SUGGESTION: PvE Reward Track for post maxed-mastery experience

raykor.6723

The WvW Reward Track system is fantastic. How about a PvE version?

As you all know, experience gained after all masteries are unlocked goes towards earning spirit shards. Not that useful for most of us.

How about having all the PvE experience going towards a PvE version of the reward track system.

The entire point of rewards tracks is to add PvE content rewards in to packages themed around specific play areas. Specifically because it is beyond anets resources to create as varied a set of playfields for the pvp modes.

The entire point of reward tracks is to mirror the idea of players choosing a type of content to play in terms of rewards gained it would be a pointless system in PvE as you're already choosing an area of content to play. Adding reward tracks would effectively remove any impetus to play specific content for specific rewards, and basically turn 90% of PvE in to a ghost town.

A better idea would be to simply expand the rewards purchasable with spirit shards so that we have more uses for that currency.

@PopeUrban.2578

By your logic, they should instead add WvW rewards to PvE gameplay. People who choose to WvW do so because they enjoy it. ANET did not have to add a system to WvW gameplay that grants PvE rewards but they did it anyway because it is a fun feature that people enjoy. I'm pretty sure most people would very much enjoy a similar reward track system in their PvE gameplay.

There is so much content and so many different rewards and currencies to collect in this game. Neither you nor I know what effect this would have on PvE zones but I sincerely doubt that having the ability to have just one reward track active at-a-time would have the dramatic effect you fear.

@raykor.6723 said:@PopeUrban.2578

By your logic, they should instead add WvW rewards to PvE gameplay. People who choose to WvW do so because they enjoy it. ANET did not have to add a system to WvW gameplay that grants PvE rewards but they did it anyway because it is a fun feature that people enjoy. I'm pretty sure most people would very much enjoy a similar reward track system in their PvE gameplay.

There is so much content and so many different rewards and currencies to collect in this game. Neither you nor I know what effect this would have on PvE zones but I sincerely doubt that having the ability to have just one reward track active at-a-time would have the dramatic effect you fear.

No, the entire point is that the majority of rewards in the game can be acquired regardless of game mode, but certain rewards are mode specific, and the pvp modes have far fewer maps as a function of much more strict design requirements for competitive play. That's why you still need to do PvE for certain rewards not available in reward tracks.

You guys are suggesting that ANET simply HAD to add the reward tracks to WvW and PvP so that players could earn "PvE stuff" while not doing PvE. Says who? There are no pre-defined rules in video games; they are whatever the developers decide they are.

Why does a PvP player NEED to earn tokens for a PvE dungeon while he is PvPing? He is not running that dungeon and earning those tokens. ANET added the system because they thought their players would enjoy it and they were right.

Perfectly fine if if you don't agree with my suggestion but implying that it simply HAD to be done in WvW, that it was a logic conclusion, even a requirement is ludicrous. ANET did it because they wanted to.

Your saying the reward track system in of it's self is a system that would help pve players. But unless they have good rewards the system does nothing. And good rewards for pve tracks would just more bloat to all the systems in place. It also furthers the gap in pve for getting items and gold compared to pvp/wvw players. Not saying a reward track system couldn't work but adding a new system to pve on top of what's there doesn't make things more equal it just widen's things further apart.

Now if you said instead of spirit shards for every xp bar loop, it mixed in other items and depending on the item it took more or less xp, that could be something worth doing without adding more system but just expanding what's already there.

@raykor.6723 said:The WvW Reward Track system is fantastic. How about a PvE version?

As you all know, experience gained after all masteries are unlocked goes towards earning spirit shards. Not that useful for most of us.

How about having all the PvE experience going towards a PvE version of the reward track system.

There already is a PvE reward track:

• There's a map bonus reward in every Vanilla Game map, which offers increasing benefits the more events you complete.
  • There are rewards from killing foes (which exist in PvE in far greater numbers than WvW), from completing events, and from all sorts of chests.
  • There rewards for instanced PvE are potentially among the best in the game.

The WvW & PvP reward tracks are attempts to bring some of those benefits to other game modes. It's possible they overtweaked dungeon skin acquisition (in my opinion, it's too easy to do in WvW & PvP compared to PvE), but generally speaking, overall rewards in PvE are far, far better than in PvP or WvW.

