Irrelevant Hot Take

ywhl.8592

I have mentioned elsewhere that my own approach is to use transliterations of words from ancient languages and then add a surname. However, there are other similar options. There are quite a few constructed languages that can be drawn from in conjunction with a surname to come up with a very wide potential array of names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_constructed_languages#J._R._R._Tolkien

Cheers! 

Just now, Moira Shalaar.5620 said:

I have mentioned elsewhere that my own approach is to use transliterations of words from ancient languages and then add a surname. However, there are other similar options. There are quite a few constructed languages that can be drawn from in conjunction with a surname to come up with a very wide potential array of names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_constructed_languages#J._R._R._Tolkien

Cheers! 

If aimed at me, i was being sarcastic as hell xD

1 hour ago, Dante.1763 said:

If aimed at me, i was being sarcastic as hell xD

Nope, my post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, so much as offering simple solutions to those who struggle to figure out a unique name for new characters. But I do appreciate sarcasm 🙂

**EDIT - hah, I posted from work and hadn't paid attention too much to where I stopped on the wikipedia page and its connection to your comment. I can see how you got the impression I might have been replying to you, but honest, I really wasn't. I just 
wasn't paying that much attention. 😄

Edited by Moira Shalaar.5620
clarification
  • Haha 1

Strongly opposed to losing names for inactivity.

I am however in favor of repeated names.

That said, this isn't a great topic to push for 'Player choice' or 'freedom' since players are on both sides and no matter what action is taken some players will benefit while others lose out. I would argue the loss of seeing someone else with your name is probably less than that of not getting your preferred names, except in extreme cases where someone clones your character in an attempt to harass or impersonate. There would likely become a greater emphasis on account names over character names which could also pose some problems because (afaik) the policy on changing your account display name is rather strict.

1 hour ago, Glacial.9516 said:

Strongly opposed to losing names for inactivity.

I am however in favor of repeated names.

That said, this isn't a great topic to push for 'Player choice' or 'freedom' since players are on both sides and no matter what action is taken some players will benefit while others lose out. I would argue the loss of seeing someone else with your name is probably less than that of not getting your preferred names, except in extreme cases where someone clones your character in an attempt to harass or impersonate. There would likely become a greater emphasis on account names over character names which could also pose some problems because (afaik) the policy on changing your account display name is rather strict.

FYI, Cryptic does it like this: anywhere your character name appears (e.g., chat), it looks like Character Name @accountname.  So, my Ele would be Blue of the Heavens @IndigoSundown.5419.

I made my three beta test characters today, with decent names I'd be willing to keep for later play including RP.  The only one that was taken was the googled translation of "Singer" into Gaelic.  So I checked for the translation of Three Daggers, and daggers was close in appearance to singer, so I truncated the singer word, mashed it to the three word, and had a single-name sylvari ready to go.

My charr harbinger got a variation on Beta and a warband-style last name reflecting the new elite.  First try, name got.  My norn willbender got a short first name starting with B and a last name referencing the elite.  First try, name got.  It really wasn't hard, even with a veritable flood of players making characters with names referencing the beta.

I'm not listing the exact names because sometimes I like them enough to make later.  Otoh I think it was *years* after a beta that I decided to make my asura berserker using her name from that beta (Bettni) and it was still available and I think is a fine Asura name.

So no, I do not agree that names people came up with in the past should be stripped from them so one lucky winner can pounce the name.  Even working to stay inside lore guidelines there are plenty of creative, plausible names available.  No need to ruin someone else's character for the sake of a new player.  (I have noted some in this thread saying it's silly to be attached to a name as part of a character and returning players can just pick something new if they were gone long enough to lose it.  Well, could be, but if you think it's silly then you really don't have any driving need to have that particular name, do you?  No reason you need to be all attached to having it for yourself).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have no problem creating new names. Sometimes it might take a couple of attempts. I usually pick a last name and play around with the first name to find a free one. It would be a major problem if they expired names based on inactivity. That would be majorly bad for players who leave and come back. Here are some example scenarios where someone might not be able to login:

•     Military person is deployed
  •     Extended trip or scientific expedition
  •     Lost job and homeless for an extended amount of time.

Expiring names due to inactivity is an absolutely horrible idea.

