Gems as drops?

On 5/21/2021 at 11:37 AM, Sobx.1758 said:

I'm not even going to discuss the validity of your "recent quality of the game" opinion, instead lets just consider it as an objective truth for the sake of you having an argument at all:

Lower quality of the releases might hint at a studio/game struggling, which is most probably directly connected to the lower profit the game makes. According to you, the answer to those -possibly- lower profits is... giving away free gems, which is pretty much one of main (or rather THE main) sources of income. So going from here, explain how exactly this is "a reasonable request"?

First of all, i never proposed anything like that, the OP did. I merely put my 2 cents in.

Beside that, this is more a general saying if you want to call it that.

The actual point is the regular "Built it and they will come" not "let them come and then we build"

Every business that relies on the latter is doomed from the beginning.

GW1 was a very healthy game because quality was delivered left and right. Expansions came out in a 6 month ratio.

And no, i do not make a difference in AddOn or Expansion. Point is the quality of the content that is delivered.

There was no trade post or Gem Store like today. The game was monetized by quality of releases.

Even the small "Eye of the North" expansion would be a sensational success compared to what GW2 have to offer.

So people formed lines at the stores to buys A-Net's stuff and they were happy about it.

These days, the game is monetized by absolute garbage and this is why half of the people are let go.

We will never know why all that changed from GW1 to GW2.

But i can say one thing for sure. Even if A-Net would pay me money i would most likely refuse to replay the Ice Brood Saga.

So when the OP asks for free Gems, i call that a reasonable request. 

The keyword here was "recent content" not free Gems though. 

If A-Net by any miracle finishes the expansion this year and it is even remotely what people want to play instead A-Net tells people what they should play, i will open my purse.

If not, they might close the shop and switch everything to auto mode like GW1 and let it run down.

At this point they can also unlock all items for everyone or give away Gems, it won't matter anymore

Edited by Kurrilino.2706

10 minutes ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

This is more a general saying if you want to call it that.

The actual point is the regular "Built it and they will come"

I don't get it. And not only I don't get what exactly you mean by this quote, but also how 100 gems with an almost insignificant dropchance would be supposed to fix any issue the game has in your eyes.

GW1 was a very healthy game because quality was delivered left and right. Expansions came out in a 6 month ratio.

And no, i do not make a difference in AddOn or Expansion. Point is the quality of the content that is delivered.

There was no trade post or Gem Store like today. The game was monetized by quality of releases.

Even the small "Eye of the North" expansion would be a sensational success compared to what GW2 have to offer.

So people formed lines at the stores to buys A-Net's stuff and they were happy about it.

GW1 was a different game and if that's exactly what you want then you might want to consider just... playing gw1? That said, it seems you have the problem with the very core of the game, which seems irrelevant your opinion of "recent quality of the game" and the "let us drop miniscule amounts of gems on a nearly non-existance chance from mobs" (which also pretty much already happens in a consistent, small amounts due to the ability to exchange gold to gems) which is what this thread is about in the first place.

These days, the game is monetized by absolute garbage and this is why half of the people are let go.

We will never know why all that changed from GW1 to GW2.

Again, what does this even have to do with this thread as a whole or the post you've wrote before?

18 minutes ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

But i can say one thing for sure. Even if A-Net would pay me money i would most likely refuse to replay the Ice Brood Saga.

So when the OP asks for free Gems, i call that a reasonable request. 

I know what you said and I responded to it. Too bad you keep dodging what I wrote, eh?

The keyword here was "recent content" not free Gems though. 

The keyword was "recent content"? But it was in context of getting free gems in a thread specifically about that. If you were just looking for the springboard to announce that you didnt like IBS or prefered gw1 to gw2, then that's great, but it doesn't make your previous post make any more sense.

• Confused 1

Free gems because you have some dissatisfaction with the game is an absurd idea PERIOD. It's not reasonable, it's nonsensical. If you aren't happy, don't play ... but don't pretend free gems is going to fix your 'not happy' problem. That's just dishonest. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

GW1 was a very healthy game because quality was delivered left and right.

No it wasn't.

It was a game marred by awful PVE balance.

