Canthan language?

2 minutes ago, Tseison.4659 said:

It’s pretty obvious they’re targeting the Asian crowd (which is not an issue for me, being half) but still, I hope this is not some sort of fetishizing and wonder why they didn’t bother to put any effort in the final battle for Jormag and Primor. But anyways….still excited to see what the trailer and EoD has to offer since Factions was my very first game that I played years ago. 

I havent even played GW but uh isnt Cantha stereotypical Asian?

20 minutes ago, Tseison.4659 said:

It’s pretty obvious they’re targeting the Asian crowd (which is not an issue for me, being half) but still, I hope this is not some sort of fetishizing and wonder why they didn’t bother to put any effort in the final battle for Jormag and Primor. But anyways….still excited to see what the trailer and EoD has to offer since Factions was my very first game that I played years ago. 

That's an odd take, its a bit like saying "they're making Cantha to target the Asian crowd".

• Confused 1

As an example, Star Trek developed written/spoken Klingon from scratch.  It added a lot of depth to Klingon interactions in that world.

It's about adding flavor to the fantasy realm.  Instead of just using slang or accents. 

Edited by keenedge.9675

28 minutes ago, keenedge.9675 said:

As an example, Star Trek developed written/spoken Klingon from scratch.  It added a lot of depth to Klingon interactions in that world.

It's about adding flavor to the fantasy realm.  Instead of just using slang or accents. 

Theres so many languages out there brought to life from fiction..

LOTR has a few, Sindarian and Quenya are just two, i think they have an Orc language too.

Dothraki from Game of Thrones.

Valyrian from Game of Thrones(high and old).

Nadsat from Clockwork Orange.

Huttese from Starwars

and Lapine from Watership down.

Im sure theres more out there besides the above  too

22 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I think because the studio/Devs care about the little things in the Tyrian universe.

Without a language there's nothing to appear on signs, books, labels, etc.

Why should the quality of the franchise diminish with time?

If we start speaking of equity and caring, then, Charrs scratches symbols or Asuran script or even norn language (no written language whereas it exists, see wiki) would had a biggest Impact on the playing experience. 

I'm tired of let's only focus on humans. I'm sick of seeing only armors and skins fitting preferably humans or a story that revolve around humans.

Will agree on the fact they created several drawn or written languages for tyria races: jotun, grawl, dwarf, mursaat, exalted.... but nunoch and itzel it is a mastery we don't really see how they speak, but I suppose, frogs. *grebett *grebett

(Don't count how many humans ones we have... ascalonian, elonian, ancient elonian, old canthan, old kurzick, old krytan....)

Whereas asuran script don't even have asuran numbers nor proper ponctuation. 

For charrs it's poor too, only few iddograms whereas we went to grothmar valley and drizzlewood. We don't know all of them.

It is all or nothing for equity.

There are a lot of developpements and little of things for EOD because they know how vital this expansion is, and I can only encourage them doing so.

It is a nice and interesting blog post.

And I hope there will be a diversity of signs. And texts. Because asuran script... it's the same text copy pasted on all consoles and displays...

If the tyria world is important thing, they would have added signs and papers, even book or displays around core tyria to decipher. There are none in 8 years. Apart... new krytan! Human. 

There are little things, like the very cool ambiant dialogues, nice events, little hidden spots. But texts to translate isn't a thing.

And it's a path I encourage devs to follow, and even for non humans.

Edited by hugo.4705

23 hours ago, Neftex.7594 said:

Am i the only one wondering why theres so much effort put into making of an imaginary new language? What is the target audience of this feature? Theres maybe like 10 people worldwide that care about this. Isnt there something more important for the game they can be focusing on?

im referring to this btw: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/designing-the-canthan-written-language/

Did you interview all 10 people? 

This ain't fortnite, lore is important in the GW universe.  

58 minutes ago, hugo.4705 said:

If we start speaking of equity and caring, then, Charrs scratches symbols or Asuran script or even norn language (no written language whereas it exists, see wiki) would had a biggest Impact on the playing experience. 

I'm tired of let's only focus on humans. I'm sick of seeing only armors and skins fitting preferably humans or a story that revolve around humans.

Will agree on the fact they created several drawn or written languages for tyria races: jotun, grawl, dwarf, mursaat, exalted.... but nunoch and itzel it is a mastery we don't really see how they speak, but I suppose, frogs. *grebett *grebett

(Don't count how many humans ones we have... ascalonian, elonian, ancient elonian, old canthan, old kurzick, old krytan....)

Whereas asuran script don't even have asuran numbers nor proper ponctuation. 

For charrs it's poor too, only few iddograms whereas we went to grothmar valley and drizzlewood. We don't know all of them.

It is all or nothing for equity.

There are a lot of developpements and little of things for EOD because they know how vital this expansion is, and I can only encourage them doing so.

It is a nice and interesting blog post.

And I hope there will be a diversity of signs. And texts. Because asuran script... it's the same text copy pasted on all consoles and displays...

If the tyria world is important thing, they would have added signs and papers, even book or displays around core tyria to decipher. There are none in 8 years. Apart... new krytan! Human. 

There are little things, like the very cool ambiant dialogues, nice events, little hidden spots. But texts to translate isn't a thing.

And it's a path I encourage devs to follow, and even for non humans.

Most of those human languages you listed are in the same state as the ones for other races: we have examples of a few spoken words or blocks of untranslatable symbols which pass for text, but that's it. Canthan (called 'old Canthan' in GW1 even though there was no 'new Canthan' because they'd adopted the common tongue) is actually the exception in having both a developed alphabet which is not just a 1:1 substitution for English and a fairly long list of known words.

Ascalonian and Krytan have an alphabet but no language to go with it, it's just English using different letters (arguably this is good because it makes it easy to translate, but it's not as creative). Both Elonian and Ancient Elonian have just 1-2 textures with a bunch of symbols designed to give the appearence of writing when they're overlaid on objects, but it doesn't mean anything and if you look closely it's exactly the same design (same symbols in the same order) and over over, the same as the Asuran script.

Old Kurzick gets a grand total of 4 spoken lines (20 words) in GW1, all of which are just words from real-world languages jumbled together. We've never seen any examples of the written form, if there is one.

By comparision we actually know quite a bit about the charr language, with several symbols and words appearing in both GW1 and GW2. We never hear someone speaking the charr language exclusively, but we get a lot of examples of their words, like fahrar, Khan-Ur etc.

Yes it would be nice if Anet could develop a full language for each of the cultures in the games, but it's highly unlikely they'll ever have the time to do that. It seems like (apart from Canthan) they develop them as-needed with just the bits which will actually be relevant appearing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 7/22/2021 at 1:32 PM, Neftex.7594 said:

Am i the only one wondering why theres so much effort put into making of an imaginary new language? What is the target audience of this feature? Theres maybe like 10 people worldwide that care about this. Isnt there something more important for the game they can be focusing on?

im referring to this btw: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/designing-the-canthan-written-language/

I don't think we should discourage the Devs from volunteering their time to add more immersion content to the game.  It's not like it's taking time from their assigned work.

• Like 1