@PopeUrban.2578 said:

No, the entire point is that the majority of rewards in the game can be acquired regardless of game mode, but certain rewards are mode specific, and the pvp modes have far fewer maps as a function of much more strict design requirements for competitive play. That's why you still need to do PvE for certain rewards not available in reward tracks.

I'm sorry but I think you are mistaken. All game modes award coin and general gear loot but that's about it. You cannot earn fractal-specific rewards without running fractals. You cannot earn raid-specific rewards without running raids. You cannot earn dungeon-specific rewards without running those dungeons. You cannot earn zone-specific currencies without playing in this zones. You cannot earn WvW-specific rewards without playing WvW. You cannot earn structured PvP-specific rewards with out playing structured PvP. Where is this list of "majority rewards" that you believe can be earned in all game modes?

Your conclusion that the reward tracks simply HAD to be added to the WvW game mode seems to be based because there are fewer PvP zones makes no sense to me. They were not in WvW for years. I spent hundreds of hours in WvW at launch without the reward track system. Please point me to the golden game design rule that says if there are fewer zones in one game mode then that game mode must provide rewards from other game modes. There is exactly ONE zone for each dungeon and each of those dungeons provides only the rewards for that dungeon.

As fun as this discussion is, I'm off to work.

@raykor.6723 said:

@PopeUrban.2578 said:

I'm sorry but I think you are mistaken. All game modes award coin and general gear loot but that's about it. You cannot earn fractal-specific rewards without running fractals. You cannot earn raid-specific rewards without running raids. You cannot earn dungeon-specific rewards without running those dungeons. You cannot earn zone-specific currencies without playing in this zones. You cannot earn WvW-specific rewards without playing WvW. You cannot earn structured PvP-specific rewards with out playing structured PvP. Where is this list of "majority rewards" that you believe can be earned in all game modes?

Your conclusion that the reward tracks simply HAD to be added to the WvW game mode seems to be based because there are fewer PvP zones makes no sense to me. They were not in WvW for years. I spent hundreds of hours in WvW at launch without the reward track system. Please point me to the golden game design rule that says if there are fewer zones in one game mode then that game mode must provide rewards from other game modes. There is exactly ONE zone for each dungeon and each of those dungeons provides only the rewards for that dungeon.

As fun as this discussion is, I'm off to work.

Adding them to WvW and PvP makes sense because it would be a massive amount of workload to add a similar number of unique rewards to those modes using the same mechanism of conflating playfield with reward, especially considering the number of players frequenting those modes is in the overwhelming minority. The entire goal of reward tracks was to not underserve players that prefer not to PvE compared to players that enjoy it because it is a silly idea to allocate the resources required to offer the same diversity in reward selection to such a small number of players.

Reward tracks in PvE would simply be redundant. The entire point of PvE is going to specific maps or instances for specific rewards and the rewards are reflective of the content encountered. The entire point off WvW or PvP is playing the same map repeatedly against other players, and the rewards are a function of performance against the same content, which is other players.

@Hesacon.8735 said:Rewards tracks already exist in pve. They're called map bonuses and someone spent a lot of time on the wiki showing what maps drop what items during which weeks.

Wow sweet, someone in WvW gets a dungeon skin or an item needed to craft a legendary and I get a Tiny Fang. Neato.

@Jwake.7013 said:Reason for the reward tracks in pvp and wvw are cause we can't get the pve stuff in there. So I'd say no reason to have a reward track system in pve, however I will agree we need a sink(s) for all the spirit shards for end game. Have 10k, no reason/way to use'm.

I'd agree in that I was thinking along the lines of something more useful to spend spirit shards on would be fine, rather than a reward track.

I was initially thinking maybe we could change 1 spirit shard for 1 crafting mat bag or something. But thinking about it if people have 10k plus of them, this could screw the economy up (even more than it already is), as it would mean lots of players suddenly able to get instantly rich by converting spirit shards to mats, to gold. So lots getting instantly rich, while also killing mat prices even further.

So maybe a spirit shard sink would have to be account bound stuff only to avoid further breaking the economy / player wealth etc

Archived