Extreme FPS drops after May 11 update?

Am I the only one having huge lag lately? Seems the last 2 weeks its been bad and as of yesterday and today its unplayable.

Currently anytime i move its like 300 ping with 600 average and if i open my inventory 2fps and 2500 ping like why my dude?

Everything else runs fine and ive never had issues before, just gw2 it seems.

Edit: i updated my drivers for my graphics card and it works again now, my settings are on high with no issues.

Still lag spikes but nothing like before.

Edited by Elfie.8023
added solution that worked for me
  • Like 2

I am on NA, and i will look through the fourms more.

Glad im not the only one though, makes me hopeful it'll get fixed soon. Its been really frustrating to deal with, but im sure as more attention comes itll be fixed.

Same here, for almost three months now. The last playable time I had was like 2 weeks ago... Constant Lag and continuous low FPS makes the game unplayable... Never had a problem like this go for so long since GW2 launch and I still have the same PC.

Playing in EU server 35.158.145.59 and I'm in EU. Just ran Winmtr and registered 0 packet loss and my internet speed is normal and shows no problem with any other program/software...

Hey Anet, this SUCKS!

These last 3 days have been horrible been getting disconnected so much 7:11 error. It spikes and disconnects, i checked with the diag command but im not getting packet lost there.... done so many things and nothing. So frustrating.

Hello,

a few days ago I started to have really weird performance issues on my 1yo gaming Laptop. FPS and Ping constantly jump around between 5 and 130 no matter what I do. I even have gamebreaking lags in Solo Instances with really shitty graphic settings while that machine has no issues running newer/better games at all and also didnt have issues with GW2 until some days ago.

I exchanged like 10 mails with the "tech support" which ended up blaming our provider even after I told them 2 times that 2 other (8 and 7 years old) PCs in our Home Network dont have any issues at all and that theres also no issue with other games.
So I hope that maybe someone here has any helpful ideas.
CPU (AMD Ryzen 7 3750H), GPU (Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650) and RAM (14GB) all run below 60% capacity usage.
I tried that dx12 tool but it didnt help.
Using cable instead if WiFi doesnt help.
Updating Windows and graphic drivers didnt help.
I'm out of ideas

Edit: It seems I managed to solve the problem by setting the Frame Limiter in the graphic settings from Unlimited to 60 😂 I have constant 63 FPS now and no lags anymore (so far) 🤣
Leaving this here in case someone else has the same issue and needs this ridiculously easy solution. Or in case I get problems again after all

Edited by Aluna.6152

I'm on NA and its pretty bad these days.. Took a small break right before the final chapter of icebrood saga and came back after a week, all i'm getting is random ping spikes and constant crashing.. It was no problem before..

Anet should really upgrade their servers or something..

I have been in this game for a little over a year and the lag spikes have been a constant complaint ever since I started. I've seen one update about server connection issues which was months ago and never heard anything about it again.

Not to sound critical or roll off topic here but these issues are predominantly why people use VPNs. Then your account gets randomly "blocked for security purposes" when their "security sweep" happens and takes a few days to get them unblocked. If someone has 2FA on their account and said account is accessed through a random IP (in this case a VPN for OBVIOUS reasons), what are the chances that was hacked? My guess is very slim (I could be wrong though). I get it's a security thing but doesn't 2FA enabled already make it 100 times more harder for an account to get hacked?

Bottomline, players use VPNs mostly because of these lag spikes. Why is the player base getting inconvenienced by locking their account randomly for using VPNs which is mostly our band-aid fix for connection issues to GW2 servers? Sounds more like a double whammy to me.

• Like 1

As a follow up, I have tested the before mentioned "solution" for a while now with the following results:
Setting Frame Limiter to 60 indeed makes the game much more stable but FPS crashdowns with resulting lags do still happen occasionally. Like, every-few-minutes-occassionally.

If I set the Limiter to 30, it shows stable 31 FPS and the game runs very smoothly. When I did the Ley-Line Anomaly with the usual horde of people the FPS went down to 19 but there were still no lags. Only once so far, during Octovines in Tarir, it went down to 9 and I actually had a bit of lags.
During Loading Screens the FPS go down to 9, then up to 63 and then back to 31 when the loading screen ends.

So my assumption is that in one of the last patches something went wrong with the graphic-engine or the way the game communicates with the graphic card/driver since it just started being like that recently and only on my Laptop with the most recent graphic card of all of our 3 PCs.
Like already said, its an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 and updating driver didnt do anything.