It was plagued by hackers and botters in a way the even this game isn't.

Despite a truly aggressive content delivery schedule it was not growing it's audience.

It was a game that was in such bad shape that the people who loved it most, the developers, took it out back and put a bullet in it's head.

They were unable to paint themselves out of the corner that some of their questionable design choices had put them in and rather that solve the issues of balance, security and popularity within the framework of the existing game they chose to wipe the slate clean and start fresh with a sequel.

This is not something you do with a healthy game.

It was a game that at the height of it's popularity never attracted the audience that the sequel does years after release.

While I think the gang banging of the OP and speaking on behalf of the developers in this thread is a pretty nasty situation bred by some kind of weird Stockholm Syndrome, your assertion that GW1 was in a good place is absolutely laughable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Free gems because you have some dissatisfaction with the game is an absurd idea PERIOD. It's not reasonable, it's nonsensical. If you aren't happy, don't play ... but don't pretend free gems is going to fix your 'not happy' problem. That's just dishonest. 

Right, because it would be "why did Anet only give us 800 gems?  Why didn't they give us 1200?  2400?  5000?"  No matter what quantity, if provided, there would be a vocal subset who would be dissatisfied.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Right, because it would be "why did Anet only give us 800 gems?  Why didn't they give us 1200?  2400?  5000?"  No matter what quantity, if provided, there would be a vocal subset who would be dissatisfied.

Right. So anet needs to decide if they want to exclusively inhabit an echo chamber free of complaints. What anet chose is a foregone conclusion.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

I know what you said and I responded to it. Too bad you keep dodging what I wrote, eh?

The keyword was "recent content"? But it was in context of getting free gems in a thread specifically about that. If you were just looking for the springboard to announce that you didnt like IBS or prefered gw1 to gw2, then that's great, but it doesn't make your previous post make any more sense.

What do you mean by dodging your question?

The game got extremely bad.

Giving people Gem drops would be the only way to keep people even remotely interested to login.

Not even the free 2 gold for daily login quests are not cutting it anymore.

Alone that we have login rewards tells us more about the state of the game than any press release ever could

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

What do you mean by dodging your question?

I mean, at this point I guess just re-read the thread, because I would rather ask... "what did you even NOT dodge in your responses?"

The game got extremely bad.

Nah.

Giving people Gem drops would be the only way to keep people even remotely interested to login.

That's just nonsense and it was already more-or-less explained above why.

tl;dr giving out gems in no way fixes literally anything about the game.

Not even the free 2 gold for daily login quests are not cutting it anymore.

?? 😆

Alone that we have login rewards tells us more about the state of the game than any press release ever could

What does that have to do with literally anything in this thread? Go re-read from the top or, at least, from your first post here.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

What does that have to do with literally anything in this thread? Go re-read from the top or, at least, from your first post here.

It's irrelevant if you see a connection or not.

I support the OP's opinion as reasonable request and i gave you my reason for that support,

which was the horrid recent content nobody wants to play.

The introduction of a login reward supports that there is a shrinking player base.

This is where i make a connection. Horrible game -> Few players.

So i perceive the game as so incredible bad, that they might drop gems to keep people interested

at least for the short time until the expansion is released.

There is no way to phrase that any more simple

Edited by Kurrilino.2706
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

I support the OP's opinion as reasonable request and i gave you my reason for that support,

Sure it's simply, but it's not true

Looks to me like you got an axe to grind ... but to describe recent content as horrible that no one wants to play and free gems as a solution to that is both wrong and absurd. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Sure it's simply, but it's not true

Looks to me like you got an axe to grind ... but to describe recent content as horrible that no one wants to play and free gems as a solution to that is both wrong and absurd. 

Has nothing to do with an axe to grind.

Gems can be traded for gold, which already drops. Just changing the icon or name of the currency that drops is not changing anything at the slightest. How this is wrong or absurd is far beyond me.

Has nothing to do with an axe to grind.

Gems can be traded for gold, which already drops. Just changing the icon or name of the currency that drops is not changing anything at the slightest. How this is wrong or absurd is far beyond me.

It's not beyond you ... you're just being 'selective' in your understanding/reading of what I posted. 

