Taimi is supposed to be more and more sick, did they forget about it?

Aodlop.1907

On 6/13/2021 at 8:35 AM, Aodlop.1907 said:

Back in LSW4, I thought she wouldn't live through the whole season. Yet here we are. Could she at least start showing signs of physical weakness?

Maybe coughing uncontrollably while in the middle of speeches? Feinting at times? Passing out? Anything to show that's she actually sick, show don't tell, all that?

Her illness wouldn't result in coughing or feinting. Her illness is like the disease Stephen Hawkings had, which means that over time - beginning with her legs as that's where it began - she'll become less and less functional.

This being why she has Scruffy in the first place, the only way to depict this is to have her no longer being able to walk. Which isn't much different than now because she's been in Scruffy 80% of the time anyways, it'll just turn into 100% of the time.

On 6/13/2021 at 3:27 PM, Zola.6197 said:

Yes, it was quite jarring to have nigh a reference to her — as far as S4 lead us to believe — rapidly progressing illness.

Nothing about it said "rapid".

Taimi stated that her illness is "no longer in remission" meaning it's gone from 'no progress' to 'progressing'.

There is no statement on how fast this progress is however, just that it's happening.

We never were told when her illness went into remission, but it progressed far enough that she can't walk at a normal pace. WIth it no longer in remission, it means that "eventually" she'll be unable to walk - or stand - at all, and eventually will have trouble moving her back, arms, neck, etc.

This is a slow killing disease, it isn't going to be like she's suddenly kicks the bucket one year later. Stephen Hawking survived until the age of 76.

ANet needs to do a better job of re-explaining what her disease is, since it was only properly and fully explained in Season 1. Which players can't get or long forgot. To quote:

Taimi: I was born this way. My legs were never strong enough to carry me very far. Don't pity me, though. I hate pity. And I don't need it because I do just fine for myself.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/4/47/Talk_more_option_tango.png I can see that. Can your legs be cured?

Taimi: That remains to be seen. The degenerative effects of my condition may spread to other parts of my body as I get older, but for now it's just the legs.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/4/47/Talk_more_option_tango.png How far can you walk?

Taimi: I can get in and out of Scruffy when I need to. For example, I can walk from my bedroom to the water closet. Just don't ask me to be your partner in a dance marathon.

I hope as ANet slowly brings back Season 1 content, that they prioritize this dialogue. Because people seem to think she has kitten or something that would result in coughing up blood in 90% of media (even if it wouldn't in real life).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It's not. It has been addressed at some point in GW1. Basically, his necromancy and immortality magic are completely unique - his Awakened have nothing to do with normal necromantic undead, with old Orrian undead, or with Zhaitan Risen. It is not really known where he got this magic from, though.

Joko's Awakened aren't all that unique. While there aren't many other notable cases of sapient and communicative undead, this seems to be more of a necromancer's decision than not.

Other than them talking, there's no difference between Awakened and the Ancient undead, Orrian undead, Oberan's undead, or corsair undead seen in GW1.

Risen are different, but because they're dragon minions - they're different from all other undead.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Joko's Awakened aren't all that unique. While there aren't many other notable cases of sapient and communicative undead, this seems to be more of a necromancer's decision than not.

Other than them talking, there's no difference between Awakened and the Ancient undead, Orrian undead, Oberan's undead, or corsair undead seen in GW1.

I do remember that we've been told they are different when at some point in GW1 someone asked why Verata spells didn't work on them.

4 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

I do remember that we've been told they are different when at some point in GW1 someone asked why Verata spells didn't work on them.

That's more of a mechanical thing, because they're not "necromancer minions" by mechanics, as no other undead are (even some that are, lorewise, the exact same thing as mechanical necromancer minions in name and appearance).

22 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Her illness wouldn't result in coughing or feinting. Her illness is like the disease Stephen Hawkings had, which means that over time - beginning with her legs as that's where it began - she'll become less and less functional.

This being why she has Scruffy in the first place, the only way to depict this is to have her no longer being able to walk. Which isn't much different than now because she's been in Scruffy 80% of the time anyways, it'll just turn into 100% of the time.

Nothing about it said "rapid".

Taimi stated that her illness is "no longer in remission" meaning it's gone from 'no progress' to 'progressing'.

There is no statement on how fast this progress is however, just that it's happening.

We never were told when her illness went into remission, but it progressed far enough that she can't walk at a normal pace. WIth it no longer in remission, it means that "eventually" she'll be unable to walk - or stand - at all, and eventually will have trouble moving her back, arms, neck, etc.

This is a slow killing disease, it isn't going to be like she's suddenly kicks the bucket one year later. Stephen Hawking survived until the age of 76.

ANet needs to do a better job of re-explaining what her disease is, since it was only properly and fully explained in Season 1. Which players can't get or long forgot. To quote:

Taimi: I was born this way. My legs were never strong enough to carry me very far. Don't pity me, though. I hate pity. And I don't need it because I do just fine for myself.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/4/47/Talk_more_option_tango.png I can see that. Can your legs be cured?