Edited by Tekoneiric.6817
update
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 8/13/2021 at 8:06 AM, AgentMoore.9453 said:

There have been threads like this in the past which were met with a sharp no. New players are not entitled to take things from the players that came before them, and the status of their account (paid, free, active, intermittently active, inactive) does not change that. Case in point, if someone buys a summer cottage and doesn't use it for part of the year (or ever), that doesn't mean someone else can buy it away from them because 'they weren't using it'.

I've played games that allowed you to reuse names (because each account had a unique handle), and while that could solve some of OP's issues here in GW2, it would require a robust reporting system for those who would abuse the ability to reuse names for the purpose of harassing others and defaming groups/individuals. This is actually something that already happens with guild tags (or even full guild names) and I've seen how hard it already is for people to report and litigate those situations with support.

So sure, suggest ways to improve the system we have, just don't approach it from the view that you're entitled to take from someone else. Because you're not.

Its more like the owner of said summer cottage lets that cottage go derelict and it falls down. Then the city, township, county, ect. whatever it be repurposes the mailing address to a valid property that would make actual use of it. The owner of said cottage still holds that neglected property, but he's not entitled to forever hold it's street/road address under any and all conditions.

That's not a perfect comparison either but its way closer than your really bad analogy. Unlike real tangible property like the summer cottage, nobody "owns" anything in an online video game. Anet owns it all and allows us to use it in whatever capacity they deem fit, just like your local authority decides what your street address is.

The ToS makes all of this really clear between sections 1.3.2-1.4.5. You own nothing, you're owed nothing, nothing about the service including the service itself is guaranteed, everything is subject to change. There's even a clause in there that says they can at their discretion make improvements or modifications to the service, charge you for it, and terminate your account if you don't pay. Not saying they would do that, but they reserve the right to.

My personal recent experience with character naming is that all reasonable single word names I could think of wanting were taken. So I give all my characters first and last names like "Clovis Clawshot." One first last name combo was taken when I tried to name a sylvari after the first and last names of two different plant species.

So I get what the OP is saying, but think 18 months could be more like 3 years in a 10 year old game. I don't think its unreasonable for someone to have to rename their characters after not logging in for more than 36 months. I think its more unreasonable to approach this topic from the view that someone is entitled to forever have a hold on character names in an online game they haven't played for that kind of extended period of time.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

The derelict property is a poor analogy, because in that case, the house on that property is no longer usable, and would need to get rebuilt (at which point, changing the address may not cause too many issues).  A better analogy would an empty house that is still completely livable, taxes paid for, etc - having the address change on that would be annoying.

I also wonder if the time period was 3 years of inactivity, how many names would really be recycled - sure, there are some number of players who have died and thus will never return to the game.  And there may be some number of people who have not played in 3 years and never plan on returning.  But I'm also thinking that the percentage of those users would be quite small, such that it would not help name availability that much.

I took a break from GW2 for a while - I don't remember the exact duration, but if there was danger of me losing account names, I probably would have made sure I logged in every once in a while just to make sure that wouldn't happen.  So even if one looked at that data right now, that may not give a fair representation of how many accounts really would be idle for 3 years.

10 minutes ago, Solvar.7953 said:

The derelict property is a poor analogy, because in that case, the house on that property is no longer usable, and would need to get rebuilt (at which point, changing the address may not cause too many issues).  A better analogy would an empty house that is still completely livable, taxes paid for, etc - having the address change on that would be annoying.

I also wonder if the time period was 3 years of inactivity, how many names would really be recycled - sure, there are some number of players who have died and thus will never return to the game.  And there may be some number of people who have not played in 3 years and never plan on returning.  But I'm also thinking that the percentage of those users would be quite small, such that it would not help name availability that much.

I took a break from GW2 for a while - I don't remember the exact duration, but if there was danger of me losing account names, I probably would have made sure I logged in every once in a while just to make sure that wouldn't happen.  So even if one looked at that data right now, that may not give a fair representation of how many accounts really would be idle for 3 years.

Like I said, my comparison isn't perfect but its a lot better than outright comparing a character name in an online game to owning a summer cottage... lol.. In reality it wouldn't be unreasonable for local authorities to declare a house condemned 3 years post abandonment in most cases.

I'm not a smart man but I'd reckon clearing out all the inactive names created over the first six years of the game would free up a lot of character name options regardless of those who would log in every once in a blue moon to hold them.

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Just made a Beta character; took only 3 tries (spelling variations) to get the name I wanted.

