PvP Matchmaking Experiment: December 13, 2017 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

PvP Matchmaking Experiment: December 13, 2017

On Wednesday, December 13, 2017, we will be running an experiment on the unranked queue. We’ll be severely reducing the range of skill ratings that can be in a match together. We expect this to have a big effect on the queue times, mostly at the high and low end of skill ratings.

We’ll turn this on Wednesday morning (Pacific Time) and turn it off on Thursday morning (Pacific Time).

We’ll be looking at data from this experiment with an eye to potential future changes. Please feel free to let us know your thoughts if you participate in PvP during the experiment period by posting in this thread.

Thank you!

Ben Phongluangtham
Game Designer
Reddit: ANET_BenP
Twitch: AnetBenP

Tagged:
<1

Comments

• Ahh. Quality reduction in matchmaking only to get stomped quicker by 2 mesmers, firebrands, and a scourge. Atleast we don't have to complain about que times :D

• I will make sure to have popcorn at the ready since I'll only be able to "participate" through enjoyment of the forum uproar (or maybe there won't be any. We'll have to see). Though, if I didn't have to work, I'd love to add to data collected. :grin:

Don't believe anything you've heard. None of it is remotely close to my actual insanity.

• Morwath.9817Morwath.9817 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2017

Sounds good, Quaggan for sure will do some Unranked matches tomorrow!

• @ArthurDent.9538 Oh. Well it still doesn't change my previous comment about team comps.

• Looking forward to see how this pans out. From what i've noticed i get what i would call close matches about a 1/3 of the time. The other 2/3 seem to be lopsided be it a win or loss. I'll try and spread out some matches throughout the day if i can as well.

Asura Necro
    "Be excellent to each other." - Wild Stallions

• Eddbopkins.2630Eddbopkins.2630 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2017

Yes about time this is being addressed.....lets hope this much attention to pvp can continue into the 2018 year....the more you guys participate in pvp in any way the more we the gammers will to.
    1 update every 3-4 months.....no good at all..
    Droping new specs in the middle of a competitve seaaon no good as well.

• It's been addressed thank you. @Eddbopkins.2630

• Sry ill delet it

• sephiroth.4217sephiroth.4217 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think it's a good change...

I introduce a friend to pvp who has less than 700 AP and we got matched against team pz premade.... very off putting match to show someone pvp.

Not to brag, but I put together a puzzle in 4 days and the box said 2-4 years.
    CLICK HERE FOR A FREE SCREEN CLEANING SERVICE
    Please allow team queue with rewards again at our own discretion - Playing till last friend leaves.

• Curious on what happen if you teamup during this experiment though, does MMR just kinda take the average of two?

[RED] Crimson Sunspears...your small family guild since 2015.

• @NICENIKESHOE.7128 said:
    Curious on what happen if you teamup during this experiment though, does MMR just kinda take the average of two?

It takes the average of the pair.

Ben Phongluangtham
    Game Designer

• Abelisk.4527Abelisk.4527 Member ✭✭✭✭

Ooh exciting! Many people have asked for this.

• MarshallLaw.9260MarshallLaw.9260 Member ✭✭✭✭

@dragonkain.3984
    It's not confirmed as a permanent change. Given the volume of complaints on some parts of this forum, they certainly have to see what can be adjusted, and what better way to do this than to test on a live audience for a limited period of time.
    I'm sure most players will put up with increased ques ** for one day** if it ultimately results in a better MM system for the future.

• Rodzynald.5897Rodzynald.5897 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2017

But what about bad players who play strong builds and get carried to the skill rating they do not belong to? There are still bad players with high skill rating and this is pretty much another issue that creates one-sided matches. Yes, I know, every game has those, but based on my years of pvp experience in MMORPG's I can say that in GW2 there is a particulary high ammount of such examples, especially with a rising tendency after HoT launch.

Casual friendly and quality pvp - these two do not work well together.

• Ghos.1326Ghos.1326 Member ✭✭✭

@dragonkain.3984 said:
    Hahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahah, they want to turn pvp into a ghost town with 30-60+ min queues xD So funny to observe their decision making process xD

reading this, it appears to be a little childish. Do you enjoy being in a team of people with relatively low MMR against top tier players and getting stomped to the floor?
    I sure don't. I like to improve by accepting defeat, but I do not like getting farmed by high level players and being unable to learn much at all because everything happened so fast.
    Anyway, how will this turn pvp into a ghost town? I rather have a few extra seconds or minutes finding a good matching team I can be on instead of be rushed into a match and get stuck with people at a lower skill level than me. Just saying bro.

The greatest enemy to improvement, is ignorance. But the desire to learn will cast ignorance into the fire.

• Very first match was a 4v5 where the guy never even loaded the map. Guild Wars 2 is a great product that I would recommend to my friends

• Since Ranked is unplayable with the player base, afks, and bots. All i do these days is unranked since it's more fun. You should do a TDM unranked Que like SH and Conq so you can see how we want options. conq is too stale and boring, it has been like that since a year after the launch.