Describing recent content as horrible that no one wants to play and free gems as a solution to that is both wrong and absurd. 

And yes you have an axe to grind, don't deny it. Clearly you think you should be showered with free stuff because the game is 'horrible'. That's nonsense. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

Sure, but it's relevant that you have nothing to respond with so the only thing you can do is dodge anything you're ""responding to"" while all you do is repeat same thing despite it being wrong. And that seems to be pretty relevant.

You've been told multiple times why that doesn't make sense and why nothing about that is "reasonable". You can keep dodging all you want, but it won't magically make it any moire reasonable. (and "what did you dodge"? Well, just like before -pretty much everything)

That's just an obvious lie.

The introduction of a login reward supports that there is a shrinking player base.

Which was when? 2014? Seems like that doesn't do anything for yourprevious claims.

So i perceive the game as so incredible bad, that they might drop gems to keep people interested

at least for the short time until the expansion is released.

What you're saying makes no sense whether you pretend you're "making it simpler" or not.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

It's not beyond you ... you're just being 'selective' in your understanding/reading of what I posted. 

Describing recent content as horrible that no one wants to play and free gems as a solution to that is both wrong and absurd. 

And yes you have an axe to grind, don't deny it. Clearly you think you should be showered with free stuff because the game is 'horrible'. That's nonsense. 

yeah... no

I couldn't care less about being showered with free stuff.

There is nothing in that Gem Store i don't already own or want.

I am one of those guys who have 10.000 gold sitting around because i have nothing to spend it on.

There are only 2 legendaries i really liked and i crafted them years ago.

My gold is piling up since then and like i said there is nothing intriguing on the market.

So i call the OP request a reasonable one because other people might be inclined to login and play more often.

That's it. Beside that i don't give many dangs anymore. 

6 minutes ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

So i call the OP request a reasonable one because other people might be inclined to login and play more often.

That doesn't make sense. People don't play the game because they get gems from doing so. Therefore, giving them free gems doesn't entice anyone to play the game. Sure, they might log in and get free gems .. but then they log out. No point in giving gems for that. 

So not, it's not reasonable ... it's absurd. If people are not playing the game, free gems doesn't make them all the sudden think the game is worth spending their time on. If anything, it looks desperate, like the game has nothing to offer someone except for the lure of 'free' somethings. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 2

Very surprised that this thread is still going, but while I'm here let me just point out that of all the MMOs I've tried, this is the only one that lets me buy things from its cash shop entirely with in-game currency.

I don't do it as much anymore, but when I was new to the game I'd spend anywhere from 1-5 gold a day for a handful of gems so that eventually when something cool came out I'd have the funds to get it. There's plenty I screech about when it comes to this game, but the currency conversion thing is really quite nice.

Free gems are already a thing if you consider (as I do) playing any part of the game and trading currency for gems to be free. If you want it to be a structured thing, do your dailies, trade in your 2 gold each day, and watch your gems climb over time.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Very surprised that this thread is still going, but while I'm here let me just point out that of all the MMOs I've tried, this is the only one that lets me buy things from its cash shop entirely with in-game currency.

I don't do it as much anymore, but when I was new to the game I'd spend anywhere from 1-5 gold a day for a handful of gems so that eventually when something cool came out I'd have the funds to get it. There's plenty I screech about when it comes to this game, but the currency conversion thing is really quite nice.

Free gems are already a thing if you consider (as I do) playing any part of the game and trading currency for gems to be free. If you want it to be a structured thing, do your dailies, trade in your 2 gold each day, and watch your gems climb over time.

Thank you very much kind sir.

Finally someone with a little bit of common sense.

Would you explain those other gentleman now that dropping gold and gems are exactly the same?

I would be really grateful since i am out of words.

They somehow try to explain me dropping gold, which will be traded into gems, is fine

but dropping the same amount of gems is absurd and not reasonable.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

Thank you very much kind sir.

Finally someone with a little bit of common sense.

Would you explain those other gentleman now that dropping gold and gems are exactly the same?

They somehow try to explain me dropping gold, which will be traded into gems, is fine

but dropping the same amount of gems is absurd and not reasonable.

huh, what?

