciated!

Wait. Wait. Hold up. You're complaining about 40ms access time...and sometimes it "spikes" to 100ms? Seriously? I get, usually, 70ms and if it only spiked to 100ms I would consider myself fortunate. This morning, in Fire Keep, I hit a wonderful 2500ms. Playing at 100ms or below is fine and you shouldn't have trouble at all.