Where do all the cool kids go for PvE builds these days?

Lord Krilik.3692

I'm aware that people use Metabattle and QTFY, but these builds are so focused on partcular contect types that I'm not always able to find something suitable for a certain class.

Is there a site that has example open-world PvE builds for people who spend a lot of time solo?

I know, the concensus is you can use "any" build in open-world, but let's be honest, this is considerably less true for more recent maps like HoT onwards where the enemies are far more punishing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Take that meta build and start adding some defence there step by step If needed. Start from traits(usually enough) then change rune set, If thats not enough take defence stat trinkets. If you still feel too classy get armor with More def stats too or recommed learn to survive with More classy build.

Elementalist is a good example. Take ele Raid build on hot maps and you Will go down or atleast i did. Took water/arcane/tem traitlines instead and now i feel much better.

I hate it that there is no such site. I always get triggered when a new player starts to play with his warrior and asks for build help and what he gets is a link to qT raid buids... Now he is playing solo content with a support build that has too little survivability and keep dying against HoT mobs. Even PvP builds would be better for beginner players who are struggling with HoT story mode.

Sadly, there is no such thing. It's kind of a shame too since there are some builds that are not well suited for instances content, but are still amazingly efficient for open world.
An example is a flamethrower juggernaut scrapper build. It's a low DPS build in dungeons since the might stacking is redundant with a PS warrior and camping flamethrower would be a big DPS loss as well. However, in open world, it sustains more might than you would be able to have in any other solo build, which offsets the weak flamethrower auto and the pulsing stability makes high knockdown areas, such as in HoT and Orr much smoother to deal with.
But I don't think every profession has a build like this and sometimes the meta build is the best for open world content too.

You can take a suggested raid or dungeon build and tweak it for more defense. Or conversely take a pvp or wvw build and tweak it for more offense.

For example on my Ele I took a WvW roaming Auramancer build, and changed the earth traitline for lightning to get fresh air, a few gear pieces and utilities. Works like a charm in open world with lots of heals, regen, vigor, condi cleanses and isn't that much weaker than a zerka meta because it has high personal fury uptime.

WvW roaming builds in particular seem to be decent choices for open world PvE because they tend to focus on self sustain, while not totally abandoning all offense for support.

The best thing I can recommend is sound judgement. All the choices that QT and metabattle make for their builds aren't arbitrary. They're done for specific reasons. So long as you can ration out which trait or skill will be better than others for a particular place.

Use the gear. You'll want to use the recommended raid/fractal gear for three reasons:

1: In case you want to do raids/dungeons, you'll be prepared.2: You can always change your traits and utilities easily, but changing your gear is expensive and hard.3: Difficulty with playing the game in glass cannon gear is often a l2p issue. As you get better at the game, you'll need defenses less and less.

EDIT: O.K., I have no idea why the text appears as gigantic caps locked mess when I try to make a list.

Tbh the easiest Open world builds are usually Closer to a pvp meta build then a raid meta build, Most of us raiders are just to lazy to change more then a few triats for better self buffing.Just use the pvp Sektion on metabattle is My recomendation.They have survivability as Well as dmg in mind, if you can't or simply don't want to use a raid build.

I appreciate that you recognize that a raid build is not necessarily a good solo open-world build, but they are usually a good place to start. Just try to consider why the guide asks you to use certain foods or sigils or runes, and make sure they still make sense if you aren't relying on buffs from nine other players. Sometimes a few details can be switched around to make the build far better suited to solo content.

As for defense, well… I still lean a bit toward the "l2dodge" camp, because I personally don't find it that difficult to stay up on an ~11,000 hp Tempest. Normally if I'm dying, it's to something that would've still killed me had I been in, say, Marauder's gear, so I usually find that traits that offer stability or stun breaks are usually more conducive to my survival than just stacking vitality. If you want to go with more defensive gear for open world I won't judge you, just don't assume it can't be done in glassy gear.

copied from my guild website.

While there is many sights devoted to Meta and "optimal" builds, not all of them are fun, solo or new player friendly. so this will be devoted to builds that will help in the harder areas while in small groups or solo. I plan to have several builds for each class as time goes on. post if you have any requests, questions or suggestions.