It's totally not like I wrote this in the first response of this thread, right?

On 5/12/2021 at 11:43 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

(gems are already "earnable ingame" in relatively small quantities by completing achievements -> 400 gems every 5k ap. Other than that you can get gems from playing the game by exchanging gold to gems)

Instead of asking someone to "explain this to those other gentleman", you should read the thread and address what was already said above instead of constantly dodging just to repeat "game bad, drop gems as solution!" as if it'll make more sense with each repetition.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

Well, that's kind of the point. I'm saying that since gems are so easy to get just by playing the game (any part of it that you enjoy, even), that asking for direct gem drops isn't really needed. I know this thread has gotten a little heated at points, but I believe that's what others are saying as well - that adding direct gem drops is redundant since you can already do the thing.

Example: Currently you do dungeons, collect dungeon tokens, and then trade for dungeon armor and weapons. Someone makes a thread asking for dungeon armor and weapons as drops. Users respond that the token trade-in method is already a thing (as the tokens themselves are drops).

I hope that clears it up. What's being asked for is already in the game in the form of gem conversion (and the occasional AP reward), so additional implementations are not required.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kurrilino.2706 said:

WTH? Just because you can exchanges gold for gems does NOT mean gems dropping is the same as gold dropping. You don't know what you are talking about. 

3 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

WTH? Just because you can exchanges gold for gems does NOT mean gems dropping is the same as gold dropping. You don't know what you are talking about. 

lol what?

So dropping 2 gold which is worth "10 whatever currency" is not the same as dropping "10 currency"

So the 1 mouse click is the absolute difference maker between insanity and reality

9 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Well, that's kind of the point. I'm saying that since gems are so easy to get just by playing the game (any part of it that you enjoy, even), that asking for direct gem drops isn't really needed. I know this thread has gotten a little heated at points, but I believe that's what others are saying as well - that adding direct gem drops is redundant since you can already do the thing.

Example: Currently you do dungeons, collect dungeon tokens, and then trade for dungeon armor and weapons. Someone makes a thread asking for dungeon armor and weapons as drops. Users respond that the token trade-in method is already a thing (as the tokens themselves are drops).

I hope that clears it up. What's being asked for is already in the game in the form of gem conversion (and the occasional AP reward), so additional implementations are not required.

I absolutely get what you guys are saying.

But the i am sure the OP suggested the Gem drop to repopulate forgotten areas.

99.9% of the people would be aware to just trade your gold for gems, it was just a little hope for a little extra motivation to do forgotten meta events or something.

If someone asks me, we could get rid of any currency beside gold and dungeon/fractal tokens to keep it nice and simple.

All those millions of map currencies confuse especially the new players

But the i am sure the OP suggested the Gem drop to repopulate forgotten areas.

No, he didn't, it has nothing to do with "repopulating forgotten areas", not sure where that came from all of the sudden. Even you never mentioned that before but just complained that "game bad, so we need free gems" as if that makes any sense.

99.9% of the people would be aware to just trade your gold for gems, it was just a little hope for a little extra motivation to do forgotten meta events or something.

Nope, people would keep doing meta events they're currently doing and there's no reason to assume otherwise.

If someone asks me, we could get rid of any currency beside gold and dungeon/fractal tokens to keep it nice and simple.

All those millions of map currencies confuse especially the new players

Those "map currencies" make sure people play the content before getting related stuff. Interesting how something like that comes from the person that JUST wrote about "repopulating abandoned areas". Removing map specific currency funnels people into most efficient gold farms even more, so -again- it doesn't make much sense. Even moreso in the context of your latest post.

• Confused 1

lol what?

So dropping 2 gold which is worth "10 whatever currency" is not the same as dropping "10 currency"

So the 1 mouse click is the absolute difference maker between insanity and reality

This would only be true, if the exchange rate was fixed, but as it's variable and driven by supply and demand, it does matter on which side you add additional drops.

7 hours ago, Schimmi.6872 said:

This would only be true, if the exchange rate was fixed, but as it's variable and driven by supply and demand, it does matter on which side you add additional drops.

I am pretty sure they can link their equation how much to drop to the gold marked

• Confused 1