More Story like Confessor's End Please

6 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Just got done replaying Confessor's End, and man did I forget how much I loved that story mission.

I loved the fights and the story. I loved Canach's witty repertoire throughout the mission, especially the scene with the commander in the bedroom.

Please Anet, let there be more like that in EoD.

This is personal subjective. I have a completely different opinion. So if you like this story, you can play it over and over again. I do not. You can keep that enjoyment to yourself. Thank you

Edited by VanWilder.6923
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

As with all things, enjoyment of story is highly subjective. Which doesn't mean that a well written story will have no effect how many enjoy it versus a not so well written one.

That said I agree, I had played Season 3 multiple times in the past, but it has been a while. The same goes for Season 2. I did enjoy playing through the recent episodes if only to get re-accustomed with some of the lore.

Personally I think it comes down to more relatable and graspable issues and stakes. Corrupt politicians (no surprise there), power struggles in the upper echelons, distrust in the ruling elite, subterfuge and betrayal, etc. (I'm oversimplifying the story) are all far more relatable than some near omniscient being doing "stuff". It also keeps the story more grounded. Nothing worse than having to up the stakes with every new threat just to keep things interesting (see the current WoW story, everything included from evil space demons to power struggles in the after live, it's hilariously bad imo).

Edited by Cyninja.2954

idk.. the fighting space for the last boss was so less and lot of aoe dmg. I easily smashed thru caudecus with soulbeast, reaper, condi firebrand, deadeye and holosmith but for some weird reason, my condi mirage had a hard time dealing with the situation... got downed 3-4 times and canach had to rezz me and the boss often cc's the ally npcs... couldnt kite the boss in that crammed space and he often attacks me rather than my clones.... maybe its bcoz of the fact im not efficient with my axe mirage that I copied from snowcrows idk... did any other mesmer player felt it a lil bit annoying? the boss fight? think I shdve switched to power chrono and stayed at a distance. I havent started the story with my ele... im sure elementalist players would have a hard time dealing with that boss fight

apart from the fight, canach sure was funny .. I love whenever canch is involved in a story... and i expected rytlock to be there too and how he would react to the charr jokes caudecus poses in his super ego circular room puzzle

Edited by Crystal Paladin.3871

Really hope the narrative team takes another look at old Canach. His sass is/was really fun.

The newest dragon response mission episode did not quite catch that. I know the voice actor changed, but I am sure a voice talent like Matthew Mercer can adapt the character to be more like the original version spoken by John DiMaggio, if given the lines for it.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

As with all things, enjoyment of story is highly subjective. Which doesn't mean that a well written story will have no effect how many enjoy it versus a not so well written one.

That said I agree, I had played Season 3 multiple times in the past, but it has been a while. The same goes for Season 2. I did enjoy playing through the recent episodes if only to get re-accustomed with some of the lore.

Personally I think it comes down to more relatable and graspable issues and stakes. Corrupt politicians (no surprise there), power struggles in the upper echelons, distrust in the ruling elite, subterfuge and betrayal, etc. (I'm oversimplifying the story) are all far more relatable than some near omniscient being doing "stuff". It also keeps the story more grounded. Nothing worse than having to up the stakes with every new threat just to keep things interesting (see the current WoW story, everything included from evil space demons to power struggles in the after live, it's hilariously bad imo).

C'mon, really? Criticising another game's absurd story? Have you taken a good look at LW3 as a whole, or PoF for that matter?

Doom is space demons. Space demons are the shiznit.

GW2 is "wow, this first GW games sure had a bunch of interesting plot threads. How can we get rid of them quickly?"

The writers just aren't capable of interesting, engaging, or most far fetched of all: realistic political plotlines. The required suspension of disbelief for the story is just impossible to maintain.

• Confused 4

Odd these are the things you call out as deserving of praise.  I like the mission too, but for completely different reasons.  The continuity acknowledgements as characters question what's happening and the commander explains things they've seen during the dungeon paths (Yes, I'm familiar with this back entrance.  Yea, I totally blew the wall in the stable open, weird they didn't repair that) or the profession-specific mechanics with the turrets, the hound, and the skeletons.  If we're going to praise the mission, that's what I'd call out. 

Just goes to show you what different people value, I guess.  Clearly this one did something right though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LSD.4673 said:

C'mon, really? Criticising another game's absurd story? Have you taken a good look at LW3 as a whole, or PoF for that matter?

Doom is space demons. Space demons are the shiznit.

GW2 is "wow, this first GW games sure had a bunch of interesting plot threads. How can we get rid of them quickly?"

The writers just aren't capable of interesting, engaging, or most far fetched of all: realistic political plotlines. The required suspension of disbelief for the story is just impossible to maintain.

You seem to have missed the point I was trying to make. It being that this constant necessity to up the stakes to keep things relevant can lead to absurd narrative paths. I took WoW's story as an example because that's where that game had headed. I might have just as well used Dragon Ball Z as example, where the hilariousness was just as extreme with having to move to the next big thing to keep the stakes interesting (which says nothing about me liking or disliking DBZ. I quit enjoyed it when I was 12-14).

The fact I find the story and narration in WoW absurd and far below where it once was is actually beside the point. I already made mention of the fact that story and liking of it is subjective.

If you enjoy space demons and ominous jailers and wildly shifting and re-shifting protagonists (now Thrall is here, now he is there, now Jaina is bad, now she is good, yadda yadda) you are welcome to enjoy the current and last few years of WoW story. I do not judge.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StAllerdyce.3941 said:

Odd these are the things you call out as deserving of praise.  I like the mission too, but for completely different reasons.  The continuity acknowledgements as characters question what's happening and the commander explains things they've seen during the dungeon paths (Yes, I'm familiar with this back entrance.  Yea, I totally blew the wall in the stable open, weird they didn't repair that) or the profession-specific mechanics with the turrets, the hound, and the skeletons.  If we're going to praise the mission, that's what I'd call out. 

Just goes to show you what different people value, I guess.  Clearly this one did something right though.

Those were things that I liked as well. This really is one of their better done missions.

8 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Canach makes it for me, but overall it's quite fun.  Not to mention now have a very grumpy cat hanging out in my personal instance.

I always wanted that cat in my home but never really wanted to replay the story part to get it.

Well, now with the "return to" achievements, i have a reason and i appreciate that. 🙂

Now if i can only make that stupid JP for the blue catmander... 🙄

• Like 2

Like the vast majority of story missions, I found this awful. Too many CC spams on the player is annoying. Too much visual clutter and particle effects makes it impossible see dangerous moves. I just watch videos while doing these story missions because they’re so boring.

• Like 2