A guardian with the name - De Anne

Not sure what all the fuss is about, truly. 

I was thinking a beta test will be an interesting exploration of available names.

Although I wasn't trying for names I'd want to use at other times, or single word names. I made a harbinger called Totally Not Malyck and a willbender called Willard S Bender. I'd previously checked and Will Bender and William Bender were taken, but I didn't try anything else and have no idea why I threw a middle initial in there other than it sounded right in my head. I'm sure I could have gotten something shorter, including a one-word name with a bit of thought.

9 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I was thinking a beta test will be an interesting exploration of available names.

Although I wasn't trying for names I'd want to use at other times, or single word names. I made a harbinger called Totally Not Malyck and a willbender called Willard S Bender. I'd previously checked and Will Bender and William Bender were taken, but I didn't try anything else and have no idea why I threw a middle initial in there other than it sounded right in my head. I'm sure I could have gotten something shorter, including a one-word name with a bit of thought.

Literally every name i wanted was available first try >.>

Except for the names from shows. Which isnt original.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vlaxitov.9753 said:

So I get what the OP is saying, but think 18 months could be more like 3 years in a 10 year old game. I don't think its unreasonable for someone to have to rename their characters after not logging in for more than 36 months. I think its more unreasonable to approach this topic from the view that someone is entitled to forever have a hold on character names in an online game they haven't played for that kind of extended period of time.

It has nothing to do with entitlement. 

7 hours ago, Vlaxitov.9753 said:

I think its reasonable as is. I wasnt able to login for 2 years, would have been 3 if we had gone on another deployment. Sure its an odd case, but i still would be livid and angry if my names got deleted and given to someone else.

Extend the character limit, allow more symbols/special characters, but a big ol negative to resetting or deleting names due to any kind of inactivity.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Did you even bother reading the post I was responding to? They said don't approach this topic from the view that anyone is "entitled" to use their character name in an online game regardless of how long its been since they've played it. That their character names are the equivalent of owning property in the real world. If thinking you should have an infinite reserve on character names in an online game regardless of how long your account lays dormant has nothing to do with entitlement I don't know what does.

I get it, my opinion on this isn't popular among the group here discussing it. I just don't think its rational to strongly oppose putting at least some kind of time stipulation on character name reserves in an online game that has had almost ten years of character creation. Lets make it 5 years, if you haven't logged in for 5 years you lose reserves on your character names once someone else tries to make a character with that same name. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Edited by Vlaxitov.9753
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Vlaxitov.9753 said:

Did you even bother reading the post I was responding to? They said don't approach this topic from the view that anyone is "entitled" to use their character name in an online game regardless of how long its been since they've played it. That their character names are the equivalent of owning property in the real world. If thinking you should have an infinite reserve on character names in an online game regardless of how long your account lays dormant has nothing to do with entitlement I don't know what does.

I get it, my opinion on this isn't popular among the group here discussing it. I just don't think its rational to strongly oppose putting at least some kind of time stipulation on character name reserves in an online game that has had almost ten years of character creation. Lets make it 5 years, if you haven't logged in for 5 years you lose reserves on your character names once someone else tries to make a character with that same name. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Why make it 5 years?  What's wrong with 3?  Or why not even 1?  Once started down this path, the demands will only increase.  5 years may seem reasonable for you but haven't we already seen a suggestion here for 18 months?

As for entitlement, to me it seems that some who are promoting this topic feel entitled to have names that other have already chosen regardless of how long the account may be dormant.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dante.1763 said:

I think its reasonable as is. I wasnt able to login for 2 years, would have been 3 if we had gone on another deployment. Sure its an odd case, but i still would be livid and angry if my names got deleted and given to someone else.

Extend the character limit, allow more symbols/special characters, but a big ol negative to resetting or deleting names due to any kind of inactivity.

I already see a lot of really horrible immersion breaking names in game all the time, extending the character limit and adding symbols would only make it worse. You just said in a post previous to this that its super easy for you to make names you want. Renaming your characters would be that big a deal after you haven't played for over three years? You'd be livid over it?

As I said in my previous post, lets make it five years. Lets agree to some kind of time stipulation on character name reserves in an online game that has had almost ten years of character creation. I think the only reason this issue hasn't been literally forced at this point is we're already allowed to make names like "Carlton S W C N Esquire" or "I like to slow dance."

