A necessary improvement in preparation for the Legendary Armory

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"yann.1946" said:

What specific wvw events are you talking aboutWvW seasons. Specifically,
and
.The reason why we haven;t got more of those is because, according to devs, even if those three were meant to bring more people in to the mode (and did it in spades when they were up - but
only
when they were up), in the end they helped in significantly
reducing
WvW population.Do you have a source?

Unfortunately didn't find one. That was some very old statement, i think by someone from WvW team, about why they aren't planning any new tournaments. It was almost certainly either on reddit or on old forums (it was a response to players, so i am quite certain it wasn't in any mmozine interview, and i doubt it was recent enough to be on this forum either)

Turns out, if you entice players to certain content with rewards, you
don't
actually make them more interested in that content itself (or care about it in any way). So, if you bring in too many of them, you change the nature of the mode itself, to the point where the original players start feeling uncomfortable in there.

Assuming that the original players have left in the past for that reason.Sure. I don't remember the specific of what they attributed the population drop to - it
was
many years ago. Still, that population drop did happen.

Another population drop also happened (even if this time it wasn't acknowledged officially by devs) after first 4 SPvP league seasons - on the year where they introduced the PvP legendary backpack. Although that time there were also other very valid reasons for that (like some really problematic changes to matchmaking between seasons, and some drastic balance changes on top of it). I doubt SPvP ever recovered to pre-leagues population levels (although SPvP players are probably better suited to speak about it, as my contact with SPvP since that time is the lowest of all the main modes, so i may be biased in my observations).

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@yann.1946 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:It still doesn’t matter whether the content is abandoned or not.

Maybe it doesn't matter to you, but it does matter when we consider the purpose you claimed those rewards have.

Legendaries tied to specific game modes are there to drive players to play them.Driving players to a specific mode is important to devs only if they still care about the content being played. If they abandoned said content, it means they no longer care about it. Thus, that original purpose suddenly becomes meaningless. It basically no longer exists.

I think “neglected” is more accurate than “abandoned.”

Personally, I do not think forcing players to play multiple game modes in the same game is EVER a good idea. For the vast majority of games, solo/pve game modes and competitive/pvp game modes offer vastly different types of experiences. Whatever experiences a player enjoys in one game mode may not exist at all in other game modes. That's why so many players do not play multiple game modes in the same game.

A player who enjoys multiple game modes can enjoy multiple modes just fine without rewards forcing them to play multiple modes. However, for players who do not enjoy other modes because those do not have what they like about the game, being forced to those other modes for rewards will only lead to a bad experience.

If Anet wants players to try different game modes, entice players to TRY these modes. Do not forcefully LOCK players in for exclusive rewards. And brushing off that nobody NEEDS legendaries is foolish, especially for a game genre where in-game rewards is so important. That's like telling players to quit the game because nobody NEEDS to play this game.

As for different difficulties in the same mode, I love it when games have multiple ways of obtaining stuff. A quick but challenging way, and a slow but easy way. For example, if it takes raiders 2 months to get legendary armors, give open world players easier ways to obtain the same armors in 4 months.

What is the difference between forced and enticed to you.

Exclusivity of rewards.

Gift of Battle is only obtainable through WvW. PvE players MUST do WvW in order to obtain the GoB.

Dungeon currencies are obtainable through dungeons or reward tracks. Doing the dungeons themselves are faster than reward tracks and entices players to do the dungeons. However, WvW players do not have to do PVE in order to obtain dungeon currencies.

Also, by locking rewards exclusively to only one game mode, Anet is most likely decreasing participation, overall. If PvP/WvW had access to all the rewards available in PvE, I bet these modes would be more active. Instead of locking rewards in game modes players dislike, reward players for playing the modes they want to continue playing.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"yann.1946" said:

and
.The reason why we haven;t got more of those is because, according to devs, even if those three were meant to bring more people in to the mode (and did it in spades when they were up - but
only
reducing
WvW population.

Do you have a source?

"The old tournament format encouraged extensive play that resulted in a lot of burnout across the player base and a permanent drop off in WvW players. This had a negative impact on the format, and in order to keep WvW healthy, we currently do not have plans to bring back WvW tournaments."

People are just lazy.It's human nature to try and find the route of least resistance, to bend the inconveniences of the world to their will, a more convenient shape. It also one of reasons behind cheating.

Anyway, we're getting ahead of ourselves because I speculate that development of the Legenday Armoury has been given to the same team responsible for WvW Alliances.

Also, even if it does arrive, I suspect it will resemble nothing more than a 'structure related to money-grab' in the style of the so-called Build Templates (which are not, by the way).

So, I wouldn't get your hopes up about anything.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"yann.1946" said:

and
only
reducing
WvW population.Do you have a source?

Unfortunately didn't find one. That was some very old statement, i think by someone from WvW team, about why they aren't planning any new tournaments. It was almost certainly either on reddit or on old forums (it was a response to players, so i am quite certain it wasn't in any mmozine interview, and i doubt it was recent enough to be on this forum either)

Here, I got one:https://time-keepers.ru/threads/wvw-frequently-asked-questions.10226/

Q. Will there be another WvW Tournament?A:The old tournament format encouraged extensive play that resulted in a lot of burnout across the player base and a permanent drop off in WvW players. This had a negative impact on the format, and in order to keep WvW healthy, we currently do not have plans to bring back WvW tournaments.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"yann.1946" said:

and
only
reducing
WvW population.

Turns out, if you entice players to certain content with rewards, you
don't
actually make them more interested in that content itself (or care about it in any way). So, if you bring in too many of them, you change the nature of the mode itself, to the point where the original players start feeling uncomfortable in there.

Now that we have the actual quote we can see the real reason "The old tournament format encouraged extensive play that resulted in a lot of burnout across the player base and a permanent drop off in WvW players." Now the question is why did this encourage extensive play, could have been that these were time exclusive and this lead to fomo. Conflux and transendance are not time exclusive, you can start or stop as you wish. It was not about the rewards, it was about the time sensitivity.