Dragon Coffer Economics

notebene.3190

The first answer will be: Supply and Demand.

I (suppose?) I get that, but then knowing this, every year, why is anyone 'The Demand'? Why buy everything at the beginning of the festival, when the boxes are more expensive?

Myself, I think I'd like to open a bunch, to work on my eating disorder achievement, and maybe pick up some jorbreakers, but I'm going to open all my boxes from doing daily stampedes in the last week, I think (barring how difficult it is to get the Season 3 story 'chieves done, LW2 was rather easy, usually a few afternoons - one for general 'chieves and one for story steps). The first week or two (depending on prices), I'm selling.

But I'm curious as to why I have people to sell to? Knowing all this, shouldn't prices be a little more steady through the festival? 🤔

I guess I can see that. After years I decided a few months back I was tired of waiting to save up for the home nodes and spent hundreds on getting my home instance closer to 'full' (just missing some individual plants at this point). So I guess my focus now is more on recovering that gold rather than the other. Suppose I'd be opening now if I hadn't done that. 

• Like 1

I'm with you, I foolishly started working on a legendary other day lol.  Recovering mats and saving gold, and I would love more home instance nodes (work in progress).

I agree with you on the inconsistency of market prices, especially since the festival goes until the middle of July.  For someone with a lot of gold and not much time to participate in festivals, I could see just buying stuff, or it just doesn't appeal to them.  

• Like 1

Have you looked at the drop table? People are gambling on the rare chance (0.1% probably) they receive one of the accountbound weapon skins or the Crystal Infusion which may be something like 0.001% chance.

If the expected value of a coffer is around 10s when you exclude super rare drops, you lose about 100 gold opening 1000 of them.

The weapons cost 4g +20 Jorbreakers which is around 144 gold right now. Therefore if you have gold to blow and want the weapons early you pay a small penalty for it but you probably need to open thousands of coffers to reduce the RNG factor.

• Like 2

A big part of it is definitely that while it may be rational for demand for coffers to wait for prices to go down, human beings are seldom as rational as we would like to believe.

However, another side is that the supply drives more of the price than demand.

Consider the start of the event where maybe 5-10% of the playerbase is willing to buy coffers, you will have a low demand, but the supply tends to be even lower.  When you get towards the end of the event, you may have the big majority of playerbase taking the rational course of action, but by that time, the supply is so flooded, it doesn't matter.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Statistically speaking you're far better off just selling the coffers (unless you absolutely want the 3 new skins, in which case you should open the coffers. I think I opened about 300'ish before I got all 3?), but for me, I just open whatever I get in the spirit of the festival. I sell off whatever I don't want, occasionally buy some extra Jorbreakers for the Imbued weapons, and otherwise just casually partake in the activities. It's a nice, low-key, low commitment festival, which I like. :) (And handy, considering we've got the LS Return AND the PvP Tournament going on at the same time, and next week Marionette will be back too.)

• Like 2

On 7/12/2021 at 2:44 AM, StarWolf.1593 said:

What are you guys doing if you get multiple new weapons, have two staves and horns but no rifle. Should i salvage them or throw them into the mystic forge?

I've been throwing them into the Forge, but considering the price of Ectos currently it's just as valid a choice to salvage them.

• Like 2