Thiefthis build has a fair amount of sustain thru self regen, blindness, weakness and blocks. the mobility is crazy and damage is good too. i was able to solo the cursed shore champion giant with this build quite easily with minimal dodging....cause im lazy.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAqaWn8MBVmidOBWOB8PhFfCbeAeAfgbBgXTAqLtsmyBA-jhRGAB1r+DSK/4TJY56DYf/BAeCAAA-e

Warriorthis build generates insane rage, and heal spams. swap to defense weapon set to stun lock or destroy breakbars. you will spend most of your time in axes. looks quite comical with an asura......http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQRAnX5ejMdQlH25B+dAnIG6BqMKa8swCgCIC06o3/BA-jRRYABgofAAlffu/APq/QjSQA-e

Guardianthis is my main character, and build. 1 on 1, its slow, thanks to permeating wrath and symbols, 10 on 1 goes by quite quickly. this is my face-tank. you should be able to solo almost anything with this guyhttp://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRApe7dnkICVDhdDBOCB0EhjGiKPf33+dH2FIAwFQEMCA-jBSGABopHAgnAwkaGE4kAonSQCV/589HaS5HA-e

Necrothe taboo minion-master. (i love this guy) thanks to the life siphon its near unkillable and does nice damage too and alot of C/C for break bars. gear wise, you can do what you want, but since it focus on siphon, which scales with power and healing, you may want to do some mix of those. i often do a mix of knights and/or clerics. *the big thing about siphon, is that not only does it BYPASS armor, but it triggers on ALL attacks. this makes it killer when you are partied with a class that does multi hits like the axe warrior i posted above, or a symbol guardian.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJARWnM0Adbit1AO1As3glpBL+DWCfhSDgCQAYqldBqAA-e

Rangerthis is my usual druid-self heal pet-tank. good in random event groups too. despite using clerics gear, it has decent damage, a lot of which comes from your pet. make sure to spam the buffs from axe and warhorn.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBHhZ6keVoiVsmVwfFgoFsUIYOtuZ3PAurGWTrP7uoVAA-jxRDABXq+TWK/A4UAo/+DGqE0hnAge6DAA-e

this is my non-druid variation ranger tank. tested on large groups of mordrimoth in dragons stand (5-10, including 1-2 veterans). and was able to solo them quite easily. pocket raptors as well, no issue. keep in mind, abuse your buffs, protection heals and dodging gives protection, so does earth spirit. this makes you tanky as hell. use call of the wild every time its up, and right before a fight. your off weapon can be whatever you want. axe and warhorn are a must tho.

as a bonus, it doesnt have that stupid knockback that will annoy any guardians that may be around.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBHhF6kHRoVFsXFwfFgoFMUIUerP7/wv7RbA0x7qfCA-jxRDABZp87S1f0f/BHeAAAcCAMUJoe6DAA-e

@Esquilax.3491 said:You can take a suggested raid or dungeon build and tweak it for more defense. Or conversely take a pvp or wvw build and tweak it for more offense.

WvW roaming builds in particular seem to be decent choices for open world PvE because they tend to focus on self sustain, while not totally abandoning all offense for support.

This! Roaming builds are fantastic for open world pve.

@Delgotta.3817 said:copied from my guild website.

While there is many sights devoted to Meta and "optimal" builds, not all of them are fun, solo or new player friendly. so this will be devoted to builds that will help in the harder areas while in small groups or solo. I plan to have several builds for each class as time goes on. post if you have any requests, questions or suggestions.

Thiefthis build has a fair amount of sustain thru self regen, blindness, weakness and blocks. the mobility is crazy and damage is good too. i was able to solo the cursed shore champion giant with this build quite easily with minimal dodging....cause im lazy.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAqaWn8MBVmidOBWOB8PhFfCbeAeAfgbBgXTAqLtsmyBA-jhRGAB1r+DSK/4TJY56DYf/BAeCAAA-e

Warriorthis build generates insane rage, and heal spams. swap to defense weapon set to stun lock or destroy breakbars. you will spend most of your time in axes. looks quite comical with an asura......http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vJAQRAnX5ejMdQlH25B+dAnIG6BqMKa8swCgCIC06o3/BA-jRRYABgofAAlffu/APq/QjSQA-e

Guardianthis is my main character, and build. 1 on 1, its slow, thanks to permeating wrath and symbols, 10 on 1 goes by quite quickly. this is my face-tank. you should be able to solo almost anything with this guyhttp://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRApe7dnkICVDhdDBOCB0EhjGiKPf33+dH2FIAwFQEMCA-jBSGABopHAgnAwkaGE4kAonSQCV/589HaS5HA-e