Would be nice if this could be fixed in one of the next patches

Edited by Aluna.6152

5 hours ago, Aluna.6152 said:

As a follow up, I have tested the before mentioned "solution" for a while now with the following results:
Setting Frame Limiter to 60 indeed makes the game much more stable but FPS crashdowns with resulting lags do still happen occasionally. Like, every-few-minutes-occassionally.

If I set the Limiter to 30, it shows stable 31 FPS and the game runs very smoothly. When I did the Ley-Line Anomaly with the usual horde of people the FPS went down to 19 but there were still no lags. Only once so far, during Octovines in Tarir, it went down to 9 and I actually had a bit of lags.
During Loading Screens the FPS go down to 9, then up to 63 and then back to 31 when the loading screen ends.

So my assumption is that in one of the last patches something went wrong with the graphic-engine or the way the game communicates with the graphic card/driver since it just started being like that recently and only on my Laptop with the most recent graphic card of all of our 3 PCs.
Like already said, its an Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 and updating driver didnt do anything.

Would be nice if this could be fixed in one of the next patches

You  might consider submitting an in-game Bug Report, as there is no guarantee this particular post will be noticed.

Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

This game is terribly optimized and I believe focus should be moved to fixing this. I get more stable and higher frame rates playing star citizen right now than I do playing guild wars 2. I really like this game but the performance is really bad most of the time unless I am in instanced content. 

Intel i7 5930k, nvidia gtx 1080, 48gb memory, samsung evo 960 ssd, 1080p resolution

My CPU is a little old now but when I'm getting 60+ FPS in basically every other game I play and guild wars 2 runs between 20 and 40 fps its quite apparent where the issue is. Even when playing games in VR I am getting a much more smooth experience with far greater detail. I also play BDO so I do play another MMO and that game does not have the same performance issues unless I am fighting a world boss and in that case there are far more players on screen that what guild wars 2 has at far greater detail. 

It is painful as guild wars 2 is one of my favorite games but man this performance... it can get frustrating 

seems there are problems at the moment, I am running on 100Mbs Line, 7ms ping, 86Mbs and 68Mbs up and down respectively, but DRM's are a nightmare, constant DC's, and if you in a party and DC at boss, its frustrating for everyone due to time gating, and the skills I bring to the party.
I tried to then focus other PVE map, and went to Dredge Commissar, logged into map 12 minutes before time, and had an instant DC, relog, DC, reset my side, relog  and just hung till I got into the map and missed it. I am also running speed checks and monitoring on another device to ensure this is not my side, and everything seems clear. I have also witnessed a lot of lag in the eye of the north waiting room, and not sure if this is due to populations, as the Boss fight seems manageable even when their is 40 players in the instance. Seems something is amiss, and maybe related to the 11th May patch, as last night I DC'd in a DRM, and to save myself further embarrassment, just logged out the game.

I had this issue over a year ago and discovered after some sleuthing that my son was running enough extra stuff to saturate the UP-channel of our internet connection.  The symptom was severe lag every 3-10 seconds for about 1 second or more.  Turning off Facebook running passively was the biggest relief on the overload.  Naturally, he took offense but we learned to negotiate the connection load.  Voice chat is also an UP-channel hog so watch for correlations.

Another incident giving nearly the same symptoms was caused by the aging and incorrectly terminated copper lines between our house and the neighborhood distribution box.  It took about 6 trips for them(ATT) to finally get everything in order again.  We use DSL ( Uverse ) 5Mbit up / 32Mbit down.

Edited by keenedge.9675
  • Like 1

Starting since last night 5/12 and especially today 5/13, the lag has made the game unplayable. I reset my router and modem. Speedtest gives me perfect results to multiple servers. Also my signal strength is very good. At around -2 db/mv. So I'm suspecting it's somewhere along the line between me and the server. I live in SoCal. Anyone else getting extremely terrible lag? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, circuitnerd.5863 said:

I too am west coast, Cox. Speedtest is good. Signal strength is good. Terrible lag. Can't even play right now. I gave up. It started yesterday, the 12th for me as well.

Also Cox west(-ish) coast. Maybe we have a common problem.

Edit: I remember back in the day playing Rift, and some of us in the southwest were having connectivity problems, and it seemed to be failing at a main routed in a place in LA, the folks at Rift actually contacted them to let them know and help expedite the solution. Miss the olden times gaming.

Edited by notebene.3190