Its impossible to land Daredevil skills on moving targets

aaron.7850

The strongest attacks takes the most elaborate setups (Usually.)

I could say the same thing about Hammer Rev, extremely unreliable in most circumstances due to multiple issues yet can turn fights very one sided with the right approaches.

I'll just go right on ahead and say the weapon is misunderstood and require different mindsets that nobody really wants to be accustomed to. (Dare I say "skill".)

Edited by Shao.7236
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 7/4/2021 at 5:51 AM, Shao.7236 said:

I could say the same thing about Hammer Rev, extremely unreliable in most circumstances due to multiple issues yet can turn fights very one sided with the right approaches.

I'll just go right on ahead and say the weapon is misunderstood and require different mindsets that nobody really wants to be accustomed to. (Dare I say "skill".)

2020 Feb patch pretty much took that away, though, as could be seen in the immediate developments of the meta that ensued.

We've been slowly getting some re-compensation, though, but the days of hard-hitting setup combinations and skills are largely over.

On 7/3/2021 at 10:51 PM, Shao.7236 said:

But it isn't strong,

Vault takes 3/4 seconds start up time and 6 init for a damage output almost identical to backstab. and it's interruptible. 

Having a weapon that has multiple use conditions to achieve the same damage output as a weapon that also has more utility isn't good design. It requires skill to use, sure; but it doesn't reward the skill investment. 

Staff on thief should be good at something else. It's just more expensive to use init wise, riskier to fight with, and harder to land in most scenarios you would encounter in pvp. Either the damage for landing it needs to be improved conditionally (EX: it does more damage to someone suffering from any cc), it needs to be 1-2 init cheaper, or the evasion window needs to last for the entirety of the animation until the thief touches the ground. 

On 7/3/2021 at 10:39 PM, aaron.7850 said:

I am talking about the leap attacks, Vault and Bounding Dodger.

Perhaps increase the area radius? Its not like Daredevil staff is strong or anything.

Vault yes, Bounding no. If you want to land bounding on someone you can swipe to snap to them before you land. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

But it isn't strong,

Vault takes 3/4 seconds start up time and 6 init for a damage output almost identical to backstab. and it's interruptible. 

Having a weapon that has multiple use conditions to achieve the same damage output as a weapon that also has more utility isn't good design. It requires skill to use, sure; but it doesn't reward the skill investment. 

Staff on thief should be good at something else. It's just more expensive to use init wise, riskier to fight with, and harder to land in most scenarios you would encounter in pvp. Either the damage for landing it needs to be improved conditionally (EX: it does more damage to someone suffering from any cc), it needs to be 1-2 init cheaper, or the evasion window needs to last for the entirety of the animation until the thief touches the ground. 

Vault yes, Bounding no. If you want to land bounding on someone you can swipe to snap to them before you land. 

How about we don't introduce more evade frames to thief. It's unfun as is. If every other class can manage to land their abilities while not having the ability to keep up with foes, so can thief. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Math.5123 said:

How about we don't introduce more evade frames to thief. It's unfun as is. If every other class can manage to land their abilities while not having the ability to keep up with foes, so can thief. 

I'm really curious, does these people don't play this game at all or play some special edition of gw2 that everything is super weak and needs buffs in their minds.
Teef is already overloaded with either stealth or evade and ofcourse they have quite high mobility tied in pretty much every build, yet they still complain that it's not enough. Complaining about Vault being weak is kinda kekwhat? It hits hard and it have evade with such small window to interact that only very few skills will interrupt it on it's cast time or like 3-4 skills will touch them on their evade frame, which is rare af.
Don't forget about their staff AA being able to reflect projectiles, cause why not...

1 hour ago, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

I'm really curious, does these people don't play this game at all or play some special edition of gw2 that everything is super weak and needs buffs in their minds.
Teef is already overloaded with either stealth or evade and ofcourse they have quite high mobility tied in pretty much every build, yet they still complain that it's not enough. Complaining about Vault being weak is kinda kekwhat? It hits hard and it have evade with such small window to interact that only very few skills will interrupt it on it's cast time or like 3-4 skills will touch them on their evade frame, which is rare af.
Don't forget about their staff AA being able to reflect projectiles, cause why not...

