Option to disable mount skins?

Inc.4753

Is there / could we get an option to disable seeing the new mount skins? GW2 is a beautiful game but truck sized sparkling pink glowing griffons really make it hard to take anything serious. So far the sparkly and out-of-place stuff like some legendary weapons and flashy armors were usually small enough to ignore but these things are getting a bit out of hand. Just displaying the plain old standard skins will do fine for me.

Addendum: Did a bit of toggling in the graphics options, and setting the Character Model Quality to 'lowest' will have to do for now. It will show other players in standard armor and mounts in basic skins, although it seems to me it applies a more grayish hue. Weapons seem to keep their own skin. NPCs and your own character will keep their own skins, although there is some quality loss. Not a perfect solution as it makes populated areas very boring but it beats the glow-galore option.

@SmirkDog.3160 said:I agree that there should be options to hide obnoxious things that may even cause performance problems for some people, but you know the people that just spent $120 USD to get all the skins will make a stink because they Worked So Hard to get them.

For what it's worth I've bought several things I know other players don't like including minis, gliders, outfits and made 2 legendaries and I'd be fine with other people being able to hide them. I don't care what you can see, I bought/made them for me to enjoy and as long as I can see them it doesn't matter what shows up on your end.

(I've not bought any mount skins yet but if I had the same would apply to those.)

I would've liked this for a while now. Especially for gliders.I'm not talking about taking people seriously or immersion or anything. That's not usually my problem. It's when groups are usually doing a meta, or a train, or one of those events where you have to chasing bosses or something and then I'm there with a normal glider or at least a "Quiet" skin, and then all in my face/screen is like sparkling or flaming or meteors or flickers of light making it really hard to see anything... especially myself and also can hurt my eyes with the flickering.

I don't have a seizure problem and flashing lights and random colours don't bother me, but to go from dim to bright to dim to bright like that does effect my eyes and I really don't like it.A simple option of "Hide skins of other players" would really be wonderful for me and I would completely support it. Simply so I can play the game better than dealing with eyesores...

Did a bit of toggling in the graphics options, and setting the Character Model Quality to 'lowest' will have to do for now. It will show other players in standard armor and mounts in basic skins, although it seems to me it applies a more grayish hue. Weapons seem to keep their own skin. NPCs and your own character will keep their own skins, although there is some quality loss.

@Inc.4753 said:Did a bit of toggling in the graphics options, and setting the Character Model Quality to 'lowest' will have to do for now. It will show other players in standard armor and mounts in basic skins, although it seems to me it applies a more grayish hue. Weapons seem to keep their own skin. NPCs and your own character will keep their own skins, although there is some quality loss.

Yeah, that's really not a good solution to this. A simple hide option should be a fair choice.Especially as I've heard from people that I know that HAS to play on lower quality at times now have the game looking darker than usual and I would rather not deal with that where I would have trouble seeing the game itself just because Mr. "I'm riding a pulsing meteor" have to glide right into my face.

On the one hand, I think this is much ado about nothing. On the other hand, if we're able to reduce auditory clutter by eliminating certain sounds, why not offer to reduce visual clutter, too?

The simplest thing would be to offer one or more forms of "standard models" as if available in the two competitive game modes:

• Standard player models: Identical to the WvW/PvP option
  • Standard mount models: replaces mount skins (on the client) to the basic ones.
  • Standard glider models: replaces all gliders with the basic one.
  • Remove special effects only: disables player auras from infusions/jewels/enrichments and (if possible) those attached to legendary weapons & armor.
  • Use standard models whenever miniatures are culled — this would allow us to see all the shinies most of the time, except during meta events and general zerg gameplay, which is when they can get in the way of seeing what's going on (and some PC's ability to actually render more than 5 FPS).

@"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:I would've liked this for a while now. Especially for gliders.

Yes, this is desperately needed, since the advent of that gigantic energy raven and the meteor. There have been times when I've fallen to my death during certain events because my entire screen was obscured by the former and nothing is more annoying that someone repeatedly slamming their huge meteor into you and tanking your frame rate while you're standing somewhere talking or doing something.

I think there are enough reasons (performance, immersion, obstruction, physical vision-related problems and other health issues, etc.) to add an option to use generic stand in models or disable the increasingly excessive visual spam from other players, especially in a game that has had an infamous problem with visual "clutter", even before the extravagance of these skins started to escalate.

If I can make other PC's fireballs smaller to reduce unneeded visual information, I should be able to do the same for much larger and far more obtrusive objects, like mounts and gliders.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@RavenRecoil.6103 said:I do not want that option.

Can't blame me for judging, but I would assume you're the ones that on purpose put on bright infusions, permafrost glowing aura armour and the same with the sparkling mounts and the geomancer glider, aren't you?If not, is there a reason why you don't want it?

I don't have any flashy armor. But I do not agree with people being able to turn off aura armor / mount skins. Show off that armor and mount.

Huh.

I just tested in game. ArenaNet already allows us to hide people's skins. I thought no one had bought the mount RNG boxes, but apparently I was hiding them and hadn't realized it.

You can hide people's mounts by doing the same thing we do to hide character models. It will display the basic mount skin.

A really nice gesture. Thanks, ArenaNet.

@Erasculio.2914 said:Huh.

I just tested in game. ArenaNet already allows us to hide people's skins. I thought no one had bought the mount RNG boxes, but apparently I was hiding them and hadn't realized it.

You can hide people's mounts by doing the same thing we do to hide character models. It will display the basic mount skin.

A really nice gesture. Thanks, ArenaNet.

Can you tell me what option it is to hide character models?

Archived