Gold

So i'm expecting you want a large sum of gold right away, the answer is no. As a fresh 80 you need to take baby steps in order to survive and be efficent at farming.

Places to farm

- Most common and doesn't required anything is Silverwastes (since you do searching then i suggest you search for RIBA style sw).

- Auric Basin required HoT, do meta there and loot chests under the city.

- Bitterfrost Frontier required HoT, do chest farm while farming berries for your asc trinkets, the chest farm is repeatable.

- Dragonfall required PoF, the entire map is meta itself.

- Drizzlewood required PoF, the most recent and populated gold farm.

- Fractal t4, this is not possible for you atm because required alot of reparations to be effective.

- Daily parking, crafting, doable but tricky because the more lv80 you have the better.

- Daily rewards, the easiest just by login in each day for 28 days and do quests you'll get 56g from quests, 35 laurels (55 if you pick 20 laurels from 28th day chest), 20 mystic coins. All that is ~100g per month.

- World bosses, like tequalt and drakkar.

- Get a magic card and all your wishes come true.

How to farm

- Make sure you able to survive in massive meta and deal enough damage threshold for rewards but tbh you'll find yourself alone until meta time, some maps need you to farm events for key to open chests at the end so proper gears is needed.

- All gold mostly come from unidentified gears and occasionally random rare drops that could sell high on TP, either sell them or salvage everything and hope you have good rng while doing so slowly build up your magic find.

Edited by Eros.6801
  • Like 5

I just typed 'GW2 How to make gold' in the google to see what came up. Lots of guides and suggestions out there that would help you. 1st one on the results was  https://metabattle.com/wiki/Guide:Ways_to_Earn_Gold

It even reminded me of a couple of recipes that I forgot about. Off to craft them and add a few more gold.

Edited by Blude.6812
  • Like 1

The hands down easiest way for a new player is to run Silverwastes RIBA 24/7. Its one of the most exhausting farms in the game because it never ends, but its very rewarding.

A few additional tips:

- Open Unidentified Gear before salvaging it, because a green can produce a yellow, and a yellow can produce an orange (Exotic).

- Pick your salvage kits carefully, try to match the quality of the item.

- Use Mystic Salvage Kits for yellow (Rare) whenever you have Mystic Forge Stones from achivements or whatever.

- If your Magic Find is below 100% salvage yellows to get Glob of Ectoplasm then salvage that to get Pile of Crystalline Dust, which you sell, and lucks to consume.

- Use gw2efficieny to see which materials and items should be regularly sold from storage, by sorting by price.

- Never, ever sell instantly; always undercut the lowest seller instead.

- For raw gold, transfer loot bags to a lv40-50 character before opening them to get more valuable salvage materials. Unidentified Gear isn't affected, only bags and boxes.

There's a few easy sources of gold you can do every day, which is dailies, the Krait key (Master Diver), and the Pact Supply Network agents. Also full home instance and guild hall whenever you can find someone to provide them.

See also:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pact_Supply_Network_Agent

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Map_bonus_reward/profit

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

The hands down easiest way for a new player is to run Silverwastes RIBA 24/7. Its one of the most exhausting farms in the game because it never ends, but its very rewarding.

A few additional tips:

[snip]

- Never, ever sell instantly; always undercut the lowest seller instead.

Which then becomes a race to the bottom for sale prices, if adopted. The next seller will undercut you, then the next will undercut them, and so forth.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I see a lot of people recommending Silverwastes.

I was under the impression to make a decent amount of gold with this you needed a specific level alt and to be fairly careful with how you were handling/processing your loot.

Is this no longer the case for some reason?

If so can someone explain to me why that is?

Because as far as I know Silverwastes is pretty average gold per hour unless you are opening specific bags on an underlevelled alt.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

I was under the impression to make a decent amount of gold with this you needed a specific level alt and to be fairly careful with how you were handling/processing your loot.

Because as far as I know Silverwastes is pretty average gold per hour unless you are opening specific bags on an underlevelled alt.

It's outdated information to suggest Silverwastes is good but some people don't have expansions. The only time you would have appreciable gain from there is if you sell clay (for geodes) and shovels or get a queen bee. The main loot is embroidered coin purse , as bag of gear's salvage has depreciated due to material price drops. Coarse sand has dropped significantly because people are no longer in dire need of it for the Icebrood Saga cape which requires Icebrood tonics that use sand to make glass.
Optimal level right now for bag opening from there is 59-60.

I would say top farm right now if not going for legendaries is Dragonfall (up to the 100th coffer of the day), whereas Drizzlewood coast is the top farm if you need mystic clovers. Ley Line Anomaly, Choya Pinata , Auric Basin Octovine, Chak Gerent, Tequatl, KQ, Drakkar, etc. aren't really farms as they are once a day.

Also for a new player 1000 mistborn coffers guarantees an ascended weapon from Dragonfall (from gift of Aurene) which has far more value utility-wise. For secondary character gearing, "3 easy" strikes are good as well.

See https://fast.farming-community.eu/open-world/farmtrain
and https://fast.farming-community.eu/open-world/world-bosses

https://fast.farming-community.eu/instances/strikes
----

The key thing to remember if you don't have high magic find is you are better off selling off all rares and salvaging all blues for luck. Silverwastes relies on luck for the loot drops from bandit chests so the drops are going to be far worse on a new account.