• Confused 3

14 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Why make it 5 years?  What's wrong with 3?  Or why not even 1?  Once started down this path, the demands will only increase.  5 years may seem reasonable for you but haven't we already seen a suggestion here for 18 months?

As for entitlement, to me it seems that some who are promoting this topic feel entitled to have names that other have already chosen regardless of how long the account may be dormant.

I see some people trying to nay say this topic that feel entitled to an infinite reserve on character names in an online game even if they were to chose to never play it again, "regardless of how long the account is dormant."

Oh yeah if we start with 5 years demand will eventually push it down a slippery slope to like 5 days right?

The game has had almost ten years of character creation. That's ten years of inactive character name bloat.

How is it unreasonable to ask for some kind of time stipulation on character name reserves at this point?

Edited by Vlaxitov.9753

The comparison to houses is a strange one to me. I'm not sure about other counties but in the UK you can only claim abandoned property if it's also unregistered - meaning no owner can be identified (which is the equivalent of an unused and available name, but genuinely hard to find). If the local council or the government are concerned you're not maintaining a property (or they want the land for development) they can buy it, but in spite of being called 'compulsory purchase orders' they're not actually compulsory and it's entirely up to the owner to decide if they want to sell or not. (Also they're required to pay at least the market value for it.)

So an equivalent system for character names would be that if you want one which is already in use you can ask Anet to contact the person who has it, and if they agree to give up the name you can have it, but if they refuse or don't respond you don't get it. Which I think is very different to what some people want to see happen.

29 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

In the traditional sense of the word it does, in that an entitlement is something you can reasonably expect to have because you meet the requirements for it. For example I am entitled to be paid for my job, because my employer and I both agreed a contract which says they will pay me.

Likewise the contract we all accepted with Anet says we're entitled to choose a name for our characters and only says those will be revoked or that we will lose access to them if we break the terms of service (either specifically regarding the name or in general). Therefore anyone playing GW2 is entitled to keep the names they've chosen indefinitely. There is no requirement to log in regularly or do anything else in order to keep them, only that you don't break the rules.

(The way many people these days use 'entitlement' is to mean things which are not a reasonable entitlement - things you should have no reason to expect, which is almost the opposite of the actual meaning, but I can see how it's fallen into use as a sort of short-hand.)

• Thanks 5

16 minutes ago, Vlaxitov.9753 said:

I already see a lot of really horrible immersion breaking names in game all the time, extending the character limit and adding symbols would only make it worse. You just said in a post previous to this that its super easy for you to make names you want. Renaming your characters would be that big a deal after you haven't played for over three years? You'd be livid over it?

As I said in my previous post, lets make it five years. Lets agree to some kind of time stipulation on character name reserves in an online game that has had almost ten years of character creation. I think the only reason this issue hasn't been literally forced at this point is we're already allowed to make names like "Carlton S W C N Esquire" or "I like to slow dance."

What makes you think they didn't want that name to begin with? Not everyone has the same priorities you do.

Yesterday I made a beta test necromancer called 'Totally Not Malyck', which was the first named I tried, after spending a lot of time on his appearance to make sure it matched the name I had in mind. (In case anyone's not done that storyline there's a sylvari called Malyck who is given the title 'The Harbinger' during the story, who also happens to use pistols like the new harbinger specialisation does.) I didn't resort to a long and silly name because I couldn't find anything shorter or more appropriate, it's what I wanted all along. (It was the same when I threw a middle initial into my beta guardian's name, I didn't even check if it was available without that because including it looked right to me.)

My permanent characters usually have lore appropriate names (or at least ones which are near enough that they shouldn't stand out) but that certainly isn't my first silly character name and it won't be the last. It makes no sense at all to me to assume that because someone is using a name which doesn't meet your standards that means they couldn't get one you would like - it's far more likely your preferences weren't a consideration for them at all and still wouldn't be even if more names were available.

Finally I think it's important to consider that people are more likely to be attached to a name they've had for years than one they're in the process of making up. When I made my asuran guardian I couldn't get my first choice of name: Xixxi. So I changed it to Xexxi. That was years ago and although I don't play her often (I don't like guardians as much as other professions) I wouldn't change it now even if I could get Xixxi. When I was making her both were just some of many names I was considering, now that is her name and part of who she is and changing it would be weird.

• Like 4