I mean, I'm not saying staff is in a good spot. Cause it's not. But introducing more evade frames to side-noders is not the way to buff it. 

From the top of my head, introducing a minor trait in DrD that gives vitality when wielding a staff allowing them to go demo amulet might be one way to buff it without making it stupid to fight. I'm really not a fan of thief and is incredibly biased against it. So I'm probably not the right person to give advice on how to buff it. 

10 hours ago, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

Sure, I'll bite. 

It hits hard

Sure. It also requires the thief to aim a 180 radius targeting reticule onto an enemy mid fight and commit their character to that location, and costs half of their base initiative to use. Enemies can walk out of that circle. It requires you to aim where you think they are going to be to hit consistently, and costs too much initiative for that gamble when backstab offers the same damage for none of those issues.There's a reason nobody's playing staff daredevil.

The damage here is inconsequential. I would be fine with halving that damage if the skill itself was easier to land or cheaper to use. The way it stands now, the weapon is as unpleasant to use as you seem to think it is to fight. 

It takes them a whole second of autoing someone with no reflection in order for them to reflect projectiles for one second, and the animation and conditions for the auto chain are obvious. if you get something reflected because you let a thief complete an auto chain on you with staff and you didnt think to stow (or, alternatively, murder them for autoing you), that isn't the thief's fault.

very few skills will interrupt it on it's cast time or like 3-4 skills will touch them on their evade frame, which is rare af.

Any skill that hits the thief at the apex of vault's jump or after will go through. The moment you see them vault, any skill used will usually deal damage to/interrupt them before they are released from animation lock, in addition to wards, traps, marks,  and other AOEs. 

9 hours ago, Math.5123 said:

I mean, I'm not saying staff is in a good spot. Cause it's not. But introducing more evade frames to side-noders is not the way to buff it. 

From the top of my head, introducing a minor trait in DrD that gives vitality when wielding a staff allowing them to go demo amulet might be one way to buff it without making it stupid to fight. I'm really not a fan of thief and is incredibly biased against it. So I'm probably not the right person to give advice on how to buff it. 

Do you see thief sidenoding at all? We're still decap duty, only worse because shortbow port costs 8 init now.

Doesn't have to be evade frames. I'll take a cheaper init, or more damage conditionally as stated above. Anything that makes the weapon less obnoxious to use. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Sure, I'll bite. 

Sure. It also requires the thief to aim a 180 radius targeting reticule onto an enemy mid fight and commit their character to that location, and costs half of their base initiative to use. Enemies can walk out of that circle. It requires you to aim where you think they are going to be to hit consistently, and costs too much initiative for that gamble when backstab offers the same damage for none of those issues.There's a reason nobody's playing staff daredevil.

The damage here is inconsequential. I would be fine with halving that damage if the skill itself was easier to land or cheaper to use. The way it stands now, the weapon is as unpleasant to use as you seem to think it is to fight. 

It takes them a whole second of autoing someone with no reflection in order for them to reflect projectiles for one second, and the animation and conditions for the auto chain are obvious. if you get something reflected because you let a thief complete an auto chain on you with staff and you didnt think to stow (or, alternatively, murder them for autoing you), that isn't the thief's fault.

Any skill that hits the thief at the apex of vault's jump or after will go through. The moment you see them vault, any skill used will usually deal damage to/interrupt them before they are released from animation lock, in addition to wards, traps, marks,  and other AOEs. 

Do you see thief sidenoding at all? We're still decap duty, only worse because shortbow port costs 8 init now.

Doesn't have to be evade frames. I'll take a cheaper init, or more damage conditionally as stated above. Anything that makes the weapon less obnoxious to use. 

Reducing the initiative will increase the amount of evade frames. Thief should never have a viable duelist build as long as shadowstep and shortbow allows them to disengage and let them pick and choose every fight. 

Unless you can force thief to not take shortbow,I can't see them having a duelist build. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Math.5123 said:

Unless you can force thief to not take shortbow, I can't see them having a duelist build. 

I mean

The only reason I'm advocating for this is so that potentially thieves create less obnoxious playstyles. Good thieves are going to duel in spite of staff not being useful/shortbow being available. Staff being viable won't magically turn thieves into nightmares, especially if they supplement with shortbow for disengage. All you have at that point is a more visible thief. 

D/P it is, though~