Axe damage buff is a trick to appease the warrior community.

Hitman.5829

"The axe enhancements in this update are intended to make sure that every skill can be a damage increase over autoattacking to properly position the axe as a damage weapon for warriors."

The iconic weapon for a warrior in any MMORPG game is the GREAT SWORD!If anything needed a damage buff for warrior is the GREAT SWORD!Let me fix your patch notes so that on the next patch you correct your mistake:

• The GREAT SWORD enhancements in this update are intended to make sure that every skill can be a damage increase over autoattacking to properly position the GREAT SWORD as a damage weapon for warriors."

With each passing year, I am starting to realize that Anet never intended warrior to be the typical warrior in MMORPGs, but instead they intended the warrior to be a brawler, a 1 vs 1 type of brawler. Either that, or they have incompetent developers!

@Hitman.5829 said:

The iconic weapon for a warrior in any MMORPG game is the GREAT SWORD!

According to who? I would argue that most MMORPG's show warrior-types as tanks with a One-handed Sword and a Shield. DAoC, WarHammer, WoW, Shadowbane, Everquest, etc. Even Dungeons and Dragons depicts fighters iconic style as Sword/Shield

@Turk.5460 said:

@Hitman.5829 said:

According to who? I would argue that most MMORPG's show warrior-types as tanks with a One-handed Sword and a Shield. DAoC, WarHammer, WoW, Shadowbane, Everquest, etc. Even Dungeons and Dragons depicts fighters iconic style as Sword/Shield

wow, people argue self evident facts. I am starting to think these forums are a place for others to just troll for fun.Games, movies, all of them portrait the warrior with a Great Sword or shield and main hand sword.No body will argue that unless he/she is a troll.

I don't get how it's a trick ... they fixed exactly what was wrong with it. Admittedly, I think it was weird they choose this time to do it, but it was stupid that other Axe effects lowered your damage over the auto. it was a glaring issue.

Personally, it's irrelevant whatever romantic idea you have about what a warrior should be or it's iconic weapon. Anet has been doing their thing the way they want to do it for 5 years now; I've seen no sacred cows when it comes to what 'should' be the way to do things. That argument is so weak, it's barely worth responding to.

@Hitman.5829 said:

@Turk.5460 said:

@Hitman.5829 said:

wow, people argue self evident facts. I am starting to think these forums are a place for others to just troll for fun.Games, movies, all of them portrait the warrior with a Great Sword or shield and main hand sword.No body will argue that unless he/she is a troll.

Axe looks very warrior too me..Sure gs can need some buff in pve. But that has nothing to do with axe (also gs is mobility also in this game)

@Hitman.5829 said:

@Turk.5460 said:

@Hitman.5829 said:

Well, you're wrong. Games - such as the most popular recent genre-related MMO's that I stated above - portray Warrior-types with Sword and Shield. Even non-MMO's like Skyrim - all advertisements show the warrior-like player-character with a sword and a shield.

Movies? Ok seriously? OK, lets go with movies. Movies generally don't consider types like GW2's warrior as a "Warrior." But more so as a Soldier. Which again, generally carries a Sword and a Shield. In almost every movie that shows a Plate or Chain-Mail wearing fighter, they are wielding a sword and shield. You know who wields "Greatswords" in movies? Barbarians - characters who wear very little armor, or lighter armor such as leather.

Look at all this logical information I've set upon you! But will you again ignore the evidence brought forth and continue to zealously proclaim your opinion as fact? You should be a Guardian main with all that zeal. :p

@Turk.5460 said:

@Hitman.5829 said:

@Turk.5460 said:

@Hitman.5829 said:

Well, you're wrong. Games - such as the most popular recent genre-related MMO's that I stated above - portray Warrior-types with Sword and Shield. Even non-MMO's like Skyrim - all advertisements show the warrior-like player-character with a sword and a shield.

Movies? Ok seriously? OK, lets go with movies. Movies generally don't consider types like GW2's warrior as a "Warrior." But more so as a Soldier. Which again, generally carries a Sword and a Shield. In almost every movie that shows a Plate or Chain-Mail wearing fighter, they are wielding a sword and shield. You know who wields "Greatswords" in movies? Barbarians - characters who wear very little armor, or lighter armor such as leather.

Look at all this logical information I've set upon you! But will you again ignore the evidence brought forth and continue to zealously proclaim your opinion as fact? You should be a Guardian main with all that zeal. :p

I have to agree. In fact, the first thing I tried to do as a warrior on GW2 was use sword and shield. Of course, that's a horrible DPS option in this game but I still do it sometimes for fun. If you want to feel like a god using a greatsword I'd honestly say go spend a bit of time on warframe. Make a greatsword and be a godlike cleaving machine.

