PvP Matchmaking Experiment: December 13, 2017

• ArenaNet Staff

On Wednesday, December 13, 2017, we will be running an experiment on the unranked queue. We’ll be severely reducing the range of skill ratings that can be in a match together. We expect this to have a big effect on the queue times, mostly at the high and low end of skill ratings.

We’ll turn this on Wednesday morning (Pacific Time) and turn it off on Thursday morning (Pacific Time).

We’ll be looking at data from this experiment with an eye to potential future changes. Please feel free to let us know your thoughts if you participate in PvP during the experiment period by posting in this thread.

Thank you!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Biguyshrooms.2051 said:Ahh. Quality reduction in matchmaking only to get stomped quicker by 2 mesmers, firebrands, and a scourge. Atleast we don't have to complain about que times :D

I think you got it backwards, they are reducing the allowable range for match making which will result in longer queues on average but in theory more balanced matches.

• ArenaNet Staff

@ArthurDent.9538 said:

@Biguyshrooms.2051 said:Ahh. Quality reduction in matchmaking only to get stomped quicker by 2 mesmers, firebrands, and a scourge. Atleast we don't have to complain about que times :D

I think you got it backwards, they are reducing the allowable range for match making which will result in longer queues on average but in theory more balanced matches.

Correct. Only on the unranked queue.

@dragonkain.3984It's not confirmed as a permanent change. Given the volume of complaints on some parts of this forum, they certainly have to see what can be adjusted, and what better way to do this than to test on a live audience for a limited period of time.I'm sure most players will put up with increased ques for one day if it ultimately results in a better MM system for the future.

But what about bad players who play strong builds and get carried to the skill rating they do not belong to? There are still bad players with high skill rating and this is pretty much another issue that creates one-sided matches. Yes, I know, every game has those, but based on my years of pvp experience in MMORPG's I can say that in GW2 there is a particulary high ammount of such examples, especially with a rising tendency after HoT launch.

@dragonkain.3984 said:Hahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahah, they want to turn pvp into a ghost town with 30-60+ min queues xD So funny to observe their decision making process xD

reading this, it appears to be a little childish. Do you enjoy being in a team of people with relatively low MMR against top tier players and getting stomped to the floor?I sure don't. I like to improve by accepting defeat, but I do not like getting farmed by high level players and being unable to learn much at all because everything happened so fast.Anyway, how will this turn pvp into a ghost town? I rather have a few extra seconds or minutes finding a good matching team I can be on instead of be rushed into a match and get stuck with people at a lower skill level than me. Just saying bro.

Archived