Necrothe taboo minion-master. (i love this guy) thanks to the life siphon its near unkillable and does nice damage too and alot of C/C for break bars. gear wise, you can do what you want, but since it focus on siphon, which scales with power and healing, you may want to do some mix of those. i often do a mix of knights and/or clerics. *the big thing about siphon, is that not only does it BYPASS armor, but it triggers on ALL attacks. this makes it killer when you are partied with a class that does multi hits like the axe warrior i posted above, or a symbol guardian.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vRAQJARWnM0Adbit1AO1As3glpBL+DWCfhSDgCQAYqldBqAA-e

Rangerthis is my usual druid-self heal pet-tank. good in random event groups too. despite using clerics gear, it has decent damage, a lot of which comes from your pet. make sure to spam the buffs from axe and warhorn.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBHhZ6keVoiVsmVwfFgoFsUIYOtuZ3PAurGWTrP7uoVAA-jxRDABXq+TWK/A4UAo/+DGqE0hnAge6DAA-e

this is my non-druid variation ranger tank. tested on large groups of mordrimoth in dragons stand (5-10, including 1-2 veterans). and was able to solo them quite easily. pocket raptors as well, no issue. keep in mind, abuse your buffs, protection heals and dodging gives protection, so does earth spirit. this makes you tanky as kitten. use call of the wild every time its up, and right before a fight. your off weapon can be whatever you want. axe and warhorn are a must tho.

as a bonus, it doesnt have that stupid knockback that will annoy any guardians that may be around.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBHhF6kHRoVFsXFwfFgoFMUIUerP7/wv7RbA0x7qfCA-jxRDABZp87S1f0f/BHeAAAcCAMUJoe6DAA-e

Niceeee!!! But do you have a link to that website or is it clan only, I'd like to take a look at some ele engi and reve builds :D

Niceeee!!! But do you have a link to that website or is it clan only, I'd like to take a look at some ele engi and reve builds :D

these are actually builds that I came up with. its only posted on my guild forum and here. with the release of PoF, i will be designing more builds like these, with elite and non-elite specs in mind. feel free to contact me anytime to see what im cooking up,

@Delgotta.3817 said:Guardianthis is my main character, and build. 1 on 1, its slow, thanks to permeating wrath and symbols, 10 on 1 goes by quite quickly. this is my face-tank. you should be able to solo almost anything with this guyhttp://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRApe7dnkICVDhdDBOCB0EhjGiKPf33+dH2FIAwFQEMCA-jBSGABopHAgnAwkaGE4kAonSQCV/589HaS5HA-eRangerthis is my usual druid-self heal pet-tank. good in random event groups too. despite using clerics gear, it has decent damage, a lot of which comes from your pet. make sure to spam the buffs from axe and warhorn.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBHhZ6keVoiVsmVwfFgoFsUIYOtuZ3PAurGWTrP7uoVAA-jxRDABXq+TWK/A4UAo/+DGqE0hnAge6DAA-e

this is my non-druid variation ranger tank. tested on large groups of mordrimoth in dragons stand (5-10, including 1-2 veterans). and was able to solo them quite easily. pocket raptors as well, no issue. keep in mind, abuse your buffs, protection heals and dodging gives protection, so does earth spirit. this makes you tanky as hell. use call of the wild every time its up, and right before a fight. your off weapon can be whatever you want. axe and warhorn are a must tho.

Well it looks like my weekend is shot by trying these!

I do often wish there was a website with true class guides. Not just "slot this, wear that, memorize this 50-step rotation on an immobile, passive dummy", all with a full static "ideal" raid group in mind, but a in-depth look at all weapons, skills and traits, their possible synergies, existing bugs or other issues, etc., with recommendations for different environments, skill levels and budgets. Of course, writing that and keeping everything tested and updated would be a lot of work for even one class, nevermind all nine. :/

@Chadramar.8156 said:I do often wish there was a website with true class guides. Not just "slot this, wear that, memorize this 50-step rotation on an immobile, passive dummy", all with a full static "ideal" raid group in mind, but a in-depth look at all weapons, skills and traits, their possible synergies, existing bugs or other issues, etc., with recommendations for different environments, skill levels and budgets. Of course, writing that and keeping everything tested and updated would be a lot of work for even one class, nevermind all nine. :/

indeed! at least true open world categories and not just dungeons, instances based.

Archived