Can we stop having super ridiculous elitist achievements?

xiiliea.9356

Just a rant at Anet's content design recently.

Achievements should be challenging but not so ridiculous that they take weeks of retrying, especially when they don't entirely rely on your own skills. I'm talking mainly about LNHB, but also about things like Dhuum CM.

Why does LNHB even require you to complete all 3 bosses in a row without dying? Why can't it be like The Eternal at the very least, where you just have to kill the 3 bosses without dying once? I've been trying this achievement for weeks and it's near impossible to get it when people always /gg to reset cooldowns or want only people with LNHB in experienced runs. I remember Fractals used to be a more fun environment where you just do it with anyone and don't mind carrying one or two new players. Now you have people asking you to show your title and ping kill proof and getting mad when you aren't perfect. Fractals have stopped being fun for me, but toxic. Now, before you tell me "but you don't have to do it," contents are meant to be done, and you can't deny that the requirements are ridiculous.

And Dhuum CM. I have a guildmate who had been trying it for 3 weeks, and was looking for people with 250+ attempts. Then I had another guildmate who was hosting a practice run, and was looking for "experienced people"... for a practice run. If your achievement takes hundreds of tries and weeks of attempts to accomplish (or not), then it's just ridiculous, and causes a very elitist, toxic environment.

A game is meant to be fun, not stressful. You have to draw the line somewhere, and not just keep making things harder just because people can complete something.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Weindrasi.3805 said:I mean, there's a variety of achievements from super easy to super hard. If the super hard ones are too stressful, don't worry about them.

I'm not someone who gives up just because something is too hard. But when something is way too hard and sometimes out of my control (because I need to depend on other players), then it gives me reason to complain.

@Lunateric.3708 said:I am at a point I get LNHB daily, I can carry you through it bro, no cost. It's stupid easy

Thanks, I'll be glad for any help just to get this done with :) (But we still need 3 other players as well)Anet really needs to stop adding such achievements, especially when they depend not only on you, but other players as well.

@xiiliea.9356 said:

@Weindrasi.3805 said:I mean, there's a variety of achievements from super easy to super hard. If the super hard ones are too stressful, don't worry about them.

I'm not someone who gives up just because something is too hard. But when something is way too hard and sometimes out of my control (because I need to depend on other players), then it gives me reason to complain.

@Lunateric.3708 said:I am at a point I get LNHB daily, I can carry you through it bro, no cost. It's stupid easy

Thanks, I'll be glad for any help just to get this done with :) (But we still need 3 other players as well)Anet really needs to stop adding such achievements, especially when they depend not only on you, but other players as well.

I have a fractal group, we run every night 9 PM PST (NA), just add my ID and I'll make your title happen.

@"xiiliea.9356" said:

That's not "retrying." You have progress, so that kind of achievements are never frustrating.

...never frustrating? 5 years later and some people aren't even close to some of them... (E.g Yakslapper pre/post total reduction)...

sure... /shrug

@Hoon.1524 said:

@"xiiliea.9356" said:

That's not "retrying." You have progress, so that kind of achievements are never frustrating.

...never frustrating? 5 years later and some people aren't even close to some of them... (E.g Yakslapper pre/post total reduction)...

sure... /shrug

Most people that actively played WvW, got that achi as soon as the totals were reduced though. I think one of my Guildies had 200k dollies killed before it was reduced. Hardly frustrating, people that actually played the content regularly, have it or are halfway there on Yakslapper at least. That’s continual progression. LNHB you’d have to start from 0 every time someone dies.

@Dawdler.8521 said:Yeah lets bring back the old normal achievements, like quarter of a million dolyak kills.

It required a million.

@Ashen.2907 said:Does this mean that we should ask for fractals to be removed because for some people they are extremely difficult?

@"Coulter.2315" said:Go to your dictionary, look up "achievement."

Hope this helps.

This is why I said the game has become toxic and elitist. "I can do it. You can't? Too bad." is the kind of attitude some people give now

@xiiliea.9356 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:Does this mean that we should ask for fractals to be removed because for some people they are extremely difficult?

@"Coulter.2315" said:Go to your dictionary, look up "achievement."

Hope this helps.

This is why I said the game has become toxic and elitist. "I can do it. You can't? Too bad." is the kind of attitude some people give now

You realise that is the only end point response that makes sense in a world with varied skill levels and varied challenges, right? You can try and give tips and help but at the end of the day some people will not be able to get everything they want, to which the only response is "I can do it. You can't? Too bad." Anything else is going to be evil in one way or another (mass culling of the low skilled population or the removal of all content which is too hard for the worst player in the game).

@"xiiliea.9356" said:Just a rant at Anet's content design recently.

Achievements should be challenging but not so ridiculous that they take weeks of retrying, especially when they don't entirely rely on your own skills. I'm talking mainly about LNHB, but also about things like Dhuum CM.

Why does LNHB even require you to complete all 3 bosses in a row without dying? Why can't it be like The Eternal at the very least, where you just have to kill the 3 bosses without dying once? I've been trying this achievement for weeks and it's near impossible to get it when people always /gg to reset cooldowns or want only people with LNHB in experienced runs. I remember Fractals used to be a more fun environment where you just do it with anyone and don't mind carrying one or two new players. Now you have people asking you to show your title and ping kill proof and getting mad when you aren't perfect. Fractals have stopped being fun for me, but toxic. Now, before you tell me "but you don't have to do it," contents are meant to be done, and you can't deny that the requirements are ridiculous.

And Dhuum CM. I have a guildmate who had been trying it for 3 weeks, and was looking for people with 250+ attempts. Then I had another guildmate who was hosting a practice run, and was looking for "experienced people"... for a practice run. If your achievement takes hundreds of tries and weeks of attempts to accomplish (or not), then it's just ridiculous, and causes a very elitist, toxic environment.

A game is meant to be fun, not stressful. You have to draw the line somewhere, and not just keep making things harder just because people can complete something.

because some achievements are meant to be hard to get, you are not entitled to being able to get all achievements or they woudnt be called that in the first place. if a players cant manage it he / she does not deserve it. just my 2 cents.

@MarkoNS.3261 said:

@"xiiliea.9356" said:Just a rant at Anet's content design recently.

because some achievements are meant to be hard to get, you are not entitled to being able to get all achievements or they woudnt be called that in the first place. if a players cant manage it he / she does not deserve it. just my 2 cents.

oh and if it bothers you so much you can always pay one of those sellers that will be glad to take your gold, but i dont recommend that, just put in effort my demons demise and gwamm took effort and you dont get those titles withouth effort.

I don't really have a problem with the achievements myself, but the responses in this thread are nasty. This is the problem people have when they talk of elitists. They speak of nastiness spewed for things as trivial as suggesting an achievement is maybe a little too difficult. This thread started out so positively too. :'(

Archived