Taimi: That remains to be seen. The degenerative effects of my condition may spread to other parts of my body as I get older, but for now it's just the legs.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/4/47/Talk_more_option_tango.png How far can you walk?

Taimi: I can get in and out of Scruffy when I need to. For example, I can walk from my bedroom to the water closet. Just don't ask me to be your partner in a dance marathon.

I hope as ANet slowly brings back Season 1 content, that they prioritize this dialogue. Because people seem to think she has kitten or something that would result in coughing up blood in 90% of media (even if it wouldn't in real life).

I give you a hard time about your hyper-realistic approach to lore curation. This isn't hyper-realistic lore curation and I hope you see the difference. This is lore curation that helps the audience by letting the story be itself. Slightly sloppy and hard to pin down is often the point of story telling.

On 7/1/2021 at 10:53 AM, Tyson.5160 said:

My thoughts exactly. I feel like this post made sense at some point and was put through Google translate, which causes some of the odd choice of words.

I was born in an English speaking country and earned a bachelors in literary criticism and fine arts in the same country. I am also neural atypical and struggle with maintaining a flow-state when communicating. This was written mostly for the studio and less for those who only think they understand story telling.

Edited by Psientist.6437
  • Confused 2

29 minutes ago, Psientist.6437 said:

I was born in an English speaking country and earned a bachelors in literary criticism and fine arts in the same country. I am also neural atypical and struggle with maintaining a flow-state when communicating. This was written mostly for the studio and less for those who only think they understand story telling.

I have a hard time understanding your ideas and concepts. I’m sure I’m not the only one, that does.  Using plain language, might help. It just kinda comes off as pretentious.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Psientist.6437 said:

I give you a hard time about your hyper-realistic approach to lore curation. This isn't hyper-realistic lore curation and I hope you see the difference. This is lore curation that helps the audience by letting the story be itself. Slightly sloppy and hard to pin down is often the point of story telling.

Suddenly changing the nature of the disease doesn't help the audience learn the story.

• Like 2

The character of No Face is, imo, the ideal representation of the "Everyman" archetype's topology or internal geometry. Spirited Away is an ideal presentation of the dangers posed by mismanaging the archetype. Arenanet has mismanaged the archetype. I am unwilling to teach the forum what this means especially when there is so much baggage connected to the subject.

• Confused 2

23 minutes ago, Psientist.6437 said:

The character of No Face is, imo, the ideal representation of the "Everyman" archetype's topology or internal geometry. Spirited Away is an ideal presentation of the dangers posed by mismanaging the archetype. Arenanet has mismanaged the archetype. I am unwilling to teach the forum what this means especially when there is so much baggage connected to the subject.

Then why are you bringing it up?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2021 at 5:22 PM, EdwinLi.1284 said:

However, I don't agree with the only solution being to kill them off just because they are disliked.

But I LIKE Taimi. I still want her dead. Because 1) it makes sense considering what was already introduced about the character 2) killing off good characters should happen sometimes. Tybalt was a success.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

But I LIKE Taimi. I still want her dead. Because 1) it makes sense considering what was already introduced about the character 2) killing off good characters should happen sometimes. Tybalt was a success.

The logic... :classic_rolleyes: By the way, the only mentor whose death really touched me was Forgal Kernsson.

Anyway, I don't see why a character must die. It's not enriched story-telling if a) it's totally forseeable, and b) it's a character the majority doesn't care about.

I just want Taimi gone at this point (she doesn't have to die, though!), preferably alongside Aurene. Both characters have ruined the story-telling with their immense, constant input (sometimes less is more!) that left us a mere pawn on the scene. Taimi's babbling and Aurene's pseudo-wisdom have become quite unbearable to me - worse than Rytlock's grumpy whining.

Aurene used to be more fun when we were the one in charge, not the other way round. Taimi only had a few instances were she was an enjoyable/fun character, e.g. the prologue to Kourna that took place in Amnoon (LWS4).

1 hour ago, Aodlop.1907 said:

Why? Shock value isn't inherently great story telling either. A death can be both forseeable and touching/impacting.

Well, not in the realm of GW2 where good writing is rare.

Yes, she is fatally ill, and yes, they seem to have ignored that throughout the whole IBS. All I'm saying is, I don't care how, just rid us of the annoyance that is Taimi dialogue (for most part).

Edited by Ashantara.8731

On 7/10/2021 at 12:43 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

Well, not in the realm of GW2 where good writing is rare.

Yes, she is fatally ill, and yes, they seem to have ignored that throughout the whole IBS. All I'm saying is, I don't care how, just rid us of the annoyance that is Taimi dialogue (for most part).

Aurene could brand Taimi and she could ride aurene into the sunset. After kicking the human gods collective kitten with just the two of them, they could rule all creation together as being too infallibe and ineffable for the puny mortals of Tyria to comprehend, just like anet writers clearly intended. Hey, at least we'd be free of them since they sure as heck aren't going to die.

• Haha 2