Edited by Infusion.7149
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

It's outdated information to suggest Silverwastes is good but some people don't have expansions. The only time you would have appreciable gain from there is if you sell clay (for geodes) and shovels or get a queen bee. The main loot is embroidered coin purse , as bag of gear's salvage has depreciated due to material price drops. Coarse sand has dropped significantly because people are no longer in dire need of it for the Icebrood Saga cape which requires Icebrood tonics that use sand to make glass.
Optimal level right now for bag opening from there is 59-60.

I would say top farm right now if not going for legendaries is Dragonfall (up to the 100th coffer of the day), whereas Drizzlewood coast is the top farm if you need mystic clovers. Ley Line Anomaly, Choya Pinata , Auric Basin Octovine, Chak Gerent, Tequatl, KQ, Drakkar, etc. aren't really farms as they are once a day.

Also for a new player 1000 mistborn coffers guarantees an ascended weapon from Dragonfall (from gift of Aurene) which has far more value utility-wise. For secondary character gearing, "3 easy" strikes are good as well.

See https://fast.farming-community.eu/open-world/farmtrain
and https://fast.farming-community.eu/open-world/world-bosses

https://fast.farming-community.eu/instances/strikes
----

The key thing to remember if you don't have high magic find is you are better off selling off all rares and salvaging all blues for luck. Silverwastes relies on luck for the loot drops from bandit chests so the drops are going to be far worse on a new account.

Thanks for clearing that up.

10 hours ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

There's a few exceptions to other farms:

1. Silverwastes gives tons of Obsidian Shards which saves massive amounts of money for anyone going for Legendaries or any other equipment requiring them.

2. Excess Bandit Crests are used to buy bags of loot directly, and you can sell organs to make extra Bandit Crests for this purpose.

3. The Bloodstone Dust is used to make Ley Line Infused Tool from Charged Quartz Crystal, and fed into three different gobblers every day.

Its one of the most complex farms in the game, but it has advantages for many reasons, like not dealing with timers, being able to farm 24/7 and the constant stream of events giving the most sustained XP possible in the game, which is needed for Spirit Shards after they were removed from champion bags. This doesn't affect old players as much but its very important for new players, as they're the main source of gold in the game regardless of what content you do.

Its also the main source of karma outside of WvW ktraining, which is needed for converting karma to gold, like with Pact Supply Network or buying Drizzlewood keys.

There's more that I could list but farms aren't just about gold-per-hour. Gold can only do so much on its own, almost everything you do in this game requires many other resources some of which can't easily be bought with gold no matter how much you have.

Other farms have higher GP/H but usually lower overall returns on investment.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 2

Silverwastes isn’t that great for obsidian shards. If that is one of the OP’s goals then they can just farm the LS3 maps. They’’d get 10 times as much obsidian shards in the same amount of time they’d spend in SW. 

It’s also not the best place for XP in the game if someone is trying to farm spirit shards. Nor is it the main source of karma as you can get considerably more from the LS3 and LS4 maps with the karma buff you can purchase. 

Edited by Ayrilana.1396

5 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

1. Silverwastes gives tons of Obsidian Shards which saves massive amounts of money for anyone going for Legendaries or any other equipment requiring them.

Obsi shards are much more efficiently farmed for unbound magic on s3 maps or Karma in Orr.

2. Excess Bandit Crests are used to buy bags of loot directly, and you can sell organs to make extra Bandit Crests for this purpose.

As was pointed out, the way Drizzlewood has devalued materials, these bags' return isn't nearly as lucrative as it used to be.

3. The Bloodstone Dust is used to make Ley Line Infused Tool from Charged Quartz Crystal, and fed into three different gobblers every day.

The return off gobblers is capped per day and objectively trash.

Its one of the most complex farms in the game, but it has advantages for many reasons, like not dealing with timers, being able to farm 24/7 and the constant stream of events giving the most sustained XP possible in the game,

Dragonfall and Drizzlewood both fit these descriptions but offer a much higher return on time invested..

Its also the main source of karma outside of WvW ktraining, which is needed for converting karma to gold, like with Pact Supply Network or buying Drizzlewood keys.

WvW "ktraining" has not been a thing for years. With the addition of pips to the game mode without adding them to EotM, the map is empty. Standard capping of objectives doesn't offer any better karma than even the worst PvE farms.

Also if you look at the chart @Infusion.7149 posted, the Karma from Dragonfall is over three times higher.

I would argue that Silverwastes is not a "complex" farm, but a poor one that players have developed ways of hyper-optimizing from when it was effectively the only reliable farm in the game. It requires lengthy and tedious steps to milk average returns from.

6 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

There's more that I could list but farms aren't just about gold-per-hour. Gold can only do so much on its own, almost everything you do in this game requires many other resources some of which can't easily be bought with gold no matter how much you have.

The OP's question was specifically about farming gold.

It depends on what amounts of gold are you aiming for and why do you need it. If you are a fresh lvl 80 there is really no need for large amounts of gold. Gold is not really needed to play any content at least not in amounts that would require extensive farming.

If you haven't played yet the expansion maps and story I would highly recommend you do that first. The events and other activities there are much more lucrative compared to vanilla maps. Open world in general yields a good amount of gold, enough to gear yourself with exotic equipment which is sufficient for pretty much anything besides the hardest content like raids and higher tier fractals. You most likely already have enough stuff in your material storage you can sell to gear yourself with full exotic. With further exploration of the game world your means to gain gold will increase and it will be easier to farm later on. Exploration yields also other very useful rewards and gear.

• Thanks 1