Next Ranger Elite With Rifle : Yes/No

ErenYeager.3914

On 4/14/2021 at 7:53 AM, Kodama.6453 said:

And precisely how much did you think us ranger mains enjoyed watching Scrapper become a "must pick" team support in WvW while druid was told to kick bricks?

How long did it take for scrapper to become valuable, tho?And druid seems fine, considering that it is the meta healer in endgame PvE (raids, etc.).

The best part is that the one form of endgame PvE you listed is the ONLY content in which a Druid is really meta. Fractals? They've been phased out by a much easier and much more effective comp than Druid + Chrono ever was. Strikes? They're not required there: any healer works just fine in that environment, but if you bring them then you bring them for the exact same reason as you bring them in raids. PvP? They can be a decapper, but even when they're good they're never the best at that role. They can roam in WvW, but they can't join a zerg. A SUPPORT cannot join a zerg. That should tell you all you need to know about how Druid is doing right now in the meta. 

These people are right: Take away the spirit babysitting and they're a lackluster specialization from all sides. They have one form of content in which they are useful and it's only because they're an efficient way to bring in Core Ranger utility and 10-man might so that the DPS Rangers (if there happen to be any) can run more selfish higher DPS utilities. If we were to, say, nerf the "overperforming spirits" then you stand a good chance of nerfing them out of the last form of content the spec is relevant in since everything else the Druid brought has already been nerfed multiple times over. 

Anyway, for Rifle Ranger... I wouldn't be enthused. We already have the longbow, short bow, and axe for ranged weapons. Among those, longbow is a good power option, short bow is a nice condi weapon, and Axe makes an effective hybrid/condi weapon. And of those options, Longbow already has a sniper thing going, shortbow and axe both have "shotgun" skills that are fine with being in short range. Longbow fulfills a sort of sniper motif, short bow and axe both fulfill mid-range skirmisher roles that also give some control to enable gaining distance if need be while still not being entirely afraid of getting closer. I don't know, rifle just seems like an underwhelming idea to me right now without even needing to consider any sort of ranger themes (since that means different things to different people anyway). I feel like there's more notable ground a Ranger can cover than a Rifle unless they just get wild with it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Axl.8924 said:

Is there anyone here from the GW1 days remebmer if rangers ever used rifle or hammer?

In GW1 there were no rifles or pistols, those came between GW1 and GW2 in the lore. But Rangers could effectively use hammers for CC-heavy spike pressure in PvP, or at least they could at one point. Not sure how the meta developed since I didn't PvP in that game much. The specific build idea was commonly referred to as "Bunny Thumper" if you want to look it up. 

I don't think I'd be inherently opposed to Ranger getting hammers again. I'm fine with most anything except Rifles, because if they make it an effective long-range power weapon then you just know you're going to get cheese with LB/Rifle sniping, and if you make it a really good condi weapon then you chance getting annoying ranged condi shenanigans with Rifle/Shortbow that just plays keepaway in WvW roaming while they wear you down (probably wouldn't be a terribly effective strat in sPvP due to the nodes forcing them to stand on a spot instead of endless kiting at least). At least with the current iteration of Shortbow + Axe/Torch that can only do particularly notable damage when they can shotgun and it lacks cover condis, which a rifle could potentially problematically bring.

Edited by Caitir.6947
  • Like 1

Heavy CC warden with hammer.

Some nature magiced theme thing with scepter+focus or whatever.

Or something more sleak with off-hand sword, maybe.

Just some ideas from the top of my head that sound endless more fun than rifle. Especially rifle on ranger.

• Like 1