• This is now live on the unranked queue. Please let us know your experiences here. Our expectation is that queue times go up on average. The most affected should be at the very low and very high end of the skill rating spectrum.

Ben Phongluangtham
    Game Designer

• jsut did a game with a mate, had to wait 20+ min to do an unranked game. Just remove this mm it can't work (not enough players), i only do pvp if i cant play the game because of q time its insane.

Flash - SlaSh
    Eu PvP-Only Player - Support Gameplay - Best of the Best Eu

• Yasi.9065Yasi.9065 Member ✭✭✭

Queueing alone I get match pops every few minutes. Takes a tiny bit longer than before, but overall not dramatic.

• ArthurDent.9538ArthurDent.9538 Member ✭✭✭✭

It might be helpful if people who comment on their q times also post their ranked league or mmr. Would give better indication of how the changes are affecting each group of players.

• Loop.8106Loop.8106 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2017

I dont know, but this doesn't seem to work all that great.

Edit: The queuetimes were between 1 and 4 minutes.

Slam Jammed self proclaimed strongest core guardian on this side of the atlantic.

• last games were decent q time actually :) idk

Flash - SlaSh
    Eu PvP-Only Player - Support Gameplay - Best of the Best Eu

• Yasi.9065Yasi.9065 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2017

Something I noticed, though its of no relevance in unranked... I get put in the same team with the same people quite a lot if I dont wait a bit with queueing to de-sync. At the same time, if I wait 3-5 min between queues, I get new players and still queuepop in 1-3 min, so its not because of small playerpool.

/edit:
    No clue what my rating is, I havent played ranked in ages because of the shenanigans going on there with wannabes and ap hunters. I think it should be quite volatile still atm, and probably around silver to gold level. At least the players I get placed with arent very good, but not total noobs either. Just the usual gw2 players with basic understanding of conquest mode.

First game of unranked: I ask "what is your ratings?"
    Person A: 0
    Person B: 867
    Person C: i don't have one

My rating is 1613. Queue took me less than 4 minutes, I believe.

• Morwath.9817Morwath.9817 Member ✭✭✭✭

In Quaggan experience games are way much better, as 500 : 100 blowouts are more rare.

• I played 3 unranked games at 1:00 AM (GMT + 1/ PST - 9) at EU server. They was much better than other unranked games at other days.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

@Abelisk.4527 said:
    First game of unranked: I ask "what is your ratings?"
    Person A: 0
    Person B: 867
    Person C: i don't have one

My rating is 1613. Queue took me less than 4 minutes, I believe.

Keep in mind that people can't actually see their unranked skill rating. Players have a separate rating for unranked, since it's used so much for experimentation and messing around.

Oh, my bad. I see thanks for the response.

• sephiroth.4217sephiroth.4217 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2017

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

@NICENIKESHOE.7128 said:
    Curious on what happen if you teamup during this experiment though, does MMR just kinda take the average of two?

It takes the average of the pair.

Hi, I would like to report that I currently love your new match making....

I popped into a few games with a friend who just managed to hit 1k AP, level 18 pvp rank and just about all of our games had a 50 point difference.... The other team had players matching my skill and his skills, so I was able to handle the players that were a bit more skilled than he was by keeping them busy on side points while my team and the rest of their team focused on mid.

(Australian players, longest queue time was 3 minutes)

Not to brag, but I put together a puzzle in 4 days and the box said 2-4 years.
    CLICK HERE FOR A FREE SCREEN CLEANING SERVICE
    Please allow team queue with rewards again at our own discretion - Playing till last friend leaves.

• Q time: 28 mins and counting
    Good experiment so far.

• Overall match experience in unranked are better, my queue time also still managable around 3 mins. I'm plat 1 NA so that's probably why my queue time is alright, cause i'm around in the middle of the pack, not too high not too low. I like the update so far!

• Pterikdactyl.7630Pterikdactyl.7630 Member ✭✭✭✭

First match today I got put against a 4-man group with current #1 NA, so that was a blowout, but beyond that matchmaking has felt okay. I have been having to tell people how to rotate more than usual, so maybe my unranked rating just sucks?

• Chaith.8256Chaith.8256 Member ✭✭✭✭

Noticing a huge variation in queue times, and huge variations in player's skill in a match. Still. It's not a perfect test, as players often play outlandishly bad things and learn a new class in unranked frequently, not knowing what their buttons do. Also, the presence of large groups (4queue teams) makes some wonky matchmaking.

twitch.tv/chaithh
    Forum Lord Chaith

• Whenever the queue is taking too long you just restart it. I get games within 2 minutes, but they weren't balanced games with people of similar skill.

• I was able to play 1 game tonight. I think the queue was about a minute or so, game ended with a difference of about 20 points. Not bad, but I'm probably in the middle/low-middle in terms of skill grouping.

<1
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.