Sword ?!

There is no way Power Warrior picking Sword after this continues buffing to Axe.

It's time Sword gets a buff, I mean even Flurry is still bugged, If not damage buffs then some utility...

No.2 Savage leap should get converted to an Ammo type skill.

Final thrust should get a base damage buff (not the minus 50%) also a lower cool down.

@Juba.8406 said:Sword ?!

There is no way Power Warrior picking Sword after this continues buffing to Axe.

It's time Sword gets a buff, I mean even Flurry is still bugged, If not damage buffs then some utility...

No.2 Savage leap should get converted to an Ammo type skill.

Final thrust should get a base damage buff (not the minus 50%) also a lower cool down.

agree sword need some love, final thrust at least need its cast time reduce to 1/2, it is extremely slow, look at dagger 4, it is 1/2 sec.

@Darkhydrox.8560 said:

@Turk.5460 said:

@Hitman.5829 said:

@Turk.5460 said:

@Hitman.5829 said:

I have to agree. In fact, the first thing I tried to do as a warrior on GW2 was use sword and shield. Of course, that's a horrible DPS option in this game but I still do it sometimes for fun. If you want to feel like a god using a greatsword I'd honestly say go spend a bit of time on warframe. Make a greatsword and be a godlike cleaving machine.

Oh same, that's what I used for World Completion on my Warrior. It was also very fun to roam a few years ago using Sw/Sh in Rabid stats!

@Turk.5460 said:

@Hitman.5829 said:

GS is used on Neverwinter, Titan Quest, Dragon Age Inquistion, Champion returno to arms.

U know guys, this is why war will stay as it is for long long time. Instead of actually contributing your thoughts about topic at hand, good war community somehow managed to get in argument about GS in modern media.I think you should go and learn from Ele community. They are insanely good at QQing any time balance team look at them, and for ages now they manage to get themself into every meta . While warrior community spent ages arguing for example how FC is op or not , Ele community worked well to hid all overturned traits/skills and focused to point out where they wish boost. And loads of QQ. Or lets leave eles, did anyone ever seen talk how distortion is seriously op for all game mods ? Well i wonder why.But ye u go ahead and argue if true warrior is using GS or hammer or dildo ....

@kiranslee.4829 said:QQing

The real problem of Warrior community is that we don't QQ enough, Anet Balance is driven by QQ.

Just look when a nerf hits Scourge for example, DEFCON 1 on forums and 3 reddit posts with over 100 up votes of QQ.

We always managed, OP or UP.

Through all these years its so clear that Anet can't accept Warrior to be on top, Every time when Warrior reaches the top it gets nerfed fast, Its like they wanted Warrior to be in the middle versatile but master of none.

I don't agree with the stance OP is taking as a whole but the fundamental issue of Greatsword being in a very poor spot is extremely apparent. It makes literally, no sense for a giant two handed sword to be anything less than power damage. It being mobility is a ridiculous sensibility. If anything, the two should be reversed. Axes should be meant for kiting and mobile gameplay, while Greatsword should be slower, but high damage. None of this, has to do with meta or raids or nonsense. It ultimately comes down to how they play in general, and there's no mistaking that Greatsword is not in a good place. While it might have mobile abilities, it has very little control making its damage capability much weaker than other weapons.

That being said, Axe buffing is rather welcome and it might open a new line of gameplay. However, other weapons in the Warrior's arsenal are also rather lacking, and greatswords are just one of the many others. Currently, the greatsword just doesn't have much of a place. Its one burst skill is utterly immobile, and the auto attack chain is weak, unlike both the Necro and the Guardian. When people say Warrior GS is for mobility, it's utterly ridiculous to not acknowledge the immobility of the burst. That itself severely limits its function and makes the mobility point moot. What's the point of weapon if it's just a mobility tool, much less when it's a honking greatsword?

@nicknamenick.2437 said:

@Harper.4173 said:Agreed - GS is now completely in the gutter.

you sure? bulls charge into 100b seems kind fun (33% more dmg now)

This worked way back when at the launch of the game when people didn't know what a stun break is.It was actually very good for about a month or so - BC+Frenzy+100B meant you killed someone in under 2 seconds more or less. That was when Quickness was also 50% faster than it is today.But no - this won't work in PvP today - especially since warrior has needed stances as utilities to survive for years now.

Archived